It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Yale Psychiatrist show that Psychic Abilities exist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:23 AM

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: neoholographic

First of all, a psychiatrist cannot validate claims of psychic capability. Why? Because psychiatry is a science in the same way that pop music is a concerto. It is soft edged, imprecise, and experimental doctrine in that field is about as rigorous as the much famed "man look" when a fellow has misplaced his keys.

I wouldn't even call it science, because it is based on observations and opinions. Now surely if I see a star somewhere, someone else can observe it too and that's all fine. But if I look at a woman, I may find her attractive, while another man might find her repulsive or vice versa. Psychiatry has something similar. It's not like there is a suspect of psychosis and then they put them in a room with 9 others and the psychiatrist has to guess who the patient might be. No, they get reports and their views are all colored before they even see a patient.

Furthermore, I am surprised to see this distinction made between individuals who have negative or positive experiences with the voices in their heads, because as far as I was aware, the polarity of ones experiences do not have any effect on the diagnosis. If you hear voices, absent a speaker to speak them, then you have schizophrenia, not superpowers, regardless of whether they are telling you to eat the flesh of the innocent, or make sure that you tell the next person you meet that everything will be ok, and not to forget to pick up the laundry.

Now I believe in an afterlife and also spirits but that there shouldn't be contact else it's bad. But there is no proof, it's just my belief I chose more or less. So that is the only correct response to hearing voices; it's a defect or schizophrenia, I would say it's bad spirits because they have no place in the world of the living with some exceptions. But no one can say it's a physical defect since there are no means to proof it (there are no DNA tests, no brainscans even though the public usually believes there is).

So as to your surprise, it's all about appearances. Psychics are usually stronger as a person and able to defend themselves and their lifestyle in court while psychiatrists usually go after the mentally weak who are not.

There's also another thing, usually people spread fear about people who hear voices but again a psychic might be convincing in their denial of being a threat and reassure they are not while schizophrenics (weaker-minded) can't. It's all a game based on willpower since there is no physical proof. Some psychiatrists can say someone is a danger to themselves or others with such conviction the listener might assume there's been a long trial of tests and it's the same as the earth is flat and the sun revolves around the sun.

Now, scientifically speaking, showing a difference between these two is actually impossible, leading the critical thinker to believe that they are indeed, identical conditions which present differently depending on the particular mind in which they occur. However, you posted a list of supposed psychic abilities.

On that list, there are some capabilities which can be tested very easily, with a great deal of scientific methodology.

These, and probably ONLY these can be studied in a truly scientific fashion, with any hope of successful or useful result. Levitation, Pyrokinesis, and Telekinesis all have visible effects on solid matter, which can be recorded using a plethora of apparatus, in multiple spectra, without reliance on taking anyone at their word. Precognition could also be tested in a scientifically valid manner, by simply blindfolding an adept of the talent, and putting them in a room with fifty or so dodgeball launchers.

But testing one of the many supposed expressions of psychic powers, which are entirely internal in their outworking, seems a bloody stupid thing to do, if what you are after doing, is using ACTUAL science to study the claim that people walking the world, have psychic abilities.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:23 AM

I'm actually familiar with most of the links and experiments you have provided. Some have had their own threads here.

I actually have a really elaborate hypothesis about Psi in relation to Consciousness & Information, but I don't want to get all into that here.

I should also say that I am not one to rule out the many phenomena of Psi as impossible. Rather, I think that (scientifically) we have gone about observing this phenomenon the wrong way. But I won't get into that here either.

edit on 10/6/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 05:30 AM
All of the above abilities, you named can be summed under one word - mediation. Mediation of any kind is possible, as existence itself is not fully separated, thus with the proper effort the channels between the separated in our view parts of life are destined to open. How we use this powers however, is another important topic.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 06:18 AM

i think you maybe took things out of context..

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 06:20 AM
a reply to: TrueBrit

Well, zoology is a great field.. I use it for validating

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 06:21 AM
Nowhere in the article does it say that psychic abilities are real or verified.
In fact it implies the opposite - that psychics are in fact schizophrenics who are better at handling the voices.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 06:21 AM
So ... basically this report says that "psychics" are functional psychopaths?

Hmmm ... I don't agree completely, but given that, there's certainly no "proof" here for psychic powers.

OP treads the razor's edge of dishonesty here, in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 06:33 AM

originally posted by: Phage
One psychiatrist agrees...

Tom Cruise hates psychiatrists.

They don't jive with the whole dianetics thingy.
Why pay a doctor $150.00 for 45 minutes when we can hook you to an E-meter for twice the price LOL

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 06:33 AM
a reply to: tikbalang

Thats great, but it is not psychiatry is it? You cannot use psychiatry to validate a physical interaction between an unknown force and a physical object, because that is the job of a physicist, not a psychiatrist.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 06:46 AM
Pretty annoying the OP can't even read an article properly and portraying it as something else, where some members will take his word. At no point did they prove they were telling the truth/speaking to entities. The article merely states they display simular traits to schizos, only that they take a more positive view on these voices.

Hurts me to see someone be willfully delusional.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 06:50 AM

Ever wondered if a well trained dog hears your voice of reasoning, before chasing a white rabbit down its hole?

hallelujah! What would Jesus do?!

Who is your voice of reason?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:07 AM
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

well he wanted mutant powers to be real.. As long as its for good

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:31 AM

I don't quite understand your argument. You first say (a) that psychiatry is "soft-edged" and "imprecise", then (b, in paragraph two) dismiss the idea of psychic ability ("superpowers"), deferring to psychiatric diagnosis (schizophrenia). Can you clarify what you mean? If (a) is true, shouldn't we - theoretically - be both more open-minded toward phenomena that psychiatry can't validate, and more skeptical toward those it claims it can?

ETA: I'm neither arguing for the existence of psychic ability nor defending psychiatry.
edit on 6-10-2016 by MiddleInitial because: Edit to add

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:04 AM
Nice clickbait title. Too bad it's utter BS. Nowhere was it shown that psychic abilities exist. All that was shown was that many self proclaimed psychics are schizophrenic.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:48 AM

originally posted by: neoholographic

Where were the Psychics ever characterized as having hallucinations?

You don't think that these conversations are real but who cares? This isn't what was said in the article. From the Psychics perspective these conversations are real and meaningful and you have nothing but a biased and blind opinion to refute it.

"Hearing voices" is an auditory hallucination. The voices do not give them commands that they feel compelled to follow, therefore they are non-command hallucinations.

The article doesn't say they are real, either. The article just says that the group classified as "psychic" were better able to control the voices and did not find them distressing.

This article simply does not say what you are claiming it says.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 09:15 AM
I notice that your "in your face" blind arrogance is still in full effect.

It's a shame really as your beliefs and theories are quite interesting, if only you could control your attitude and listen to others you could perform a great service, instead you are merely making people walk away from you instead.

You actively ignore what people point out and post if it does not agree to your invalid points, even your main OP article states the opposite of what you state it does and yet you keep making delusional posts saying it says something different when it does not and is in plain easy to read for the lay person black and white text.

I find these theories interesting as example when I was younger I had the ability to be able in a sense see 1-3 seconds in time and see an action I was about to perform such as tripping and dropping my pie on the ground at the same time I was walking, or being able to recognize a place I had never been or seen before, but as I grew older I began to research and find that some of the abilities that I had known were common in the brain and had actual scientific reasons, and some did not hence the reason I continue to investigate some "odd" "stuff" I have been witness to.

It was similar to the moon landing, I believed maybe the first was faked, but I grew up from a young preteen/early teenager and began questioning everything, which lead me to investigate everything with a completely open neutral mind without dismissing anything regardless of how implausible it was; I grew up, wised up and got smart.

You're only driving people away which is very unfortunate.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 09:19 AM
a reply to: MiddleInitial

At no point did I state that I was unwilling to entertain the idea of a psychic ability, or psychic abilities potentially existing.

What I am saying, is that psychiatry is not adequate to the task of identifying said psychic abilities, or proving that they exist. Furthermore, in order to prove the existence of subtle abilities, like telepathy and similar, it will be necessary to find an example of an OVERT psychic talent, like a pyrokinetic individual, or a telekinetic individual, and test their abilities with REAL science, thermal imaging, high speed cameras, multispectral analysis devices and the like. Only then can we start to speculate about talents which are far harder to prove or identify.

Its a little like dark matter and energy. We know that regular matter, overtly obvious matter with charge, spin and mass, exists. Now that we know that for certain, and have done for a good while, we can begin the search for more exotic, less easily defined matter. The same applies with these alleged skills. We must start with the blatant, and work our way toward the subtle, if anything of import is to be learned at all.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:10 AM
It's a dangerous statement for those who regularly got a psychosis.

They can begin to think that what they have is an extraordinary thing. And should be listening to or gives them a free ticket to do something that they didn't do themselves.

I do understand that it could be something that can be linked to some kind of psychic ability.

What do we know about the human brain?
If you're losing the ability to hear your conscience about right or wrong you are losing the ability to judge things clearly in life.

Also a lot of medication given also could destroy your clear thinking about everything.

It's a thin line and we're not there yet to understand it I guess.

What kind of people does the army uses to learn the remote control thing?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:23 AM

OK, So I read the article in the OP...

...but I'm wondering how the OP read that article and came away thinking that it said "Yale Psychiatrist show that Psychic Abilities exist". That article said nothing of the sort.

What the article DID say was that people who claim to be psychics might be hearing false voices in their heads for the same reason the schizophrenics hear false voices, but the people who claim to be psychic are simply less bothered by it, and regard the voices as positive rather than being tormented by them.

From the OP's linked article:

They found that the voices experienced by this group are similar in many ways to those reported by people with schizophrenia, with a few big differences: Psychics are much more likely to perceive the voices as positive or helpful and as experiences that can be controlled, according to a new study published Sept. 28 in the journal Schizophrenia Bulletin.

Neoholographic --
Could you please further explain how you concluded that this Yale researcher showed that "psychic abilities exist" from that article?

edit on 2016/10/6 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:31 AM
Psychics have been saying for years they're talkinng to their Astral body and hearing their Astral voice. This confirms it. Whether you believe the Psychic or not is inconsequential. Your opinion doesn't matter.

This isn't a debate about your beliefs about Psychics. This is evidence that Psychic ability is real. It's so real, Yale Psychiatrist enlisted Psychics to help them with their study.

Also, you now have Scientist talking about other versions of ourselves as Psychics and others have been saying for years.

You have Psychics that:

Draw sketches of the criminal that commited the murder before the Police even have a suspect. That sketch goes on the news and leads to the capture of the criminal.

Tell Police the last name and where a person lives who commited the crime before the Police have a suspect.

You had a Psychic tell Police that a person that went to school with the victim murdered her. She looks at the school yearbook, puts her fingers over each picture and stops at the person who she says commited the crime. When Police investigated they found this person had an obsession with the victim and he eventually confessed to the murder.

The problem is, the pseudoskeptic wants to talk about psychic powers or they talk about psychic ability in terms of the supernatural. Psychic ability isn't supernatural, it's a natural phenomena that we don't yet fully understand.

I'm just glad to see these Yale Psychiatrist realizing that Psychic ability is real and can help in some areas.

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>