It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina school officer caught on video beating down student in arrest

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

a reply to: mOjOm

I truth, those two people will more than likely have their noses buried brain deep in their phones when the SHTF. These children are not to be lauded as examples of good behavior, as they are just the opposite.

TheBorg

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBorg

Well, at least the one was bad behavior. The other one who spoke up didn't do anything wrong. Certainly nothing to be arrested for. She just freaked out about having to watch her classmate get tossed around by police. So you're half right.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Allowing students to run free and do as they please, disrupt classes as they choose, and just be general douches just because they can be is just one more sign of the decline of this grand American Experiment.

Completely disagree, I believe that is what makes us American and different than everyone else. Because we can...

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: subfab
a reply to: symphonyofblase

it's par for the course.
the girl and her family will hold a press conference, the news outlets will sensationalize the situation to sell ad time and get web site hits. lawyers will speak to how traumatized their client is. it happens time and time again.

Ah, so that was a totally baseless and unfounded comment, without any merit whatsoever.

Thats what I thought.

Edit - Her lawyer isn't responding to media.
edit on 291015 by symphonyofblase because: Edited

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Aaaand, unsurprisingly:

Ben Fields, South Carolina Deputy, Fired Over Student Arrest

“He picked a student up, and he threw the student across the room; that is not a proper technique,” Sheriff Leon Lott of Richland County said at a news conference

"Deputy Ben Fields did wrong this past Monday, so we’re taking responsibility for that.”

he described the decision to fire the deputy as one that “was very evident.”

department officials conducted an internal review that, according to the sheriff, found that Deputy Fields had used a maneuver that violated the agency’s training and procedural standards

So I just have a few questions for every single person that has been defending fields' behaviour.
1. Do you still think his actions were justified?
2. If yes, then why? He was dismissed for violating procedure so what makes you think your decision should overrule a sheriff and other department officials?

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

So I just have a few questions for every single person that has been defending fields' behaviour.
1. Do you still think his actions were justified?
2. If yes, then why? He was dismissed for violating procedure so what makes you think your decision should overrule a sheriff and other department officials?

Speaking for myself...I didn't know local procedures so had no way of knowing whether he violated same. I certainly expect him to follow the rules.

The problem was how he used force, but I don't object the use of force in principle / in this instance.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: Spider879

That's right and unfortunately the reflected numbers are probably correct. In the whole class you have about 2 fighters. 2 people using their own mind rather than letting some authority use it for them. Which means if fit hits the shan you better watch your butt, because most likely nobody else is going to watch it for ya.

I was in the military, and 'fighters' are the last thing we needed. We wanted 'warriors', who are capable of fighting, but also have the discipline and judgment to know when not to fight.

'Using your mind' can mean going along with the plan, not out of lack of imagination or character, but because things go more smoothly for everyone when there is cooperation. Preppies have an activity called 'crew' which involves paddlers and a coxswain. Teaches teamwork and cooperation. No coincidence that so many of these guys become so successful. Compare this to miss burger queen ('have it your way') who disrupts a whole class by sticking to her perceived 'rights'. Who wants to live in a time/place where a fifteen year old determines the agenda at the expense of the adult(s)?

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: works4dhs

Who wants to live in a time/place where a fifteen year old determines the agenda at the expense of the adult(s)?

We'd end up with some nice shoes.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: works4dhs

Who wants to live in a time/place where a fifteen year old determines the agenda at the expense of the adult(s)?

Not me, but hey, that is where we are at now.

They don't even need to be 15 years old.... third graders can do it.
ATS Thread: How can third grade student....

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This civilization is already run by the teenagers

Just look at music

The other day I wanted to know where the great singer Shirley Bassey was in terms of the greatest singer ever…when I looked it up ALL of the greatest singers were rock n roll artists and she was no where to be found along with all the other great old time pop singers.

Katy Perry is a better singer than Shirley Bassey?

Give me a break

The culture is no longer led by the wisdom of the elders but by the whims of the youthful

In education its worse

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Texting isn't disruptive ... Like hell, lady, it's disrespectful and I guarantee your little darlin' isn't learning anything while she's absorbed in cyber space. So it's definitely disrupting her education.

Horrible assault against a smallish girl by a full grown man because: texting

You don't see anything wrong with this?

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: symphonyofblase

I didn't defend him. I merely pointed out that had the girl behaved and shown any respect for authority, she and he would never have been in that situation because she would have gotten off her phone.

So, the guy's no winner, but neither is she.

So I have to ask all the people who defend her:

Why are so quick to defend her as though she is blameless? Do what you were asked to do, put away your freakin' phone, and you wouldn't have seen the cop in your face in the first place.

It's not like anyone asked her to do anything racist or horrible.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

We don't know each other, but I do find myself in agreement with you on a lot of topics and discussions.

However...

I haven't really seen anyone blatantly defending her, and calling her blameless. in that thought, assaulting her wasn't really the best route to take either. Now I can't speak for others, just myself. However a school resource officer, trained on how to deal with people in various situations, influences etc. couldn't come up with something better than then what he had ?

If this was my kid, she'd be praying for Jesus to save her while I drove home from work... And she'd probably need it.

At no point in this affair was she ever "right."

But neither was his first and only response her behavior.

Kids should be respectful, they should listen and obey instruction from teachers. School resource officers shouldn't be roughing up non-violent school kids either.

/shrug they're both wrong, no argument there. One was however, on a higher level of expectation than the other, and violated that trust & expectation.

edit on 29-10-2015 by CrawlingChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

So I have to ask all the people who defend her:

Why are so quick to defend her as though she is blameless? Do what you were asked to do, put away your freakin' phone, and you wouldn't have seen the cop in your face in the first place.

She is an underage girl (7th grader) who was not behaving in class

How can I not defend her?

What she did was not something that justifies his behavior. Disrespect for your teacher does not mean you're breaking the law - or threatening anybody

The failure of people to understand this part of the story is mind boggling

When people say it wouldn't have happened if she had been behaving - I have to assume they feel she deserved it

edit to add:

It's not like anyone asked her to do anything racist or horrible.

Just weird...
edit on 10/29/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

a reply to: CrawlingChaos

The thing is that it WASN'T the first and only option he "jumped to". He repeatedly asked her to put her phone away and come with him, and she persisted to say no. What do you do with someone who will not comply? Everyone says drag her out of the classroom in her chair... What happens when she strikes the enforcement officer in protest? Does he now whoop on her?

I don't understand why the girl isn't being charged with disrupting the classroom, being expelled, and being put into a classroom environment more to her standard. This option makes it easier on everyone, and will allow the other student there to actually LEARN to do so in a conflict-free environment.

TheBorg

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 29-10-2015 by TheBorg because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

a reply to: Spiramirabilis

And yet no one can answer the question; what do you do to stop behavior like this when there is this new staunch no-contact policy in effect? They did all they could do before calling the SFO, and he did his job, albeit in an aggressive manner.

TheBorg

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

You just say fine effing sit there. she is going to get up eventually then you suspend/expell her..

but then those poor other kids might not get 20 minutes of their 7th grade education. cant have that right? so lets just beat our students.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

And yet no one can answer the question; what do you do to stop behavior like this when there is this new staunch no-contact policy in effect? They did all they could do before calling the SFO, and he did his job, albeit in an aggressive manner.

I don't think he did do his job, unless his job is to be a hired thug

All she did was sit there and not obey. She's 14 or 15 I think? Honestly...

What I think is most interesting about this case and the response to it is this idea that we need to bring this girl (or any child) to heel

Did anyone once think of asking the girl why she was refusing? They could have just left it as is - and dealt with it after class with a different approach. Respect goes both ways - and she is the child in this situation

Do they have this gorilla on the premises just to make kids that aren't even violent behave? This tells me everything I need to know about this school. There's no time for talking - there's no time for an individual student

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

but then those poor other kids might not get 20 minutes of their 7th grade education. cant have that right? so lets just beat our students.

:-)

Nice - and better

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBorg

I don't understand why the girl isn't being charged with disrupting the classroom, being expelled, and being put into a classroom environment more to her standard.

That is the appropriate response. Not the Attack of the 300 Pound Power Lifter Line Coach, who's enforcing school policy under the color of law, and is having a rage response because someone said 'no'.

I don't think she's some sort of hero, she's a bratty 14 year old. On the other hand, the cop is not, or you might have hoped he would act like it. His response is unacceptable and possibly unlawful, and I'd hope his disciplinary action is a bit more than simple dismissal.

If he can't control himself any better than this encounter with a 14 year old girl, what is he doing when he's on the street and having to deal with adults? Does he go right to Hulk Smash when someone says 'no' to a search? We're putting our lives, freedoms and safety on the line every time we pin a badge on someone, when they demonstrate they're not up to the task the badge should come right back off.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join