It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random aviation photos

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: gariac

some old NUQ photos

Sweet alot of those were from the time My dad was stationed at the base. The NASA C-141 is in really bad shape on the east end of the field.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

That was one of the last two A models to fly. They used an A model for the MAC commander that had a roll on VIP cabin, and NASA had that one.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Seeing as though i crashed this thread talking about an unobserved plane that i heard up on
the wold's top's out here up on the north Yorkshire countryside that was so loud i nearly crapped my
pants, It literally did sound like the sky was being torn apart!

well after bumping into an aircraft buff up in that area recently we got talking and i told him
about this plane and the noise and the dates around when i had heard it.

Turns out the usa had sent over an F15 to play about with our typhoons up there and THAT F15
was the source of the racket,so puzzle solved.

JESUS there freaking loud!!!! just thought i owed it to zaph to explain what it was.
cheers.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Mention of F-15's reminded me of these photos from Mildenhall and Lakenheath that I promised a few weeks ago;

[I MG]http://i68.tinypic.com/28i0vlt.jpg[/IMG]

edit on 19-11-2017 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: waynos

You and I will forever be at odds on the issue of subsidies but damm you take great pictures of aircraft. Whats you camera lens of choice? Im looking at a Nikon 7500 but open to others

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Super stupid question here guys: IS the canopy on the F-22 lined with a gold (or other material) matrix ala the EA-6B? They always have a tinge on them
edit on 11/19/17 by FredT because: Cause the Av forum is brutal with its accuracy

edit on 11/19/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Just about all modern aircraft are lined with gold. On the F-16 it's known as Have Glass. It reduces the RCS of the pilot and cockpit, as well as reducing glare from the sun.

And it's the EA-6B, not the EB-6A (which I suspect you already knew but just typoed).
edit on 11/19/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Super stupid question here guys

No such thing as a stupid question , just a stupid answer .

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Just about all modern aircraft are lined with gold. On the F-16 it's known as Have Glass. It reduces the RCS of the pilot and cockpit, as well as reducing glare from the sun.

And it's the EA-6B, not the EB-6A (which I suspect you already knew but just typoed).

Yes, I'm well into the very nice 2007 Kosta Browne Kanzler Pinot Noir so typos are coming fast and furious and perhaps Ive read too much Dale Brown
edit on 11/19/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Not the best quality, but interesting missile hanging on the wing of this Viper out of DM.

F-35s going into Edwards.

Nowhere near as good as Waynos' pictures, but hey, they're still pretty airplanes.

edit on 11/19/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

That was more for people that might not know than anything.

Have Glass was installed starting on the C model Vipers. The retrofitted them as they went through the Depot. The numbers I heard were something like a 15% reduction in the RCS, by blocking out the pilot using it.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Nice pics on the F-35

It looks like a JDAM to me under the viper wing. Perhaps a test round with high visibility markings?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

It was actually an AIM-9. I caught one near Luke when I was up there that was bright yellow, then this one had one that was orange. I don't know what they use them for, but they seem to only carry them on one wing, and the other wing is clean.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It was actually an AIM-9. I caught one near Luke when I was up there that was bright yellow, then this one had one that was orange. I don't know what they use them for, but they seem to only carry them on one wing, and the other wing is clean.

Weird why go asymentrical? you would have trim that out no?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Yeah, you would have to. That might be why they do it. This one was a D model. I didn't notice what the one at Luke was. It could be asymmetric weapons training. I don't know why they'd paint them bright like that though if it is.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
a reply to: waynos

You and I will forever be at odds on the issue of subsidies but damm you take great pictures of aircraft. Whats you camera lens of choice? Im looking at a Nikon 7500 but open to others

Thanks Fred, and nothing wrong with a friendly discussion

My stuff is all Canon, and these were taken with an EOS6D and EF 100-400L, both of which are now replaced by superior Mk2 versions. I'm still happy with what I get though, so wont be spending £4k to replace them any time soon. You could pick up the same combo and lens that i use for around £1k now if you shop around.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Hey Zaph,

The high-vis inert A2A missiles are used typically to indicate an aggressor aircraft when DACT or aggressor units aren't available.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJD

Thanks! I've never seen that until recently, so had no idea.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Not the best because of haze and distance . C17 parked at Edinborough here in South Australia . While shifting spots a E-7 Wedgetail took of right over the spot i was driving to and would have been a great shot as i would have been looking down the runway . Think i have the c17s schedule sorted and hopefully next week , dont even have to get in the car as i flies quite low straight over my street . Fingers crossed

edit on 20-11-2017 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join