It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting heard in Ankara, military jets & helicopters flying over city

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Army battalion
to overthrow ISIS lover Erdoğan

edit on 15-7-2016 by all2human because: (no reason given)

link   
LMAO

This guest on Megyan Kellly just pulled the Turkey coup was a false flag by E.

link   
a reply to: neo96
Their police has a more "paramilitary" aspect to it than what we think of as "police" in the USA (all police-related-shootings aside).

In particular Gendarmerie General Command. See also Law enforcement in Turkey (on Wikipedia).

The Gendarmerie (Turkish: Jandarma), are military forces of law enforcement. They are trained and supplied by the army but they assume duties under the Minister of Interior. Their organization and duties are quite similar to those of the French Gendarmerie, or Italian Carabinieri.

Seems like it follows more the Napoleonic/ French-influenced model.
edit on 2016-7-15 by EnhancedInterrogator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

That's a former CIA director suggesting that.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Erdogan just said the coup was good news because it will help in cleansing the armed forces...

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Oddly enough, that was my thoughts earlier in the evening. I wouldn't put it past him, the guy is a power hungry megalomaniac with a twist of Islamic extremism thrown in.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

Oddly enough, that was my thoughts earlier in the evening. I wouldn't put it past him, the guy is a power hungry megalomaniac with a twist of Islamic extremism thrown in.

After what Kelly said.

Listing off the things he's done.

Abortion is treason.

Women should have four kids.

It's a crime to criticize him.

The abolition of political 'parties' or something to the effect.

I wouldn't put it past him either.

edit on 15-7-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
While Erdogan is talking, things are still underway in other areas of the country, such as in Ankara:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
Erdogan just said the coup was good news because it will help in cleansing the armed forces...

I was just thinking that. What better way to flush out the non-believers. Now he can carry on unobstructed with his caliphate and ISIS support. Wonder which Al-name he will chose...the world just got way worse.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It seems to me, that whoever tried to organize this coup, did a lousy job.
They do not seem have the full commitment of all major commands in each of their military branches.

Reminds me somewhat of the fall of the Soviet Union (which I remember watching live on TV) - but somewhat in reverse.

In this case, it seems like some subset of the military perpetrating this coup attempt, and consequently butting-heads with paramilitary/police groups - and perhaps the people in general.

In the case of the fall of the Soviet Union, it was somewhat the opposite - it was the Interior Ministry (their paramilitary police) in league with KGB / secret-police, which (much to their surprise apparently) ended-up butting-heads with the Red Army - who instead of taking-down Yeltsin, turned their tanks around outside where he was held-up and protected them from the paramilitary / KGB forces. When I saw that on TV, I knew the Soviet Union was done.

The analog is not perfect of course. And, in this case, I suspect the current (theoretically legitimate) regime will put down this coup, and unfortunately probably become even more hard-line / authoritarian.

Whoever started this coup attempt, does not appear to have any support from any other internal opposition political parties - who want the current regime gone, but apparently want to do it democratically.

edit on 2016-7-15 by EnhancedInterrogator because: fumatten, spelling and gammer.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Actually a false flag makes complete sense given how weak this coup actually appeared to be.

Now allows him to take even more control and have an excuse to rid himself of his opposition and push Islam down everyone's throats.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
Rumors Putin cahooting with Turkish General.

Erdogen's time may be up.
VLAD FOR WORLD PRESIDENT!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
People are saying the coup forces have control over Ankara, so it isn't over yet. Erdogan and his team also looked worried during/after their conference. Things are still in progress, even though the media has been calling the coup defeated for hours.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Turkey has had several coups over the decades and its always been the military removing governments that have gone to far to the extreme side / strict Islam side. When Edrogen won the election he and the military did not get along, and that relationship further declined when the Constitution was changed preventing the ability of the military from protecting the constitution.

Edrogen also went after the military heads after those changes were made and sent a few to prison.

This was only a matter of time... and thats assuming the coup is to restore a government for the people.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: all2human
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Army battalion
to overthrow ISIS lover Erdoğan

Thanks!

So when the smoke clears, if the coup wins, is this a 'good' thing?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Here's another Live feed, from The area...

edit on 15-7-2016 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Thanks! That's what I needed to know to be able to establish a framework of this affair.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
If Putin were involved then it can be taken as an attack on a NATO country.
edit on 15-7-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Erdoğan: "This event (coup) is the grace of God. We will cleanse traitors from within TSK."

twitter.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
The biggest variable that appears unknown to me, is which side has control of their Air Force? Somebody is flying around alot - with purposes unknown.
That is the part of their military that probably:

• Collaborates the most closely with other NATO allies.
  • Has the most educated personnel (a generalization, but holds true in most militaries).
  • Probably has the ability to take-out other military units (or paramilitary / police) on the ground.
  • I suspect (presume really, with no good reason I suppose), probably least likely however to target civilians.

They seem to be doing a lot of flying-around, there seem to be conflicting reports about them performing any form of firing/bombing (perhaps, or perhaps not.). So, I am wondering if their role right now is:

• Reconnaissance: If so, for who? maybe for themselves to figure-out who they should be supporting? Maybe for other NATO members (i.e. US) to have some idea WTF is going-on?
  • Air Supremacy: Keep opposing forces (or maybe just everybody) from using helicopters or other aerial assets.

edit on 2016-7-15 by EnhancedInterrogator because: fumatten, spelling and gammer.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join