It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random aviation photos

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Montana

Still too early to tell. They haven't even tried taxi tests yet. Once they see if it flies, they'll start to have an idea of if it'll actually work or not. IF it works though, there's a pretty good chance that it'll see profit.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: FredT

Turns out the KC-46 was actually the RAAF KC-30.

Interesting.....

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

They've been around. No idea what they're doing, but when I started reviewing the pics, you could see the light on the winglets as they turned.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Wasn't SeaLaunch more or less profitable as well? (at least, before the Ukraine BS)

The way I see it, StratoLaunch seems like a much, much cheaper version of SeaLaunch once you get past the initial acquisition cost. Now, you no longer have to staff two vessels in the middle of nowhere or worry about payload prep/erection on a ship in the tropics, and the expendable launch vehicle now gets to be that much smaller/cheaper relative to your payload since you're launching it at 50,000 feet instead of from sea level.

I'd imagine that StratoLaunch will also have a much faster turnaround time, since it takes that much less time to get your payload from wherever you want to build it to wherever you want to launch it, on the order of hours instead of weeks, meaning that they could perform 3-6 launches in the time it would take SeaLaunch to launch one.

The question is, can the launch vehicles that StratoLaunch carries get the same sorts of payloads into GSO that SeaLaunch's Zenits could?

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Right now, they're looking at only the Pegasus XL launch system. They were trying to develop the Pegasus II with Orbital ATK, which would carry almost 14,000 pounds into orbit, but they weren't hitting their goals. They've tried several different vehicles, but developing a new one that they can use has proven problematical. They're planning a 500,000 pound payload though.
edit on 9/9/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

So for now, it's basically a Pegasus on steroids while StratoLaunch waits to attract enough good press and concept proof so that ULA/SpaceX/Blue Origin/Orbital will want to build them a dedicated launch vehicle?

A chopped-down Atlas/Delta/Falcon 9/Antares seems like it would be perfect for this platform. That, or one of JASDAs Mu-series "it's-totally-not-an-ICBM-testbed,-we-pinky-swear!" solid fuel launch vehicles.
edit on 9-9-2017 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

They're still looking at various rockets that could be used. Pegasus has the advantage of being available now, and will allow them to verify that it works, and that things will go as planned. Short term, Pegasus is a good choice. Long term, they'll develop something new.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Good day out at Southport airshow.

edit on 1792017 by nelloh62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Picture from the daily mail today of two planes stacked over Surrey they look a lot closer than they actually are.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Now I wonder what Orbital's new ownership will mean for StratoLaunch. Orbital and Scaled under the same corporate tent could lead to some very interesting developments indeed.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Yeah, that's definitely going to be a very interesting development.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
C-17 was doing pattern work, right up until I parked the truck and got the camera out. Then he did a full stop and taxied over to Bell and disappeared.

Caught these guys heading out from Edwards to do a shoot.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I've been playing with some editing the last couple of days.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I hear the USAF is trying to stave off budget cuts by raising funds through its new hedge-trimming service. (down amongst the trees over Norfolk, UK)

edit on 29-9-2017 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: waynos

At least they're using Osprey and not Vipers.

Great shot!
edit on 9/29/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Thanks, just been sorting through some older shots. I also found a USMC F-35B starting to transition to vertical that I forgot I'd taken. I'll post that too

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Here is it is. Taken at RIAT last July. The USMC F-35 displayed Saturday and the RAF one on the Sunday

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: waynos

MCAS Beaufort. Very nice pic.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
What are you using for editing ? Just curious, I'm in the process of moving into my own place which means I need to buy a laptop so I continue to go through any pics I have

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Right now, just the standard photo viewer that came with Windows. Mostly just sharpening the photo and then playing with filter settings.
edit on 9/29/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join