It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina school officer caught on video beating down student in arrest

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

Neither of my responses on thus far in the thread were directed at you.

I will however answer my own question later tonight either after they answer, or if they refuse. The longer they wait to answer my question, the less credibility they are going to have.

You've been here long enough to know how this goes

But have it your way

:-)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Lets not forget that a second student was arrested simply for standing up and verbally objecting to this officers actions. Not only are we allowing officers to assault non compliant, disrespectful students but we allow them to arrest anyone who objects.

And there are those who want us to believe there is a "war on cops".

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It's just a serious pet peeve of mine when people make negative comments on things (anything, not just police use of force), but refuse to offer any sort of better solution. They watch an out of context youtube video that is only recording after the start of the event, and then proceed to tell the whole world that person did that action wrong (and sometimes should be punished for it). They then offer no better alternatives. They might get mad that a pilot flipped a switch that caused a plane to crash, but little did they know that the pilot flipped the switch because of a faulty sensor. All you would end up hearing in the media is pilot error and "he shouldn't have done that". They don't call school police to the classroom every time a student whips out a cell phone in the middle of class, they don't even see the police officer if they are sent to the deans office. The cop was called because the girl refused an order by the teacher to leave the classroom, then yet another order by a school adminstrator.

video.foxnews.com...=show-clips

Watch the first minute of the video so you can get some actual context behind it as opposed to seeing evil white cop slamming a minority student video

Seriously, it's not that hard, everyone here is faulting the cop (again, because of an out of context video that was taken after the girl refused several prompts) when 3 preventative steps were taken BEFORE THE COP EVEN GOT THERE.

Step 1:
Teacher: Put your phone away miss
Student: No

Step 2:
Teacher: Ok then, go to the dean / principals office

Step 3:
School Adminstrator: Come with me to the office, it is against school regulation to have your phone out while in class.

Step 4:
Police Officer: Come with me to the office and give me your phone

4 times the student had the opportunity for this to be resolved less forcefully and without incident than it was. Yet not one person is placing an ounce of blame on the student.

EDIT; Typo
edit on 27-10-2015 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I went to lots of different schools. Public, private w/a tie and jacket, Bohemian hippy school where you called teachers by first names and didn't have to be there if you have a class, but best of all was Quaker's "Friends" school.

Public HS in PA coal country sucked, a bunch of authoritarians, dipwits and petty bourgeois class. I had teachers put hands on me for no good reason. I'm a nice guy and was a good kid. These guys are lucky I don't ring their door bell some day.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Note to self: Stop being a disruptive, defiant prick in class if I don't want to get dealt with. Tah-duh. Next...
edit on 27-10-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FraggleRock
Lets not forget that a second student was arrested simply for standing up and verbally objecting to this officers actions. Not only are we allowing officers to assault non compliant, disrespectful students but we allow them to arrest anyone who objects.

And there are those who want us to believe there is a "war on cops".

An anti-police rally calling for "pigs in a blanket" less than 72 hours after a cop is murdered in cold blood isn't a war on cops? If that isn't, then there sure as hell isn't a police war on poor minorities when Cops are literally refusing to do their job (approach and apprehend criminals) and getting assaulted (Alabama Cop a month or two back who was beat to a pulp ) because they fear they are going to be the next target of a public character assasination.

Tell me more how their isn't a war on cops.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Yeah we know all that and took it into consideration, yes she was being difficult, but that in no way justified his actions and hindsights is not 20/20 for I have dealt with drunk sailors and marines while on Shore Patrol, dealt with difficult drunken partons in my place and for the most part without slamming anyone on to the floor all it took was calm resolve .
It could have been handled better why not admit that.
edit on 27-10-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

So all it takes for there to be a "war on police" are some truly disgusting chants from a group of idiots?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: PlasticWizard

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: PlasticWizard

He goes from trying to pull one arm to immediately around the neck and underneath the leg. He knew exactly what he was doing. I would have reacted the same way as the girl out of pure instinct. Putting your hands in the area of the neck is automatic freak out mode, especially if it's a full grown man twice your size doing it.

I'm not sure what the proper police procedure is for removing a disgruntled students from a class room, I don't think he does either, I think it was a heat of the moment situation that got out of hand. I never said he was right. He should have pulled her out of the class, desk in all and never laid a hand on her. Just slide her on out. I myself would have left when told to the first time by the teacher.

This is exactly what I said to my partner when she told me about the incident. He should have taken her desk and all into the hallway, never laying a hand on her. I guarantee she would have been the laughing stock of the class. As far as why he was there to begin with ... I have two step daughters in High School. For security the school employs Deputy Sheriffs. The story I read stated that the student refused the teacher's instruction to get off her phone. An administrator was called to the room and the student still refused and also refused to leave. Eventually 'security' (read as local police hired for security) was called to the room. She was asked multiple times by multiple people (teacher, administrator and officer) to leave. This wasn't a matter that occurred in a short few seconds or even minutes. This was a long period of time that she refused multiple requests. Drag the desk into the hallway and close the door. Guarantee she wouldn't have done it again after all the laughter.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

4 times the student had the opportunity for this to be resolved less forcefully and without incident than it was. Yet not one person is placing an ounce of blame on the student.

That's because the officer is paid to protect and serve...not assault

He wasn't protecting anyone, he wasn't serving anyone

And no matter how unreasonable she was - she didn't do anything that deserves that level of violence

Being an asshole is not illegal - or life threatening

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Seriously, it's not that hard, everyone here is faulting the cop (again, because of an out of context video that was taken after the girl refused several prompts) when 3 preventative steps were taken BEFORE THE COP EVEN GOT THERE.

DOESN'T MATTER, WE CARE ABOUT THE COPS ACTIONS!
You are right she could have just got up, but she didn't and the cop decided to assault her because of it.
The context is that he decided to act like he was taking down a dangerous criminal on the street, the video does not take that out of context at all.

She was wrong to do what she did, but the cop was went above and beyond. That is not the response that we need to some kid being a punk.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

So all it takes for there to be a "war on police" are some truly disgusting chants from a group of idiots?

If a few isolated interactions (out of many millions every year) with police that resulted in shootings constitutes a war on young black men, then yes, yes it is.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258
If a few isolated interactions (out of many millions every year) with police that resulted in shootings constitutes a war on young black men, then yes, yes it is.

Are you implying that I've claimed this "war on young black men" exists? I have no idea why you're trying to attribute that to anything I'm saying unless it's an awful attempt to deflect into a racial argument. I have no idea what your point is.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

You are right she could have just got up, but she didn't and the cop decided to assault her because of it.
The context is that he decided to act like he was taking down a dangerous criminal on the street, the video does not take that out of context at all.

She was wrong to do what she did, but the cop was went above and beyond. That is not the response that we need to some kid being a punk.

You still haven't answered my question. What would you have done differently in this case?

But, as I have said, I will answer my own question:

I personally would advocate for the cop simply waiting for backup. I also like to think I would not throw them across the floor in this way. I like to think I would make an attempt at removing the student, then, after she resisted, waited for backup, forcefully removed her with the aid of another officer (cop haters are also conveniently disregarding the possibility that this may be the only officer in the school), then charging her with all applicable crimes. All the cop haters want justice, they would get justice, and max this arrogant, bratty, disrespectful teenager out sentence wise. I also like to think I would do everything in my power to ensure the book was thrown at this student. Disorderly Conduct and Resisting arrest. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but I would, as an officer recommend it to the District Attorney. Everyone wants this situation to have been resolved other than how it was, but the ones who are blaming the cops are conveniently forgetting how this situation arose in the first place. The student started this whole situation. If she would have simply went to the Principals/Deans Office, or in Lieu of that put their phone away, or in Lieu OF THAT, NOT BROUGHT THEIR PHONE OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF CLASS, this cop could have been doing other probably more important things. That is 3 transgressions the student is solely responsible for. They don't call the cops to the classroom every time a student whips out a phone, they call the cops to the classroom if their is a fight, or if a student is grossly disruptive and won't leave.

I agree with most of you in that the cop should not have handled this on his own, but not for the same reason. I think he should have waited, not to protect the feelings of this bratty teenager (who in my personal opinion deserved everything she got), but to save his reputation. Police Officers are constantly, and purposefully by little brats like this, put into no-win scenarios, and all the attention is focused on the cops. That is where I take issue with this whole situation. The more leeway wrongdoers are given, the more breadth they are going to take. (Give them an inch and they will take a mile). If enough leeway is given and taken, cops have no more authority. What sort of real authority do cops have, if they are not allowed, or severely restricted in the usage of it? What is the point of giving an officer arrest powers if they are going to be condemned and decried every time they have to take a suspect down. I'm not even going to bring up the physical strength argument. If any of you have ever been in a real legitimate physical struggle, you would know that strength is not everything. I have 40 pounds and a foot on my girlfriend, but when she clenches up when I'm trying to tickle her, it's still hard to bring her arms away from her chest (Without doing pressure points or physically hurting her). And this is just play fighting.

It's obvious most of you who are against what the cop did are just blindly blaming the cop without consideration to other factors in this situation. Sorry to break it to you, but virtually NO situation is black and white, squared and neatly stacked into a corner.

That is pretty much all. All the cop haters are just doing what they do best: Demonizing cops with the rest of the cop haters in a cop hater circle jerk. Ironically enough, those same cop haters are the ones that claim criminals are not fully responsible for their actions, that we should blame the poverty and situation they grew up in and should be given lenience. I guess cops don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, just be punching bags for criminals and given un-enforceable in practice authority. Seriously- handing someone the keys to a Lambo and telling them not to accelerate to fast, and they had better not take it above 55.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

Are you implying that I've claimed this "war on young black men" exists? I have no idea why you're trying to attribute that to anything I'm saying unless it's an awful attempt to deflect into a racial argument. I have no idea what your point is.

YOU brought up this "war on xyz"

NOT ONCE DID I BRING UP A WAR ON ANYONE. I only brought it up AFTER you IMPLIED (the EXACT same thing you are accusing me of) there are those implying a "war on cops" existed. I just picked it up and ran with it.

edit on 28-10-2015 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I scoffed at the idea of there being a "war of cops" and you disagreed. Your disagreement seemed to hang on the idea that stupid chants by idiots equates to a "war on cops" so I asked for clarification or confirmation of what you seemed to be saying. What does race have to do with any of that?
edit on 28-10-2015 by FraggleRock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I just want to further elaborate on this ignorant, short sighted statement.

You cannot call for equality of accountability while simultaneously only placing blame on one party of an incident in which two people are equally legally responsible. This girl had a legal obligation to obey the cops orders, this cop had the legal right (and as a commissioned officer, obligation to the state) to arrest / take her into custody for disturbing the peace/ disorderly conduct. However you are only focusing on what the cop might have done wrong, and completely absolving the girl of responsibility in this scenario. She assumes the brunt of responsibility in this situation because her actions brought it into being in the first place.

edit on 28-10-2015 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

I scoffed at the idea of there being a "war of cops" and you disagreed. Your disagreement seemed to hang on the idea that stupid chants by idiots equates to a "war on cops" so I asked for clarification or confirmation of what you seemed to be saying. What does race have to do with any of that?

What does a war on cops have to do with this scenario? Usually when you are implying a war on someone or some group, you are attributing a victim role to that person or group. This thread is about the victimization of the teenager not the victimization of the cop.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Sheriff David Clarke States "There Is No Police Brutality In America"
Don't believe your lying eyes or experience
Wrong thread reposted here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 28-10-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

I have to wonder if she was offered money to behave like this. She knew what he was going to do because he's notorious for it. There are suggestions the kids were sick of his behaviour and this was a way to get it on video. Entrapment. Better to get video of a genuine unwarranted outburst. If she was offered payment for this it's the criminals who benefit from racial strife who arranged it.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join