It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quit offering idiotic and potentially criminal self defense advice

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: darkwarrior

There's also something to be said about going 0-100 on a dime.

I've been in plenty of combat situations and can still keep a cool head without blowing someone's brains out unless I absolutely need to.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Lol you'd hate to be in a fight against me too. If you attack me with a knife, your arms are getting broken; I'd like to see someone stab me with broken arms.

Guns are a different story but I'm confident if it was life or death I could disarm them without taking one in the head, although I'd be prepared to take a bullet or two elsewhere.

A lot of it is also mental preparation, and also getting into the mind of your opponent.
edit on 1-2-2016 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

Sure. I can agree. I competed for 15 years in judo, wrestling, and sambo.

Usually could dismantle people with their magical death strikes just because I actually completed even if it was a sport. I have competed in Moscow where I am pretty sure the intentions were to win at any cost.

However I have been to seminars with Israeli black belts in San Francisco that were not able to stop escrima masters knife skills. They were there to learn and go back to Israel with the forms. Maybe you could but the soft style of fighting makes it a lot harder than people stabbing and slashing.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I meant no disrespect toward any other martial artists.

I'd be a total idiot to say that I could defeat anyone who is as skilled, or more so than myself, in hand to hand combat.

I've been offered the chance to compete internationally, and be trained by former champions in boxing here in my own country but I turned it down.

For me martial arts are meant to strengthen my own resolve, and I've never been one for competitions. Even as a child I never felt the need to compete against others, even though I played almost every competitive sport growing up.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

The idiot is the one who takes the advice.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

An alarm system is probably your best home defence with some wood closet doors that lock on the inside.

Closet doors that lock on the inside. Now that is something I can easily do. Like a 'panic room' for me and the dogs.
I have a 'tornado closet' containing radio, flashlights, pillows and dog leashes.

I can easily have locks installed. Thanks for the suggestion!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
I have a 'tornado closet' containing radio, flashlights, pillows and dog leashes.

My 'tornado closet' also has leashes.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Bad boy! Now sit! Lol

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

My 'tornado closet' also has leashes.

...... and enough supplies to throw together a gourmet snack in case you get peck-ish?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Yeah, but the ball gag makes eating rather difficult.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I wasn't saying competing is the end all be all just criticizing some of the mcdojo forms that don't actually work. Krav certainly is an actual combat proven MA

I was only pointing out that for me competing tested my resolve, the ability for a technique to work when someone else is attacking, and how bodies move and react when they aren't just uki or training dummies. Even though my main three forms are sports I was saying. Judo were designed as sports. Sambo has both sides. It also trains you to not dump all your adrenaline. I think krav teaches that as well.

Honestly I have rarely had to street fight. I don't feel the need to be a tough guy and the few times I have it was control and leave situations during an assault. Otherwise confidence and the ability to not let words bother you can control a great deal.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

If anybody thinks that they can fully anticipate the parameters of an assault against them or others, they are mistaken.

Therefore, you want the most effective and portable means of self defense, a firearm. End of story.

The rest of any conversation of the like must rely on some erroneous presumption of lawfulness on the part of the criminal or supernatural adeptness of the victim.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
If anybody thinks that they can fully anticipate the parameters of an assault against them or others, they are mistaken.

Which is succinctly summarized in the words of one Mr. Michael Tyson:

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

The only battle you're guaranteed to win is the battle you don't have. Deescalation and escaping are 2 of the major points most self defense programs (and real martial arts) teach. And this is especially true if you have dependents and other responsibilities.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

What if you live in a country where you are literally not allowed to be armed ? such as my country.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Which is succinctly summarized in the words of one Mr. Michael Tyson

One of the best mysteries solver of our time too

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

What if you live in a country where you are literally not allowed to be armed ? such as my country.

Change your laws.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
One of the best mysteries solver of our time too

He certainly was.

Michael Spinks had a plan and I can guarantee his plan was not to get flat blasted a minute thirty into the fight.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I'll get right on that, do you have the prime ministers number by any chance ? I seem to have lost it..

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

You asked, the other option is to allow your instinct to survive to overcome your adherence to statute.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join