It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here’s What The World Thinks About The American Response To The Oregon Massacre

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Are half the population of youth in those other countries overmedicated, overstimulated, undereducated, and devoid of common sense? What are their role models like? Underpaid and overworked teachers? Out of control pop music stars and anorexic actors, models and musicians?

This isn't going away until the American culture gets a handle on our education system and pulls in the reins on our entertainment culture.. We have become too reliant on the system and have become complacent and lacking of common sense and a stable lifestyle..

Guns are always going to be around, and focusing on them now just pushes the real issues further down the road..

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
It boggles my mind people that aren't American bitching about guns and OUR right to own them. You don't hear me on hear bitchin about the bland arse food the Brits eat( Germans should have bombed you all with cookbooks) or the we'll kick your arse with a big stick Aussie's.

Last time I checked no mass murders were caused by bland British food or big sticks.

Resorting to insults is a sign of someone who doesn't actually have an argument and instead resorts to such low tactics in the hopes of shutting others up.

We have the 2nd amendment and so be it. All the threads all the large amount of bitching aint gonna do a damn thing here in America. All of your countries have their own problems....so take some time & bitch about your own countries problems. Me I'm going out and purchase yet another firearm...Yea for me!!

I find it rather perplexing and somewhat amusing that Americans think they can have carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want around the world and yet when an "outsider" wants to have an opinion on America it's a big no-no. That is the very dictionary definition of hypocritical.

edit on 6/10/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
It boggles my mind people that aren't American bitching about guns and OUR right to own them. You don't hear me on hear bitchin about the bland arse food the Brits eat( Germans should have bombed you all with cookbooks) or the we'll kick your arse with a big stick Aussie's. We have the 2nd amendment and so be it. All the threads all the large amount of bitching aint gonna do a damn thing here in America. All of your countries have their own problems....so take some time & bitch about your own countries problems. Me I'm going out and purchase yet another firearm...Yea for me!!

have fun with all your crazies killing you all for the near future then, you actually sound like a crazy...in fact all "pro gun" supporters here sound like they are happy that you are all getting killed as long as you can have your weapon to kill with ...just plain and simple crazy

Seriously though, what the hell have you achieved in the US of A recently that improves anybody's life anywhere, including your own? Zilch!

Gun totting crazies everywhere including your own police forces ... so glad I'm British and not trying to have a life in a country that really doesn't value life

I'll just keep an eye on your internal events and keep watching the massacres you crazies love so much...Long live the 2nd amendment!!...Hehehe, I have to laugh otherwise I'd cry is so wrong

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

I think you can have all the opines you want. But you also have to understand that we have a different outlook than you.

And by the way how do you know your bland food didn't kill more than mass shooters. Stats?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe

And as I said on this thread before according to the National Crime and Victimization Survey there are at least 200k defensive gun use every year here in the US.

200k defensive gun use examples in a country of 300 million. Put into that perspective it doesn't seem like very much at all.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Last time I checked, murder is illegal in the US, so what penalties can be affected that supercede that of murder? We have background checks, laws in place, but the funny thing is, criminals don't abide by the law, hence the criminal part.

Responsible gun owners understand gun control, understand safety and understand what a gun can do. However, the problem in America, is personal responsibility is a thing of the past, and nobody wants to be held accountable for anything. I have had hunter safety course, gun safety course, and been around guns since I was 6. None of my guns have committed a crime, I haven't committed a gun crime. I keep my guns because its my right, hunting, and personal protection. I live in the country but there is a high level of crime here and meth is a problem. There has been in the past 2 weeks, 3 break ins during daylight hours. Meth heads are dangerous, and will do whatever they can. I would be a fool not to have something for protection.

You can put all the rules you want on the books, but if somebody wants somebody dead, its not that hard, and guns are really not the most optimal for mass death. timothy McVeigh proved that.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The 487 people killed via 133 mass shootings is a cultural thing here in America, and the rest of the world looks at us in disgust.
Just as Americans look in disgust when Saudi Arabia stones people to death as punishment and "honor" killings of young women in ME countries. It's cultural over there too. They do nothing to change their laws. It's all relative.

Here in the US, if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
edit on 6-10-2015 by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

And as I said on this thread before according to the National Crime and Victimization Survey there are at least 200k defensive gun use every year here in the US.

200k defensive gun use examples in a country of 300 million. Put into that perspective it doesn't seem like very much at all.

200,000 defensive carry uses.

Less than 9,000 gun related homicides.

Tens of millions of gun owners who didn't shoot a single person.

You're right, it doesn't seem like very much at all does it?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

What if those 200k weren't armed and therefore became gun violence VICTIMS?
Then you would think it was A LOT, right?

link   

200,000 time a gun saved someone every year vs 11,000 gun murders. And of those 11k most are gang on gang deaths. Seems significant to me .. considering 200k is a low estimate from a left leaning organization.
edit on 6-10-2015 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: johnwick

#en eh I'm glad you showed up, haha this # is getting out of control, so basically what we have is a bunch of,British and Australian people telling us we need to restrict our guns, some saying all guns, and one particular poster saying no toys guns, or even thoughts of violence, this thread SMH.The pretentiousness and the scolding is amazing.look at the thread title the whole things is just a smear, glad you showed up man I have to step away from ats for a minute.

It is ok man, it is always the same madness.

The same amount of people get killed, but at leadt a gun wasnt used!!!.....

I dont get how taking their rights away was a success, if it didnt achieve its goal of stopping murders.

Unless its goal was to restrict their rights, in which case it worked just like they wanted it to.

Less people died by guns!!! But the same amount or more still die!!!

What a success!!!

I would have thought reduced murders would have been the desired outcome....meh, who am i to judge our crazy cousins?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Nothing will be done so long as the evil NRA continues to control and manipulate Congress.

That, and just the impression that the average American seems to have a questionable grip on reality.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: tnhiker

Responsible gun owners understand gun control, understand safety and understand what a gun can do. However, the problem in America, is personal responsibility is a thing of the past, and nobody wants to be held accountable for anything. I have had hunter safety course, gun safety course, and been around guns since I was 6. None of my guns have committed a crime, I haven't committed a gun crime.

Please explain what the average law-abiding person needs a powerful assault rifle for?

That is the point of this whole debate, not taking all the guns. Why do I have to keep reminding people of this?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I find it odd that the founding fathers added the phrase "congress shall make no law" to the 1st amendment but didn't bother to add it to the 2nd.

"Shall not be infringed upon"

Weird choice of words. Would your rights to own a gun be infringed upon if congress passed a law that prohibited the sale of semi automatic rifles? But still allowed you to keep a shotgun or handgun for personal defense?
edit on 6-10-2015 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

link   

link   

a reply to: Agit8dChop

Our forefathers wrote the 1st Amendment too and they couldn't imagine we have the internet and computers. What is your point.

And why would we spill blood if we have not exhausted all peaceful avenues to resolve our issues yet?

And that is why we havent started a new civil war!!!

We still have other options, the stick shoukd be the last resort, never used before applying the carrot/bacon/beer method!!

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Please explain what the average law-abiding person needs a powerful assault rifle for?

I hate reloading.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Most of us do not own an 'assault rifle'. Most of us do own sporting rifles such as the AR-15. Not the same as the real 'assault rifles' use in the military such as the M4's and M16's. Just because they look similar does not make it true.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

That's because in your particular instance, you consider yourself disciplined - one of the pre-requisites in owning a gun.
And by disciplined I mean "not bat-sh!t crazy gonna mow down innocents, reload and then mow down more"...like Mr Oregon, Mr Sandy Hook and Mr Batman movie etc.

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.

I'm sure you know which famous advocate of the 2nd that (correct) quote is attributed to?

Again, I agree with your 2nd amendment rights and am an advocate of law-abiding US citizens exercising that right to bear arms and my posting history is a testament to that. I would like to focus on those who are not disciplined and are (potential) gun owners and possibly future fire-crackers ready to explode.

Should all gun owners exercise a degree of continuous discipline through-out their lives to ensure the safety of those around them and if so, what mechanism should be in place to protect innocents from such acts?

Discipline - this is the key to this whole debate such that it also pertains to any weapon in ones possession which has the potential to kill - it's just that a gun is the best way to kill many people the quickest (aside from bombs and other military grade weaponry).

I just think that not all humans are disciplined enough to own a gun - that includes some US citizens (those who display a potential to got bat-sh!t crazy).

Read my post on page one before responding because as your avatar is my witness, I am just as familiar with the Constitution, her amendments and other documents which were created to protect US citizens as you guys, in fact probably more so but at least on the same level of understanding.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

I would have thought reduced murders would have been the desired outcome....meh, who am i to judge our crazy cousins?

I find myself having to ask this question AGAIN, as some people insist on deflecting from the actual topic.

How many MASS SHOOTINGS have countries like Australia, with gun restrictions, had as opposed to America?

I'll give you a hint: Australia has had NONE.

I would say that's pretty good evidence of it working.

And again, nobody claimed it would stop all murders or violence, just greatly reduce the risk of it happening and to keep guns away from nutters as best as possible. I am getting a little sick of having to repeat myself multiple times on this issue.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join