It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

English Grammar & Spelling Mistakes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

That's brilliant.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
i hate people that use worser speling than me! drives me insane, wear they not tought proper england in skool???

Imbicycles

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Yeah! No one should take spellcheck for granite!!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

That was funy!

ooops... I meant funny.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ColaTesla

ok.... that's terrible.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

You post this thread to advise members on their spelling errors and you make quite a few in your OP.
You misspelled on purpose? Really? C'mon now, the least you can do is own up to your own errors.

How do you know other members aren't capitalizing letters of words in their sentences for emphasis just like you say you do?

You are basically making up your own grammar rules and it's ok for you but not everyone else. Then you advise people to use spellcheck before posting and yet you did not!

Posts like these are what make members who lurk or don't post that often not want to make the effort. There are lots of members who don't speak English as their first language.

Very Hypocritical!!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
Spellcheck would definately pick up on that sentence: If that is what you think, then you have another think coming"?

You probably mean "definitely". Derived from the word "finite", which helps find the right spelling.

"Thing" and "think" are both legitimate words, so surely Spellcheck would let them pass whether they were in the right place or not.
"Another think coming" is the original form of the saying. It means something.
Whereas "Another thing coming" has no meaning. It is the product of sloppy pronunciation combined with "spell as you pronounce" combined with failure to think about what is being written.
That combination is the bane of modern spelling.
Another good example is "This one is greater THAT the other one" (instead of "greater than"). Though I do find it difficult to believe that people really do pronounce "than" as "that". Perhaps this is a case of Spellcheck recognising the careless word "that" and not correcting it, and people who depend on Spellcheck alone assume it must be all right.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

Yup

So essentially, OP thinks we should except his excuses and reasons, but never our own

Not that it matters, it was all on purpose anyway

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

The irony and stupidity of your thread is awesome!
Also regarding the topic and your complaint, who cares??
With all the issues in the world and how crazy things are - if you can read and understand it then why pick fault?
It's just snobbery and arrogance and in your case, profound irony.
With the mix of people on ATS and the fact that maybe not everyone speaks English as a first language or has a high level of education, then maybe cut people some slack.
Did it make you feel big and clever writing this thread, did you hope all of the educated and wordy folks would all come in here and start blowing smoke up your ass?
edit on 7-9-2016 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I like your use of "heer" which was the German Armed Forces under Hitler and within the confines of this discussion the connection to Grammar Nazism.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

LOL! I hadn't noticed or thought of that at the time, but so very true

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Although I like the double, triple or even quadruple periods, I use them myself a lot, it has absolutely nothing to do with proper grammar.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
1. Right now I am posting off a tablet with a crappy keyboard. No way I am catching everything.

2. I am a proofreader by profession. No way I am taking the time to catch everything when Ii am not being paid.

3. Your own stuff is the hardest to proof. Your brain knows what you meant and "helps" by supplying the right word even if your fingers didn't.

4. Spellcheck won't catch it all. From/form for example. Both are correct, so much for spell check.

5. Some post from phones with auto co-wrecks. This can create more problems than it solves.

6. Not everyone speaks English.

7. Some have verifiable learning disabilities that will make proper spelling/grammar a challenge and this is a forum.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

I didn't use spellcheck on that post I replied to because i was pasting their reply into my post so I didn't need to.

If that person had used spellcheck, then i'm sure it would have picked up on that sentence. That's all I was saying.

Also, there may have been a couple of spelling mistakes in my op but at least I went back and corrected them.
edit on CDTWed, 07 Sep 2016 14:21:29 -05000000003002x129x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: adding text

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Ok... you did pick me up on the spelling of 'definitely', I got that wrong but it seems I'm not theonly one as it's the most misspelt word in the English language according to this report:

www.dailyrecord.co.uk...

Top ten Misspelt Words 1. Definitely (Definately) 2. Sacrilegious (Sacreligious) 3. Indict (Indite) 4. Manoeuvre (Maneouvre) 5. Bureaucracy (Beaurocracy) 6. Broccoli (Brocolli) 7. Phlegm (Phleghm) 8. Prejudice (Predjudice) 9. Consensus (Conscensus) 10.Unnecessary (Unecessary)

So, I think I can be forgiven for mispelling 'definitely'.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I can see your point and mostly agree, though I know my grammar is not impeccable. However, there is one error that almost everyone here makes. Or in any case I have not seen the correct wording.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels

did you hope all of the educated and wordy folks would all come in here and start blowing smoke up your ass?

Nope... that's probably something you like doing.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

Seriously, I could understand if they were mispelling long words or tricky ones but most are mispelling very easy ones and sentencing doesn't make sense.

What's the word you are referring to?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I've posted this in a similar rant a month or so ago, but the use of the phrase "should of". And any variant, so replace "should" with "could" or "would". In reality people mean "should HAVE". Of course the full capitalization is simply my emphasis of the difference. And again this goes for every variant of the phrase.

I don't see how you could make an error(assuming you are on a PC) as the site appears to have a spellcheck underlining incorrect spelling with a red line.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
When I see a post full of lazy errors [not those due to dyslexia or phone typing - you can sort of tell], then I have to admit that the person's credibility takes a nosedive immediately.

When a native English speaker misspells very common words and keeps using them without ever even trying to quickly check the spelling online, then I can't be sure about anything else they claim.

I have to assume they are too lazy or really not bothered about facts or rules, so whatever they post about might have been just glanced over or misinterpreted in the same lazy way.

It is such a pet hate of mine that I often can't upvote comments when they are full of lazy mistakes, even if what they say is a good point. [Hey, I can do what I want
]

Lazy mistakes that drive me mostly up the wall are:

- The whole There, their etc thing, it's so bloody easy [ tHERE is for places and has the word HERE in it, tHEIR is for ownership and has the word HEIR in it - they literally explain themselves]

- Could of... [aaaargh
]

- affect and effect and

- than/then

I can live with spelling or grammar mistakes that are due to fast typing or even because of difficult words [even though you could quickly check them online] but there is no excuse for getting the above wrong if you are an adult native English speaker with an opinion and you want to be taken seriously.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join