It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina school officer caught on video beating down student in arrest

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
From my understanding she didint want to get off her phone,Or stop using her phone.
i havent seen anywhere posted that she was disturbing the class,

You ever go to a movie where they announce all phones should be turned off so as not to disrupt? Using a cell phone is a disruption/disturbance in a setting like that where people are trying to focus on something else. Is there a classroom anywhere where students are allowed to use their phone during class? How many times do you ask for compliance before demanding it in a most strenuous fashion?

This lack of control and absence of discipline is a big reason public schools are going downhill fast. Throwing more money at it is only going to make for more expensive failures. Which is exactly what we'll do. The sad thing is, the good kids who are there to learn are the ones who suffer. The 'cell phone queen' is a poor victim and no one gives a squat for the kids in the class who are trying to advance academically.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Apparently South Carolina allows for Corporal Punishment

statelaws.findlaw.com...

Corporal punishment refers to physical discipline, which in the school context, generally means paddling or spanking. The majority of states have banned corporal punishment in public schools. However, the Palmetto State still permits school boards to allow for corporal punishment where it is deemed just and proper. Here are the basics of corporal punishment in public schools laws in South Carolina. - See more at: statelaws.findlaw.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

They may allow it, but in today's lawsuit-happy world, if I were a teacher, I would not use it.

I think it is time to bring back the old-style Reform schools.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

And now all those kids trying to advance just saw submit to cops or else. She did deserve a punishment, just not from the cops. This was a school issue not a criminal one. Being disrespectful is not illegal and we don't wanr to change that.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

The cop is part of the school staff. He gets involved when the teachers can't handle the situation. Submitting in this case meant leave the classroom. Yes, if that's the request, you should 'submit' and they're all well served to learn it.

Or else.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
so they fired his ass

"The South Carolina sheriff's deputy who assaulted a teen girl in a classroom has been fired, two days after footage of the attack exploded into a national controversy, his former boss announced Wednesday.

Richland County Senior Deputy Ben Fields "did not follow proper procedure" in his violent handling of the Spring Valley High School student, Sheriff Leon Lott said at a noon press conference.

"The maneuver that he used was not based on the training or acceptable...Deputy Ben Fields did wrong this past Monday, so we're taking that responsibility for that."

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

And now all those kids trying to advance just saw submit to cops or else. She did deserve a punishment, just not from the cops. This was a school issue not a criminal one. Being disrespectful is not illegal and we don't wanr to change that.

This is factually not true; in South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers are deployed to schools to help in school issue’s. This is true irrespective of what this officer did in this case. He was supposed to be there and he was supposed to help deal with this young lady.

The question is whether he did nor did not deal with her in accordance with his approved training and procedures.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Maybe they should have just called the recalcitrant girls mother or father, who are likely worst than she is, since to raise such a stupid girl to be so stubbornly rebellious doesn’t bode well for their parenting skills.

Anyway...What should the cop have done? Beyond messing up the classroom decorum and waiting for the parents to arrive….

First try to talk some sense into her

Then

I would have called for other officers if she didn’t listen.

Then asked the principle whether it was alright to physically grab the girl and try to remover her if I decided to do that.

Or he could have called his boss

Then the guy might have been castigated for not being able to deal with this problem

The guy tried to just pick this big ass girl up and she fought back. Sure it looks bad but once he decided to physically remover her its no way that could look anything but bad if she fights back as she did.

Indeed all of the blame should not be on the officer, imo.

Like I posted earlier in these schools PARENTS ALL THE TIME assault the children much worst than this

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

So just strong arm the kids? Great way to build a positive relationship. Cops are there to deal with criminal things going on, no one has explained what was criminal about what she was doing.
Not listening to a cop is not against the law.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Giving a person a pass for spending class on a phone is incredible. So much for school. Hopefully she will drop out and get food stamps and money from Uncle Sam or the state. Looks as though many being interviewed on the news, leaders and commentators, seem to be OK with her actions in school.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

The South Carolina deputy who slammed a disruptive student on the floor and tossed her several feet has been fired. Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott suspended Deputy Ben Fields without pay, and then fired him Wednesday. Fields violated police regulations when he threw the girl, the sheriff said. Richland County has 87 school resource officers, Lott said, and the "actions by Deputy Fields was not typical of the job I expect them to do. " Fields did wrong and was fired for his actions," Lott said.

There you have it, from the horses authoritative mouth. The cop acted wrongly. He did not follow procedures, and he has lost his job. Of course the student has to carry blame for the escalation, and should equally be either suspended and/or expelled from that school.

I have a very big slice of humble pie here for all those morons who defended the cop's actions.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine
Unless this kid is 18, which is possible I suppose since she is a senior, this guy should be charged with assault of a minor. Plain and simple. An adult cannot put their hands on a kid in an aggressive manner anymore. The only exception being self defense, and this kid was obviously making no move or physical threat to that officer.

Sure, I'm sure the kid might be a punk or bad/disruptive student, but the cops handling of the situation is absolutely uncalled for.

Shame.

schools are not allowed to paddle a student,nor any type of corporal punishment but allows this?...unbelievable!

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Who is giving her a pass? Me and plenty others had said she shouldn't have been doing what she was doing but are appalled that it lead to the actions taken by the officer. The officer is a grown man, the other is a high school kid, shocker she is being rebellious!

Giving the cop a pass because of her being on the phone in class is incredible to me.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Not listening to a cop is not against the law.

Wrong. It's called failure to obey a lawful order.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
I have a very big slice of humble pie here for all those morons who defended the cop's actions.

I have a big chunk of something else for all the spineless twits who cower in the face of public pressure.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

What lawful order? She has to have commited,or suspected,a crime for a cop to be able to tell you what to do.
So again what crime was commited?
Cop was fired so what exactly did he do right btw?

edit on thWed, 28 Oct 2015 12:38:34 -0500America/Chicago1020153480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

edit on thWed, 28 Oct 2015 12:39:54 -0500America/Chicago1020155480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Listen to spokespeople, like the mayor. Sure, I believe the cop shouldn't even be involved and was overboard.

I find it interesting some people even think her using a phone for so long in class is acceptable or at least not disruptive.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
There you have it, from the horses authoritative mouth. The cop acted wrongly. He did not follow procedures, and he has lost his job. Of course the student has to carry blame for the escalation, and should equally be either suspended and/or expelled from that school.

You do realize that they will likely just call these actions pandering to the mob, right? It will be about avoiding a protest rather than righting a wrong.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Again I dont see anyone saying that. I see people implying it but no one saying she wasn't in the wrong for doing what she was doing. We can move past that though and say the cop was more in the wrong. That isn't saying she was guilt free, just that the actions of the cop was beyond overboard.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

What lawful order? She has to have commited,or suspected,a crime for a cop to be able to tell you what to do.

100% wrong. I don't know where you learned that, but following that advice could lead you into a world of hurt if you employ it at the wrong time.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join