It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Referendum 23 June 2016 - Will it be an EU BREXIT or Not?

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
More from Vote Leave:

Justice Minister: Staying in EU makes UK less safe

In an important speech today, Dominic Raab MP highlights the danger that staying in the European Union poses to the UK. The Justice Minister argues that if we stay in the EU, we will be unable to take the steps needed to ensure our safety, such as controlling our own borders, deporting dangerous criminals and fully supporting our NATO allies. He points out that the sheer number of people entering the UK has made it harder for our intelligence services to monitor those presenting a ‘credible and current danger’.

The former chiefs of the CIA, NSA and MI6 have all said that our national security will be strengthened if we leave the EU. While we remain in the EU, the European Court controls how our intelligence services track terrorists. After we Vote Leave, we will be able to improve relations with our key allies. We will take back control of our borders to ensure we can keep out criminals who represent a danger to society. The safer choice is to Vote Leave on 23 June.

EU lets down steelworkers

Thousands of jobs in the UK’s steel industry are at risk as the EU continues to be slow to respond to the dumping of cheap Chinese steel into the European market. Eurocrats have been investigating how to address this since 2008, but have taken no action.

EU state aid rules means that the UK Government is very limited in its ability to support the steel industry. The EU’s delays have cost the UK’s steel industry £6.2 million and UK industry as a whole £41.1 million. So long as we’re in the EU we have given away control over key areas of our economy like trade policy. If we Vote Leave on 23 June, we will take back control and get the powers we need to help our struggling industries.

The IN campaign continues to do Britain down

The Government knows that it cannot provide any positive reasons for why the public should vote to stay in the EU. Downing Street realises that the Prime Minister’s deal won’t satisfy the British people. That is why the IN campaign are resorting to doing down Britain and suggesting that we won’t survive on our own.

Yesterday, Education Secretary Nicky Morgan played her part, claiming that young voters would lose out if we left the EU. The pro-EU minister argued leaving the EU would cut off the modern generation from the world. This is nonsense. The EU has been harmful for young people. It has driven up costs and forced down wages – while the record level of youth unemployment in southern Europe has created a lost generation on the continent.

After we Vote Leave, young people will still be able to work and travel abroad. Many countries outside the EU use the Erasmus student exchange scheme and benefit from EU university funding, whilst Interrailing – another of Mrs. Morgan’s scare stories – stretches far beyond the EU’s borders.

If we Vote Leave we can spend the £350 million we send to the EU each week on our priorities. Young people will benefit hugely from this, as they will grow up in a United Kingdom which can properly invest in its hospitals, schools, housing and other vital public services. The only way to achieve this is to Vote Leave on 23 June.

Don’t believe the scare stories about the UK leaving the EU. Remember…

As the Chairman of the IN campaign has admitted: ‘Nothing is going to happen if we come out ... There will be absolutely no change … It’s not going to be a step change or somebody’s going to turn the lights out.’

www.thetimes.co.uk...

Today’s must-reads:

EU are ‘too slack on travel ID checks’, Justice Minister is set to claim - Sun
www.thesun.co.uk...

Thousands of British jobs at risk as Tata Steel prepares to sell entire UK business - Mail
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Just 16% of Norway want to join the EU - Times
www.thetimes.co.uk...

EU admits plot for FEDERAL superstate and describes Brussels attacks as an 'opportunity' - Express
www.express.co.uk...

Is Sir Cover-Up working with pro-EU lobby? Er, he won't say! - Mail
www.dailymail.co.uk... t-Remain-campaigners.html

DECC Urged Energy Firms To Echo Brexit Alarm - Sky
news.sky.com...

Let’s be brutally honest: this remain campaign is failing - Jackie Ashley, Guardian
www.theguardian.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

In your last link (Guardian).

because most of the newspapers are ideologically hostile to Brussels, and the BBC is paralysed;

The BBC received millions in EU funding which it did not declare. Hardly paralysed.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

You do have a valid point and I agreed with you. I just don't think there will be many, certainly not enough to make the majority of older people vote to remain in, in my opinion.

Obviously not though as anything that suggests a remain vote gets boo'd out of oblivion here....

I don't see anyone booing if someone suggests that they think we will remain in the EU.
I've stated that I think we will unfortunately vote to remain and I think a couple of others have too.

I''m still waiting for someone to give me a strong positive reason for staying in the EU.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty

You do have a valid point and I agreed with you. I just don't think there will be many, certainly not enough to make the majority of older people vote to remain in, in my opinion.

Obviously not though as anything that suggests a remain vote gets boo'd out of oblivion here....

I don't see anyone booing if someone suggests that they think we will remain in the EU.
I've stated that I think we will unfortunately vote to remain and I think a couple of others have too.

I''m still waiting for someone to give me a strong positive reason for staying in the EU.

You are looking in the wrong place if looking for an unbiased response.

The OP will not even respond to my comments even though they are valid because I am speaking in favour of a remain vote.

It really is quite sad that supposedly informed people will try to use a forum such as this for political gain as opposed to rational discussion but what can you do?

I am happy to debate the situation, this thread is nothing more that a poor attempt at fuelling an EU exit for the UK.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I have a couple of 'older' married neighbours retired who are

friends with three or four older couples who used to go to Spain

four or five times a year, couple of the couples had apartments

out there. Last summer, or the one before the two of the couples

with the apartments sold up and returned to the UK. When I

enquired why, I was told that all the niggles of 'old' age were

appearing and that there wasn't the care envoirement that they

required, and that the cost of living out there was creeping up,

so it was better for them to return. Unless you were a bit better

off (like the exiled bank robbers etc.LOL!! It wasn't all it

was cracked up to be.

Unless your friend is reasonably well off wont he be vying for

accommodation with the influx of migrants in the EU countries?

edit on 30-3-2016 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I'm not looking for an unbiased response. I'm waiting for someone to give me at least one strong positive reason for staying in the EU. It can be from a biased source, as long as it is factually correct.

The OP will not even respond to my comments even though they are valid because I am speaking in favour of a remain vote.

I think that's more to do with your heated argument and throwing insults at each other.

It really is quite sad that supposedly informed people will try to use a forum such as this for political gain as opposed to rational discussion but what can you do?

Why is it sad? This could be potentially one of the biggest votes we will make in our lifetimes and some people believe that the stakes are high for both remaining in the EU and for leaving the EU. It's one of the few things people can actually do to contribute to the debate, other than posting leaflets/knocking on doors etc.

I am happy to debate the situation, this thread is nothing more that a poor attempt at fuelling an EU exit for the UK.

There have been dozens of very valid points being made with regard to EU membership and you only see it as an attempt to fuel an EU exit because the majority of the major points have come from the Leave side.

I ask again... give me one strong positive reason for staying in the EU.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Brendan O'Neil *admiration*

From Spiked today.

Mortifyingly, this has been the stuff of the EU discussion in Britain since the Brussels bombings last week. The bodies had barely been counted before both the Leave and the Stay lobbies were foully marshalling the dead as a zombie army for their side in the EU debate.

In a nutshell: Do you want to carry on living? Would you rather not be killed on your way to work one Monday morning? Then vote Leave. Or Stay. Or whichever camp has terrified you about terrorism the most; whichever side has appealed most convincingly to your inner black angst in lieu of having anything of substance or spark to say to your mind or heart.

And so the EU debate has become a catfight between catastrophists. And the worst of it is what it does to us, the electorate. The politics of fear reduces us from engaged citizens capable of understanding complexities and making moral decisions to bovine creatures who must be prodded this way or that. Where the old ideal of politics was as a ‘science of government’, and one the demos ought to be trusted to engage with and shape, the politics of fear is an appeal to our more unhinged feelings: the bits of us that are rash, given to freaking out.

It paternalistically treats us as putty to be shaped by claims of fear rather than as minds to be engaged at the level of cool-headed information and serious conviction. It replaces the political with the visceral, a clash of ideas with alternating demands on our darker emotions

The EU battle: they’re all part of Project Fear now

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
One of the main reasons David Cameron is advocating we stay in the EU is that

the *UK will be safer and stronger within the EU*

HOWEVER

Due to our close intelligence relationship with the USA, we have been able to

foil seven terrorist attacks due to take place in the UK over this past twelve

months!

Whereas Paris has suffered two as has Brussels, not to mention the animal like

behaviour exhibited in Germany and Sweden and other places by immigrants

over the Christmas holidays...

So I ask the question "Where does the perception come from that we are safer

within the EU" ..... It is the terrorist's that are hitting their targets of Brussels

and France.While the UK along with the USA has managed to foil a greater number

of atrocities in their homeland

So I guess the answer must be that we are NOT safer and stronger

in the EU

edit on 30-3-2016 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

In your last link (Guardian).

because most of the newspapers are ideologically hostile to Brussels, and the BBC is paralysed;

The BBC received millions in EU funding which it did not declare. Hardly paralysed.

Fair comment!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty

originally posted by: nonspecific

I'm not looking for an unbiased response. I'm waiting for someone to give me at least one strong positive reason for staying in the EU. It can be from a biased source, as long as it is factually correct.

I think that's more to do with your heated argument and throwing insults at each other.

Why is it sad? This could be potentially one of the biggest votes we will make in our lifetimes and some people believe that the stakes are high for both remaining in the EU and for leaving the EU. It's one of the few things people can actually do to contribute to the debate, other than posting leaflets/knocking on doors etc.

There have been dozens of very valid points being made with regard to EU membership and you only see it as an attempt to fuel an EU exit because the majority of the major points have come from the Leave side.

I ask again... give me one strong positive reason for staying in the EU.
Your comments are the correct perspective, there have been many arguments presented on both sides, however, it is hard to avoid noticing that the majority and stronger arguments appear to come from those who favour leaving as do the reference links embedded!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Re. The rhetoric coming from the in campaign 'unemployment out of the EU will rocket

Some unemployment facts and figures >>>>

The OECD says 16/20 highest unemployed are in the EU.

Of the 10 with the highest unemployment only one is not in the EU.

Unemployment averages 6.5%

But it is 8.9% in the EU and 10.9% in Eurozone countries

The EU is so keen on economic well being, but it is failing all the other

countries in the EU

The UK unemployment is just over 5% .... the lowest of all

Do we need the EU to keep the British employed

One Minute with Dr Liam Fox.....

www.youtube.com...

Sorry links not working and I don't know how to embed.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
British public must be told truth about immigration figures ahead of EU referendum, says watchdog...

The Office for National Statistics has been told to launch an urgent review of Britain’s official immigration figures ahead of the European Union referendum amid concerns they may be wrong, The Telegraph can disclose.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

"The letter revealed the UK Statistics Authority (UKSA’s) concerns focus on differences between ONS migration figures and data produced by other government departments - which have shown a discrepancy of more than a million EU migrants over the last five years."

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
For those interested this is link for ongoing vote on EU which will run up until 23 Junewww.pollstation.uk...

Only 3,514 votes so far as just started but so far 61% to Leave which interestingly is similar to voting trend on here. I sure hope this is true. I wonder why the official polls are so different to these results?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens
For those interested this is link for ongoing vote on EU which will run up until 23 Junewww.pollstation.uk...

Only 3,514 votes so far as just started but so far 61% to Leave which interestingly is similar to voting trend on here. I sure hope this is true. I wonder why the official polls are so different to these results?

Different methodologies are used so they are not comparable.

Online polls will show a higher percentage for Leave, while telephone polls usually show less people wanting to leave.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Very latest concerns from Vote Leave:

Throughout this campaign we’ve been clear about the benefits of Leaving the EU: that taking back control would be better for everyone; that we will be able to spend the £350 million a week we send to the EU on our own priorities instead.

But with just 12 weeks before the referendum, the IN campaign is still feeding people dodgy statistics and scare stories produced by their EU-funded cronies.

Just yesterday they wrote to thousands of people, making wild claims and spreading their message of fear. Here is what they said. We've added some facts:

Scare story 1: ‘950,000 jobs will be lost by 2020 and our economy would be £100 billion worse off.’
Facts: The report on which this claim is made actually shows that 3 million jobs will be created if we Vote Leave, that economic growth would continue in the short-term (until 2020) and that growth will be higher in the medium-term (between 2021 and 2030).

Scare story 2: ‘The average UK household between £850 and £1,700 a year worse off in the long term’.
Facts: This is not a neutral analysis, but is from the EU-funded Centre for Economic Performance (who strongly promoted joining the Euro). The paper assumes trade would be reduced if we left the EU, despite David Cameron saying that: 'If we were outside the EU altogether, we’d still be trading with all these European countries, of course we would...There’s a lot of scaremongering...Of course the trading would go on'.

Scare Story 3: ‘The NHS's finances hit - with public spending cut by up to £40 billion by 2030, hitting investment in public services’.
Facts: This dodgy claim comes from Oxford Economics, an organisation that has received €157,035 in grants from the European Commission. They cannot be considered as being able to give an independent view. The report assumes we would strike no new free trade agreements if we Vote Leave, a highly dubious assumption.

Scare Story 4: 'Mortgage bills soaring - “prolonged uncertainty” meaning mortgage bills rising for millions of families'.
Facts: The Governor of the Bank of England has said that the EU referendum is not the greatest threat to financial stability (China is) and that there are risks from remaining in the European Union...particularly related to the development of the euro area.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I still dont understand why that should make the difference though. Do you think the people they telephone arent just randomly picked but are merely selected because they fit the profile of someone who may be more likely to Remain so as to not give a realistic insight but push the official government agenda?a reply to: 83Liberty

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Are you Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson or Ian Duncan Smith in disguise? You seem very well read and informed on the nonsense being pushed by Remain! Only kidding good work lola reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens

Online polls are usually conducted through a company like YouGov, where the respondent signs up/registers to answer polls, for a few little rewards. Telephone interviewing is the interviewer phoning random people who are not always seeking to answer polls.

Also different polls have different questions, some have more leading questions than others.

Also different pollsters use different weightings for their data.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I guess that the people who answer online polls are struggling financially so want to make some extra money/get free gifts?

Maybe it's a class issue? The rich usually want to stay in (selfishly keeping the status quo), while the poorer people are more likely to want to Leave?

I have no evidence or data, just a thought that came to me.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens
Are you Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson or Ian Duncan Smith in disguise? You seem very well read and informed on the nonsense being pushed by Remain! Only kidding good work lola reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

My mission was a secret because I'm actually going to vote remain..............?, but I like winding some folk up!

new topics

top topics

<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join