It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yale Psychiatrist show that Psychic Abilities exist

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

It's just 3 or 4 people saying the same thing over and over.

As opposed to you, saying the same thing over and over?

Yes, the article supports psychic ability

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

It's just 3 or 4 people saying the same thing over and over.

As opposed to you, saying the same thing over and over?

Yes, the article supports psychic ability

I'm responding to posts while you guys say the same thing over and over and you haven't refuted anything that has been said. You don't like the title, so what. If you don't like it, post somewhere else. Stop repeating it over and over again. We heard you on page 1 and there's people here debating the thread with real responses not just clogging up the post. You don't have to post in this thread. There's plenty of other threads you can post in.

Stop whining about the same thing. Like I said, people are debating the issue and having a conversation. You have made it known on page 1 that you don't like the title. Okay, you don't have to repeat it for 8 pages. Move on please!

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MamaJ
In May of 2010 here in Tennessee we had a "historic" flood. My boyfriend at the time went missing although we knew where his car got held up, it was left hanging on a guardrail. .

We looked for months!!! Although the news never said how we found him, we didn't find him with our own eyes, we didn't find him with rescue dogs either.

He was found by a local psychic. Call her nuts... whatever I don't really care. We took her down the river and she pointed saying he is under the debris right here. After months of endless searching this woman found Danny. So.. imo this ability exists outside the scope of understanding. One day we will understand the mechanism of such an ability.

A more than four-month search for a Pegram man swept away in May flooding may have ended Sunday afternoon when skeletal remains were found along the Harpeth River in Bellevue. Metro police are waiting for confirmation from the Medical Examiner’s Office that the remains — along with wallet and cell phone — found among debris near Highway 70 and McCrory Lane are Danny Tomlinson. The 39-year-old has been missing since early Sunday, May 2, when his car was swept away by floodwaters on Newsome Station Road near Buffalo Road. The car was found May, but searchers were unable to locate Tomlinson. Tomlinson's family and volunteers found the remains during an organized search.
nashvillecitypaper.com...

wkrn.com...

Thanks and great points. More evidence for psychic ability and this article supports a biological basis for psychic abilities and this is why theResearches said this:

“These individuals have a much higher degree of control over the voices. They also have a greater willingness to engage with and view the voices as positive or neutral to their lives,’’ Corlett said. “We predict this population will teach us a lot about the neurobiology, cognitive psychology and eventually treatment of distressing voices.”

If these Psychic abilities didn't exist, how could they tell these Researchers more about neurobiology and cognitive psychology?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Can you quote precisely where the article says that "Psychic Abilities exist"?

I can't find anywhere where it says they exist.
edit on 7102016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Can you quote precisely where the article says that "Psychic Abilities exist"?

I can't find anywhere where it says they exist.

Did you read the title of the thread?

I said Yale Psychiatrist SHOW not SAY

Do you know what SHOW means?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Oh, I'm sorry.

So, they "showed" it how? By using the word? Wow!

Unicorns!

I have just shown unicorns exist! Go me.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Wrong, it's the same 3 or 4 people repeating themselves over and over again because they can't refute anything that I have said. Yes, the article supports psychic ability and I have laid out why this is the case. Nobody has refuted anything I have said. It's just 3 or 4 people saying the same thing over and over.

We heard you 3 or 4 pages ago. Enough is enough. If you can't refute anything that's being said, go to another thread and stop your whining. You're clogging up the thread with your silly nonsense.

My quick count was that there were at least 21 unique people on this thread who said [paraphrasing] "The Yale psychiatrist does not ever show that psychic abilities exist"

Again, you seem to be getting stuck on the fact that the Yale psychiatrist labeled these people as "psychic", as if calling them that is proof that he thinks they have psychic abilities. He only used that label because those people themselves feel that the voices they heard was because they were psychic.

And that was the whole point in picking these people for the study. Picking the self-proclaimed psychics was not done because the Yale guy though the people really were psychic. He picked them because they believed themselves to be psychic.

Whether or not people who hear voices in their heads really are psychic or not is not relevant, and the Yale scientist did not assign any relevancy to whether or not psychic ability was real. He remained silent on the issue of whether or not the people who called themselves psychic really had psychic abilities.

I really can't figure out how you are misreading the context of this pretty straightforward article so wrongly.

Maybe they do have psychic abilities. However, coming away from this article with the conclusion that the Yale scientist showed that they do is reading too much into it and making up conclusions that aren't necessarily supported by the article.

edit on 2016-10-7 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Oh, I'm sorry.

So, they "showed" it how? By using the word? Wow!

Unicorns!

I have just shown unicorns exist! Go me.

What?

Read the thread. I explained how and went into things like synaptic pruning that also shows a biological connection.

The fact is, you pseudoskeptics can't refute anything that's being said so you repeat the same nonsense over and over again. Go to another thread if you can't debate the issue. Stop clogging up this one with your silly nonsense.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

All you've done is prove that you have comprehension issues.

So, show me where they show that physics are real.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

You said:

Again, you seem to be getting stuck on the fact that the Yale psychiatrist labeled these people as "psychic". He only used that label because those people themselves feel that the voices they heard was because they were psychic.

Nope, he used the label because that's what they are. This is why we use labels in this Country. They tell you in the article:

Powers and Philip Corlett, assistant professor of psychiatry and senior author on the paper along with Yale neuroscience graduate student Megan Kelley, studied a group called clairaudient psychics, who report receiving daily auditory messages. The subjects who reported hearing voices were given tests from forensic psychiatry designed to identify those who falsely claim to be hearing voices in order to avoid criminal prosecution. Both psychics and psychosis patients had similar scores on tests meant to detect false claims of hearing voices. However, patients with schizophrenia were much more likely to report negative experiences when hearing voices or discussing the voices with other people.

THEY WENT TO A GROUP CALLED CLAIRAUDIENT PSYCHICS!

Yes, these people were used because they're Psychic LOL! You guys can't refute anything that's being said. Stop whining and repeating yourself.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

More reading issues I see.

You really can't see that what he is saying is not what you want it to be?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

Nope, he used the label because that's what they are. This is why we use labels in this Country. They tell you in the article:

Powers and Philip Corlett, assistant professor of psychiatry and senior author on the paper along with Yale neuroscience graduate student Megan Kelley, studied a group called clairaudient psychics, who report receiving daily auditory messages. The subjects who reported hearing voices were given tests from forensic psychiatry designed to identify those who falsely claim to be hearing voices in order to avoid criminal prosecution. Both psychics and psychosis patients had similar scores on tests meant to detect false claims of hearing voices. However, patients with schizophrenia were much more likely to report negative experiences when hearing voices or discussing the voices with other people.

THEY WENT TO A GROUP CALLED CLAIRAUDIENT PSYCHICS!

Yes, these people were used because they're Psychic LOL! You guys can't refute anything that's being said. Stop whining and repeating yourself.

That excerpt you bolded only tells me that they chose people who really thought they were hearing voices in their heads, instead of using people who knowingly and consciously lied about being able to hear voices.

This study wanted to look at the differences between:

1. People who hear voices but are OK with it.
2. people who hear voices but are debilitated by it.

That's it. The study is all about people who hear voices in their heads; it has nothing to do with having psychic abilities. The only reason why the Yale scientist picked people who truly believed themselves to be psychic is because those people in general were OK with the voices...i.e., they were not debilitated by the voices like the second group was.

However (and this is the point of comprehension of the article with which you seem to be having trouble), just because these people truly believed themselves to be psychic, that does NOT mean the Yale scientist thought that they truly were psychic. The only thing that matter is that the people themselves believed they were psychic.

Maybe they were "truly" psychic, maybe they weren't, but the Yale scientist did not make any assertion that these people truly were psychic.

edit on 2016-10-7 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I found the abstract for the study.

We found the hallucinatory experiences of psychic voice-hearers to be very similar to those of patients who were diagnosed.

schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.org...

I would be interested in the methodology used in the selection of the psychics but not enough so to pay $40.

edit on 10/7/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

What are you talking about?

Have you even read the thread?

Who said anything about anyone being "truly" psychic? What does that even mean?

I said they have shown that Psychic abilities exist. I said in the OP and OVER AND OVER AGAIN that they never tried to show id these Psychics were actually communicating with the dead or there spirit guides.

You guys say the same thing over and over and it has nothing to do with what I said:

This is from the OP:

Think about that. These Yale Psychiatrist just validated these Psychics. Now, we can't say if the voices are coming from their spirit guides as some of them say but you can't say they're lying when they say that they're having a conversation with these guides.

MY GOODNESS!!

You guys don't read. I clearly stated they showed a biological basis for Psychic ability which they agree with. They said:

“These individuals have a much higher degree of control over the voices. They also have a greater willingness to engage with and view the voices as positive or neutral to their lives,’’ Corlett said. “We predict this population will teach us a lot about the neurobiology, cognitive psychology and eventually treatment of distressing voices.”

This is plain as day.

They're saying these Psychics have control over these voices and can tell them more about neurobiology and cognitive philosophy.

This clearly shows a biological basis for psychic ability. Whether or not Psychics communicate with the dead or spirit guides is something else.

Please stop repeating yourself because you're not responding to anything that was actually said.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

They have control over the voices. They were more positive than "regular" schizophrenics.

That in no way shows that the article is showing that psychics exist.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The Abstract and Paper supports exactly what I'm saying:

Abstract

Hearing voices that are not present is a prominent symptom of serious mental illness. However, these experiences may be common in the non-help-seeking population, leading some to propose the existence of a continuum of psychosis from health to disease. Thus far, research on this continuum has focused on what is impaired in help-seeking groups. Here we focus on protective factors in non-help-seeking voice-hearers. We introduce a new study population: clairaudient psychics who receive daily auditory messages. We conducted phenomenological interviews with these subjects, as well as with patients diagnosed with a psychotic disorder who hear voices, people with a diagnosis of a psychotic disorder who do not hear voices, and matched control subjects (without voices or a diagnosis). We found the hallucinatory experiences of psychic voice-hearers to be very similar to those of patients who were diagnosed. We employed techniques from forensic psychiatry to conclude that the psychics were not malingering. Critically, we found that this sample of non-help-seeking voice hearers were able to control the onset and offset of their voices, that they were less distressed by their voice-hearing experiences and that, the first time they admitted to voice-hearing, the reception by others was much more likely to be positive. Patients had much more negative voice-hearing experiences, were more likely to receive a negative reaction when sharing their voices with others for the first time, and this was subsequently more disruptive to their social relationships. We predict that this sub-population of healthy voice-hearers may have much to teach us about the neurobiology, cognitive psychology and ultimately the treatment of voices that are distressing.

We introduce a new study population: clairaudient psychics who receive daily auditory messages.

THEY DIDN'T SAY PEOPLE WHO CLAIM TO HEAR VOICES!!!

They have validated Psychic Ability!!

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

They have validated Psychic Ability!!
No. They have "validated" hallucination. But that's not really new.

We found the hallucinatory experiences of psychic voice-hearers to be very similar to those of patients who were diagnosed.

edit on 10/7/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

No they haven't!!!!

Using a word that someone calls themselves doesn't confirm what they are.

Again, if you want to play that game, unicorns are real, Santa is real, fairies are real, snuffleupagus is real. Why? Because they're named.

Do you not see how rediculous your claim is?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

No they haven't!!!!

Using a word that someone calls themselves doesn't confirm what they are.

Again, if you want to play that game, unicorns are real, Santa is real, fairies are real, snuffleupagus is real. Why? Because they're named.

Do you not see how rediculous your claim is?

LOL, are you serious???

How many Yale Psychiatrist are using Unicorns in a study? How do Unicorns call themselves Unicorns??

GRASPING LOL!!

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

The only one grasping, is you.

It's been explained since PAGE ONE that you're wrong, but you stick your head in the sand and don't listen.

Your confirmation bias is at level 11.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join