It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Comedy Festival: Straight White Men $25, All Others $19.25

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

What about the gay olympics? this kind of # has gone on for years.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
that's asking for a lawsuit

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager
a reply to: theantediluvian

A family owned bakery whose religious beliefs prevented them from baking a cake for a gay couple is much different than a public event that discriminates.

I'm all for freedom of religion on individual basis and family owned/operated businesses, but not for public institutions or gatherings. If a Muslim cab driver doesn't want a dog in his cab, so be it. If a Christian concert is being held and they give every person admission for $19.95 but gays are charged $25, sue them.

Bakery or comedy show — in either case it's a private enterprise doing business with the public. You're inventing purely arbitrary distinctions to justify your logically inconsistent positions.

EDIT:

I think the best case scenario here is that they are sued and it becomes a huge media spectacle al a the bakery, the pizzeria, Kim Davis, etc. Then when it gets shutdown they can throw up a crowdfunding campaign and rake in a bunch of money for their failed attempt at discrimination. I'm sure Mike Huckabee will show up to hold their hands.
edit on 2016-2-26 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Undoubtedly, white men who pay the jizya are masochists as they will undoubtedly be the butt of all the others' jokes. As masochists, they are not straight white males but can't qualify for the discount unless they pay the extra. A Catch 22.

Meh, it's in "The City" as the occupants refer to it, not recognizing any other cluster of huts as worthy of the title, so it's just another pretend time for pretend urbane sophisticates.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

I have no problem with the entertainment industry hiring talent according by demographic since that is a key element. They do this with music videos, commercials, etc. It's not odd.

But what I thought was uncool was the $25 dollar submission fee for the white straight men. So I went to their site for the submission page. Not there. I reread the article and looked for a quote confirming this. Not there.

Can anybody actually confirm the price difference? Without the price difference, this is no different than any other talent submission.
edit on 26-2-2016 by Abysha because: spellinz

ps edit - I wrote that before my first cup of coffee. I get it now. Well played, Cinder Block folks.
edit on 26-2-2016 by Abysha because: post-coffee thought

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Boadicea

I starred you for at least being ideologically consistent!

Thank you!!! I very much appreciate that -- not the star, but the sentiment.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bleeeeep

Quite simply, discrimination.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: maria_stardust
a reply to: Another_Nut

While what I witnessed and experienced is strictly anecdotal, that does not mean gender pay equality does not or has not existed.

Nor does my status as a super mod have any bearing on the topic. Nice bit of deflecting!

You're a super mod, Admittedly if I had known that a long time ago my behavior would of been different, probably would of asked you out for a drink; or wherever it is you super models like to go.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust

Here is one interesting article on the Wage Gap Myth, but there are many more.

The AAUW researchers looked at male and female college graduates one year after graduation. After controlling for several relevant factors (though some were left out, as we shall see), they found that the wage gap narrowed to only 6.6 cents. How much of that is attributable to discrimination? As AAUW spokesperson Lisa Maatz candidly said in an NPR interview, "We are still trying to figure that out."

One of the best studies on the wage gap was released in 2009 by the U.S. Department of Labor. It examined more than 50 peer-reviewed papers and concluded that the 23-cent wage gap "may be almost entirely the result of individual choices being made by both male and female workers." In the past, women's groups have ignored or explained away such findings.

Wage Gap Myth Exposed - By Feminists

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

Sorry, I see you essentially posted the same study info as I did regarding the Pay Gap Myth

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Using discrimination to say that discrimination is wrong is like saying that it is wrong to say what is wrong for another.

Which is a paradox, right? You see the paradox in saying that it is wrong to say what is wrong for another?

So... Is the folly that there is no equality for the discriminated or is the folly all the paradoxical PC crazies crowds which flood to these topics?

Are you sure that they're not trying to throw eggs in the PC crowds' faces?

I mean, I think that's the joke/their intended message: that there is no "correct".

Edit: Like this: kfcomedy.com...

If you're arguing PC, no matter what side you're on, you're the brunt, I think.
edit on 2/26/2016 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: deltaalphanovember

What that article basically states is that the gender pay gap is just under a dime as opposed to 23 cents. Yet, that is still a far cry from claiming it does not exist.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I will concede you that point, however, as per the AAUW themselves, the Wage Gap may not be based on discrimination at all, but due to "other" factors.

Personal Experience
I work on the Software Development industry, and the population is heavily white male oriented (at least here in South Africa) but I have never once seen a female discriminated against or paid less. In fact it is the opposite due to their scarcity value for the company (Employment Equity points), as well as the fact that most developers I know will respect anyone who can code - black, white, female or gay.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Bleeeeep

Discrimination in any form is wrong, which is precisely why this publicity stunt has been effective. It was meant to be controversial in order to highlight and condemn such disparities. Consider it a form of social commentary.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Are you an insider or you have a link showing its a stunt or you simply refuse to see real discrimination by fellow women?

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I have got to say, obvious satire and comedy is obvious.

I think this is pretty epic. And it is working beautifully. Look at all the offended dudes here. Get over it. The price difference is using comedy to prove a pretty valid point. Taking it far? You bet.

If they implement this each year following i could see some offence being taken but until then...btw I am a straight white male. I still find this epic.

Some of you are asking for proof this is a stunt...well it IS a comedy event. Proof is in the pudding and all that. Truthfully i dont see why any male besides a city dwelling hipster would want to attend or perform at this event.

edit on 26-2-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I have a feeling that this was or is a poor attempt at humor. After all I doubt there will be a litmus test to determine ones sexuality and therefore anyone can purchase a ticket at the lower price. Just a comic approach to political correctness. An attempt that has backfired but maybe it will lead to people seeing just how stupid it is, political correctness that is.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Bakery or comedy show — in either case it's a private enterprise doing business with the public. You're inventing purely arbitrary distinctions to justify your logically inconsistent positions.

There is a clear distinction in what I said. The first amendment covers freedom of religion for individuals not for public institutions. A family owned/operated(operated being the key word) bakery is different than a collaboration women throwing a comedy festival.

Individuals should be able to use their own discretion on how practice their beliefs, organizations shouldn't.

Personally, I'm ok with individuals and family businesses denying service for anything they please.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Regardless of genetalia, I never employed a woman, nor have my parents because we arent business owners.

Why should I be charged more du to a percieved injustice focused on me just because I'm white, bearded and want to see a comedy show?

Thats morally wrong, and quite literally and obviously sexist and racist.

So a comedy show should be allowed to discriminate on these qualifiers because its a joke? Its not a joke if its costing you money at the very least.

shame

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

The pay gap is yet to be proven as a system, rather than just a scattered bunch of shady business owners.

Wage gap myth

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join