It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexuality ‘may be triggered by environment after birth'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Now this is interesting, everybody knows that people tried to find explanation to homosexuality in humanity (and in the animal kingdom) to a gene or something, now a controversial new twin study suggests that environmental changes could trigger homosexuality.

Homosexuality may be triggered by environmental factors during childhood after scientists found that genetic changes which happen after birth can determine whether a man is straight or gay.

The finding is highly controversial because it suggests that some men are not born gay, but are turned homosexual by their surroundings. It also raises privacy concerns that medical records could reveal sexuality.

The new research by the University of California has not yet been published but is being presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Human Genetics in Baltimore.

Scientists studied 37 sets of identical male twins, who were born with the same genetic blueprint, to tease out which genes were associated with homosexuality. In each pair, one of the twins was gay.

Only 20 percent of identical twins are both gay leading researchers to believe that there must be causes which are not inherited.
They found that it was possible to tell whether a man was gay or straight by monitoring tiny changes in how his DNA functions after birth – a field known as epigenetics. Where DNA works as an overall instruction manual, epigenetics act as another layer of information highlighting which parts of the text are important and which can be ignored.

Source for more

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Frocharocha

Eureka!

Really, who didn't know this?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

and again i say i doesnt matter how and why people are gay, i wonder how much money has been spent to study this mentioned study. I bet it was enough to by a new computer lab, or an updated set of books for a public school.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Environmental factors...hmm...this reminds me of The Happening, except the Environment killing the humans thru releasing spores that make you commit suicide, the Environment is making sure the population doesn't reproduce by introducing more homosexuals...then infertility!!!! DOOOOM!

Regards,

SK

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

now a controversial new twin study suggests that environmental changes could trigger homosexuality

Only if folks want to make it a controversy. Me, I just see taxpayers and economic slaves like everyone else....that just happen to have an awesome dress sense.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The science is interesting, and I'm all for understanding what makes us tick. I just don't see the need for gays to justify their attraction to the same gender. Genetic or environment or both, makes no difference to me. It's not my business to be in their business.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
And next week: "Homosexuality caused by watching PowerPuff Girls".

All this is is a guess, there's really no actual science behind it. Maybe they're right, but I say take it with a grain of salt. Gay people are who they are, who cares how they got that way? They're no less human than anyone else.
edit on 10/9/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

The science is interesting, and I'm all for understanding what makes us tick. I just don't see the need for gays to justify their attraction to the same gender. Genetic or environment or both, makes no difference to me. It's not my business to be in their business.

I know one half of an set of identical twins of boys. Both are gay. Both are still in the closet.

It may have merit, but I think it doesn't matter. Is this study going to followed on by some religious pamphlet to parents, about what environmental factors to avoid if they don't want homosexual children as part of strange/warped ante natal clinics?

*Sorry, maybe taking tit a little too far, brain just ticking over*

Are they good people? Do they care about others? Are they charitable? Respect their neighbours? This is what you want in your children.

These things matter. Sexual orientation, means squat. It's your humanity that counts.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Sounds as good as explanation as any other.

Myself think it's all part of a grand design.

Mother nature built in several means of natural population control right along with war,disease, and yes people men liking men, and women liking women is a part of that intelligent design.

Don't forget the reason we have two sexes to begin with is procreation, and until surrogates came along.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
And next week: "Homosexuality caused by watching PowerPuff Girls".

Not "PowderPuff Girls", "Spongebob" and Bible Camp.

Hope that lightened the mood.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Why is this getting presented it it hasnt been published? Seems like you would want this to be peer reviewed before you went and presented it.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
are you telling me that using an rectal thermometer , rather then a temporal scanner is gonna turn the kid gay?

Come on

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Why is this getting presented it it hasnt been published? Seems like you would want this to be peer reviewed before you went and presented it.

It's very common for scientific studies to be presented publicly prior to publication.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
There was a study years ago on rats or mice, the bunch that grew up in a garbage wasteland had a few times more gay rats than those in cleaner environments. Makes perfect sense to me, harder times call for different strategies for group fitness. No clue why people feel this changes anything, just as it is.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

rather then a temporal scanner

What posh household did you grow up in?

Mine was a strip of, like, negative film you just pushed against the forehead.

And my mother reaction whatever my temperature was, was 'Take two paracetamol, you are going to school, you'll be fine'

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrsNonSpecific
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

rather then a temporal scanner

What posh household did you grow up in?

Mine was a strip of, like, negative film you just pushed against the forehead.

And my mother reaction whatever my temperature was, was 'Take two paracetamol, you are going to school, you'll be fine'

They really dont cost that much lil miss, they are pretty cheap now days
edit on 10/9/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

and again i say i doesnt matter how and why people are gay, i wonder how much money has been spent to study this mentioned study. I bet it was enough to by a new computer lab, or an updated set of books for a public school.

I suppose if you were the twin who was gay you may want to know why and if you don't want to be if it could be changed. People are afraid to even suggest this now days.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Homosexuality may be triggered by environmental factors during childhood after scientists found that genetic changes which happen after birth can determine whether a man is straight or gay.

There is no evidence that the environment may cause one to become a homosexual.

If so would the environment cause one to become straight?

Many people are born straight, gay, or bi sexual. That is the way it is, and we need to all except that.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

Is that Vic Reeves?.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Is that Vic Reeves?.

Are you referring to my avatar? That is a photo of me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join