It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quit offering idiotic and potentially criminal self defense advice

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
I'm sure this thread will certainly change all of the people's minds who offered such advice.

So am I. That's why I put it in RANT.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
The OP is right, doing those things will probably get you killed.

Be sensible, and get a gun instead.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

Can't have a gun in a school or any federal buildings or courthouses or parks etc.....

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
First off want to say I am a judo and wrestling coach with a lifetime of martial arts training and have worked with both antibullying and police (of which I have several friends).

The best move if you can is yell and run.

That being said perhaps you should have read some legal self defence articles before posting. If you are being attacked and can not escape you can defend yourself in what ever means necessary. Wasp spray included. You could be sued outside of criminal law but that is a different situation. Usually because your lawyer wasn't as good as the assailent.

You can be charged for instance for having mace but not for using it in a defense against deadly force. Again if your life is threatened and it is clear to law enforcement you can use what even means necessary.

It's a problem when you could have escaped and decided to be rambo in some states. Or if the threat no longer existed.

But yeah in an active shooter technically you could stand a pencil in some bodies ear. The chances of success however are a different thing.
en.m.wikipedia.org...(United_States)
edit on 1-2-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
I'm sure this thread will certainly change all of the people's minds who offered such advice.

So am I. That's why I put it in RANT.

Has ranting made you feel any better?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

originally posted by: eXia7

Can't have a gun in a school or any federal buildings or courthouses or parks etc.....

Oh, you mean victim disarmament zones?

Yeah I guess you are right, perhaps people should try and get this rule changed then huh?
edit on 2/1/2016 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I agree about the knife, in the danish girl treat I said I always carry a knife and could not believe that was illegal, never said it was for self defense.

I hope you never have to open a super strong plastic wrap or cut a rope without something sharp

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

victim disarmament zones

You really should trademark that, because I've never seen it more properly described.
"Sure you can carry a gun, except here and here and here and here and.................."

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: eXia7

victim disarmament zones

You really should trademark that, because I've never seen it more properly described.
"Sure you can carry a gun, except here and here and here and here and.................."

They already put up the " gun free zone" signs, everyone knows nobody would violate a rule by bringing a gun into one....
Duh!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
teehee! You're cute when you are angry and disgusted. Not that you are not cute when you aren't, but, uh, oh anyway,

Good rant! And yes, I think there is a high probability of someone being killed or injured with their own 'protective instrument' which otherwise wouldn't have been introduced into the situation. Which is why I don't have a ggggggun.

I think I can kick, bite, scream and run. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. I also have a very sharp tongue when I want to and can scare people with words.

: )

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: Kali74

A well needed rant. You're hilarious when you're mad.

Mom! I'm serious! Where's the stud finder, I want to punch a hole in the wall!

^Beep

Hey! I may be old but I'm not old enough to be your mom! I know you're serious and your rant is very appropriate... but you were still hilarious

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Just go get us some meatloaf.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Just go get us some meatloaf.

One smashed meat brick to your head coming right up!

PS Domo...

I'm using this offensively not defensively.

hhahahaha
edit on 2/1/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
One smashed meat brick to your head coming right up!

Pretty much the only portion of my anatomy you cannot damage further.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
teehee! You're cute when you are angry and disgusted. Not that you are not cute when you aren't, but, uh, oh anyway,

Good rant! And yes, I think there is a high probability of someone being killed or injured with their own 'protective instrument' which otherwise wouldn't have been introduced into the situation. Which is why I don't have a ggggggun.

I think I can kick, bite, scream and run. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. I also have a very sharp tongue when I want to and can scare people with words.

: )

It's also highly likely you already carry something that you can defend yourself with. Even a checkbook can be rolled up tightly and forced into soft.areas. Keys etc.

In contrast to the op pens and pencils are perfectly legal and useful as well.

Stun and run tacticts I like to say.

Krav maga for instance uses a 3/4 inch dowel about 6-8 inches long. Once trained with a little bit is pretty effective but less so if you aren't trained (the attacker).

Sometimes however like if your home or children are in danger its a good idea to know how to stop someone. I always encourage a tactical defence class or two. At least to have an idea of strategy.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Years ago I bought a "two-fer" of little canisters of something from Amazon. One for the bed-side table, one for the car. They have probably evaporated by now, but they are still there.

This was prompted by hearing a bump during the night, and walking through the house with a skewer to investigate. The next morning I realized the place that 'skewer' (like for the barbeque grill) would have likely have wound up was through my own chest or neck. Thus, the spray, thinking it would give me time to kick and run.

But I don't like the idea of being completely defenseless .

At least to have an idea of strategy.

Yes! Having thought out what to do in advance, in the event of a crisis, helps enormously, I've noticed.

edit on 2/1/2016 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Hence why I choose to teach people in person how to defend against knife/gun attacks instead of coaching them online.

I'm a black belt in Krav Maga and I teach anyone who asks me to learn, for free, but only in person.
edit on 1-2-2016 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

This is why people arguing about the police use of force scenarios in the past few years is stupid. And adding racial narratives (under the guise of their own racist perspectives) is double stupid.

If you've never been in a combat situation then you have some nerve to have an opinion

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

On point with the skewer. I mean in the moment you do what is necessary if your in danger but your right. "Deadly weapons" unless you are trained in them including firearms (maybe spread of shotgun being the exception) can easily be used against you.

Handguns take a considerable amount of training and constant reinforcement to be useful in a real situation with adranialine. Especially little concealed carry guns.

An alarm system is probably your best home defence with some wood closet doors that lock on the inside.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

Hence why I choose to teach people in person how to defend against knife/gun attacks instead of coaching them online.

I'm a black belt in Krav Maga and I teach anyone who asks me to learn, for free, but only in person.

Probably the best form for self defence I have ever seen. Take out the fluff. Although Kali and escrima are pretty good too. I would hate to be in a knife fight in the Philippines.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join