It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yale Psychiatrist show that Psychic Abilities exist

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

What is wrong Phage don't you believe in Evolution

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

this reminds of when ingo swann freaked out those scientists with a test of his abilities

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

this reminds of when ingo swann freaked out those scientists with a test of his abilities

You mean that ex CIA, OT7 Scientologist, Ingo Swann? He was very crafty indeed.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
Of course they did. Did you read the article or the paper? I don't know why people on ATS act like these Researchers are stupid when they can't refute what's being said:

Scientists studied a group of psychics who claimed that heard voices in their head on a daily basis. The group was first put through tests administered by forensic psychiatrists to make sure that their claim was true. Both the psychics and people with psychosis fared the same in the test meant to weed out those who lied about hearing voices.

Researchers said that one major difference between the two groups was psychics mostly heard positive messages whereas patients were likely to report negative experiences.

“These individuals [psychics] have a much higher degree of control over the voices. They also have a greater willingness to engage with and view the voices as positive or neutral to their lives,” Philip Corlett, assistant professor of psychiatry and senior author on the paper, said in the statement. “We predict this population will teach us a lot about the neurobiology, cognitive psychology and eventually treatment of distressing voices.”

No they did not.

Even in your quote above, the scientist only wanted to figure out why some people who call the voices they hear "psychic ability" can cope with those voices that they hear. The research had nothing to do with those voices being an actual psychic ability.

It doesn't matter where the voices in peoples heads come from; they are only interested in why some people can hear voices in their heads and be OK with it, while other hear voices and are not OK with it.

Neoholographic:
One important thing you need to realize about the article you posted is that the Yale psychiatrist makes no distinction between the reason the two groups (people who feel that they are "psychic" and people who are tormented by the voices) are hearing voices.

Both groups of people who hear voices could both be hearing the voices for the same reason. That is, a schizophrenic person could be imagining voices that are not real, and the person who calls themselves psychic could be imagining voices that are not real. Or I suppose both groups could be receiving psychic memories. Or the reasons could be different. Who knows?

The point is that the article you posted makes no distinction between the reasons for hearing voices. It's about the effect those voices have on the person.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

True, but I'll go as far as to say that the Yale researcher strongly implied that people who feel the voices come from psychic ability are actually hearing voices for the same reason schizophrenic people hear voices.

It seems he is saying that the people claiming to be psychics are suffering from a form of schizophrenia. The difference is that the people who identify as psychic feel the voices are a positive, while the people disabled by schizophrenia don't. And, as you said, the point of this research is to hopefully find out why.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Scientific evidence for the existence of the clairvoyant ability to view subatomic particles in real time:
smphillips.8m.com...
But don't bother to tell the Amazing Randi. He's retired now and was, anyway, only interested in debunking psychics, not testing them.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
As someone with paranoid schizophrenia I've seen things that defy all logic. When people talk to god it's called religion when god talks to you it's called schizophrenia.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
In May of 2010 here in Tennessee we had a "historic" flood. My boyfriend at the time went missing although we knew where his car got held up, it was left hanging on a guardrail. .

We looked for months!!! Although the news never said how we found him, we didn't find him with our own eyes, we didn't find him with rescue dogs either.

He was found by a local psychic. Call her nuts... whatever I don't really care. We took her down the river and she pointed saying he is under the debris right here. After months of endless searching this woman found Danny. So.. imo this ability exists outside the scope of understanding. One day we will understand the mechanism of such an ability.

A more than four-month search for a Pegram man swept away in May flooding may have ended Sunday afternoon when skeletal remains were found along the Harpeth River in Bellevue. Metro police are waiting for confirmation from the Medical Examiner’s Office that the remains — along with wallet and cell phone — found among debris near Highway 70 and McCrory Lane are Danny Tomlinson. The 39-year-old has been missing since early Sunday, May 2, when his car was swept away by floodwaters on Newsome Station Road near Buffalo Road. The car was found May, but searchers were unable to locate Tomlinson. Tomlinson's family and volunteers found the remains during an organized search.
nashvillecitypaper.com...

wkrn.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I repeat, the issue is not whether psychic phenomena are real.

The issue is whether this experiment proves it.

Not only does it NOT prove it, it makes no attempt whatsoever to do so.

It's a garbage click-bait title with no substance whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

I agree.. it doesn't prove it. I am glad at least they are working on proving it but the fact remains it's not proof.

One day.....

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MamaJ
a reply to: Greggers

I agree.. it doesn't prove it. I am glad at least they are working on proving it but the fact remains it's not proof.

One day.....

The thing is, this study isn't even TRYING to prove it. It has nothing whatsoever to do with testing psychic ability. The researchers just needed a group of people who "hear voices" who didn't exhibit debilitating effects so they could compare/contrast with schizophrenics.

If people who worked at McDonald's claimed to hear voices (aside from the ones at the drive through), they could have substituted McDonald's employees for psychics.
edit on 7-10-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

As a Psychic, while I see this as a good thing I'm fearful of how society will treat us if we are exposed out in the open. I fear the rise of discrimination against us a la the X Men.

Very good point. I don't hear voices exactly but I do receive messages from loved ones, particularly my father. I also have had prophetic dreams and know immdeiately if a location is haunted or otherwise affected by "high strangeness" and other low level stuff. Even being able to experience the little smidge of psychic ability that I do, if people really knew about it and knew it's for real, I could definitely see that not going well for those of us with the ability. People fear what they don't understand and the fearfull easily turn to violence, especially in our Dumbed down and brain washed "idiocracy" like society.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: 191stMIDET

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

As a Psychic, while I see this as a good thing I'm fearful of how society will treat us if we are exposed out in the open. I fear the rise of discrimination against us a la the X Men.

Very good point. I don't hear voices exactly but I do receive messages from loved ones, particularly my father. I also have had prophetic dreams and know immdeiately if a location is haunted or otherwise affected by "high strangeness" and other low level stuff. Even being able to experience the little smidge of psychic ability that I do, if people really knew about it and knew it's for real, I could definitely see that not going well for those of us with the ability. People fear what they don't understand and the fearfull easily turn to violence, especially in our Dumbed down and brain washed "idiocracy" like society.

Good points and this is very important because it starts to give a biological basis for Psychic ability. I always said that the pseudoskeptic is just being dishonest when they try to act like psychic ability is some sort of supernatural thing. It's something natural that we don't fully understand and to me that's even more exciting.

This study validates psychic ability. In fact it says this ability can teach them A LOT about neurobiology and cognitive psychology. This directly ties psychic ability to biology.

I think Psychics are more aware because of synaptic pruning.

Children have 1,000 trillion synapses and the number of synapses declines to 100 to 500 trillion as you go to adulthood. It seems that you become more aware as you get older but I believe you become less aware of our surroundings and more self-aware.

Psychics ability could occur becauses synapses doesn't fully decline. I think this is why psychics are aware of things that other humans are not. As humans become more self aware they close themselves off to things around them that they can fully grasp.

It's also interesting that Science is now trying to connect schizophrenia to synaptic pruning. So Psychics can have a different range of synaptic pruning and therefore their more open to these things.

The researchers pieced together the steps by which genes can increase a person’s risk of developing schizophrenia. That risk, they found, is tied to a natural process called synaptic pruning, in which the brain sheds weak or redundant connections between neurons as it matures. During adolescence and early adulthood, this activity takes place primarily in the section of the brain where thinking and planning skills are centered, known as the prefrontal cortex. People who carry genes that accelerate or intensify that pruning are at higher risk of developing schizophrenia than those who do not, the new study suggests.

Some researchers had suspected that the pruning must somehow go awry in people with schizophrenia, because previous studies showed that their prefrontal areas tended to have a diminished number of neural connections, compared with those of unaffected people. The new paper not only strongly supports that this is the case, but also describes how the pruning probably goes wrong and why, and identifies the genes responsible: People with schizophrenia have a gene variant that apparently facilitates aggressive “tagging” of connections for pruning, in effect accelerating the process.

www.nytimes.com...

So people with Schizophrenia could have accelerated pruning while Psychics have decelerated pruning which could explain the difference.

This would mean Psychics have access to things that mainstream Science talks about like extra dimension, a simulated or holographic universe, a quantum mind or quantm self and more. Here's Theoretical Physicist Leonard Susskind talking about how another version of ourselves lives on the horizon of the universe. It starts at 6:40.

Again, a very important article that shows the importance of psychic ability!

edit on 7-10-2016 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

No.

Look, if you just wanted to get people to click (which is what I assume, given the fallacious click-bait title), why not use a click-worthy title that's actually SUPPORTED by the article?

For example:

1) Yale psychiatrists show psychics really hear voices. (This is noteworthy, because a lot of people just assume they are liars).

2) Yale psychiatrists make connection between schizophrenics and psychics.

There really is no need to make stuff up, as you have done.

edit on 7-10-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

No.

Look, if you just wanted to get people to click (which is what I assume, given the fallacious click-bait title), why not use a click-worthy title that's actually SUPPORTED by the article?

For example:

1) Yale psychiatrists show psychics really hear voices. (This is noteworthy, because a lot of people just assume they are liars).

Why don't you make your own thread? You're not even debating anything just whining about the title of the thread which is very appropriate as I have shown throughout the thread.

Stop whining and debate the issue or stop clogging up the thread with the same thing over and over again. Some people on the thread are intelligently debating the issue. We heard your complaint 5 pages ago so stop repeating it.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Why don't you make your own thread? You're not even debating anything just whining about the title of the thread which is very appropriate as I have shown throughout the thread.

It seems the consensus of the people on this thread is that you have not shown that your title is appropriate.

The study was not concerned with showing that psychic ability is real. The study was simply about studying how some people who heard voices in their heads (people who think they hear voices because they are psychic) react to hearing those voices.

However, the Yale study implies those people who call themselves psychic could still be completely imaging those voices, just like a schizophrenic person imagines those voices. The study does not imply that psychic abilities are real.

edit on 2016-10-7 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

No.

For example:

Stop whining and debate the issue or stop clogging up the thread with the same thing over and over again. Some people on the thread are intelligently debating the issue. We heard your complaint 5 pages ago so stop repeating it.

It bears repeating, though, since their "complaint" is perfectly valid, yet you still can't seem to understand why. Their position is in line with and fully supported by the source, whereas yours is not; Yours is supported only by your imagination and confirmation bias.

Your entire premise for this thread is false, and has no supporting evidence whatsoever. It's a shame you can't understand that, even after numerous people have explained it to you.
edit on 10/7/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

No.

For example:

It bears repeating, though, since their "complaint" is perfectly valid, yet you still can't seem to understand why. Their position is in line with and fully supported by the source, whereas yours is not; Yours is supported only by your imagination and confirmation bias.

Your entire premise for this thread is false, and has no supporting evidence whatsoever.

I'd like to add that I pass no judgement (at least in this thread) on the validity of psychic abilities.

My issue with this thread is in agreement with what you write above, and has nothing to do with whether or not psychic abilities are real. As you indicated, the problem with the thread is that the OP is using the Yale study as evidence that psychic abilities are real, but the study said nothing of the sort.

Maybe psychic abilities are real (or not), but the OP's article adds nothing to the discussion about the validity of psychic abilities, and the OP should stop saying that it does.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Wrong, it's the same 3 or 4 people repeating themselves over and over again because they can't refute anything that I have said. Yes, the article supports psychic ability and I have laid out why this is the case. Nobody has refuted anything I have said. It's just 3 or 4 people saying the same thing over and over.

We heard you 3 or 4 pages ago. Enough is enough. If you can't refute anything that's being said, go to another thread and stop your whining. You're clogging up the thread with your silly nonsense.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
a reply to: dr1234

If the brain can process quantum information in no different a way than it can process any other information as it does with the senses it could relate to the experience to one extent or another that the observer could understand consciously.

At issue is if or not a quantum event is actually random or as in that case of Chaos Theory merely appears random from our limited perspective.

Good points and this study adds more support that there's a biological basis to psychic ability and not just something supernatural as pseudoskeptics like to claim. Also things we label supernatural usually are things that have a natural explanation that is yet to be discovered.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join