It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quit offering idiotic and potentially criminal self defense advice

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Honestly I don't hold any negative feelings towards you, if that's the impression I gave off I apologize.

Controlling your adrenaline is certainly something that is important for all martial artists to learn.

I've personally been in more street fights than I'd like to admit, but I'm not advocating that everyone should be like me.

This part goes out to the general population; When I write on here, I'm writing from personal experience. Of course there have been times when I've walked away from someone with a weapon, not every fight is worth dying for.

Last week I had to step in to protect one of my co-workers from getting stabbed or worse by a couple gang members.

He walked up and punched the guy in the face, and I calmed the situation down before any knives or guns could be brought into the fray.

I explained that he (my co-worker) was completely wasted and he had no idea what the hell he was doing.

The guy who got punched looked me square in the eyes and told me to F off or he'd pull out his weapon, I told him fine I'm not looking to escalate things more & we left.

That's a true story btw, so no I'm not advocating that everyone should go hardcore and fight in every situation.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

I disagree the most portable self defense I carry is myself. That takes training bit so does trying to accurately shoot a concealed carry handgun with adrenaline pumping. Not to mention the much higher degree of an accident occurring. Especially if you apply the categorical imperarive.

A school my wife worked at allowed concealed carry on campus. I think it's a time bomb waiting to happen. I would support it if there were at least monthly stress shooting training required. Far too many people think they can simply aim and shoot someone under stress with a tiny barrelled gun.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

I think if you read my recent post on this thread it will show that I do know how to walk away as well.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
S.A.L.T. Perfectly legal in most states in the US as for Europe I feel bad for you guys as it seems that the establishment does not want you all to be able to defend yourselves at all. They are conditioning you to be willing victims.
edit on 1-2-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
a reply to: threeeyesopen

You asked, the other option is to allow your instinct to survive to overcome your adherence to statute.

He just said he was a black belt in Krav mega. Probably a lot more useful than simply carying a gun and expecting that alone will save you.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Not sure if the karambit thing was aimed at me but seeing as I posted on it only yesterday, I figured it might be.

I've posted before numerous times about my experience over the past 30 years from working doors to competing, as my posts are searchable there's not much point going over it all again and I'm sure there are others with equally valid and extensive experience and differing opinions and I'm happy to hear them all. It just becomes a bit pointless when it turns into a pissing contest.

Anyway, anybody in London that wants to come and train with the team is welcome to and can find us at Lion's Pride in Croydon. It's a great gym with good people and some world renowned coaches.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1
I'm not going to give self defense advice but did you know that if you leave your headlights on all night it'll keep them from freezing over? Also, putting sliced jalapeno peppers over your eyes helps to get rid of "poofiness" (for people who have no common sense, don't do that). If you want more wonderful advice I'll be here all day.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
He just said he was a black belt in Krav mega. Probably a lot more useful than simply carying a gun and expecting that alone will save you.

Not everyone is able to practice martial arts effectively.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I appreciate your defending my position but please don't start a war of words over it, it's really not worth it.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Or fire a concealable handgun accurately.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

True, but one is much easier and more available to a larger percentage of the population and it is not Krav Maga.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Of course but here in the north, gang members are more likely to be carrying than you are.

Which is why I'm an advocate for an armed populace, I've seen first hand that gun control only leaves the good people defenceless for the most part.

Again I'm only recanting my own personal experiences.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Then we are completely on the same page.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Absolutely, and as person who cannot own a gun (unless I apply and wait for the long drawn out process) or carry a knife without going to jail, I have to find ways to defend myself appropriately should the need arise.
edit on 1-2-2016 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I have a ccl. The test was a joke. I can just renew my license. I shoot with officers in stress training courses. I rarely if ever cary I just want to be able to use a firearm realistically. I think it's dangerous to think under stress or in a populated area you can pull out a small pistol and fire it accurately under pressure. Sure if your 10 feet or less pretty good chance. If you can get to it in time or it hasn't been neutralized all together with your position and access to it.

But sorry I will stay out of your arguement. O just hate when people think it's the only or the best self defence.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

True, but one is much easier and more available to a larger percentage of the population and it is not Krav Maga.

I agree I just wish people would emphasize shooting is a skill and requires a good deal of constant practice with specific weapons. That way I am not worried about bubba Joe pointing his gun at me at the range while he figures out why its jammed. Or getting shot by rambo who thinks his pocket gun is going to shoot the bad guy across the room.

Guns have limits as well is all I am saying.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I understand what you mean, and I agree that firearms are dangerous, period.

It's always better to avoid pulling out your firearm unless it's necessary because all that does is escalate the problem to where you're both pointing guns at each other's head.

I just don't want you to feel the wrath for something that I started that's all. I started it and I can take it in return; if someone has a different opinion then we can discuss it like rational people.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

You asked, the other option is to allow your instinct to survive to overcome your adherence to statute.

Unless he is a criminal who is going to assassinate me unprovoked while I am not looking, firearms generally are more effective than limbs, however they may be decorated.

I never said I'm not trained. In fact, the combination of skill and experience typically afford a better chance at avoiding the necessity of violence, armed or not.

I don't understand how anyone who advocates self defense would dismiss the greatest equalizer in human history.

The important factor in legal concealed carry is that it has the primary effect of discouraging violence as well as the secondary effect of providing victims the best defense should an altercation arise.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Unless he is a criminal who is going to assassinate me unprovoked while I am not looking, firearms generally are more effective than limbs, however they may be decorated.

I never said I'm not trained. In fact, the combination of skill and experience typically afford a better chance at avoiding the necessity of violence, armed or not.

I don't understand how anyone who advocates self defense would dismiss the greatest equalizer in human history.

The important factor in legal concealed carry is that it has the primary effect of discouraging violence as well as the secondary effect of providing victims the best defense should an altercation arise.

You can see by my posts particularly right above this I am not saying it isn't useful its just unrealistic if you think simply having a gun is the answer. You can read how I feel about it above.

I am saying the ccl test is not enough for say my wife to be capable of shooting an attacker. Especially say with a little bersa .380.

A large portion of asaults are in fact where a criminal sneaks up on you. The range a concealed style handgun is accurate for most is very short. Just saying you need to be trained and many people I mean probably half of gun owners in the US are not trained in combat firearms tactics. Thats a shame. And more peolek should advocate that training so rambo doesn't hurt innocent bystanders.

I was literally nearly shot in a gun range in Texas by a guy pointing his gun in my direction trying to clear a jam.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

I understand what you mean, and I agree that firearms are dangerous, period.

It's always better to avoid pulling out your firearm unless it's necessary because all that does is escalate the problem to where you're both pointing guns at each other's head.

I just don't want you to feel the wrath for something that I started that's all. I started it and I can take it in return; if someone has a different opinion then we can discuss it like rational people.

You should never draw a weapon without intending to immediately use it, it isn't a negotiating tool.

Just wanted to clarify that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join