It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quit offering idiotic and potentially criminal self defense advice

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I don't believe in tests because I believe in neither registration nor regulation.

Yes, anyone who actually obtains a firearm should know how to use it but, unrestricted gun ownership and possession is in and of itself a societal defense strategy.

If criminals are to be dissuaded from violent crime, they must believe that anyone will kill them.

The jumpy little old lady and pretty coed walking home at night should scare them into crossing the street, maybe even into getting a job.
edit on 1-2-2016 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Well we disagree. The number of accidental deaths in the US is pretty astounding.

At some point you need to wonder if an untrained firearm holder is more dangerous to the public than he is a deterrent. Particularly if you carry in dense populations.

You could get around tests with mandatory civil service or training. There is nothing well trained about an ignorant firearms user.

It's OK that we disagree though that's just part of life. You may be right.

I just know from expireince with marksmanship handguns are all different and all require training whether self taught or through courses to be able to use at all.

There was recently a robberry in Houston where the police and robberrs fired nearly 50 rounds at close range and nobody was hit. Luckily it wasn't in a populated area.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

So now you are worrying about accidental deaths?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Thank you, that is what I meant..I just didn't say it very eloquently lol.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Always did. Which include being shot by accident by someone firing into a crowd with good intentions.

Let me get this strait you don't recognize the well trained part of the second.

You don't think training and being able to shoot the gun is necessary. You think it's a deterrent enough if everybody has guns.

If everybody carries guns in public their will not be more accidental deaths.

You shouldn't need a ccl.

Bad guys rarely sneak up on you.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

This is why registration and regulation aren't options.

Newspaper sparks outrage for publishing names, addresses of gun permit holders

And yes, the threat of retaliation by law abiding citizens is the best we can do.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

There are several million ccl holders in the states, the number of all accidental deaths is way less than 1000, I believe it was 505. This includes all accidental firearms deaths even children finding the gun and shooting someone. statistically speaking accidental death by firearms are not a problem.

I am not saying people shouldn't get training and be proficient with there self defense weapon of choice, I just don't believe in more laws concerning firearms. I have 23 years of being a US Infantry Soldier for my training and I still train at least every week.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Can they do that with your medical records?

I don't like registration on accessible databases either.

Certainly there is an option to prevent that. I can't look up lots of records.

I am talking more about training courses. Being available for low cost to the public or through civil service. Training for teachers or students who want to carry.

What is scarier to a criminal than knowing the people with guns are also trained to respond with them under pressure?

As aself defense teacher I always say having a gun isn't enough. You need to take it to the range and shoot it regularly. There is a chance the criminal is a better shot than you of you don't.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

If someone tries to hurt me or mine,I'm going to do whatever it
takes to stop that person.I can always hire a lawyer to handle any
legal problems.I refuse to be a victim!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

I am talking more about training courses. Being available for low cost to the public or through civil service. Training for teachers or students who want to carry.

What is scarier to a criminal than knowing the people with guns are also trained to respond with them under pressure?

As aself defense teacher I always say having a gun isn't enough. You need to take it to the range and shoot it regularly. There is a chance the criminal is a better shot than you of you don't.

Yes they can and I thank you for immediately making the connection. The ACA has required the collecting of digitized records from everybody. That should strike fear into our hearts.

I'm not sure that you are fathoming the gravity of that particular data breach.

Would you feel better to be known to all local criminals as belonging to either column A or column B? What utility is there in adding a column C?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockledr

There are several million ccl holders in the states, the number of all accidental deaths is way less than 1000, I believe it was 505. This includes all accidental firearms deaths even children finding the gun and shooting someone. statistically speaking accidental death by firearms are not a problem.

I am not saying people shouldn't get training and be proficient with there self defense weapon of choice, I just don't believe in more laws concerning firearms. I have 23 years of being a US Infantry Soldier for my training and I still train at least every week.

Thats all I am saying. That the discussion and availability of realistic firearm training needs to be talked about. If we are talking about more people carrying guns those numbers of accidents will go up.

I was stating a ccl does not mean you can shoot a gun well. I have a Texas ccl. I was surprised how easy the marksmanship portion was. The legal part was useful.

I have been in three gun races and it took a while for me to be able to be decent at that. Same with stress or elevated training shooting
My concern is if we start arming all students I'm crowded campuses do they have the skills to use the firearms.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Yes they can and I thank you for immediately making the connection. The ACA has required the collecting of digitized records from everybody. That should strike fear into our hearts.

Would you feel better to be known to all local criminals as belonging to either column A or column B?

Well I don't think the meth head gives a crap and they can use that info to wait until I leave and steal my guns so neither.

I get your point. I just don't see anything wrong with encouraging peoe to take courses making them available cheaply and having public service messages to get people to do it.

Hell 9 year olds know what ebt is from commercials. They could use that type of message for something positive.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

It may protect you from your parents when they try to dump you out of the WoW chair and get a haircut, but it's not doing sh$# for the average person. You're not the average person though, you watch Anime and know the moves. You know Aikido.

the best line I've read all day!

I have been in competition fencing for over 20 years and I can't hit an eye shot with any consistency. Bravo to you for telling it straight like it is. best defense is not being there when the attack happens.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Would you feel better to be known to all local criminals as belonging to either column A or column B?

Well I don't think the meth head gives a crap and they can use that info to wait until I leave and steal my guns so neither.

I get your point. I just don't see anything wrong with encouraging peoe to take courses making them available cheaply and having public service messages to get people to do it.

Hell 9 year olds know what ebt is from commercials. They could use that type of message for something positive.

I agree with training as long as it neither mandatory nor documented.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I agree with training as long as it neither mandatory nor documented.

Then we have reached somewhat of a compromise.

I get your point. I am an owner and have a ccl.

I also am very aware of how many dumb arses there are as well as people who honestly couldn't use their firearm in a real situation if they needed to. Especially against someone who doesn't value life.

I had no idea bullets sounded like a western movie until one went whizzing by my head from a dumb arse at an outdoor range. Luckily he was immediately booted but after that I became a training advocate.

I think courses in gun handling and cleaning and self defense that are promoted regularly would probably be just as effective as any mandatory laws. Especially if they are low cost or free (through teachers getting some kind of tax break).

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Agreed, the rest of my position regarding the who and how is open to argument.

The mere fact of legal permitless concealed firearms has an ataractic effect.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

my " ultimate " self defence tip "

when faced with an attacker

use your finger to gouge out your own eyeball - and pull sharply - this will esctract a sufficient lenght of optic nerve that you can swing your eyeball like a mace and beat your attacker to death with iit

disclaimer - the practical application of this advice may not follow the theoretical model precisely

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

People should do the intellectual, progressive thing and hide and or beg for your life.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I maintain that you use any bloody thing you can lay yout hands on and worry about the consequences in court if you are the accused for hurting the evil POS who tries to attack or rape you- including tearing out chunks of flesh with my teeth and gouging eyes out of sockets. Especially if there are children to defend.

I live in South Africa, the most violent society in the world and will fight to the last drop of blood against an attacker in any way i can.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
And bear in mind that many assailants/ rapists are Cowards. You don' t need to be Chuck Norris or Jackie Chan- often your obvious intent to fight back in any way+》especially in a brutal way may be enough to make somr attackers back off and seek a meeker target. Whether that target is gonna be You ( general you) is entirely up to You.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join