It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The hypocrisy of social justice warriors.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: Annee

Who is this privileged majority, and how are they privileged?

Is this only a local phenomenon or is this a universal privilege?

In America?

Me. WASP

Missed it by 1 - not a male.

Such self loathing!

So what have you given away to those of a different color skin that you have worked for or acquired? Anything but your opinion? Would you yank your "white child" out of a college or institution, so that their seat could be occupied by a person of color?

Amazing that a white person should feel guilty for being white, yet anyone of a different color skin should be given the privilege of being racist towards those who are white???

Seriously?

How nice of you to try to interject your own thinking and claim it's mine.

Do you have guilt for being white? Simple question.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Whew! Thank God! You dodged a bullet there.

So what exactly is the privilege, you didn't explain that.

Can you quantify it?

It's the default position.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I also ask, name on society that doesn't have a perceived "privileged" group.

Or are we to just look at the world through problematic lenses where everything is problematic? I mean thats the typical feminist outlook no?
(dont have to answer, it's not like even feminist can agree on what feminism is)

My own take on "white privilege" is that in this world, in the present day, in most places. You do have a slight edge if you are white and male and Christian and Heterosexual. That's just the way it is. We know this. Depending on what you're doing, your family, city, country, physical attributes and a number of other variables, that edge could be almost miniscule or non existent in some instances, but in some others it's a huge advantage.

It goes back to when white guys ruled the world-one example is the British empire wish spanned the entire globe, although things have changed considerabley since then, some of the power structure from that time remains.

You see it in the American congress, where 80% of them are men and 80% of them are White.

Just wanted to add, no guilt here as I'm white and male. I just don't see the world with blinders on as most do. An example of blinders is someone that only sees themselves as liberal/democrat or Conservative/republican. That's a media creation and a way to divide us.
edit on 22-4-2016 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I am surprised when older and mature adults get drawn into this generations rebellion. Is that due to the older individuals trying to relive their youth?

Like how?

Please explain.

I come here to post my views rather than FB. I am not foolish enough to risk my husband's career by taking any stances. They are so many friends and family who have foolishly done so and suffered lost of friends and clients. Many of my friends are also offshoots from my millennial daughters. That is why I can recognize rebellion. Yet, many older friends my age and older are actually getting caught up in this division of America. I know their histories, and know they went through a spell of discontent feeling like they were not really heard back then. They have responsibilities now, children getting older, and want to live it up. Sort of a midlife crisis issue....this SJW movement makes them feel more involved in the current process.

It is hard to explain...since like the transgender issue that has recently become big news. I am sure at some point in my life I have shared a bathroom with a transgendered person. Though, truthfully, I have known some actual woman that looked like men but were not trans. Just genetics at play. My point being, it has never really been an issue until the SJW's made it an issue. That is a few examples in my opinion.

I truly do feel that Internet and media proproganda is partly to blame though. So many only quickly read headlines and do not take time to understand all the details. There is too much info online to digest and they are busy in their lives that they will only gloss over the main points! This is not just millennialist...so many older people have become indoctrinated into snippets of social media that they are not immune.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I knew you couldn't.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: introvert

Yes and the false narrative aims at achieving that which it bitches so loudly about... silencing through shame. I seriously don't know how so many fall for this BS.

Its piggybacking a old culture war onto any new movement that makes headway.

A good example is a safety net discussion.
A fair debate can be had about how many social programs should be made, for what, who, etc...foodstamps, education, and some temporary assistance may be great for someone falling on hard times, so a discussion about this is fantastic to have, and what amounts is healthy to help.
Then you will eventually attract the loudmouths screaming death to capitalism, everyone who works should have a 3 bedroom house regardless of job, free university to study their philosophy and ancient basket weaving degrees, etc...of course those are the schmucks being soo loud it deafens, and the media points cameras at them, suggesting this is the side for social programs.
And those people might truly believe in their marxist views..hell, China with 1.3b people are under a marxist regime and it is actively being exported as a viable alternative. We cant dismiss them.
So what we then have are splinterings..instead of just liberals, you now have progressives, and counter to that are civil libertarians. on the opposite side you got conservatives breaking into conservative libertarians, establishment gop, and then you got a scattering in between the 4 different sides. But the news still only shows off 2 different sides to a now complex society..there are at least 4 sides minimum going on and should be all given equal time and consideration..but that wont happen..so the loudest ones get the airtime and the identification of half the debate.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
A quote from your e cards:- announcing " I'm offended" is basically telling the world you can't control your own emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

I'm just too old, and don't really care who is offended, its in the bible somewhere, 'If thine eyes offend thee, tear them out' if you don't like the TV program, got a remote? don't like what you're reading? close the book, terrible things being said on the radio? has it got an 'off' switch?

If there is nothing on the TV I want to watch, it stays off, more than enough on the PC to view, multiple choices seem to confuse some people, in real desperation, I have books, those things with sheets of paper on the inside, full of printed information, and, gosh, pictures!

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

If you feel guilty/uncomfortable, you could always move to a predominantly non-white country and repent.

IMO Money = Privileges, check out dem Saudis.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

If you feel guilty/uncomfortable, you could always move to a predominantly non-white country and repent.

IMO Money = Privileges, check out dem Saudis.

LOL except I said I didn't feel guilty.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

In America?

Me. WASP

Such self loathing!

So what have you given away to those of a different color skin that you have worked for or acquired? Anything but your opinion? Would you yank your "white child" out of a college or institution, so that their seat could be occupied by a person of color?

Amazing that a white person should feel guilty for being white, yet anyone of a different color skin should be given the privilege of being racist towards those who are white???

Seriously?

Do you really think that way? I don't respond to stupid questions.

Majority is a default position. In America it's white, Christian male. That's just a fact.

Is privilege even noticed without a challenge?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

You can't escape White-Guilt, my Cauc.

Apparently none of us can, it's like the privilege, they both are like the force, you cant measure it, but its there?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I knew you couldn't.

I'm not going to play your games.

Grow up.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I feel privileged.

I also work a lot, went to college, joined the military, paid my dues.

But I guess I'm just privileged because it was all just given to me.

I'm sorry.

Please tax me 110%.

It's my way of easing my guilt for being so lucky.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

You can't escape White-Guilt, my Cauc.

Apparently none of us can, it's like the privilege, they both are like the force, you cant measure it, but its there?

I'm sorry you feel that way. What causes you to feel guilty? Serious question. I had an old timer tell me one time, f*** guilt. You don't need it. Move on, make amends and do the right things moving forward.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

Nailed it!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

In America?

Me. WASP

Such self loathing!

Seriously?

Do you really think that way? I don't respond to stupid questions.

Majority is a default position. In America it's white, Christian male. That's just a fact.

Is privilege even noticed without a challenge?

Why are you avoiding a very simple question?

YOU are the one who defined yourself as a WASP and then made mention of at least not being a male! Right?

To refresh your memory..

In America?

Me. WASP

So is that an admission of self loathing/guilt or am I missing something?

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Has nothing to do with a game, you simply avoid things you can't refute when you are called out on your BS.

Don't get upset that I keep calling you on it.

It's the nature of a debate.
edit on 22-4-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija

So you are confirming it can't be measured, it's a perceived feeling eh?

Cool, thanks for the Tumblr images.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

I also ask, name on society that doesn't have a perceived "privileged" group.

Or are we to just look at the world through problematic lenses where everything is problematic? I mean thats the typical feminist outlook no?
(dont have to answer, it's not like even feminist can agree on what feminism is)

My own take on "white privilege" is that in this world, in the present day, in most places. You do have a slight edge if you are white and male and Christian and Heterosexual. That's just the way it is. We know this. Depending on what you're doing, your family, city, country, physical attributes and a number of other variables, that edge could be almost miniscule or non existent in some instances, but in some others it's a huge advantage.

It goes back to when white guys ruled the world-one example is the British empire wish spanned the entire globe, although things have changed considerabley since then, some of the power structure from that time remains.

You see it in the American congress, where 80% of them are men and 80% of them are White.

Just wanted to add, no guilt here as I'm white and male. I just don't see the world with blinders on as most do. An example of blinders is someone that only sees themselves as liberal/democrat or Conservative/republican. That's a media creation and a way to divide us.

About 73% of the US population is white though, so 80% does not seem unreasonable especially when you consider evolution over time and career politicians dying out. .

There might be something in the 80/20 split men vs women, but I suspect there are other factors at play here too. I seem to recall some studies that say women make better law makers than men, but also that they are just not as interested in political positions as men (with many finding the job in congress or the senate as a little distasteful). Throw in the family dynamic and there are more valid reasons than any kind of sexism or male privilege.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join