It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

English Grammar & Spelling Mistakes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: and14263

I did state in my Post that even I do sometimes spell incorrectly and try my best to correct the misspelt word but in no way do I mispell or use grammar as badly as some people on these boards and like I said it's usually because I'm typing at night with lights off.

Why don't you use spellchecker or you could open word and write your post there first, then copy and paste..

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

No worries.

You've left yourself wide open with this thread though - even though you used a polite approach in the OP.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement

You spelled Grammar wrong in your title and OP.

You are quite correct. I was seeing if anyone would notice that mistake on purpose.

Have you been taking lessons from Captain Mainwaring ?

That is exactly what he would say.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

No worries.

You've left yourself wide open with this thread though - even though you used a polite approach in the OP.

It's true..

Sorry to be so harsh op, I'm only having a bit of fun, albeit at your expense.. but you did leave yourself open for it.

Anyway have a nice day.. and don't forget.. spell checker is your friend..

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I don't think the capital 'G' in 'Grammer' (sic) in your first paragraph is correct grammar.

EDIT: Or the capital 'D' in your mention of 'Dyslexic'.

I use Capital letters on some words just because.... and it's ok to do so as long as it's not used too frequently on words which have little meaning.

Like, I wouldn't use a Capital K on killer unless that word has a real detrimental effect on what I'm saying or it's a first word in a Sentence or a Title. See... I used a Capital T on Title because it's an important word in that sentence.... aswell as 'Sentence'.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

But now you're just making up your own grammar rules!!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Spellcheck is only a starting point, because it has its limitations.
It may not notice the perfectly-spelled word which is not really what the writer meant.
In particular, it does not detect homophones (I hate homophones).
For example, would it stop people writing "to much" when they mean "too much"?
Or "you've got another thing coming", when they mean "If that is what you think, then you have another think coming"?

The real remedy is that people need to re-engage themselves in reading, making themselves more familiar with what the language is supposed to look like.

Spellcheck would definately pick up on that sentence: If that is what you think, then you have another think coming"?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

But now you're just making up your own grammar rules!!

I see you are more of a Grammar Nazi than me.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

NVM
edit on 7-9-2016 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I love grammar, words and the evolution of language.

There are many who do not understand that language constantly evolves - otherwise we would all be speaking in Chaucer style old vocabulary. These people who are a bit pompous about spelling and grammar don't realise that their language is only 'pure' to their generation.

I say embrace the bad spelling. Embrace the text speak - it's the future.

Just don't let education slip with it.

Disclaimer: I do not believe you are pompous or a Nazi

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I have to agree that bad grammar on the internet has made me semi dyslexic, and partially brain dead. The internet makes my head hurt.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement

You spelled Grammar wrong in your title and OP.

Title was edited correctly. Now just the first and fourth paragraphs in OP remaining.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

note exactlie shure what your gittin at hear, butt peeple manny times make misteaks because english isn't there only language.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
I have to agree that bad grammar on the internet has made me semi dyslexic, and partially brain dead. The internet makes my head hurt.

There is a simple solution to this problem.. I'll let the part of your brain that is still alive work it out..

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I been tryin to figger out jest watt ur so dern werked up abowt heer! Me likee all thoze purty read lines....

Seems to Me iffin yu can reed it then thar ain't no problum... bein as that thar is tha point, rite?

And iffin yu caint, than yu cud puhlitelee ask fer klarifikashun.

(In other words, you need to get over yourself. )

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Spellcheck would definately pick up on that sentence: If that is what you think, then you have another think coming"?

No, it wouldn't... I know because it didn't. As you should have noted even as you typed it and prior to posting it.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

So... I'm not the only one to experience this? Bad grammar and spelling cause another person to write/spell badly.

cause & effect Ladies & Gentleman... cause & effect.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

No, it wouldn't... I know because it didn't. As you should have noted even as you typed it and prior to posting it.

I didn't use spellcheck though.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Wow. You're really sumpin else...

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Grammer is a art,

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join