It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cleveland Police Ask For Emergency Suspension Of Open Carry Laws During Republican Convention

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

. . . But now, the Cleveland Police Union has made an emergency request to suspend open carry for the duration of the Republican convention.

thinkprogress.org...

Sounds draconian to me.

News is just breaking.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Now, let's see who's willing to give up rights for security.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Kasich said he wouldn't do it.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

This falls in suspension of the second amendment to me, I don't think they can do that, unless is only for the people attending the convension inside the place where is going to be done, but they can no enforce this on the people outside.

edit on 17-7-2016 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

For the duration of the convention perhaps busloads of agitators are on their way as a cop Id be tempted to call in sick rather than protect that convention.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I understand that Kasich doesn't want this.

But the fact that there is even a call for it astounds me.

I don't think this will end in Cleveland.

This is just the beginning.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I was waiting to see what would happen after I read an article a few days ago saying that a group of Trump supporters had announced that they'd be attending the Convention heavily armed - which was followed by the New Black Panthers announcing that they'd be doing the same.

For the past several years this sort of thing has become common - people using open carry irresponsibly. Not as a valid act of self-protection or even protest - but as attention seeking or deliberately inflammatory posturing. There is a world of difference between open carrying for self defense and open carrying specifically to intimidate and squelch opposing viewpoints. I find it very sad and troubling that we've waded into these waters.

However, having said that - this is an educational / personal responsibility issue and not something that requires a draconian fix - particularly one that requires the illegal suspension of Constitutional rights.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

It does seem harsh but maybe understandable at this point.

This is concerning to me:

“We are sending a letter to Gov. Kasich requesting assistance from him. He could very easily do some kind of executive order or something — I don’t care if it’s constitutional or not at this point,” Cleveland Police Union president Stephen Loomis told CNN.

Emphasis is mine. I'm sure that LEO are feeling scared and frustrated by recent events.

I am curious why someone would feel the need to openly carry an AR-15. I realize it's their right but...

Just curious. I also think this may just be the beginning and what was intended from long ago. the puzzle pieces are fitting together.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I understand that there will be some extreme people who will open carry.

But they have the right.

Suspension of rights is worse, in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
'I don’t care if it’s constitutional or not at this point.'

Exactly what you want to hear from someone in government.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I mean with all the stuff going on its reasonable to ask for some temporary alteration in the law.

Though in fact one can argue the other side that with all this madness going on people SHOULD be carrying more.

This is the world we've made for our children folks get use to it

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Tsubaki

My 2nd amendment right IS my security.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
You can't suspend a law assholes.

Let the citizens carry.

This has everything to do with black peoples open carrying I can promise you that.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Last time I checked, black people were Americans.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Perhaps we should only deprive some of the citizens of their Constitutional rights, eh?

Perhaps these agitators as the dog-whistle terms them?

Or are they insurrectionists yet?
You know ... the ones that fit "the profile."

edit on 17-7-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

You give them an inch, the government, state or federal, will take a mile. They are preying for a sliver of "presidence" to be made.

I hope the police get a resounding NO in response.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

So are the other races, such as Asian, Hispanic, etc.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

So are the other races, such as Asian, Hispanic, etc.

Correct.

The law should apply equally and not be removed/adjusted based on individual issues.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

So police should only be available to do the job they've chosen to do ONLY when it is safe to police?

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

NEW: Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association drafting asking OH Gov. John Kasich to suspend open carry in Cleveland during RNC Convention.

You can't get any more FASCIST than that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join