It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Comedy Festival: Straight White Men $25, All Others $19.25

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: maria_stardust
What that article basically states is that the gender pay gap is just under a dime as opposed to 23 cents. Yet, that is still a far cry from claiming it does not exist.

Incorrect.

A discrepancy of $0.10, after 1 year of employment, could occur for a myriad of reasons. None of which guarantee, or even signify, discrimination.

That is after the first review, for the vast majority of employers/employees. Aka, the point when equal starting wages begin to diverge based on performance.

Also, without pouring over a couple million reviews, it is just as likely that 1 very top performer on one side, or one very poor performer on the other, has skewed the results rather than discrimination has skewed the results.

As for this topic, the only thing it has shown is how petty people can be.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

There's no doubt that this discrimination. The intent of this ploy is to demonstrate discrimination via discrimination, hence the satire.

In short, it's meant to be offensive because discrimination is offensive.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

The charge involved is for comedians submitting applications to perform on the show. It has nothing to do with the ticket price or cover charge for attending the show.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

On an individual, case-by-case basis, pay discrepancies can be accounted for.

On a categorical, gender to gender basis, the gap still remains.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust

You don't seem to get my point, the intent? Do you have magic powers to know why people do things or you got a source?

Nah you got your opinion about this being a farse, your don't really know if they pretend or they are really fools

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I suppose the next course of action is segregated drinking fountains. White male privilege is so strong it actually loses privileges.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

If you would take a moment to read the opening post again, you will see that the underlying intent in the application fee discrepancy has been to highlight discrimination.

That really is the only source needed.

So, yes, this group's intention is both deliberate and discriminatory. They make no bones about it.

No, I have no insider information as I'm not affiliated with this group in any way. I'm reading the same thing you are.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I'm dumb as #, please quote from this link the obvious part that I'm missing

www.cinderblockcomedyfestival.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

On an individual, case-by-case basis, pay discrepancies can be accounted for.

On a categorical, gender to gender basis, the gap still remains.

Only if you have predetermined that ANY discrepancy is due to gender pay gap, prior to even seeing the statistics.

A $0.06 discrepancy would have fallen so far into the acceptable 'equal' range of the study, that they wouldn't even have declared it a discrepancy, if the study was done blind. It would have been considered an acceptable deviation based on 1 year employment, and the standard assumption of wage divergence after standard employee reviews.

Too be honest, I can't even imagine how a study on wages would find anything under a $1 wage gap, after one year of employment, anomalous. It is routine to see larger discrepancies in wages, after one year of employment, between identical positions with perfectly equal starting wages and perfectly equal employment reviews.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Honestly, I have no idea what you're missing.

I'm working off the same info you have from the opening post of this thread.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Honestly, I have no idea what you're missing.

The delicate satirical taste of women it seems

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

It's all a matter of perspective.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
We have a new weapon against inequality! We call it.... Inequality!

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
There would be a riot on the street if the sign said No Blacks, No Gays, No Women, No Transexuals, Weirdos.
edit on 26-2-2016 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I get and can appreciate what they're doing for sure. Unfortunately, all this is going to lead to is some over-sensitive MRA-types to throw a show with application fees leaning the other way, and the divisiveness continues.

"Fightin' fire with unlit matches/From our respective trenches"

The only people who they'll "reach" with their attempt at satire are people who already agree with them. That's fun and all and I'm sure there'll be some great quips and "you go girl" moments (because I still live in the 90s) but in the end the clever snarkiness won't bring the world any closer to realizing the real change they (claim to) want to affect.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

I wonder how much they will whine when the targets of their ire decide not to support these sorts of people anymore?

Really, why go where you obviously aren't wanted?

I certainly wouldn't. I'd spend my money on people that don't obviously hate me.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

A group of women organizing a COMEDY event, SATIRIZES a sadly long standing social issue by MIMICING the socio-economic disparity of gender inequality, is quite frankly, hilarious.

Reading the over-the-top, seething anger aimed at these obviously evil feminists intent in destroying all that is good in the world is not so funny.

If you all are getting up in arms over a $5.75 discrepancy for a submission application fee, then try to imagine how women feel for being paid significantly less wages than their male counterparts for the same job.

Oh, the irony!

You do realize the gender pay gap has been debunked countless times. It has more to do with chosen fields of study than equal pay for equal jobs. While we are at it you also realize white men make .89 on the dollar to Asian men in the us?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

I think its being done as a joke, and I think the joke is funny personally. It made me laugh when I heard that. Its a parody on business discrimination laws, which clearly they believe should not exist, and they are right.

While discrimination is wrong, its just as wrong to tell a business that you'll force them using violence to have specific policies on who they can and can't let into their building and at what price. Two wrongs don't make a right.

The proper way to protest a business that discriminates against straights or whites isn't to use threats of violence against them, but rather to have you and your friends refuse to do business with them and vocally protest their decisions. That is the way to protest discrimination, not by government violence of forcing the business to close down if they don't change their policies.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The message here is simple - gray asexual mass consumers are the preferred slave race of world controllers.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join