It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

Muhammad took pieces from other religions. For that we see Arianism, which was active in the era Mohammed lived. There were many tribes which believed in Arianism ( Arianism has same belief as Islam that Jesus is not a son of God and refused trinity ). we could easily say that Muhammed didn´t invent Islam as it was already at work in Arianism.

edit on 17-12-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No, it's creeping sharia obviously.
I assumed it was common knowledge that all the 3 Abrahamic religions worship the same god, was even taught as much in my primary school, a Church of England school.

YHWH is not Baal / Allah.

Differentiating is quite easy.
edit on 17-12-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog
I am sure we all heard this question multiple times... and not sure what you think, but prominent evangelical college (Wheaton College) has placed professor on administrative leave after she posted on Facebook that Muslims and Christians “worship the same God.”

Wheaton College, a prominent evangelical school in Illinois, has placed a professor on administrative leave after she posted on Facebook that Muslims and Christians “worship the same God.”

The official school statement Tuesday about associate professor of political science Larycia Hawkins’s suspension said Wheaton professors should “engage in and speak about public issues in ways that faithfully represent the College’s evangelical Statement of Faith.”

Following a protest and sit-in of about 100 people Wednesday afternoon on campus, President Philip Ryken and later Provost Stanton Jones said they would not be lifting the suspension. It wasn’t clear how long Hawkins was suspended for, but some of the student leaders who had been involved in talks with administrators said it was through the spring semester.

The school’s communications office on Wednesday declined comment to the Post.

Protesters chanted “Reinstate Doc Hawk,” “We love Wheaton!” and some evangelical women wore hijabs in solidarity.

In her Dec. 10 Facebook post, Hawkins was also wearing a hijab, explaining she planned to do so through the entire Christian season of Advent to show “human solidarity” with Muslims. She didn’t state why in her piece and did not return requests for comment to The Washington Post, but this fall has seen anti-Islam rhetoric rise sharply in the public square, including by GOP presidential candidates. Hundreds of people liked her post and more praised her intensely in comments....

Source: WP: Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God? College suspends professor who said yes.

For me its simple, as I don't believe in either, but isn't it in interest of religious to believe it is the same God?! What do you think??

Yes we do. Allah is God.

same prophets, same story, same Jesus.. Isa in arabic. same virgin birth. minus the words of muhammad. the Quran is pure Christianity.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Note: What you will find here, are the atheists who don't believe in ANY God, are the ones running in to tell you they are the same God. I always find that so odd. Beyond odd. Way. Beyond. Odd.

As for me? Pfft. I wouldn't touch this thread with a stick.

Merry Christmas Christians!

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The logic some of you are exercising tells me we have 4,000+ gods in America, one for each denomination. Polytheism funneled through a coffee straw.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: John333
the Quran is pure Christianity.

By that reference.. When in Jewish liturgy is used God as "Avinu Malkeinu," our Father, our King. In Christianity it also is used "Our father" in liturgy.
Where in Quran is God described as "father" ?... nowhere.

What about Love ?
God in OT and NT loves all the mankind in Quran Allah loves only those who worship him and accepts Mohammed´s teachings.

Now is Quran pure Christianity ?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I am sure we all heard this question multiple times... and not sure what you think, but prominent evangelical college (Wheaton College) has placed professor on administrative leave after she posted on Facebook that Muslims and Christians “worship the same God.”

Wheaton College, a prominent evangelical school in Illinois, has placed a professor on administrative leave after she posted on Facebook that Muslims and Christians “worship the same God.”

The official school statement Tuesday about associate professor of political science Larycia Hawkins’s suspension said Wheaton professors should “engage in and speak about public issues in ways that faithfully represent the College’s evangelical Statement of Faith.”

Following a protest and sit-in of about 100 people Wednesday afternoon on campus, President Philip Ryken and later Provost Stanton Jones said they would not be lifting the suspension. It wasn’t clear how long Hawkins was suspended for, but some of the student leaders who had been involved in talks with administrators said it was through the spring semester.

Protesters chanted “Reinstate Doc Hawk,” “We love Wheaton!” and some evangelical women wore hijabs in solidarity.

In her Dec. 10 Facebook post, Hawkins was also wearing a hijab, explaining she planned to do so through the entire Christian season of Advent to show “human solidarity” with Muslims. She didn’t state why in her piece and did not return requests for comment to The Washington Post, but this fall has seen anti-Islam rhetoric rise sharply in the public square, including by GOP presidential candidates. Hundreds of people liked her post and more praised her intensely in comments....

Source: WP: Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God? College suspends professor who said yes.

For me its simple, as I don't believe in either, but isn't it in interest of religious to believe it is the same God?! What do you think??

Yes we do. Allah is God.

same prophets, same story, same Jesus.. Isa in arabic. same virgin birth. minus the words of muhammad. the Quran is pure Christianity.

You are incorrect.

Jesus - Son of God (Matt. 3:17; John 10:30).
Isa - Allah is not a father and has no sons or daughters; to say so is shirk, the unpardonable sin (see Surah 19:88-92; 112:3).

Jesus - Eternal (John 8:58; John 17:5).
Isa - Created from dust, as Adam was (Surah 3:59).

Jesus - Co-equal, co-eternal with the Father, Holy Spirit (John 1:1-14; Col. 1:15-20; Phil. 2:5-11; Heb. 1:1-13).
Isa - Only a man, a prophet. It is shirk, the unpardonable sin, to ascribe deity to Jesus. Allah is not Triune (Surah 4:171; 5:73, 116).

Jesus - God (John 1:1; John 10:30).
Isa - Not God (Surah 5:17, 72-3, 75). Jesus was an apostle of Allah (Surah 4:171); a messenger only (Surah 5:75; 19:30).

Jesus - Greater than ANY man (Matt. 12:42).
Isa - Subservient to Muhammad, A great prophet; not as great as Muhammad. Jesus was a worshiper of Allah (Surah 3:51; 9:30).

Jesus - Savior of the world (Luke 2:11; John 4:42; Acts 5:31).
Isa - Prophet of Allah; human messenger.

Jesus - Died on the cross and was resurrected.
Isa - Did not die on the cross.

Isa - Subordinate to the Mahdi, inferiority of rank to the Mahdi. Isa's primary purpose will be to oversee the institution and the enforcement of the Islamic Shariah law all over the world. Isa will eliminate all other religions on the earth other than Islam. Isa will destroy Christianity.

Similarities between the biblical narratives of the end-times and the Islamic narratives do not end with the Isa / Mahdi antichrist / false prophet scenario.

Isa is pretty much exactly the opposite of Jesus Christ of the New T estimate.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: SuperFrog

So is this an example of PC run amok? Or is this religious persecution? I can't tell.
For reference, yes they are the same god. Islam and Christianity are just denominations of Judaism after all.

Actually, that part's backwards. The Prophet Adam was the first Muslim. We believe all of God's Prophets were Muslims (remember, a Muslim is simply one who submits to God). The Prophet that's mentioned the most in the Qur'an is the Prophet Musa/Moses. The 4 most revered Islamic Prophets are Musa/Moses, Dawood/David, Essa/Jesus, and Muhammad because they were all given Holy Books from God. And the Prophet Muhammad is simply the final messenger of Islam, not the creator or innovator of Islam.

Judaism is simply the religion of and for the Tribe of Judah. But as you know, the Tribe of Judah was only one of the 12 Tribes of Israel (aka, the "Israelites"). The other Israelites were not "Jews" nor were they "Jewish", though the Tribes of Benjamin & Levi would eventually be assimilated into the Tribe of Judah. This happened after the Tribe of Judah, led by Solomon's son Rehoboam, split from the Kingdom of Israel in the 900sBC and formed the Kingdom of Judea.

But how could prophets and their followers be "Jewish" if they weren't from the Tribe of Judah or if they existed before the tribe existed? Prophets like Noah, Enoch, Abraham, Isaac, and Ishmael existed long before the Israelites. Judaism even generally teaches that the "7 Laws of Noah" were meant for everyone except the Jews (as in, they were for the goyim/gentiles); meaning they don't even consider themselves bound by his teachings! How can he be a Jewish Prophet if he existed before the Semites even existed and Jews aren't bound by his teachings? (Semites are supposedly the descendants of one of his sons, Shem/Sem.)

So how could they be "Jewish", aka, members of the Tribe of Judah? Even the Prophet Yaqub/Jacob wasn't "Jewish", since the descendants of his 12 sons are the ones who would become known as the 12 Tribes of Israel. How could he be a member of one of his son's tribes? Especially when that son Judah wasn't even his successor; his son Joseph was his successor (look into the "Joes vs the Jews" if you're curious for more drama).

Anyway, Judaism didn't become a separate, established religion until after the Babylonian Exiles returned to Jerusalem in the 500s BC. The "Men of the Great Synagogue" brought new traditions, new scriptures/books, a new script, the Aramaic language, and many other innovations when they returned to Jerusalem (supposedly, they also attained the Kabbalah at this time). These new scriptures form the extra books in the TaNaKh and these new teachings & traditions form the "original Judaism". This is noteworthy because the God-following descendants of the other Israelite Tribes still only followed the Torah. (Study things from the Samaritans's point of view to get an even better understanding of it)

As For The OP: Yes, the God of Adam & Abraham is the same God of Adam & Abraham lol. However, there are several passages in the Old Testament that don't match Allah, as we believe their scriptures were altered. Two examples are: 1. When Dawood/David calls on God to help him and God comes down from Heaven, riding a cherub, with a bow & arrow & lightning bolts (Psalms 18); and 2. when the Prophet Jacob supposedly wrestles with God (Genesis 33:22-32). We believe that God is not a humanoid and that nothing can oppose Him. So it would be impossible for a mere human to "wrestle" Him, and He would only need to say "Be!" for David's enemies to be obliterated in that instance.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka

the Quran is pure Christianity.

By that reference.. When in Jewish liturgy is used God as "Avinu Malkeinu," our Father, our King. In Christianity it also is used "Our father" in liturgy.

What about Love ?
God in OT and NT loves all the mankind in Quran Allah loves only those who worship him and accepts Mohammed´s teachings.

u should read the Quran. u will be amazed. the Quran is more about Jesus than Muhammad. from the birth of Jesus to his crucifiction is there in the Quran. Jesus was born to Allah and Mary/ a virgin birth. entertain yourself with Surah 19 of the Quran. the announcement of Christ, the warning within.

sure there are some differences, the Quran contains some parts of the story of Christ that are not included in the Christian bible. but as you read it from cover to cover, you will find word for word for word Christian passages. this is assuming u have also read the christian bible from cover to cover.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Yes we do. Allah is God.

The Quran is NO Christianity.

Do you understand what Christianity is? The Salvation of Jesus Christ, the son of god sacrificed for the sins of man and the only way to heaven. The Quran completely and utterly disputes this.

Question, are you a Christian? If so, you would know this.
edit on 17-12-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: John333

You didn´t reply.. as long as there is no reply to original question i take that you can´t proof me wrong.. so Questions still exists

What about Love ?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

One thing that jumps out at me (and then I've got to get off this thread I refuse to do this to myself when I have a wonderful day planned)

But ONE of things that jumps out at me, is the Christian God had a son. His name was Jesus.

Insofar as I am aware, Allah does not have a son. That's a big difference in itself I would say. : )

AS for the people who don't believe in either Allah or God, make a thread about who wears the prettiest clothes, the tooth fairy or Cinderella's fairy Godmother. : )
It's all the same to you, am I right?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Note: What you will find here, are the atheists who don't believe in ANY God, are the ones running in to tell you they are the same God. I always find that so odd. Beyond odd. Way. Beyond. Odd.

As for me? Pfft. I wouldn't touch this thread with a stick.

Merry Christmas Christians!

It would seem you already have, dear lady, and took a moment to throw a stone at atheists while you were at it.

On topic: Honestly, who knows which root god or gods these three worship. They really don't know themselves. They worship a name, not an actual deity.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Yes we do. Allah is God.

The Quran is NO Christianity.

Do you understand what Christianity is? The Salvation of Jesus Christ, the son of god sacrificed for the sins of man and the only way to heaven. The Quran completely and utterly disputes this.

Question, are you a Christian? If so, you would know this.

well yes i was born to a roman catholic family, baptised and confirmed. i studied scriptures my entire life to date. devoted since i was a child. a self decided attribution around 7-8 yrs old. now, im 33. ive studied everything. all religions scriptures, gnosticisim, ancient cultures everything. and am completely certain, it is all the same God. a perfect picture is shown to me of the story of the cultures. of these religions including the reason for their differences. there are no contradictions in my understanding across scripture. what i say will be universally acceptable. nor even the pope would be able to disagree.

its the same Christ. read the Quran. there's nothing wrong with reading a book. i assure you many gaps will be filled in if you do. The God of Christ is Allah. and Allah is the same God of Christians. we are brothers. interpretation and misinterpretation and mis-application are the root cause of differences.
edit on 17-12-2015 by John333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

This is some interesting theology you bring forth, but what I meant with what I said is that Islam and Christianity are offshoots of Judaism historically. Christianity began as an offshoot of Judaism in that Christians believe that Jesus fulfills the prophecies of David in being the Chosen One of Jewish tradition. Then Islam is an offshoot of Christianity (and thus a further offshoot of Judaism) in that they believe in Jesus, but feel that another prophet (Mohammad) came to Earth after Jesus to further spread God's message. I am of course speaking historically here and not so much religiously. I am aware of how the beliefs differ between the different religions, but that is something you get between different denominations.
edit on 17-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Very good points !
Materialism could be considered as religion as well. I guess they have to believe in something too.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

It would seem you already have, dear lady, and took a moment to throw a stone at atheists while you were at it.

I did! FINALLY. Didn't I?

Good for me! Armed and Dangerous! WOOT!

Many Muslims will say they are the same; while many Christians will say they are not, so I guess it depends on who you ask. And as for the atheists, It boggles the mind why they give a rat's derriere................

edit on 12/17/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Christians worship a little Jewish man nailed to a piece of wood.

Jews handed that "little man" over to the Romans to be nailed.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Dear John, i find your post amusing. There is no need to state any superiority towards others. When you say all you have studied and you claim to be studied everything and in that age 33. I find that very amusing.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka

You didn´t reply.. as long as there is no reply to original question i take that you can´t proof me wrong.. so Questions still exists

What about Love ?

well that perspective is based on muhammadian islam. there are different types of islam. some muslims do recognize Jesus as more than a mere Prophet but the King of all the prophets and are brothers with christians. i know some of them personally. through ritual, it has been made to swear your belief that muhammad was Allah's messenger. what can i say. the people wanted their own prophet. but Jesus was sent for the world. it's there in the Quran man. believe it or not. lets just say alot of muslims are guilty of not read their Quran themselves asa are alot of Christians guilty of having not read the bible. thus they take instruction instead of seek and pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit to be with them in their studies and purify their heart to suit and show initiation.how many are really doing that?

in the end, t o be a muslim, all you really need to be is a believer in the one God. thus, if a muslim asks you if you are a muslim, you can say yes, as long as you believe in the one God. indeed he needs no helper, but he assigns man helpers on earth. For Allah is the all knowing, all powerful. Allah is just another word for God. just like Isa is another word for Jesus. translation issues. not a true difference of ideology.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join