It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yale Psychiatrist show that Psychic Abilities exist

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

You seems very, very fixated on the idea, despite a very thorough rebuttal by multiple members - including the very study that you are citing. That's quite interesting in itself.

Because Neo is - I'm guessing - one of the non-command voice hearing sorts himself?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

Why would they go to Psychics if Psychics weren't real and they didn't have these abilities?

They were interested in this class of schizophrenics?

Again, this confirms Psychics have the ability to control these voices to a degree. This is an ability Psychics have claimed they had and pseudoskeptics scoffed at.

And this is the aspect of schizophrenia that they were interested in studying. The quote you posted couldn't be more clear. They're not interested in any aspect of what the voices are saying. They're interested in how that group of people "get along with" or "adapt to" the voices, whereas many schizophrenics are tormented by them.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

What population?

The group of schizophrenics who call themselves 'psychics'.

If Psychic ability isn't real how could Psychics teach them anything about neurobiology or cognitive psychology if Psychic ability isn't real??

By studying why this group of schizophrenics can function better than other schizophrenics.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

You seem to be stuck on the idea that the Yale psychiatrist is using the label of 'psychic" to describe these people, as if the fact he calls them "psychic" means that me must believe that they have real psychic abilities. However, that is not the case; that's not why he labels them as "physcics".

When using that label, he is only identifying them as people who themselves believe there are psychic. That's very important. Whether or not they really are psychic is not relevant, and it doesn't really matter if the psychiatrist thinks they are psychic; what's important is that THEY think they are psychic.

Some schizophrenics who imagine hearing voices cannot cope with those voices and cannot properly function.

Some schizophrenics who imagine hearing voices believe that they can hear the voices because they are psychic, and find the voices to be a positive thing. Those schizophrenic people who call themselves "psychics" cope very well with hearing voices, and those people have less of a problem functioning.

This Yale study wants to know why and how, and if there is a mechanism to that coping that the people who identify as "psychic" uses that could help treat the other schizophrenics who cannot cope.

edit on 2016-10-6 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Just signed back up to this site, specifically to reply to your topic. In a word YES! "The Guides" The Inner Gestalt Moment of AHA! I "See and Feel" many things beforehand; a combination of visualizing quickly and inner instinct of something amiss here, but I cannot rely on it strictly for "Guidance" this causes its burn out for me. Too many variables, will paralyze "Seeing for yourself".

Schizophrenic voices, they are related to the psychic. They are the psychic in a current mental breakdown. Where your resilience to the Harshness of life finally chip away at your resolve, and you don't recall when you slipped on the slippery slope of madness. These voices, drown out the "rational" sounding ones.

-Matthew

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
i dont know that schizophrenics can be related to psychics.

i read somewhere that most physics actually "hear" thoughts and messages telepathically inside of their mind. not an actual voice. and it is not disruptive

schizophrenics on the other hand from what i understand hear actual voices that sound as if they are coming from distinct male and female sources that disrupt their lives.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
There are some issues I would like to cover....

1. Schizophrenia is a debilitating disease and b no frame of reference should such a condition be related to the idea that a person is "nuts". In consideration there are genetic factors consistent with a disorder that in fact may have much to do with
the effect of environment upon the human condition environmentally. And to be clear it probably has to do with the way we. generally speaking treat each other.

2. All experiences are the result of Internal functions of the brain. Everything a human can hear, smell, see, feel or smell are events that are occurring in the Brain, What we comprehend of reality is the result in humans and other animals the result of an experience is specific to brain activity. We can talk all we want about the input but in realty, said input relates in fact to what our brain is actually able to process.

3. This brings up an issue in context to what exactly is perceivable and to be obvious a point is the extent to which Consciousness can observe.

4. The study offered by the OP and subsequent responses relate the conclusion that for some reason these Psychiatrist did in fact label these subjects as "Psychic".

However there does seem a lack of information as to specifics as to why?
edit on 6-10-2016 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

The study offered by the OP and subsequent responses relate the conclusion that for some reason these Psychiatrist did in fact label these subjects as "Psychic".

Do you think it my be because the are self-described as such?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

The study offered by the OP and subsequent responses relate the conclusion that for some reason these Psychiatrist did in fact label these subjects as "Psychic".

Do you think it my be because the are self-described as such?

You are correct, sir. They self-identify as psychic, and using the term allows the reader to immediately identify what subset of "voice hearing" individuals are being referenced.

However, I'm disappointed that a news article on Yale's own website doesn't actually reference the study in question. Without seeing the actual study, it's hard to know how the researchers referred to them.
edit on 6-10-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I am asking a question?

I mean as someone is acknowledged as physic then there must be data to support the position.

edit on 6-10-2016 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111
i dont know that schizophrenics can be related to psychics.

i read somewhere that most physics actually "hear" thoughts and messages telepathically inside of their mind. not an actual voice. and it is not disruptive

schizophrenics on the other hand from what i understand hear actual voices that sound as if they are coming from distinct male and female sources that disrupt their lives.

That's all fair. However, the researchers sought people who "hear voices" who are not completely debilitated, to better understand why some people are more capable of handling this symptom than others. So, in that sense, the researchers are indeed relating the voices of schizophrenia to the voices of psychics.

Whether anything productive actually came of the study is impossible to say without seeing the full text.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

I found another reference to the study.
www.ctpost.com...

It refers to this journal:
schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.org...

But the article does not seem to be there.

There is this, by Powers and Corlett, but it doesn't seem to fit the bill.
www.biologicalpsychiatrycnni.org...(16)30031-3/abstract
edit on 10/6/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai

I am asking a question?

I mean as someone is acknowledged as physic then there must be data to support the position.

At the article Phage just posted, it's clear the term psychic is defined as "those who claim to hear voices speaking to them from the beyond."

It's a fairly narrow definition focused entirely on the manifestation of voices. Not all psychics claim to hear voices, so they were not defined as being part of this group.

Also from this article: Powers and a team of Yale researchers wondered if this group might hold a key to understanding auditory hallucinations in psychosis.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Ok so say for example you suffer damage to the sciatic nerve. Under certain circumstances such an injury could result in an experience of pain that effectively overpowers the pain centers of the human brain. The energy that is the result could in effect transfer of other parts of the brain in which a person in that situation could have all kind of sensory experiences due to the "overload".

Unconsciously it is possible that people can process much more information than they can process consciously, that seems apparent, in general.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai

Ok so say for example you suffer damage to the sciatic nerve. Under certain circumstances such an injury could result in an experience of pain that effectively overpowers the pain centers of the human brain. The energy that is the result could in effect transfer of other parts of the brain in which a person in that situation could have all kind of sensory experiences due to the "overload".

Unconsciously it is possible that people can process much more information than they can process consciously, that seems apparent, in general.

I don't have any experience with that sort of sensory overload, but what you are saying seems reasonable.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
How is he getting confused by this article so badly?

To sum this entire article up one go:

It states that some people with undiagnosed mental illnesses (not because they cannot be) can calm down the negative thoughts (AKA Voices) in their heads instead of acting on the violent thought patterns common in people with schizo disorders.

How hard is that to comprehend when anyone including those who dropped out before 9th grade (my partner and a friend for example who I had to show evidence for the moon landing because HOAX) and can read and write can understand plainly what is written in that article?

This is just silly now.

edit on 6-10-2016 by MuonToGluon because: Forgot the un in Undiagnosed, I tye quicker then I think

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

It is possible that other phenomenon similar to such an experience result in what is often called a psychic experience.

Just want you all to know that Miami, Florida has been spared from the dangerous effects of the current hurricane at issue.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

How is he getting confused by this article so badly?

Two words.
Confirmation bias.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

To be clear we all Hallucinate at issue is the accuracy of these experiences in relation to reality.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

The point is that the OP's confirmation bias is preventing him from understanding that his premise that:

Yale Psychiatrist show that Psychic Abilities exist

bears no relationship to the study in question.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join