It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina school officer caught on video beating down student in arrest

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: mikemars261

Yes, the video in the OP Link 'looks' pretty vicious. If it was my kid I might be pissed until I found out he/she was not listening to teachers, administrators AND police after THEY were in a fight and would not leave. Our kids do not understand basic respect and it is, unfortunately getting them hurt and killed.

You are not a sheep if you are 16 and listen to an officer when he asks you to leave the classroom. It does not matter if you did not do anything. I mean, if you did nothing wrong why act the fool? Because of lack of respect for authority.

You are a sheep if you scream police brutality at one video and do not accept the 100's of kind acts or people saved each day by LEO's.

If you want to play, be prepared to play. I mean, actually, it was a pretty effective way to remove a student....
edit on 10am31amf0000002015-10-27T10:55:43-05:001043 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
To all that is ok with this. would it still be ok if a teacher did this to a student? or would you be calling for their heads and jobs?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
Some asked what else could have been done. Simply move the class to another room and leave the affected girl there to deal with her issues. Send in a counselor.....easy stuff.

Or, just drag the chair/desk, with her in it, out the door.
edit on 27-10-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo
To all that is ok with this. would it still be ok if a teacher did this to a student? or would you be calling for their heads and jobs?

I am only 31 so I can't attest to this first hand...

My parents and others around that age have told me that their teachers usesd to do worse than this for disobeying them. I have heard stories of the old gym teacher (from like the 70's) smacking kids in the mouth for back talking him. One guy I know said he was lifted by the throat by a teacher for acting up. He said he got home and told his parents, and they whacked him again and told him he deserved it. Same guy says he now realizes he deserved it.

I am not advocating corporal punishment, but it seems discipline is now being frowned upon and as a result many kids have zero respect for any authority, rather it be teachers parents or cops.
edit on 27-10-2015 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

I think teachers should step in more. When I was in school, if there was a fight in a classroom it was a huge deal and happened once a year if it did. You fought after school.

In the case of the one time it did happen, a huge guy, over 350(think MIchael Brown), tried to push an Art teacher out of his way to leave during class because he was ranting about something. She put her arm up to stop him. He hit her arm and she gut punched him. She was all of 5'1" and 90lbs wet. He sat his ass back down and she did not even write it up. He would have been expelled for hitting a teacher back then. Nothing would have happened to her. She got hit but still saved a student a diploma. Respect.

Every generation talks of the next as if they are the anti-Christ. The only difference is that now the majority feel self entitled and as if the rules do not apply to them. burning a bra in defiance and burning down the local 7-11 are two different things to make a point but the kid in this video, and others, are all part of a cycle that needs to be fixed.

It starts in the community and at home. Children, all kids, black white and martian, all need to learn basic social skills but that it gone. The kids in the class would rather tape it then try to step in or calm her down.

Link

Those are some pretty shocking statistics. I wish the world was all free beer and unicorns but it isn't....

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I haven't read every reply ( yet now that you mention this ) but there are really those okay with this? High schools get unruly yes. Hell I was one, but disciplining from parents primarily with teacher reinforcement for punishment cured that. I don't see any reason this type of force is needed especially on a girl with such a big difference in strength.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Yeah, both my sister and her husband are teachers, and I have a cousin who is in school administration, and I can't for the life of me understand why, what with all the factors you mentioned, plus many more that create a negative environment both for students and teachers alike (like teachers being told what and how to teach [all for a test, not for life], everything having to conform to political correctness, everyone getting participation trophies, common core math, etc.).

At least my cousin understands how bad much of the system has become, so she shifted her focus toward special-needs education, which is at least rewarding in its own right.

I'm sorry to hear that the American education system is so screwed at this point that you felt a need to walk away. I understand why--I used to think I could enjoy being an educator, but not anymore--but it's just disappointing that our federal system and current culture has produced such a bad product of both public schooling and then children that attend it (in general) that teachers would leave the profession because of it (or that we would choose to homeschool because of it).

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Comply or else right? How about just drag the whole desk with her in it out in the hall? No excuse for doing what he did to someones daughter.

In the same breath, there's no excuse for someone's daughter to act like that to an adult, especially one in a position of authority and who has the right and the duty to make her leave the classroom if she's being disruptive.

If my daughter were to grow up (she's under two years old right now) and act like that, as long as there was no lasting, serious damage to my daughter, she'd have gotten what's coming to her. But, I'm tougher on my own kids and have higher expectations out of them than (apparently) most people in modern society expect from children.

Pity about modern society.
edit on 27-10-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Well the story has made all MSM evening news channels here in the UK, no matter what you guys supporting the cop say, it is being pushed as disgraceful behaviour by a supposed professional here.

...I see now why you guys fear your cops, all about control and enforcement instead of finding the best outcome of a situation. And wow, your country must really be #ed up if you have cops in every school, land of the free eh?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Well the story has made all MSM evening news channels here in the UK, no matter what you guys supporting the cop say, it is being pushed as disgraceful behaviour by a supposed professional here.

...I see now why you guys fear your cops, all about control and enforcement instead of finding the best outcome of a situation. And wow, your country must really be #ed up if you have cops in every school, land of the free eh?

Yeah this country is spiraling the toilet bowl a bit faster than most that's for sure.

There are those that want to justify anything and everything they can to maintain their false sense of everything being fine. You usually don't find those types here but there are a few.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I am going to put my foot into my mouth here in the South. The police officer was highly inappropriate and violated some human civil rights. Where are the police man's manners, ethics, and integrity? Isn't this supposed to be the South where patience and manners prevail? I lived up North twenty five years. Then I lived in the South twenty five years. Kentucky, Virginia, South Carolina. The white men here are uneducated and have some very backwards ideas about the nation in general. This is why We are here to infuse some northern educational and work ethic ideas and broaden their ideas. No kidding we were told by the corporation this is what they wanted. We travel internationally for business often and Europe is way ahead of SC. The whole confederate anti American flag issue this summer is how the men here are thinking, and is an embarrassment nationally. That poor girl could have been hurt really badly and had sustaining injuries for years and decades later. Imagine the tramatic physcological damages as well. This is 2015 and people need to mature and get along.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
If that's the American way to handle teenagers at school no wonder you have so many violent crimes. That was totally uncalled for and I've been to school and saw students who had issues with anything from schizophrenia to severely traumatic home life or any issues that could cause a teenager to act out. They definitely did not handle it like that and we had a police officer most of the time at our high school. I always though he was an arse but looking back I am thankful he would just talk too much and was a little boring.

Okay so lets go over this scenario and I don't even need to see what happened earlier unless she was armed or had hostage or something.

An unruly student refuses to leave and they call in a police officer to use brutal force from something right out of 1939 Germany and the video speaks for itself. If that's the actual training protocol I feel sorry for Americans who live through that form of oppressive control.

What should have happened was the principal would have to sign off on an arrest (which they didn't) if had even gotten to the point where police were needed as the few times in the past I saw similar events happen it was always handled professionally by the school staff.
If police needed to extract this teenager which might have been a possibility then at least 2 female police officers should have been called to handle the situation and I truly believe this could have been less dangerous if the police officer used patience.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Smart mouthed teens piss adults off. He must have known that about himself, and should never have put himself in a situation where he was with them all day. Teens mouth off and it can be infuriating, but this is way, way over the top. I wonder what she said to make him so angry, if she told him to F.O. or something.

But there is no excuse. This was abuse.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Slickinfinity

So this sort of thing doesn't happen in Canada either? Didn't think so, I imagine your cops are as professional as they are here in the UK.
The US image as far as policing goes is looking worse each time vids like these are picked up and shown on MSM here.
Maybe it is a media psy-op to imply how less controlled by force we are than poor folk in the US...or maybe just it's true and the US is shockingly controlled by force through an unprofessional police service, sorry, Law ENFORCEMENT.
[/shivers at the thought]

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I bet the next non-compliant student in that school is a bit more attentive.

Stuff like this is why I gave up on teaching. Compliance and Obedience are not signs of weakness or stupidity, they are adult responses to social situations. I'm sure all you '1984' fans would be distressed if some free-spirit driver ran a stop sign or a red light and struck you or a loved one because, hey, why should I submit my will to a stupid marker?
In Mogadishu (Somalia) open trucks full of teenagers with AK-47s ride around the streets. That's not freedom, that's stupidity.
Now this stupid girl will be hailed a hero/victim by the progressives. What have we learned today kids? Why, if a LEO touches you get it on video and become a her/victim because, like, cops are stupid and don't listen to them.

I get the impression that some of you posters have lived most of your lives in gated communities or similar civilized locations and don't know how bad these kids get. US police are like front-line soldiers keeping the barbarians away. God bless them.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: works4dhs
I get the impression that some of you posters have lived most of your lives in gated communities or similar civilized locations and don't know how bad these kids get. US police are like front-line soldiers keeping the barbarians away. God bless them.
Lol, the UK appears like a gated community compared to the US, looks horrible there from outside, contol, obedience, enforcement...

British cops probably wouldn't even be called, and even if they were then safe professional restraint procedures would be carried out if negotiation failed.
You know, forcing someone to move safely without actions such as seen in the OP vid.
Do your cops get training in safe restraint procedures?

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Really, and what kind of message does that send to the rest of the students? Let this girl control the class environment and just give her a slap on the wrist and drag her chair out of the class room. Teachers and administrators shouldn't have to bend over when a kid wants to cop an attitude! This young girl's attitude will not serve herself well in everyday life. I can just picture this girl later in life being pulled over for a traffic violation and refusing to present her drivers license and registration. We all know how that turns out, when they refuse to abide by the law!

Kids feed off of bad behavior. If they see one student getting away with disrespecting a teacher, a police officer or ignoring the teacher's or administrators directives, some will follow suit.

I don't know if a lot of this outrage is from posters under the age of 45, but back in the day when poor behavior and disrespect received a paddling, you simply didn't see this outrageous and defiant behavior in the schools. I remember when teachers would jack guys up against lockers when they were disrespectful! I remember when girls had more respect for themselves and those that engaged in fighting other girls were labeled scum by both the girls and the guys!

Parents used to set parameters for their kids! Kids knew what line they didn't dare cross. If we disrespected a teacher or became a behavior problem for the school, we were grounded for a couple of weeks and received a good smack! Back then we didn't have the threat of kids coming into schools and shooting up the place. We wouldn't even think of having police present in the schools! What does that tell you about the climate in schools today?

You know all this new age fluff really is ruining a generation of kids. Over the years I've seen a huge change on how young people act today. They're disrespectful to their parents, the elderly and anyone in authority. They're rude, and can't say anything without dropping a few "F" bombs here and there. Girls are more promiscuous, some dress like they're prostitutes and what concerning is parents allow them to attend school in that kind of attire! So many of them buck the dress code, the administrators can't even enforce it! They show no consideration and a lot of them are lazy and extremely apathetic to learning anything. Schools now have teacher in-services to help them understand slang - Ebonics. Never mind about learning proper English.

These new ideas on making kids feel good is really backfiring in a huge way. Making kids thinks at an early age that everyone gets a trophy even if they perform bad, is simply setting kids up for failure. That isn't the reality we live in today! There's always winners and losers in life. The have to learn how to lose with dignity and learn to work harder to become a winner!

A lot of these kids are getting everything they want from their parents. They don't know how to do without. Heck what teenage kid doesn't have a cell phone? Sure, parents want to keep track of their kids, but when a cell phone interferes with their education and behavior in school, it's about time parents take the cell phone away until they display better behavior and grades. Who's paying for their cell phone bill?

In the end, this police officer could have handled it differently, but this young girls behavior should also be held accountable and not be swept under the rug. One way or another, this young girl had to be physically removed from the classroom.

I do know this, during my time in school, parents would have backed the teacher and most likely the police officer as long as there was no bodily harm done. The kid probably would also be begging administrators not to tell her parents about her poor behavior.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

So are you saying you support the officers actions slamming the girl to the floor for her 'crime' over professional safe restraint and control procedures as UK cops would adopt?

*Edit*
I ask again, to anyone who may know, do US cops get training in safe restraint procedures when a non-violent suspect is required to be moved?
It is the professional norm for UK police constable training, as well as effective negotiation skills to avoid the use of force.
edit on 27.10.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

No you wouldn't.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Really, and what kind of message does that send to the rest of the students?

Exactly! The officer's action sent the message to the other student that violence is the answer.

I don't know if a lot of this outrage is from posters under the age of 45, but back in the day when poor behavior and disrespect received a paddling, you simply didn't see this outrageous and defiant behavior in the schools.

I'm well beyond 55, and I don't recall ever being hit, spanked or assaulted while attending public school, nor did I witness anyone else being hit, spanked or assaulted by school officials or professional security staff. Although, the Kent State shootings DID occur while I was attending high school. We had walk out days, sit ins, etc., and never saw any violence in our area, as a result.

edit on 27-10-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join