It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv
You really are hung up on the sex thing aren't ya? Strange.....

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
a reply to: kaylaluv
You really are hung up on the sex thing aren't ya? Strange.....

Oooh good one. Ya really got me. Zinger!

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
As long s it doesn't infringe on the rights of anyone else, then it should be allowed.

That includes sex ed, Harry Potter, Huck Finn, flag burning, Koran burning, Christ in a jar of urine, football players taking a knee at the national anthem, drawing Mohammed, marrying same sex partners, smoking dope, BLM speaking their mind, KKK speaking theirs,. . . .

Lying is allowed by the Constitution so even fake news, lies, satire, opinion pieces disguised as news, should be allowed.

What part of "freedom" do people not get?

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

All of it. People never get a goddamn thing right. People like to take away rights from themselves then scream bloody murder.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
As long s it doesn't infringe on the rights of anyone else, then it should be allowed.

That includes sex ed, Harry Potter, Huck Finn, flag burning, Koran burning, Christ in a jar of urine, football players taking a knee at the national anthem, drawing Mohammed, marrying same sex partners, smoking dope, BLM speaking their mind, KKK speaking theirs,. . . .

If its FORCED on a kid.

Isn't that infringing?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

is 'math' forced on children?

is knowledge 'forced' on children?

is history, insight, values, ethics. . . 'forced' on children?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

My son would say yes every time I make him do his math homework. With children as a parent you simply try to make sure your child is equipped with the information he will need to succeed in life. Attempting to shield them from reality is just stupid. Not only will it be ineffective but they suffer as situations arise they cant understand or deal with. And even worse the attempt to shelter them can lead to severe consequences like say pregnancy or death.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Apparently "infringing" on their rights by "inflicting" different perspectives is something to be avoided.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
If its FORCED on a kid.

Isn't that infringing?

Home school them.

The Supreme Court has already ruled that children in public schools have some of their Constitutional rights limited while there.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
not really sure if someone hasn't already told yous but the books were put back on the shelves..

www.wdbj7.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

it's kind of obvious that some parents would provide less freedom than the schools are giving the kids...
I mean, it was a complaint by a parent that got the books temporarily banned from the library wasn't it?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar
Excellent news!!! Thank you for the update

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Phew! Crisis averted. Now we can sleep contentedly in our beds with dreams of sugarplums and fairies. Until the next crisis.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Good news. Censorship never solved anything besides making one or two people feel good about themselves.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Seriously?

You are comparing Math to Huck Finn?

There are plenty of good books on history, insight, values, ethics, etc - - - without repeating the "N" word 219 times.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
With children as a parent you simply try to make sure your child is equipped with the information he will need to succeed in life.

YES! And me and my kid have side-by-side desks. There's NO Nonsense when it comes to school.

He has a sign over his that says: "Do What Ya Gotta Do - - Before Ya Do What You Wanna Do".

He's still not gonna be forced to read Huck Finn.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Annee
If its FORCED on a kid.

Isn't that infringing?

Home school them.

The Supreme Court has already ruled that children in public schools have some of their Constitutional rights limited while there.

I don't support home school.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Fine. Don't have your kid read it.

But don't dare to impose your ideology to what my child can and cannot read.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Fine. Don't have your kid read it.

But don't dare to impose your ideology to what my child can and cannot read.

I didn't say that.

I said I won't allow it to be forced.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

but at the time that these books were written, wasn't the language appropriately used?
so, would kind of be a lesson of history wouldn't it?
lol... I have some very old religious booklets together they are called something like the children's library... these have the n word in them also, and like I said, they are religious material..
I also have a few old books, one I would very much like to read for personal reasons, but I just can't get through the overwhelming racist slurs in the book. but, they are all probably pretty accurate representations of the historical fact that our ancestors were quite racist. they were racist, and sexist, sometimes quite brutal, far more than they are today. it's how we interpret that fact, process it in our own psyche that matters. I tend to see it as evidence that mankind on a whole has advanced quite a bit on a spiritual level, that some of our ancestors were very brave and sacrificed to push that advancement forward.. by hiding the ugliness of the past, we hide the evidence of that advancement.

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35 >>

join