It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The hypocrisy of social justice warriors.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
An easily digestible analogy:

Accusing/asking white people if they feel guilty for being white is about as stupid as accusing anyone who disagrees with Obama as being racist.

Your point?

What does that mean other than saying you can't answer the question because it would expose the lies of the whole white guilt BS being taught in our colleges?

Please enlighten me........

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If you're stuck in either/or thinking, sure.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Because its an easy way to shut up any opposition, and if they deny it? DATSRACIST! Obviously ignorant bigot *shoves glasses back up with index finger making some sort of murmuring sound whilst doing so*

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: UKTruth

You mean;

????

haha, yes.

That was up there with 'fascism is the same as communism'.

This guy has more bloopers than Bush.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

What's hard to understand about my point? The ability to see privilege is not rooted in guilt but logic. Majority rules, most social animals go by this.
edit on 4/22/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Wow! I rarely agree with you, but am open to acknowledging your post is a good explanation for the generational SJW movement. Unfortunately, it falls apart when one looks at the social media comments. I am surprised when older and mature adults get drawn into this generations rebellion. Is that due to the older individuals trying to relive their youth?

The older generation also feels disfranchised, unheard, unimportant and devalued. They feel as if they don't matter and aren't being heard. In a society where we are all connected (technology) people aren't "connecting" anymore.

The world has become much more impersonal. All of us can feel it. Our government doesn't listen to us, our media is biased beyond belief. We're told to be like this, act like that, fit into this camp or that. We work until we're practically 70, only to be forced onto a fixed income of peanuts due to the disbanding of quality pensions.

People are becoming bitter and jaded about the world. People are feeling more and more like they are just a number or some kind of robot.

People want to have a voice, they want to be heard and matter. People want to feel important. How this comes out, unfortunately is sometimes in the attention-seeking behavior of SJW types. This is their way of fighting back against the dehumanizing values that are handed down as control mechanisms of our society.

It's a "I'm better than you!" to feed their egos, and "you offend me!" to gain attention.

This also explains why grown adults are acting like petty children, indulging in insanely immature diatribes and arguments. People engrossing themselves in unbridled escapism via video games and other forms of digital media. They are gratifying their egos.

When people feel powerless, they react by taking back whatever control they can find over their lives -- usually this includes things such as drugs, alcohol, and other forms of "feel good" entertainment.

Being a SJW is another form of "feel good entertainment". It's something these powerless feeling people can do that gives them a sense of empowerment. They can point their fingers, they can be the moral judge, they can prop themselves up on a cross or soap box and feel empowered.

So we are seeing people behave like children, indulging themselves more and more in selfish ego-based activities just as children do ... because children also feel an immense sense of powerlessness over their lives as well. Fortunately children don't have access to gambling, drugs, alcohol, or other addictive or harmful activities...they "escape" via their imagination and use toys. Adults are also now doing this as well, but the toys of adults are tablet PC's and social media...

And it all comes down to allowing ourselves to be diminished as individuals. We allow the huge corporations and governments of the world to instill in us a sense of powerlessness and meaninglessness. We allowed ourselves to become marginalized and domesticated into zombie-sheep, easily controllable and excitable -- able to be manipulated and told to "attack" one another in partisan politics as if it were a sport.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

No either/or about it. If you carry around the myth that someone carries a privilege on the basis of their ethnic identity alone then you are more or less weighing them down with the idea that they should feel guilty about it, especially if they refuse to accept that myth.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija

Like the privilege of being blamed for all the world's ills while also being expected to pay the check for solving them, privilege?

"I see" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw...

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Kids always have, and always will look for ways to push back against authority and try to be "anti-establishment" to piss the older generation off.

I think you are partially right. I first had this thought a few years ago when "Occupy Wall Street" was a "thing." Not sure what that "thing" was supposed to be, but I digress. I had some of the same thoughts.

However, we can't simply lay blame at the feet of the younglings. It's the adults that are really egging them on as well. It's all the universities (also known as adults) offering (sometimes pushing) all these "White Privilege" seminars and providing "safe places" and all that. Something that to me seems sort of counter-intuitive to what the college experience was meant to be (a place to exchange new ideas and to learn and grow).

Anyway, I agree with much of what you said.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

So SJWs fight against dehumanizing values by essentially dehumanizing others they see as dehumanizing? Tell me more ...

Because I didn't feel like finding the meme generator for Willy Wonka here, you will have to imagine him.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Why should guilt factor in at all? If you see it and know it's wrong you try to do something about it. Like if you see a kid getting knocked around by an adult, would you not act? Are you acting because you feel guilty that you aren't a kid being knocked around? No... you just know it's wrong and so you do something.

If you don't believe privilege exists, how could you feel guilty?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I'm not saying its right or that its justified -- but when people's egos are crushed and they don't have a voice, being a SJW is a very easy role to step into for a "feel good about myself quick" fix.

As I said, I doubt deep down any of these people (youth or adults) are actually offended or outraged in any real way. They just want to stir the pot to draw attention to themselves and make themselves feel superior.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

What's hard to understand about my point? The ability to see privilege is not rooted in guilt but logic. Majority rules most social animals go by this.

Then why is our institutions of higher learning teaching "white privilege"? Why are "children" who by the way don't give a damn about the color of their friends skin, being taught that their friends who are white are better than them because of the color of their skin? If any children are racist they used to have been easily identified as learning it from home. Now? It seems our wonderful education system is all about teaching children to hate those who are white or at the least expect those who are white to OWE them something? How is that not racist in it's own screwed up logic?

What is logical about a society trying to do away with racism, making everything about race?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: amazing
this world, in the present day, in most places. You do have a slight edge if you are white and male and Christian and Heterosexual.

Asia accounts for nearly half the worlds population and landmass.
white people, all combined, if we pretended america and west europe was 100% white, accounts for about 15% of the world population.
Now back to asia
Lets discuss Japan and China.
If you want a job, you can pretty easily become a english teacher pretty easily. if you are really, really good at their language, you can maybe get a job as translator for VIPs. If however you apply for say, a IT job..good luck, you are a gaijin there. they go with their own people.
This is because over in the far east, they dont give a rats butthole about being PC..they are nationalists, they are not multicultural, they are respective of their own culture and you adapt, you accept, and you also understand you are there as the token person of your nation, not as a asian equal.
And its understood, its respected..you want a job in asian countries that isn't english speaking, then you are spending your own money and starting your own business..because you will always be just a foreigner.
In some places you, as a foreigner..as a white person..cant even bring local women to your home/hotel/etc...because its not allowed..legally.
Dont get me started on africa..search: zimbabwe white farmers. enjoy your reading

That's just the way it is. We know this.

no, we dont "know this", you personally assume this based on propaganda and anti-white retoric.
It is demonstratably false actually. You just assume the entire global community must somehow conform to the nonsense hipster americans are spewing about their profoundly ignorant views of the world.

It goes back to when white guys ruled the world-one example is the British empire wish spanned the entire globe,

Irrelevant to today.

You see it in the American congress, where 80% of them are men and 80% of them are White.

Qualifications comes first. you dont hire people based on skintone, you hire them based on what they can do for you..same with voting. you vote for who can represent you the best.
Are you voting for Herman Caine because he is black kind of thing.
Did you vote for Sarah Palin for VP because of her genitals? no..you probably voted against her because she was a dimwit.
you cannot force people to run for office, or seek out positions

Just wanted to add, no guilt here as I'm white and male. I just don't see the world with blinders on as most do.

Actually..you very much do..absolutely you see with blinders on..and in the blinders is a slideshow of western propaganda. I highly...HIGHLY encourage you to do as I did. get a passport. save up a bit of money, and travel to non western countries for a few years..go live in japan or china for awhile. go explore and expand. you will find out how good and bad your white "privilege" is..and you will come back with a deeper appreciation towards what we have done here by comparison, and also perhaps a bit less tolerant towards those who say the world is great and white people/the west is just terrible and racist. If you cant do that..then hell..just start googling videos of other nations, unbias non-political discussions in the street, etc..check out the expats vloggers living in foreign countries and their accounts of the day to day, etc. But I really do suggest you travel.

Great post. Enjoyed that.
You are absolutely right about China and the same applies in Japan.
Americans are simply not very well travelled in general and don't quite understand the world outside their borders. If they did they would realise just how privileged they really are and how much they were being taken advantage of by the rest of the world (note: yes, i know some Americans are well travelled).
edit on 22/4/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Majority rules, most social animals go by this.

Let's not even go there. If the majority truly rules ... gay marriage would not have happened and transgenders would not be in the bathrooms inappropriate to their genitalia and no one would think this odd.

Either you vastly mistake the majority or the majority only rules when you think it appropriate for it to do so because I heard a lot about how this country protects the rights of minorities during both of the earlier debates I mentioned.

So perhaps given what I recall of your stances in both those issues, we should more accurately say that majority rules when it sides with Kali74, and if that's the case then we can also throw out your grand-standing about logic because at this point, true logic has absolutely nothing at all to do with anything.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I didn't say I did; I said if you carry around that myth.

But the idea that you see something wrong implies that you DO carry around that myth which means you do carry around that idea of guilt and try to lay it on others too like you just did with me.
edit on 22-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: UKTruth

If you work for it, if you study hard, if you put in sweat equity, then it's not "privilege".

But we've allowed the SJW's to reclassify success.

This, yes.

ok, so there are some aspects of privilege I do buy into..but first off, the idea of priveliege isn't a negative term..its something to be relieved or happy about. it is a word that used to mean "count your blessings". these are as followed:
No major handicaps
Born in a family that loves and cares for you
Born in a family that has enough resources to help you seek out a start in life through schooling.

Then we move to a more choice based ease..it is easier for someone to be:
The dominant color of a nation
Hetrosexual
Attractive (in choice because its subjective, but you can work with what you got. styles, confidence, etc)
Fit

The rest is not privilege. it is active choice.

Things that aren't privilege:
Being a male. By far, the western woman is far, far more privileged than men. they get ladies nights, alimony deals overwhelming in their favor, no circumcision, custody battles, typically they are fine in domestic dispute calls and the guy is forced to leave/hang in jail even when it is unclear who is at fault, free stuff given in games, doors held open, etc etc..

Being straight: Gay people get laid far more on average, and often have healthier life habits (lot of gym memberships..I would go to the gym more also if there was a fair chance I could get laid at the gym.)

Being white: Its good to be confident in yourself..but plenty of white dudes that have a miserable life, plenty of black dudes who have confidence having a great life..life choices and personality are at play here and have been for decades.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I saw this video the other day and it is what got me frustrated enough to voice my opinion. It backs up my OP to some degree I think. Kind of infuriating. Some of the hypocrisy I was talking about.

Were all so lost. I'm nowhere near perfect obviously and I don't understand what some people must go through. I truly don't hate anybody.

This discussion and the division happening right now is real and it's happening whether I said anything or not.

I'm gonna give everyone a star because you're all valuable here and deserve recognition.

I hope one day we all figure this out. Like a way to coexist that everyone agrees with.

I doubt it though, that sounds impossible.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

You mean non credit ELECTIVES? Maybe you should take one and learn that acknowledging privilege has nothing to do with guilt or owing anyone anything but rather... simply making things more equitable. You aren't under attack, you're only being manipulated into thinking you are so that you fight to keep the status quo which is of no benefit to you by the way.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: GoShredAK

This is a rant. There's no story, you name no victims (except for white males later on) and there's no way of knowing WHO you're talking about or WHAT you're flaming about. I, too, am failing to see the point of this thread...

Lol, if you can't tell who the idiot in the room is..... Look in the mirror.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join