It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American College of Pediatricians Says Reject Transgenderism

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
It's "gender dysphasia" not gender dismorphia ... isn't it?

'dysphasia' would indicate trouble swallowing. But would be spelled "dysphagia'

"Dysphoria' is what you are looking for, and yes. There is not 'gender dysmorphia' in the DSM, although there is "Body dysmorphic disorder", of which Gender Dysphoria is a classification of.

We all have issue with our bodies in one form or another. Some have more anguish over it, some less.
edit on 5/17/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Gryphon66
It's "gender dysphasia" not gender dismorphia ... isn't it?

'dysphasia' would indicate trouble swallowing.

"Dysphoria' is what you are looking for, and yes. There is not 'gender dysmorphia' in the DSM, although there is "Body dysmorphic disorder", of which Gender Dysphoria is a classification of.

We all have issue with our bodies in one form or another. Some have more anguish over it, some less.

LOL ... leave it to me to correct an error with a mistake.

Thanks Texan.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Eh,, No.

Gender Dymorphia is listed in the current version of the DSM.

Here's a link to the relevevant page.

In fact its right there on listed on the home page of the DSM.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: redshoes

Eh,, No.

You mean the page with "Gender Dysphoria" at the top? The same one I linked?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Eh,, No.

Where?

Here's one about Dysmorphic Disorder: ajp.psychiatryonline.org...

Not even close to the same thing as Gender Dysphoria.
edit on 17-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Eh,, No.

I can't argue with someone who is ignoring the huge, bold, white font on the top in the space known as the "Title Bar' of that page, indicating exactly how wrong you are.

Either you read and accept it or not. But I won't argue with the willfully ignorant. The word 'dysmorphia' isn't even on that page.
edit on 5/17/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

It was once thought a child was a blank slate that could be molded into whatever you wanted them to be. Science has discovered otherwise. We are who we are born. Our brain is wired to tell us who we are. It's up to us to use it to be the best we can be.

We are not a "blank slate", but we are also not a pre-programmed robot in my observations. I think science is still far from knowing the full extent of "nature vs nurture".

Diet, environment, and parenting all play a huge role in personality and brain devolpment I believe.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

You know, saying that my position doesn't match up with reality is one thing, actually pointing out why is another.
So far there's been a lot of huffing and puffing but you haven't actually done that yet.

Can you manage that or are you gonna keep on deflecting indefinitely?

By all means, do point out my shortcomings using logic and not emotion. Feel free to do it in a private message if you don't want to stray off-topic.

Bought into the left-right paradigm? Cautious now, you're sounding like a conspiracy theorist. Let me just deconstruct this sentence of yours quickly here and tell you why it doesn't even make sense.
1. Most of humanity have bought into the left-right paradigm.
2. Apparently so have I, at least according to you.
3. This somehow makes me more ignorant than most of humanity.

Do you see the obvious dissonance here?

Don't talk about the left-right political paradigm when you're on here defending the perversions of one side of it while calling stone cold facts "pet theories".

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod

Don't talk about the left-right political paradigm when you're on here defending the perversions of one side of it while calling stone cold facts "pet theories".

There's that core authoritarianism again.

The thread is also not about describing, or defending, scientific and medical statements about gender identity.

So, here's the response: "No."

Amuse yourself.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: Annee

It was once thought a child was a blank slate that could be molded into whatever you wanted them to be. Science has discovered otherwise. We are who we are born. Our brain is wired to tell us who we are. It's up to us to use it to be the best we can be.

We are not a "blank slate", but we are also not a pre-programmed robot in my observations. I think science is still far from knowing the full extent of "nature vs nurture".

Diet, environment, and parenting all play a huge role in personality and brain devolpment I believe.

I'm aware of the "plastic brain", etc.

However, Gender and Orientation seem to be mostly hard wired - - - from everything I've read over the years.

Do, I also support a sliding scale? Yes. Do I think "Brain Gender" is stronger in some then others? Yes.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Let the kids go through puberty before any decisions are made. If they still feel out of place after the bodies chemical/hormonal changes then start looking at other options. "Transitioning" earlier than that seems to be needlessly jumping the gun.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

The American College of Pediatricians is a small right wing conservative group. They have from 60 to 200 members.

Try the American Academy of Pediatrics.They have 60,000 pediatricians as members. I think they have some different views.

You make it sound like being conservative is a bad thing , like it discredits this group. It could be the opposite is true , AAP is a liberal group of left wingers . Who is likely to be more honest? Hmmmm...

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
Let the kids go through puberty before any decisions are made. If they still feel out of place after the bodies chemical/hormonal changes then start looking at other options. "Transitioning" earlier than that seems to be needlessly jumping the gun.

I agree with this. An experience i have had;

my 16 year old son had a sleeve gastrectomy due to severe weight issues that we weren't getting any headway with. in the procedure they remove Ghrelin glands. Seems like a nonissue, right?

well...the unintended side effect: ghrelin is part of the endocrine system. it drives hunger, and also plays a role in the pleasure feedback you get from food. So now he has serotonin issues that are derives solely from the removal of ghrelin from his system, and the alteration that his neurochemicals sustained because of it.

ghrelin is a mostly inconsequential hormone that relates to hunger feedback. scale that up for testosterone/estrogen/progesterone. i can imagine that the unintended consequences could be rather bitter.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I agree with this. An experience i have had;

my 16 year old son had a sleeve gastrectomy due to severe weight issues that we weren't getting any headway with. in the procedure they remove Ghrelin glands. Seems like a nonissue, right?

well...the unintended side effect: ghrelin is part of the endocrine system. it drives hunger, and also plays a role in the pleasure feedback you get from food. So now he has serotonin issues that are derives solely from the removal of ghrelin from his system, and the alteration that his neurochemicals sustained because of it.

ghrelin is a mostly inconsequential hormone that relates to hunger feedback. scale that up for testosterone/estrogen/progesterone. i can imagine that the unintended consequences could be rather bitter.

I think we, as parents, want our kids to be happy no matter what and that leads us to make decisions based in emotional stress. If my daughter (7) swore up and down that she was a boy and showed signs of distress from this belief then I would be hard pressed not to do anything about it. That would, in my opinion, be in error. I would have to force myself to allow her body/mind to go through its changes to make sure the issue persisted. Once it persisted after that I could logically say that "other" alternatives are the only ones left. Making decisions prior to this eliminates the possibility of the body/mind reconciling themselves during that period.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

If you are a girl, you want to go through male puberty, and those physical changes?

Do you not comprehend there are physical changes that can not be reversed?

You want your trans child to look like a boy in a dress?

edit on 17-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: muzzleflash

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: Anneethanks Annee. I'm just interested why it's not an issue elsewhere in the world. I've only really heard about the issue since being on ats. I'm sure it will come to the uk soon and hopefully we can treat it all with a bit more rationally

America has a problem with uptight Puritan Fundamentalists.

And their powerful Political Christian Lobby.

This comment of yours proves exactly how mindlessly bias both sides of this are.

You said "America has a problem", which reveals you must believe that anyone who disagrees with you isn't "the true America" or whatever.

No, it means I was responding to someone who was not American. Who asked a question,.

Incorrect, it doesn't matter who you responded to, what mattered was the way you framed that response in terms of how you present what you view is the crux of the issue.

I think you're smart enough to finally catch this once you step back and look at what you were thinking and saying objectively from a neutral position.

I'm not picking on you, I chose you because I know you'll get this before the day is over. I just know you're smart and are just getting caught up in the emotions of the debate, which happens to all of us even me so don't feel bad.

I'm trying to teach you specifically what's going on from the outside looking in, I'm complimenting you because I don't feel many others are wise enough to realize this as quickly as you would. I've been reading you for years, we've got into it many times, I respect you.

Go reread the original comment I offered you from my compassion. If you can grapple with it without being insulted or defensive, and realize what I meant by it, it will give you an edge in the debate.

I've always really liked you, though we almost always disagree. I just want to know you will like me too despite those disagreements. I'm afraid you might not, and I hope Im wrong.

I am not arguing pro or anti trans, that's not my battle; but I am arguing the methodology, intent, motivational, psychological, and Spiritual aspects of how we conduct argument and ourselves, because I Love you as a friend and it hurts me to see you so angry when you don't have to be.

Rise above it, forgive the enemy and then you will conquer them as you ultimately conquer yourself. This is the key. But you have to understand you were being bias to get there. There's nothing wrong with that, but things will be wrong if you stubbornly refuse to think this over deeply from the outside of the box.

Take a deep breath, relax, get in tune with the Universal flow...
edit on 5/17/2016 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/17/2016 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

It has been designated a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center for its anti-LGBT positions.

So one hate group accuses another group of hate. That sounds about right.

I don't think the Southern Poverty Law Center is a hate group.

I think the SPLC is clearly a hate group and in fact uses their power to bully, intimidate and harass those that don't agree with them.

Sounds like a hate group to me.

Sounds like...liberals. BLM harasses and intimidates, so do the anti-Trump crowd, Obama did so with NC and the bathroom thing (threat to take money from them if they don't do as he orders), Black Panthers at voting centers, illegal Mexican protesters, etc.

You know...cause the left is vile, evil and mean to everyone they don't like. But only nice to those who obey them.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

If you are a girl, you want to go through male puberty, and those physical changes?

I do understand that. I also feel giving the body it's last natural chance at reconciling it's body and mind shouldn't be discarded. The goal.is for your kid to be happy. The brain works on chemical/electrical impulses/systems.

Why would you not want to see if the body can heal itself during puberty?
If your male born child identifies as female and is unhappy but after puberty identifies as a boy and is happy that's all that should matter.

The whole goal of taking hormones/surgery is so the person can be happy in their own skin no matter the sex. Why take away the opportunity for the body to do that naturally without all the other problems?

Transitioning prior to this effectively throws that opportunity away and is negligent in my views.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: Anneethanks Annee. I'm just interested why it's not an issue elsewhere in the world. I've only really heard about the issue since being on ats. I'm sure it will come to the uk soon and hopefully we can treat it all with a bit more rationally

America has a problem with uptight Puritan Fundamentalists.

And their powerful Political Christian Lobby.

This comment of yours proves exactly how mindlessly bias both sides of this are.

You said "America has a problem", which reveals you must believe that anyone who disagrees with you isn't "the true America" or whatever.

No, it means I was responding to someone who was not American. Who asked a question,.

Incorrect, it doesn't matter who you responded to, what mattered was the way you framed that response in terms of how you present what you view is the crux of the issue.

I'm not changing it either.

America is a secular Democratic Republic.

Fundies want it to be a theocracy.

Christians should never have had the political controlling power they've been allowed to get away with from the beginning.

I've been watching them kicking and screaming from this control being taken away from them since the 60s.

Hasn't gone far enough IMO. Yet.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I want my child to be happy, and if puberty helps them then great. If not then we go another route. I'm notr concerned with being able to say I have a trans child like it's a badge. If they stop feeling like a girl after puberty then I have a son. If they still feel like a girl after puberty then we go the other routes and I have a daughter. The term trans means nothing to me, I can't say that for others.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join