It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexuality ‘may be triggered by environment after birth'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Frocharocha
Now this is interesting, everybody knows that people tried to find explanation to homosexuality in humanity (and in the animal kingdom) to a gene or something, now a controversial new twin study suggests that environmental changes could trigger homosexuality.

Homosexuality may be triggered by environmental factors during childhood after scientists found that genetic changes which happen after birth can determine whether a man is straight or gay.

The finding is highly controversial because it suggests that some men are not born gay, but are turned homosexual by their surroundings. It also raises privacy concerns that medical records could reveal sexuality.

The new research by the University of California has not yet been published but is being presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Human Genetics in Baltimore.

Scientists studied 37 sets of identical male twins, who were born with the same genetic blueprint, to tease out which genes were associated with homosexuality. In each pair, one of the twins was gay.

Only 20 percent of identical twins are both gay leading researchers to believe that there must be causes which are not inherited.
They found that it was possible to tell whether a man was gay or straight by monitoring tiny changes in how his DNA functions after birth – a field known as epigenetics. Where DNA works as an overall instruction manual, epigenetics act as another layer of information highlighting which parts of the text are important and which can be ignored.

Source for more

I am not gay and normally I'm not interested in these sorts of things at but this latest theory is just ignorance to the max and borders on lunacy.

Its also just happens to be based on a theory for which no evidnce can (or is required) to be put up. A day or week, or year old child can be questioned can they??????????

Very convienient factor the asserters of this claims, they dont have to prove anything do they cos they cant interview a child. This is kind of claim people make when they are just trying to cause trouble.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Toxoplasma Gondii is the Culprit...Its the missing link genetically altered through the parents genes

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

I for one am just amazed by your epic Mustache.
How long did it take to grow? use any products? you have inspired me I will attempt to grow mine now.

Your mustache deserves a thread by it's self.

Oh and yup you are born gay it is no choice.
edit on 10-10-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
What factors "determine" bisexuality? Half and half of the triggers for gayness and straightness?

Does the proportion matter? Let's say you're a 60/40 bisexual, (60% of the time you like men, etc.).

Does that mean that for 60% of the formative period, you were in an "environment" that fosters homosexuality?

Sexual orientation is the dynamic result of a constellation of factors. There is little chance of establishing a one-to-one correlation or connection to anything.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It's pretty irrelevant how it happens. The basic facts are.....

1. Gay people have a right to be gay if they're happy. Who cares how they got that way?

2. Gay people do not have the right to force you to sell them a cake for their wedding. There must be someone in town who doesn't care if you're gay to buy a cake from. If not, how hard can it be? This is not that complicated. The guy who owns the store doesn't have to serve you if he simply doesn't like your haircut. It doesn't matter why. Unless it's an emergency. A wedding isn't a life-threatening emergency.

3. People who don't believe in homosexuality probably should not go to work for someone who expects them to facilitate gay weddings.

4. Religious marriage should probably be phased out in favor of a more secular institution for the simple purposes of keeping the peace. If atheists can get married the same way everyone else does, what is the damn point of preventing gay people from doing the same?

Conclusion - All this controversy is just giving the political parties a pointless issue to bicker over instead of talking about REAL freedom and debating that. There should be no question in the mind of people who believe in freedom that gay people have the same rights as everyone else. However, the one thing that is not a right is forcing other people to serve you.

Most gay people seem to be happy to be the way they are. I therefore do not really care what makes them that way. They're not bothering me until they launch a political agenda that seeks to undermine other people's freedom.

I say all this as someone who is basically agnostic but leans right on a lot of issues. This issue is not worth fighting about and it makes the right look like a bunch of idiots.
edit on 10-10-2015 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
It may be triggered...
It could be from...
It might happen that...
It's possible that it's because...

Who really cares? People who AREN'T homosexual and can't accept homosexuality. That's THEIR problem!

Really, all this obsessing over why gay people are gay is really comical! I cannot imagine why it's so very important to so many straight people!

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Why does cake always get mentioned...

and the answer to that is, if the business is in a State with anti-discrimination Laws that protect Sexual-Orientation than yes they do or it's against the law

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Frocharocha

Only 20 percent of identical twins are both gay leading researchers to believe that there must be causes which are not inherited.

That's a low number. Wouldn't identical twins be exposed to the same environment? They are raised together, eat same food, raised the same way by their parents.

Why would the environment trigger homosexuality in one twin but not the other?

Maybe I am missing something? lol

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Did you make that? i want to make that into an outfit..

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

and the answer to that is, if the business is in a State with anti-discrimination Laws that protect Sexual-Orientation than yes they do or it's against the law

In this instance, anti-discrimination laws are wrong. A person who owns a business should have the right to refuse to serve anyone for any reason or none at all. There is a point where the religious right gets crazy and there's a point where the left gets crazy and anti-discrimination laws tends to be that point. Well, on this particular issue. Both sides get a little goofy on a large number of issues.

You don't have a right to demand a job. You don't have a right to demand service from a business you don't own. That's not my inner homophobe (I'm actually bisexual). That's my down the middle libertarian. Just because a law exists doesn't mean it's right. Obamacare is completely bass ackwards and effectively ends freedom of choice with the mandate. That's the legal precedent they're going to use when they want to force you to do anything. Again, crazy stuff. Leave it up to the left.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

This is actually one of those things where I'm going to be happy to say, "I told you so" in a few years. It's just so obvious to me.

I don't understand why a homosexual would feel such a need to blind their selves from the truth. The issue is not what it seems. It must lie elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

That's a low number. Wouldn't identical twins be exposed to the same environment? They are raised together, eat same food, raised the same way by their parents.

Why would the environment trigger homosexuality in one twin but not the other?

Maybe I am missing something? lol

It really doesn't make any sense to me either.

Now, if the mom is subjected to certain environmental factors during gestation --- that I can understand.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

In this instance, anti-discrimination laws are wrong.

NO, they're not. If you sell a product, you sell a product to everyone equally.

You don't get to control commerce by "selectivism".

It's just like the Fair Housing Act. You can not create an all white Christian neighborhood by picking and choosing who's allowed to buy a house in your neighborhood and who is excluded.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I don't wan't to turn this topic into another Cake discussion. since you are Bisexual you must be aware of the states that are legally allowed to discriminate against GLBTQ+ people, from jobs to housing to property to services and more.

if people could be Decent people maybe we wouldn't need Laws, but since people would rather discriminate the Laws are in place to protect Us

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

and again i say i doesnt matter how and why people are gay, i wonder how much money has been spent to study this mentioned study. I bet it was enough to by a new computer lab, or an updated set of books for a public school.

It doesn't matter in the way you are thinking but it matters if the way you raise a child can change that child's whole life, the ability to have children naturally and grandchildren and the whole of their life experience.

If say your child was abused by a neighbor and it led to these changes, is that not important? I remember the boy who was abducted and lived with a man who abused him for many years, he said he was unable to feel any interest in girls, was this the way he was before he was abducted? Is that not important to HIM?

Epigenetic changes are known to be triggered by environmental factors such as chemical exposure, childhood abuse, diet, exercise and stress.

They found that it was possible to tell whether a man was gay or straight by monitoring tiny changes in how his DNA functions after birth – a field known as epigenetics. "epigenetics act as another layer of information highlighting which parts of the text are important and which can be ignored."

What if it were reversible?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

If homosexuality could be Reversible, than so could Heterosexuality

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Did you make that? i want to make that into an outfit..

LOL ... that could be on the front and on the back you could have something like "Hi, my name's cake."

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I for one am just amazed by your epic Mustache.
How long did it take to grow? use any products? you have inspired me I will attempt to grow mine now.

Your mustache deserves a thread by it's self.

Oh and yup you are born gay it is no choice.

Thank you, I do get a lot of complements on my mustache when I go out to the stores and restaurants.

It took about two months to grow it, I had to keep cutting the ends back to make it grow thicker.

It is a work in progress, I am now growing it much longer. The product I use to hold it's style is called: (Got To Be Glue)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

a reply to: SeaWorthy

If homosexuality could be Reversible, than so could Heterosexuality

You know the basis of all these "reversible" theories is the idea that heterosexuality is "normal" and homosexuality (or any other variation) is not "normal."

They believe this silliness despite the facts of thousands of years of the historical record (there have always been gay people, they even show up in cave art), scientific research studies, etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join