It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yale Psychiatrist show that Psychic Abilities exist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
It's funny how things come full circle. Just look at Science. They're basically saying the same thing Plato said years ago about the nature of reality.

“I think that modern physics has definitely decided in favor of Plato. In fact the smallest units of matter are not physical objects in the ordinary sense; they are forms, ideas which can be expressed unambiguously only in mathematical language.”
― Werner Heisenberg

Today Scientist have serious debates on whether the universe is a hologram or a simulation. Again, the Ancients debated these same things years ago without the double slit experiment or quantum entanglement.

So, here we go again:

Psychics help psychiatrists understand the voices of psychosis

People with psychosis are tormented by internal voices. In an effort to explain why a Yale team enlisted help from an unusual source: psychics and others who hear voices but are not diagnosed with a mental illness.

They found that the voices experienced by this group are similar in many ways to those reported by people with schizophrenia, with a few big differences: Psychics are much more likely to perceive the voices as positive or helpful and as experiences that can be controlled, according to a new study published Sept. 28 in the journal Schizophrenia Bulletin.

“We have known for some time that people in the general population can have the experience of hearing voices—sometimes frequently—without the need for psychiatric intervention,” said Albert Powers, a psychiatry fellow and lead author of the study.

news.yale.edu...

Let's stop here for a second. The skeptic has been saying for years that Psychics are liars and charlatans but this study is telling us that some Psychics are telling the truth.

First, Let's define Psychic Abilities.

When you say psychic ability, that could mean several things:

Aura Reading

Channeling

Clairvoyance

Clairaudience

Clairsentience

Divination

Dowsing

Intuition

Levitation

Precognition

Psychometry

Pyrokinesis

Telekinesis

Telepathy

Hear we're talking about Clairaudience

Powers and Philip Corlett, assistant professor of psychiatry and senior author on the paper along with Yale neuroscience graduate student Megan Kelley, studied a group called clairaudient psychics, who report receiving daily auditory messages. The subjects who reported hearing voices were given tests from forensic psychiatry designed to identify those who falsely claim to be hearing voices in order to avoid criminal prosecution. Both psychics and psychosis patients had similar scores on tests meant to detect false claims of hearing voices. However, patients with schizophrenia were much more likely to report negative experiences when hearing voices or discussing the voices with other people.

By comparing the psychics’ experiences with those of people with schizophrenia and a control group of healthy subjects, the authors claim to have found some clues as to what may be protecting this group of healthy voice-hearers.

“These individuals have a much higher degree of control over the voices. They also have a greater willingness to engage with and view the voices as positive or neutral to their lives,’’ Corlett said. “We predict this population will teach us a lot about the neurobiology, cognitive psychology and eventually treatment of distressing voices.”

Think about that. These Yale Psychiatrist just validated these Psychics. Now, we can't say if the voices are coming from their spirit guides as some of them say but you can't say they're lying when they say that they're having a conversation with these guides. These conversations are real. This occurs in 5% to 28% of the population so that's over 350 million people that hear voices.

I have a cousin we call Goody because he seems to have so much good luck. He recently left a high paying job in Chicago, moved to Dallas to start a business and now it's on it's way to being a multi-million dollar business. I asked him years ago, what's the secret to his success. He said everytime he makes a big decision, he talks it over with a female voice in his head. I always thought he was joking but I'm calling him this week and I'm going to ask him about that.
edit on 6-10-2016 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2016 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

^^^

He's right you know.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
One psychiatrist agrees...

Tom Cruise hates psychiatrists.

edit on 10/6/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

As a Psychic, while I see this as a good thing I'm fearful of how society will treat us if we are exposed out in the open. I fear the rise of discrimination against us a la the X Men.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Ah science be praised!

It takes a high level of hubris to rule out dimensions of our consciousness that we have simply not been able to understand, so kudos to the scientists doing this study for maintaining an "open mind"!

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

The skeptic has been saying for years that Psychics are liars and charlatans but this study is telling us that some Psychics are telling the truth.
No. It isn't. It says that some people really think they hear voices that don't originate from their own heads.

Just in case someone doesn't read the article, it says that you don't have to be tormented by those voices you hear. It just depend on your point of view.

They found that the voices experienced by this group are similar in many ways to those reported by people with schizophrenia, with a few big differences: Psychics are much more likely to perceive the voices as positive or helpful and as experiences that can be controlled, according to a new study published Sept. 28 in the journal Schizophrenia Bulletin.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

So the "honest" psychic's are schizophrenics with more positive delusions.

Hardly proof of psychic ability, interesting tho.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: elementalgrove

Ah science be praised!

It takes a high level of hubris to rule out dimensions of our consciousness that we have simply not been able to understand, so kudos to the scientists doing this study for maintaining an "open mind"!

Great points and it ends this way:

Researchers say the approach may be unusual, but is justified by lack of progress in treating illnesses like schizophrenia.

“Our understanding of psychosis is limited, and we’ve made only incremental progress for the past 50 years,” Corlett said. “The research may be unusual, but big, intractable problems require creative and sometimes unorthodox solutions.”

The Yale Department of Psychiatry and the Brain and Behavior Research Foundation provided primary funding for the research.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Where's the part that says

Psychic Abilities exist

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I was reading it in a different context than what you were implying. Honestly, i think its a good thing, to give hope to people who may think theyre a nutter for various things that could possibly be construed as psychic phenomena for legitimate reason.

edit on 6-10-2016 by OneGoal because: Different context

edit on 6-10-2016 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: OneGoal

Is that what they think? All of them?

Do you know what the word "some" means?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   

I have always found it interesting that in aboriginal cultures they would take members of the tribe displaying schizophrenic tendencies and have them trained as medicine men.

Due to their innate ability of perceiving altered states of consciousness, they had the ability to communicate with aspects of nature, such as plants and gain wisdom.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

Due to their innate ability of perceiving altered states of consciousness, they had the ability to communicate with aspects of nature, such as plants and gain wisdom

Or, they had a different point of view. Altered states tend to do that.
Different points of view can be good. It doesn't mean they have anything to do with communicating with bushes.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: elementalgrove

I have always found it interesting that in aboriginal cultures they would take members of the tribe displaying schizophrenic tendencies and have them trained as medicine men.

Due to their innate ability of perceiving altered states of consciousness, they had the ability to communicate with aspects of nature, such as plants and gain wisdom.

Exactly and in some of these cases, maybe the person is just frightened by the voices and they can learn to accept them. There could also be voices that are destructive and downright evil. I can see how these voice could drive you crazy.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Exactly and in some of these cases, maybe the person is just frightened by the voices and they can learn to accept them. There could also be voices that are destructive and downright evil. I can see how these voice could drive you crazy.

When discussing the realm of human consciousness, we truly can not fathom the various influences that affect our conscious mind.

Our subconscious is a mystery, one way of describing those inner voices has justifiably been considered "demonic" and there naturally would be the opposite of "angelic".

I appreciate Carl Jungs work on the "archetype"!

edit on America/ChicagoThursdayAmerica/Chicago10America/Chicago1031amThursday2 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   

I just hate to see a perfectly reputable physicist have a quote of his improperly taken out of context.

“I think that modern physics has definitely decided in favor of Plato. In fact the smallest units of matter are not physical objects in the ordinary sense; they are forms, ideas which can be expressed unambiguously only in mathematical language.”
― Werner Heisenberg

These smallest units of matter he was referring to is really just an allusion for the physics of information. Information being not physical.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

What??

It's exactly what Heisenberg was saying. Here's more:

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.”
― Werner Heisenberg

“What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning.”
― Werner Heisenberg, Physics and Philosophy: The Revolution in Modern Science

“The reality we can put into words is never reality itself.”
― Werner Heisenberg

“[T]he atoms or elementary particles themselves are not real; they form a world of potentialities or possibilities rather than one of things or facts.”
― Werner Heisenberg

I think you need to read what was actually said.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   

I'm familiar with Heisenburg, and QM.

I read your OP.

But I'm failing to see where the Yale psychiatrist produced anything emperical, let alone reproducible, in the case of evidence for psychic abilities.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   

He didn't say they were psychic. He said thinking you were psychic was a special subset of schizophenics.

In other words, they're nuts, but a nice pleasant sort of nuts.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam
Nuts who are happy with being nutty?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join