It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting heard in Ankara, military jets & helicopters flying over city

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra
Actually the man being pinned for this uprsing is living in Pennsylvania, being protected by the USA from extradiciton.

edit on 15-7-2016 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

A destabilized Turk military isn't one to mess with...

Are we being herded again into another convenient conflict, to fill more vaults with $$$$ at the expense of our nearest and dearest, because we are riled up by talking heads?

I also felt this was a very convenient event for ISIS to capitalize on.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

What happens if DOG is behind this false flag in order to clean his army, as he stated in live speech just now?

Completely possible. Erdogen also linked a group that opposes him to the coup even though they claim they had nothing to do with it. It is possible Erdogen is behind the mess in order to strengthen his grip on power. Keeping an eye on which military officers back the coup.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: sirlancelot
Twitter has a video of a fighter jet flying just above roof tops. Not good!

Link

Maaaayn, he'll never shoot anyone going at that speed.

But imagine how many thousands he can incapacitate quickly via the ol' Make 'em poop in their pants maneuver!

Sorry for the levity. I hope the loss of life is minimal and the outcome positive. Was anyone expecting this?!

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
some moreinfo -

Since the modern state of Turkey was established in 1923, the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) have staged coups three times—in 1960, 1971, and 1980—and in 1997 intervened via a military memorandum.[11] The military historically has viewed itself as guardian of the secular Turkish state established under Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.[11]

In the years leading up to the 2016 coup attempt, the Ergenekon trials took place, which was seen as a bid by Turkey's civilian leaders under President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to establish dominance over the military.[11][12] In these trials in 2013—viewed as "sensational"[11] and "one of the biggest in recent Turkish history"[12]—275 people, including senior military officers, journalists, lawyers and academics, were accused of plotting a coup in 2003 and 2004 as part of a secret network named "Ergenekon" against then-prime minister Erdoğan.[12] (Some military officers were accused of involvement in a separate alleged plot, Sledgehammer.)[12] The "Ergenekon" convictions were overturned in April 2016 by Turkey's highest appeals court, which ruled that the existence of the network was unproven.[12][13]

On 13 July, less than two days before the coup was launched, Erdoğan signed a bill giving Turkish soldiers immunity from prosecution while taking part in domestic security operations, requiring cases against commanders to be approved by the prime minister, while cases against lower-ranking soldiers may be signed off on by district governors. The immunity bill was seen as part of a détente between the government and the Armed Forces, while the latter have increasingly been taking over the military operations in the Kurdish-inhabited areas from police and paramilitary units.[14]

edit on 15-7-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Oh, my GOSH!! I was just sitting here thinking the same thing and hadn't yet read anyone saying it. Something is fishy (to me) because of the way this thing played out. I was thinking Erdogan staged a false coup.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

On 13 July, less than two days before the coup was launched, Erdoğan signed a bill giving Turkish soldiers immunity from prosecution while taking part in domestic security operations, requiring cases against commanders to be approved by the prime minister, while cases against lower-ranking soldiers may be signed off on by district governors. The immunity bill was seen as part of a détente between the government and the Armed Forces, while the latter have increasingly been taking over the military operations in the Kurdish-inhabited areas from police and paramilitary units.[14]

Pretty hard to deny false flag now.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
While Erdogan is talking, things are still underway in other areas of the country, such as in Ankara:

Heavy fighting is being reported (although I dont know how they define what heavy fighting is) in the Capital. Looks like the "coup" has spread to Istanbul as well now.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
It certainly doesn't feel like this is over yet.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: solidshot

A coup against an Islamist president? Time for Obama to step in and help him out haha

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Heavy fighting is being reported (although I dont know how they define what heavy fighting is) in the Capital. Looks like the "coup" has spread to Istanbul as well now.

I'm still looking through some of the facebook live streams from Turkey and there's still shootouts happening on some of the streams.

www.facebook.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
According to BBC 130 military officers have been arrested thus far, including 1 general.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
For anybody who didn't look it up already on their own, that "guy in Pennsylvania" that comes-up as being inspiration for the coup is Fethullah Gülen.

I don't believe the hype that he was directly involved in any of this. More likely some people in their military (which seems generally to be more secular than the current regime) are just more sympathetic with his views.

From Wikipedia:

Gülen teaches a Hanafi version of Islam, deriving from Sunni Muslim scholar Said Nursî's teachings. Gülen has stated that he believes in science, interfaith dialogue among the People of the Book, and multi-party democracy.[12] He has initiated such dialogue with the Vatican[13] and some Jewish organizations.[14]

Gülen is actively involved in the societal debate concerning the future of the Turkish state, and Islam in the modern world. He has been described in the English-language media as an imam "who promotes a tolerant Islam which emphasises altruism, hard work and education" and as "one of the world's most important Muslim figures."[15][12]

Gülen was an ally of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan before 2013. The alliance was destroyed after alleged 2013 corruption investigations in Turkey.[16][17][18][19][20] Erdogan accused Gülen for being behind the corruption investigations.[21] He is currently on Turkey's most-wanted terrorist list and is accused of leading what the current Turkish officials call the Gulenist Terror Organisation (FETO).[22][23] A Turkish criminal court issued an arrest warrant for Gülen.[24][25] Turkey is demanding the extradition of Gülen from the United States.[17][26][27] However, so far there is no Turkish court decision that charges Gulen or his followers with any terrorist activity.[28][29][30]

edit on 2016-7-15 by EnhancedInterrogator because: fumatten, spelling and gammer.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
No fly zone established over the Capital according to the Prime Minister.

Military Chief of Staff is missing / location unknown.

Government is saying the "coup plotters" have fired on civilians.
edit on 15-7-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
According to BBC 130 military officers have been arrested thus far, including 1 general.

I thought Erdogan said this only went as high as a Colonel.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: all2human
Actually the man being pinned for this uprsing is living in Pennsylvania, being protected by the USA from extradiciton.

see this post for details about that guy.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: mike dangerously
Alright,y'all what happens in a post-coup Turkey? If the rebels have Ankara and that part of the country while the government has Istanbul and the rest of it.I can see a long,bloody civil war starting.

Wait a few years, then there will be yet another coup. That seems to be the pattern.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: Xcathdra

I thought Erdogan said this only went as high as a Colonel.

When you start listing higher ranking officers it creates a credibility problem for the government faced with the coup. When you lose legitimacy in the eyes of the military the government can quickly lose all other support, including that of the people.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: all2human

He is not under US protection. He is living in the US on his own accord and can leave anytime he wishes. The US is not honoring the extradition request because of what occurred in 2013, Erdogens actions since then and what they blamed him for.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: EnhancedInterrogator

You think Erdogan is gonna confront the US and NATO about ignoring article 33 of the charter? I am beginning to think they wanted this to happen why else would the military would continue to fight and the despot is now in hiding again?

edit on 093131p://4826 by mike dangerously because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join