It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yale Psychiatrist show that Psychic Abilities exist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
This isn't a debate about your beliefs about Psychics. This is evidence that Psychic ability is real. It's so real, Yale Psychiatrist enlisted Psychics to help them with their study.

Well, no....

The Yale researcher did not enlist people who said they are psychic because the Yale researcher necessarily believed those people were psychic.

The Yale researcher enlisted the people who said they are psychics and hear voices in their heads for the same reason why a researcher might enlist a schizophrenic who is tormented by the voices in his head.

This was not a study of psychic abilities, but rather a study of how people who hear voices in their heads can react differently to those voices. Some schizophrenics are tormented by those false voices, while the people who claim psychic ability feel the voices are a positive thing.

However, just because some people who hear voices thinks the voices are a positive thing, that does not necessarily make the voices any more "real". Nothing in this article states that the Yale psychiatrist felt that the voices heard by self-identified psychics are real, nor was there anything in this article that said that psychic ability was real.

Again, I can't figure out how you are getting that message out of this article.

edit on 2016/10/6 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Box of Rain

I know, right?

There's literally NOTHING in the article that even hints as "Yale Psychiatrist show that Psychic Abilities exist".

What a ridiculous opening post. This is going to be another of OP's threads where he fundamentally misunderstands the article he posts and proceeds to scream and yell at other posters for pointing out the obvious to him. Count me out.
edit on 6-10-2016 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

This isn't a debate about your beliefs about Psychics. This is evidence that Psychic ability is real. It's so real, Yale Psychiatrist enlisted Psychics to help them with their study.

I'm just glad to see these Yale Psychiatrist realizing that Psychic ability is real and can help in some areas.

It says absolutely nothing of the sort.

Yale enlisted the help of people they believed were suffering from mental health issues (hallucinations) that had not disrupted their lives to the point of being given an official diagnosis.

The point of the study was to look for something that might help people with more severe mental health issues.

The study does not say that psychics are real, it just says that they suffer from a type of mental illness that is within their capacity to self-manage.

You seems very, very fixated on the idea, despite a very thorough rebuttal by multiple members - including the very study that you are citing. That's quite interesting in itself.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I'm just glad to see these Yale Psychiatrist realizing that Psychic ability is real and can help in some areas.

This didn't happen.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: neoholographic

As a Psychic, while I see this as a good thing I'm fearful of how society will treat us if we are exposed out in the open. I fear the rise of discrimination against us a la the X Men.

I knew you were going to post this.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

But it was an acacia bush! Some are known to have certain alkaloid substances that DO alter your state of consciousness. As in hallucinating. As in licking a certain toad or ingesting some ayahuasca tea. What do most people who ingested T&C-25 experience? Or even dimethyl___? They mostly "talk to god". Some say there are magical machine elves out there! The Amazonian ayahuasca drinkers were told how make the tea better by the plant itself! Doesn't "seeing a bush that doesn't burn" sound an awful lot like hallucinating wood grain waving around?

So when you drop out, you do actually tune in and see processes that your brain masks off like moving your eyes from side to side to get stereo vision. And when that happens, stationary wood grain becomes "trippy". So your mind is wonderful at taking any signal it receives and tries to put meaning to it. Even trippy ones. So you talk to god.

But that doesn't mean you are Carry at the prom covered in pig's blood enacting your revenge. Some say hallucinogens are psycho-mimetic as in they create conditions similar to psychosis. Again, that does not mean you can move cans across the table by thinking about it.

edit on 6-10-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: minding terms and conditions

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Yeah. That's pretty much my point.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yeah, I was just kind of tagging on there and was just making the psycho-mimetic point.

Besides, you had better music!

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I was excited by the headine....then i read the story. Its just bad science.

Psychosis is a debilitted cognitive ability. Hallucinations do not always manifest with psychosis. And an intelligent person, who's cognition is not hampered, will be able to find the benefit in the auditory hallucinations.

Its not PSI. Or, rather, it needs a lot more study to be linked to PSI.

I hd hoped this would dovetail with the Cornell paper from years back.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Box of Rain

THis seems more reasonable. I need to read the article, and not just the OP synopsis. If i only had the time.....

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

This didn't happen.

Of course it did. Just read the article.

Why would they go to Psychics if Psychics weren't real and they didn't have these abilities?

They said this:

“These individuals have a much higher degree of control over the voices. They also have a greater willingness to engage with and view the voices as positive or neutral to their lives,’’ Corlett said. “We predict this population will teach us a lot about the neurobiology, cognitive psychology and eventually treatment of distressing voices.”

Again, this confirms Psychics have the ability to control these voices to a degree. This is an ability Psychics have claimed they had and pseudoskeptics scoffed at.

Again, there's no need for these Psychiatrist to go to Psychics if Psychics aren't real. Whether you believe the Psychics are communicating with the dead or spirit guides is a mute point. Your opinion makes no difference in this case. You can't show they're not communicating with the dead or spirit guides but what we can show is that these conversations are real. This study along with others have shown this.

So again, the most you can say is you believe that Psychics aren't communicating with the dead or spirit guides but again, your subjective opinion of their abilities is meaningless.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Again, there's no need for these Psychiatrist to go to Psychics if Psychics aren't real.

Actually, there is. And the reason is stated in the first paragraph.

People with psychosis are tormented by internal voices. In an effort to explain why a Yale team enlisted help from an unusual source: psychics and others who hear voices but are not diagnosed with a mental illness.

It's known that some people hear voices. That does not mean that those voices come from anywhere but that person's own brain.

No. Yale scientists did not show that psychic abilities exist.

edit on 10/6/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Again, there's no need for these Psychiatrist to go to Psychics if Psychics aren't real.

People with psychosis are tormented by internal voices. In an effort to explain why a Yale team enlisted help from an unusual source: psychics and others who hear voices but are not diagnosed with a mental illness.

It's known that some people hear voices. That does not mean that those voices come from anywhere but that person's own brain.

You need to learn what your subjective opinion means. Your subjective opinion about Psychic Abilities is meaningless.

This shows that Psychics have these abilities and have some control over these abilities. They say these voices are a communication with the dead and with spirit guides. All we can say is that these conversations are real. You can have a subjective opinion on whether or not they're communicating with the dead or their spirit guides but your subjective opinion is meaningless.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Of course it did. Just read the article.

Please quote the text where they say psychics are real. Thanks.

Again, this confirms Psychics have the ability to control these voices to a degree.

And this proves what?

This is an ability Psychics have claimed they had and pseudoskeptics scoffed at.

As opposed to pseudo-psychics and pseudo-scientists?

Wrong.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

You need to learn what your subjective opinion means.

The scientists in question made no statement whatsoever about the legitimacy of psychic phenomena.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

They say these voices are a communication with the dead and with spirit guides.

I'm quite aware of what psychics say.

What I want to know is where:

Yale Psychiatrist show that Psychic Abilities exist
Because, after reading the article, that would seem to be your subjective fabrication.
edit on 10/6/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

You need to learn what your subjective opinion means.

The scientists in question made no statement whatsoever about the legitimacy of psychic phenomena.

Sure they did. They made a statement just by going to Psychics. Again, why would they go to Psychics if they weren't real?? They said:

“These individuals have a much higher degree of control over the voices. They also have a greater willingness to engage with and view the voices as positive or neutral to their lives,’’ Corlett said. “We predict this population will teach us a lot about the neurobiology, cognitive psychology and eventually treatment of distressing voices.”

They're opinion on whether Psychics are communicating with the dead or spirit guides is mute. The fact is, they have shown that Psychic ability is real.

WE PREDICT THIS POPULATION WILL TEACH US:

What population? If Psychic ability isn't real how could Psychics teach them anything about neurobiology or cognitive psychology if Psychic ability isn't real??

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

You need to learn what your subjective opinion means. Your subjective opinion about Psychic Abilities is meaningless.

The research did not say the voices are real nor made out of imagination. For that reproducable evidence is needed, so for example if these psychics could teach the researchers and they made experience the same. But that would be seen as a conversion and in negative terms indoctrination, mass hysteria etc. It should be a personal choice to believe in an afterlife complete with spirits or not and it shouldn't play a role in the world of the living, except for brief moments when confronted like passings of dear ones, news in the media.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Sure they did.

No they didn't.

They made a statement just by going to Psychics. Again, why would they go to Psychics if they weren't real??

Phage already answered this. They wanted a group of people who claimed to hear voices who had not been diagnosed with a mental illness.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Sure they did.

No they didn't.

They made a statement just by going to Psychics. Again, why would they go to Psychics if they weren't real??

Phage already answered this. They wanted a group of people who claimed to hear voices who had not been diagnosed with a mental illness.

He didn't answer anything and neither did you.

They wanted a group of people who had these abilities. There's no need to even go to Psychics if psychic ability isn't real. That makes no sense. Sadly, you can't separate your subjective opinion vs. the objective fact that psychic ability is real. Your opinion of these abilities is meaningless.

I remember in another post you were confused about the terms subjective and objective...HERE WE GO AGAIN!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join