It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexuality ‘may be triggered by environment after birth'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
A modicum of research revealed a much different study than was sensationalized in the Telegraph:

Epigenetic 'tags' linked to homosexuality in men (Nature magazine)

The study results from UCLA were presented October 8, 2015 at the American Society of Human Genetics meeting in Baltimore, Maryland.

The study is focusing on genetic markers that were similar in a "twin study" (one twin gay, one straight) in the gay subjects.

The study is not primarily hypothesizing that the "environment" causes homosexuality as the Telegraph sensationally reported.

[Study Lead Eric] Vilain is not surprised to find that epigenetics is associated with sexual orientation, although he says it is too early to try to directly link the epi-marks to any particular environmental exposure or the expression of a specific gene. Ngun says that the researchers want to replicate the study in a different group of twins and also determine whether the same marks are more common in gay men than in straight men in a large and diverse population. Associations found in small studies are prone to evaporate when tested in larger groups.

Emphasis mine. The study only involved 37 pairs of twins or (74 people.)

It's more of a "proof of concept" for a wider-ranging study.

The basic logic is this: the study found similarities in certain epigenetic markers among a very small group.

Some epigenetic markers can be affected by the environment.

However, the claims that "something" causal in the environment can "make a person gay" is as ludicrous as claiming that cigarette smoking can turn blue eyes brown ...

... in other words: hogwash.

edit on 17Sat, 10 Oct 2015 17:10:48 -050015p0520151066 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Frocharocha

My wife and I have personally witnessed three homosexual children being born, then matured to adulthood where they did indeed turn out to be gay.

They were born that way. You could see it right away. There was absolutely no doubt. ANd we were absolutely not shocked in any way when they "came out". We expected it.

This has changed our opinions so drastically, that even as an ordained minister, I will support them and their decisions if they decide to marry.

And yes, I recently married two lesbians.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Exactly...

I think their argument gets stuck at this point, if you can "Cure" Homosexuality in the womb, than it proves we are Born this way. if you can "Cure" Homosexuality by finding out the "Environmental Triggers" than that means that Heterosexuality can also be Triggered and "Cured" as well

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: matadoor
a reply to: Frocharocha

My wife and I have personally witnessed three homosexual children being born, then matured to adulthood where they did indeed turn out to be gay.

My best friend in high school had a son. You could tell almost immediately that he was different. I was still very naive at the time, but ya just knew.

He wasn't feminine in any way, but ya still just knew. He gave off a different vibe.

We lost touch with each other for about 20 years. When we reconnected she told me her son was gay.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

... and the interesting thing is that women and girls pick up on that "vibe" and are attracted to it.

Of course, it's confusing until they realize it's not a sexual attraction (at least not two-way) but is instead a way to bond with a male that doesn't involve a sexual relationship (and all that carries with it.)

I've always believed that one of the evolutionary "functions" particularly for gay men was to help females make better choices in their mates.

/shrug ... just an intuition.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

... and the interesting thing is that women and girls pick up on that "vibe" and are attracted to it.

Of course, it's confusing until they realize it's not a sexual attraction (at least not two-way) but is instead a way to bond with a male that doesn't involve a sexual relationship (and all that carries with it.)

I've always believed that one of the evolutionary "functions" particularly for gay men was to help females make better choices in their mates.

/shrug ... just an intuition.

That makes sense.

Unfortunately for me, I'm attracted to Neanderthals. I like my men solid on the ground, with powerful shoulders.

Maybe a "Bear"

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Yep, I understand.

The Bible talks about gay men with the "eunuchs from birth" line. For thousands of years in the ancient world, gay men were commonly the guardians of the household ... as they could be "trusted" with the ladies. I'd guess that evolved from certain tribal structures with certain males being left behind to guard the women and children while the other males hunted, made war, what not.

Probably an evolutionary track there too.
edit on 18Sat, 10 Oct 2015 18:42:48 -050015p0620151066 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

The study is focusing on genetic markers that were similar in a "twin study" (one twin gay, one straight) in the gay subjects.

I've read (at least in part) most of the serious studies done.

They've all been ripped apart by critics. This one is already beling slammed.

In some past twin studies it turned out the straight twin wasn't straight, but had not accepted he was gay.

I actually know a set of identical twins where one of them, married with kids, finally accepted the truth about himself in his late 50s.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I was born loving gay men. It's in my genes.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Yep, I understand.

The Bible talks about gay men with the "eunuchs from birth" line. For thousands of years in the ancient world, gay men were commonly the guardians of the household ... as they could be "trusted" with the ladies. I'd guess that evolved from certain tribal structures with certain males being left behind to guard the women and children while the males hunted, made war, what not.

Probably an evolutionary track there too.

In my years of reading, I have read it was a highly honored position.

At least in some cultures.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I was born loving gay men. It's in my genes.

Isn't that a coincidence! ME TOO!

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Wish I could be Bi

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

In my years of reading, I have read it was a highly honored position.

At least in some cultures.

They probably also fulfilled a role of teaching the children ... which makes the relationship of Aristotle and Alexander a bit easier to comprehend, LOL.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

And we love you too!

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Wish I could be Bi

I used to wish the same thing. So many wonderful, beautiful women in the world.

But ... alas.

We are what we are.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I used to wish the same thing. So many wonderful, beautiful women in the world.

You are missing out a lot. Tee hee.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Same feeling I know so many Beautiful men and I am adult enough to say they are. But alas I'm straight.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Same feeling I know so many Beautiful men and I am adult enough to say they are. But alas I'm straight.

Isn't that just a basically refreshing feeling? To be able to acknowledge reality and not get called names for it?

I wish more folks would try it.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Men would joke and ask straight men if they would go for Johnny Depp or some other handsome stars. The answer would usually be YES!

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I work with a gay lad who is the 2nd most beautiful person I have ever met (my Iranian Disney princess is the 1st) he is gorgeous, looking and in spirit.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join