It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American College of Pediatricians Says Reject Transgenderism

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

I'd refer you to the current issue of the DSM, which was the result of nearly ten years work soliciting for and debating scientific input and theory as well as case studies from any qualified psychiatrist that chose to contribute.

So yes, you can take the DSM as being as accurate as possible a reflection of the learned opinions of practicing professionals in the field of mental illness.

And again, I'll point out my earlier point that the DSM does NOT classify gender dysphoria as a mental illness anymore.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
You see the Truth is this folks, disagreement with someone is one thing - considering you can RESPECT their Dignity while doing so.

But creating a "crusade" and HATING them in your Heart because of that disagreement - is a whole new ballgame.

It's called "UNACCEPTABLE".

My two children act far more mature than most "adults", tis a Shame... even I'm embarrassed.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Are you really too dumb to understand the concept of discussing the context behind any one idea, movement or event?

This is how one gets to the truth, not by limiting discussion down one narrow corridor.

Uhm, yes.. I did point out that you're on the bandwagon. And now apparently you're being too dull to realize that you're actually agreeing with me. Thank you, it was very unoriginal and it didn't really make any sense. No one's interested in mutilated body parts over here. Or maybe you're projecting?

Monkeys never want to admit they're monkeys. The point is, this civilisation is barbaric and idiotic. Grown up children populate this planet.

No, conservatives aren't trying to bring down Western civilisation. Our elite is, mostly with the help of brainwashed leftist cattle like yourself. It's called the Coudenhove-Kalergi plan.

What am I doing? I don't conform to the ideologies on either side that shape the dialectic political puppet show. Not that it matters when people are bound by their normalcy bias but I do speak of the power structures and the organisations and networks that make up these power structures. I speak of the methods in which they manipulate the masses. It's not much, but I almost don't care either at this point. Humanity has already made its choice it seems.

If you're going to be predictably typical in ignoring the reality of this conspiracy I'll preempt you by pointing to this primer:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

These issues are cosmetic, the agenda behind the ideology is more important and pointing it out is relevant and suitable.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I agree with you 1000% here. Except I need to point out something:

I am compelled to be honest. If calling you a "her" feels awkward to me, i won't do it. I can't fake it. It is physically impossible for me to not be honest in real life situations, and it causes me to be rather off putting sometimes when I have little patience for the world.

Is it "catering"? no. I thought that was kind of a silly choice of words, too. But at some point I have to realize that my comfort is at the very least equal to everyone else's.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod

Are you really too dumb to understand the concept of discussing the context behind any one idea, movement or event?

Easy tiger. Just because I want to follow T&C and stay on topic doesn't mean you have to get all petulant and nasty. If we really wanted to discuss intellectual capability, or compare yours with mine, I'd be glad to point out your obvious shortcomings ... but that's NOT what we're doing. Try to stay focused and on topic.

Your pet theories are not the topic. My refusal to discuss them isn't either.

This is how one gets to the truth, not by limiting discussion down one narrow corridor.

Are you really going to drop back to such an utterly pedantic position? You aren't looking for truth; you've stated your opinion which does not match up with anything ... not medical science, nor psychological understanding nor anything else.

You're not looking for truth; you're looking to establish your very transparently authoritarian agenda. /shrug

Uhm, yes.. I did point out that you're on the bandwagon. And now apparently you're being too dull to realize that you're actually agreeing with me. Thank you, it was very unoriginal and it didn't really make any sense. No one's interested in mutilated body parts over here. Or maybe you're projecting?

Monkeys never want to admit they're monkeys. The point is, this civilisation is barbaric and idiotic. Grown up children populate this planet.

Getting bored with the sophomoric, clumsy insults here.

No, conservatives aren't trying to bring down Western civilisation. Our elite is, mostly with the help of brainwashed leftist cattle like yourself. It's called the Coudenhove-Kalergi plan.

Cattle like me? Heheheh. Your true colors shine through with every post. It's actually refreshing.

If you've bought into the right-left paradigm (or any variation on it) you're more ignorant than any of the "monkey's" you keep talking about.

What am I doing? I don't conform to the ideologies on either side that shape the dialectic political puppet show. Not that it matters when people are bound by their normalcy bias but I do speak of the power structures and the organisations and networks that make up these power structures.

You've proven that repeatedly to be untrue and non-factual. You're testifying against yourself.

You'll have to rail on about your pet fringe theories on your own. This has devolved into garden-variety clap-trap.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Attention!

There will be no more direct attacks on other members, covert or overt.

There will be no more warnings.

Debate the topic.

TheRedneck
Forum Moderator

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Most people with mental illness and diseases that lead to drug abuse and alcoholism end up being homeless and living alone on the streets. So no we usually let people with mental illness rot and wither away while we worry about more and more bull# like what tv shows we are going to watch when we get home -

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: Anneethanks Annee. I'm just interested why it's not an issue elsewhere in the world. I've only really heard about the issue since being on ats. I'm sure it will come to the uk soon and hopefully we can treat it all with a bit more rationally

America has a problem with uptight Puritan Fundamentalists.

And their powerful Political Christian Lobby.

This comment of yours proves exactly how mindlessly bias both sides of this are.

You said "America has a problem", which reveals you must believe that anyone who disagrees with you isn't "the true America" or whatever.

No, it means I was responding to someone who was not American. Who asked a question,.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
What is the general consesnsus on encouraging kids to be transgender or not?

Personally, I think one should not encourage or discourage it.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

I agree. No one should be encouraging it. If the kid is persistent, insistent, and consistent over several years, helping him when he asks for help is not encouraging it.

(post by SheopleNation removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

Show me a single example of that actually happening. Its a myth. People effected by gender dysphoria typically feel a sense of shame and embarrassment about their genitals not matching their identity, they are not likely to start drawing attention to what they see as a deformity.

We've had transgender people living alongside us for most of our history, but currently its in the headlines because some people want to make an issue out of it.

Maybe we're not the sheeple? Maybe this whole thing has been brought to your attention by the powers that be in order to distract you from something really serious?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

while I understand your reasoning, its not a matter of a general consensus. Medicine is a science and as such it is based on study, examination and case history. There was once a general consensus that the earth was flat.

While each case should be dealt with on its own merits, there are clearly established protocols and treatment regimes for treating children who exhibit dysmorphic behavior to the point that their health is at risk. The goal is to help the child reach a sense of self that they are happy with and if a medical practitioner is following the recommended procedures, no child is either encouraged or discouraged from any particular action.

Dysmorphic behavior can in some cases be an expression of other mental conditions or problems and good doctors and psychiatrists know this.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: redshoes

That sounds good in theory. However, psychiatry and psychology is not at the peak of knowledge yet. We are discussing transgenders because the phenomena is still a mystery. If it is truely a mental illness, what is the procedure for an attempted cure?

What pills or therapy should one try?

Should we impose our kids on the experimentation of psychiatrists?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Pharmaceutical or surgical treatment is not indicated for minors.

There are many and varied approaches to thearapy, there is not a one size fits all to any treatment regime for mental conditions.

while this topic may be a mystery to most people, there are plenty of qualified professionals who have been working in this field for more than half a century.

I don't think it's valid to say that following published and verified treatment options prescribed by the DSM and WHO for these cases qualifies as experimentation by psychiatrists.

Again, show me a case where this has occurred and I'll lay odds that the professionals involved did not follow established procedures.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

No you treat the illness, you do not allow unmedicated schizophrenics to run a muck do you?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

Or let them redefine morals and social morays for that matter

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

Although, schizophrenia is a (degenertive) mental illness, while gender Gender Dysmorphia is a condition.

I take your point but its not exactly equivalent.

Gender Dysmorphia was down graded from a mental illness to a mental disorder many years ago, and in the most recent edition of the DSM it has been downgraded further to a 'Dysmorphia' principally to help combat the stigma associated with a diagnosis of a mental disorder which has been proven to be harmful for the well being of the majority of patients.

Threads such as this one contribute to the stigma which amounts to a cause of suffering for people with this condition.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It's "gender dysphasia dysphoria" not "gender dysmorphia" ... isn't it?

"gender dysphasia dysphoria" - DSM V

Gender dysphoria will have its own chapter in DSM-5 and will be separated from Sexual Dysfunctions and Paraphilic Disorders.

edit on 17-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted, thanks to Texan

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
What is the general consesnsus on encouraging kids to be transgender or not?

Personally, I think one should not encourage or discourage it.

I say every kid needs to be raised from the Inside Out.

It was once thought a child was a blank slate that could be molded into whatever you wanted them to be.

Science has discovered otherwise. We are who we are born. Our brain is wired to tell us who we are. It's up to us to use it to be the best we can be.

Accept the child for who they are. Encourage the positive, downplay or redirect the negative. Try to introduce/expose them to many things so that they can choose their direction.

Don't mistake that for me saying I'm a Liberal parent and just let a kid run everything. I'm not. We stress manners and correct behavior for the society we live in. Computer time is earned by cooperation in doing homework. We also force him to take dance and acting classes (for his autism).

But, behavior and how you conduct yourself in society has nothing to do with the Gender your brain tells you you are. Or recognizing/accepting that your child's gender may not match the packaging.

edit on 17-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join