It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I am sure we all heard this question multiple times... and not sure what you think, but prominent evangelical college (Wheaton College) has placed professor on administrative leave after she posted on Facebook that Muslims and Christians “worship the same God.”

Wheaton College, a prominent evangelical school in Illinois, has placed a professor on administrative leave after she posted on Facebook that Muslims and Christians “worship the same God.”

The official school statement Tuesday about associate professor of political science Larycia Hawkins’s suspension said Wheaton professors should “engage in and speak about public issues in ways that faithfully represent the College’s evangelical Statement of Faith.”

Following a protest and sit-in of about 100 people Wednesday afternoon on campus, President Philip Ryken and later Provost Stanton Jones said they would not be lifting the suspension. It wasn’t clear how long Hawkins was suspended for, but some of the student leaders who had been involved in talks with administrators said it was through the spring semester.

The school’s communications office on Wednesday declined comment to the Post.

Protesters chanted “Reinstate Doc Hawk,” “We love Wheaton!” and some evangelical women wore hijabs in solidarity.

In her Dec. 10 Facebook post, Hawkins was also wearing a hijab, explaining she planned to do so through the entire Christian season of Advent to show “human solidarity” with Muslims. She didn’t state why in her piece and did not return requests for comment to The Washington Post, but this fall has seen anti-Islam rhetoric rise sharply in the public square, including by GOP presidential candidates. Hundreds of people liked her post and more praised her intensely in comments....

Source: WP: Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God? College suspends professor who said yes.

For me its simple, as I don't believe in either, but isn't it in interest of religious to believe it is the same God?! What do you think??

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The arrogance of the west is their traditional christian ethos holds that there is but one true god, the god of christianity. Ergo, all other religions are false and worship false gods, i.e., the devil.

Most of the actions of the western paradigm against other nations are justifiable this way.

After all, they are devil worshippers…

Praise the lord and pass the ammunition.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
well i'm with eric von daniken on this ,the god that all talk of are a alien/space entity from the stars
but each tribe has tainted the story of our space visitor into many names and corrupted the message even going to war because you do not believe in their god ,which in reality is one and the same...

humans are so not the full ticket who the hell would chop down a tree and replace it with a lampost/streetlight and claim to be intelligent when you could just put a light on a tree and help the planet

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Christians worship a little Jewish man nailed to a piece of wood.
Muslims worship an all-encompassing deity but also make allotments for worshipping a big stone in Mecca

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

So is this an example of PC run amok? Or is this religious persecution? I can't tell.

For reference, yes they are the same god. Islam and Christianity are just denominations of Judaism after all.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No, it's creeping sharia obviously.
I assumed it was common knowledge that all the 3 Abrahamic religions worship the same god, was even taught as much in my primary school, a Church of England school.
edit on 17/12/2015 by Learningman because: spelling

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

It's politically incorrect to say that Muslims and Christians worship the same God. It offends Christians and you might lose your job or be called a name.

Political Correctness gone WILD!

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Islam,Christianity, and the Jewish faith all started out with the same roots and their holy books overlap in a few ways.

I would say yes even if they don't acknowledge it

I am not a religious person, just a outsider looking in.

edit on 17-12-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No, it's creeping sharia obviously.
I assumed it was common knowledge that all the 3 Abrahamic religions worship the same god, was even taught as much in my primary school, a Church of England school.

Took a course in college on all three faiths of Abraham. You're lucky to get such an interesting subject in primary school.

Roman Catholic Sunday school taught a little bit about Judaism and Islam, and that they're similar to all the denominations of Christians. So even the Church admits to the three religions being the same.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
I would say yes even if they don't acknowledge it

Islam does acknowledge Christianity, Abraham, Jesus, etc. They have bit different names in Islam, but they are there.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

@misterhistory - similarly took university course on religion topic and yes, all Abrahamic religions should talk about the same God. That was made clear in text book, iirc.
edit on 17-12-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

No, they do not.

www.ciu.edu...

Allah is a generic term for the highest god of the people, and in Arabia it was in use for centuries before Muhammad came on the scene. Apparently it was one of the 360 gods worshipped in the ka’aba in Mecca, and was the chief god for the Quraysh tribe, which was the tribe Muhammad belonged to. In the pre-Islamic time, Allah had three daughters, Al-At, Al-Uzza, and Al-Manat. In Muhammad’s campaign against polytheism he chose Allah as the one true God and rejected the notion that Allah could have any daughters or sons. The Allah from the Qur’an, however, is very different from the Yahweh of the Bible.

Allah is a distant, remote being who reveals his will but not himself. It is impossible to know him in a personal way. In his absolute oneness there is unity but not trinity, and because of this lack of relationship, love is not emphasized. Indeed, for the Muslim, Allah cannot have any associates. In fact, to claim that Jesus is God’s son is the greatest of all sins in Islam and is known as “shirk.” Allah is also an arbitrary God and is said to deceive people, especially unbelievers. In the end, even for the devout Muslim there is no guarantee of salvation because in his arbitrariness Allah may reject the believer’s good works and send him to hell. Thus, even if one’s good works outweighed his bad works salvation is ultimately up to the Will of Allah, which is arbitrary at best.

When we look at Yahweh, however, who is the God of the Bible, we see a different kind of deity. First of all, the name “Yahweh” comes from the time that God appeared to Moses in the burning bush. At that time God told Moses to call him “I am that I am,” or in Hebrew, “Yahweh.” It is significant that Jesus referred to himself as the “I am” in John 8:58. The Jews realized that Jesus was referring to himself as God and took up stones to stone him for what they believed was blasphemy. This link between Jesus in the New Testament and the burning bush in the Old Testament demonstrates the unity of the one God manifested to both the Jews and the Christians. This cannot be said of the Muslim God because Muslims reject the deity of Jesus and therefore reject much of what the New Testament says about Jesus. We also find that the Bible portrays Yahweh in contrast to Allah. For example, Allah is considered to be too holy to have personal relationships with man, but Yahweh is often described as a loving God interested in our personal struggles. Yahweh is also depicted as unchanging and One who assures the salvation of the faithful. Finally, because there is unity in the Trinity with the one God also being three persons, God can be described as the Father of Jesus.

After comparing the Allah of the Qur’an and the Yahweh of the Bible, it should be apparent that they could not be referring to the same God. Either the Muslim Allah is the true God or the Christian Yahweh is the true God, or neither is true. As the Law of non-Contradiction teaches, they both cannot be true. One thing should be sure, though, the God of Muhammad cannot be the Father of Jesus

carm.org...

No, the God of Islam is not the same as the God of Christianity. In Christianity God is a Trinity, but in Islam God is not a Trinity. It is not possible to have God be a Trinity and also not a Trinity at the same time. Furthermore, because Islam denies the Trinity (that there is one God who is comprised of three distinct persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), it means that Jesus is not the incarnation of the second person of the Trinity.

Quran, 5:73 (Yusuf Ali), “They do blaspheme who say: Allah is one of three in a Trinity: for there is no god except One Allah. If they desist not from their word (of blasphemy), verily a grievous penalty will befall the blasphemers among them.”

So it is clear that the Quran clearly denies one of the essential Christian doctrines about God’s nature. The God of Islam and the God of Christianity are not the same.

Also, in Islam Jesus is not God in flesh (Surah 4:172, 5:73, 9:30) where in Christianity He is (John 1:1, 14, Col. 2:9). In Christianity Jesus was crucified, but in Islam He was not (Surah 4:158). This is another irreconcilable difference between Islam and Christianity regarding God and who Christ is. In addition, Islam says that the Helper (paraclete in Greek) is Muhammed where the Bible says that the Helper is the Holy Spirit (John 14:26). So, the God of Islam and the God of Christianity are not the same.

edit on 17-12-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Religion is just bs anyway , better off without a few stupid books , ruining the world .
And it should be banned from the national curriculum, don't suppose knowing who Jesus is when the bills are coming through the door helps .people who are religious are just like kids and should just grow up !
It's just an excuse to have someone wipe there Arse when they've #ed up !
After all is forgiven! Right !

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
God, whatever name it goes by, can go to whatever imaginary hell it has created.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I too took a collage class on the three Faith's it was very interesting it dug into Hindu and Buddhism aswell. World mythology was another coarse I took. So many cultures from so far away share the same stories with different names. I was fascinated by the overlap of flood myths.

The black stone at the Kaaba in Mecca is highly interesting as well, to bad I'll never get to see it with my own eyes....

edit on 17-12-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Who was that world champion boxer? Was it Mohammed Ali? Or was it Cassius Clay?

How bout that famous musician? Was it Robert Zimmerman? Or Bob Dylan?

That one actress? Was it Norma Jean Baker, or Marilyn Monroe?

Two terms, for one object. They have the same essence, no matter what you call them.

Moses didnt believe in a Trinity....but Billy Graham does. Are they worshipping the same God? Of course they are.

Source: Francis J. Beckwith

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This is a question that can't really be answered, because all sides have an argument for yes or no, or "its all fairy tales".

For me, yes, we do. But, I take a very different approach to Divinity than most Christians, and I couldn't be happier! Especially when I see "good Christians" forgetting that Jesus- you know, who they worship, told us to love and care for our friends and enemies. Not "only those that you feel identity with your set beliefs".

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
No they don´t.

First of all, the place where Muhammad lived had many pagan beliefs, every tribe had their own Gods and semigods. Quraysh tribe where Muhammad was born into had a God named "Allah" ( comes from words Al-ilah ) and he was a head god of many semi Gods ( about 360 of them ) . And Mecca was a place where people worshipped many different Gods alongside Al-ilah for example 3 daughters of Allah was worshipped among others.

When we see in 10 commandments there can be only one God and think about how the life was in Mecca and who they worshipped we can definately see that we have very different pedestal when it comes to God.

Muhammad wanted his God to be the only God , La-ilaha illa-Llahu means " There is only one God and he points out that it is the God you already know ".. you know what God he is preferring to.. then we have to see what was his God in pre-islamic World and put that God in right context . We know Allah was the head of other Gods, Allah ( Al-ilah ) was known before Muhammed and word Ilah was used when talking about all different Gods in the area no matter what gods name was.

Would you say that God of Judaism has the same God as Islam has when you know that Judaism denies all the semi Gods but Allah was a head God of all the semi Gods in pre-islamic Arabia.
When Christianity bases in same belief of the old testament God not the God of Arabia.. you should have an answer.

edit on 17-12-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Where did you get that Muslims believe in some semi-gods???

Here is verse from quran regarding Jesus and One God:

[4:172] O People of the Book, exceed not the limits in your religion, and say not of Allah anything but the truth. Verily, the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, was only a Messenger of Allah and a fulfilment of His word which He sent down to Mary, and a mercy from Him. So believe in Allah and His Messengers, and say not ‘They are three.’ Desist, it will be better for you. Verily, Allah is the only One God. Far is it from His Holiness that He should have a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth. And sufficient is Allah as a Guardian.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
here's just one difference;
islam believes allah has no son
Christianity believes Jesus is the Son of God.

they might sound like an arcane theological point but believe me, for those of us who take this seriously, this is a deal-breaker.

www.answering-christian-claims.com...
***They say: "Allah hath begotten a son!" - Glory be to Him! He is self-sufficient! His are all things in the heavens and on earth! No warrant have ye for this! say ye about Allah what ye know not? (Quran 10:68)

It is not befitting to (the majesty of) Allah that He should beget a son. Glory be to Him! when He determines a matter, He only says to it, "Be", and it is. (Quran 19:35) ***

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes on Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." (Jn 3:16)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
If I remember correctly, Muslims worship the God of Abraham. Christians worship the God or Abraham also. Seems to be the same to me. As far as the trinity, not all Christians believe in it. The same as not all Christians worship Jesus. I cannot remember the scripture right now, but in it, Jesus went into the garden to pray to his father in heaven. If he was God, then he wouldn't have been able to do this.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join