It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N Korea shells S Korean border unit . South Korea retaliates .

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
This certainly does have a different feel to it than past NK/SK skirmishes.

However, so far it has just been a few shots, and in the past NK has done much worse,
which is why I think more is to come.

I expect to see an attempt to blow up the south's speaker system,
where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

The South's new policy of hard responses to NK aggression could very quickly escalate this into a full blown war, which honestly, has to happen sooner or later because it is pretty obvious that the past and current leader of NK has no interest in a peaceful reunification of the two halves.

Both sides have been preparing for it for a long time.

I just hope this is not the time it happens.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus
In reply to Hutch re that article, posting a snippet any anyone interested.

The Mirror - NK live updates

The Scud middles that South Korea believe the North is preparing to launch this morning will target 11 sites, according to intelligence sources in the South.

Locations where loudspeakers are situated on the Southern side of the border will be targeted after the North accused its rival of broadcasting 'anti-North Korea propaganda'.

South Korea has confirmed that it expects to be attacked, and insists that it will retaliate.

Text bolded by me.

That bit worries me.

It goes to show all of the west needs to be prepared for a serious war. Especially and immediately America, I concern deeply for the troops who are stationed there right now, Asian conflicts have always been particularly bloody, I believe in the event of all out war the expected time of life in battle is a few seconds! Correct me if I'm wrong. I've said it before and I'll say it again, dealing with North Korea needs to happen now inevitably we will have to, now is better than later. No matter what many will die, perhaps now less will and the advantage will be ours. However and it goes without saying but if diplomacy is possible the. That should be the first choice. A lasting diplomacy would be nice but that seems impossible.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: HumanPLC
a reply to: felixjames20

I don't think he's deliberately fired at SK targets before though; isn't that essentially an act of war?

They have.

NK shelled a Island killing civilians win 2010

Same year they also sunk a SK corvette
edit on 21-8-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

You know Im the last to call for war but I agree with you this time.

The world needs to deal with them at some point.

Better now when they have nukes "only" in the limited lower kiloton range that they lack effective delivery for than when they gave megaton range ICBMs.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I feel guilty but I agree with you both too. It's a bit like the great war war to end all wars innit?

Your av pic ewok is very fitting, redcoat and all

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

You know this is a war that is extremely worrisome in terms of loss of life on both sides, and I don't want a war but as it should be apparent to all, the provocations will not stop and we are going to face this eventually. What a sad state of affairs.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: HumanPLC
a reply to: felixjames20

I don't think he's deliberately fired at SK targets before though; isn't that essentially an act of war?

They have.

NK shelled a Island killing civilians win 2010

Same year they also sunk a SK corvette

This was before the South became fed up with the actions of the North.
Already during this we've seen the SK leader dressed in military uniform visiting the border, that's never happened before as far as I am aware.

The South has never been more determined or more forthright either, they've stated that they will hit back hard against any action, and that their military has been given standing orders to retaliate.

With the implementation of their disproportionate retaliation plan the South is making it clear that any act against it will result in harsher response.

It seems to me that the South has always tried to remain calm, dismissive, and to put up with the nonsense from the North in the hope that it will calm down again. It looks as though their patience has finally ran out and they're no longer willing to allow the North to make threats without retaliation.

Kim doesn't seem to understand this change, which means it's likely to escalate.
Personally I now think that either tonight or tomorrow we're going to see the North do something pathetic, just to rattle the cage, but that the South is then going to retaliate with considerable force.

I really think Kim is going to get a surprise here. He probably thinks that next little playful volley of shots is going to result in the South backing down, but he's going to get a considerable smacking instead. The question is then whether he continues with another retaliation or backs down himself.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

originally posted by: felixjames20
its the same nonsense every year

How many times has the North fired at the South?
How many times has the North moved military assets?
How many times has the North made statements putting their military into preparedness?
How many times has anything been taken seriously by the South?
How long has the South had a policy of disproportionate retaliation?

We all know that NK is a ranting madman, but this is absolutely different to the usual ranting from NK.

A lot has changed and a lot is different this time. It's not just business as usual from the North and this should not be simply dismissed as yet more bluster. The two sides have not faced off like this for a damn long time.

Didn’t they exchange a little fire last year, over some propaganda balloons
A year before “Little Un” rocked up there was that fiasco over a torpedo sinking a SK warship
When he did come into power, it was only 5 minutes before there was another border shouting where a few peeps died
Oh and can’t remember when, but it wasn’t that long ago the North shelled that SK island

Look back before “little un” and it’s the same nonsense year in year out

I give this at most a week before it all dies down, and give it till November and he be kicking off again

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

My bad mate... Mind you, i have to admit im no expert on this, im learning more about this situation and its history as the thread goes on, lol.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Mr. Un may have been wiser to use active sound reduction - using an opposite sound wave to reduce the intensity; thereby reducing the audience.

Shooting at speakers - not that intelligent.

I would just build my own 'superior' speakers and blast Rick Astley at them 24/7 ...

2c.

Eta: An invasion of NK would be futile. The population need to rise up.

A civil war is needed to restore any hope of a free - united Korea. Kimmy must be ousted from within.

The population hate the US and all of its allies - any incursion into NK would be taken as proof of the propaganda that has carried across generations.
edit on 21-8-2015 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I pretty much agree that this needs to happen, and I didn't think I would ever feel that way about any war - aside from dealing with ISIS.

The consequences of doing nothing are too dangerous.

One day, when it does happen and we take out the NK regime and walk in there with a Humanitarian effort, I know we're going to discover scenes reminiscent of Nazi psychopathy.

We all know it, we all feel it, we're going to go in there and discover some of the most disgusting abuses of Humanity the world has ever seen, and then collectively the world is going to have to deal with the guilt for doing absolutely nothing for so long, even while so many were warning us all about what they have seen there.

I don't know if I'm just convincing myself into supporting this, but I kind of hope the US and SK are provoked into dealing with Kim once and for all. I kind of hope this weekend we see a short and sharp attack on NK knocking out their leadership and their military in the most effective and efficient way possible. The only problem then is dealing with the occupation and restructuring of the country.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

It's interesting, that this situation seems to not divide the majority on political beliefs and partisan standings. Everyone or the majority of everyone stand in solidarity that this must stop at once. Usually that spells war, let's hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
edit on 21-8-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

You know this is a war that is extremely worrisome in terms of loss of life on both sides, and I don't want a war but as it should be apparent to all, the provocations will not stop and we are going to face this eventually. What a sad state of affairs.

As I said before, we should have gone in 2006 when we knew they broke the WMD deal but before they actually go a stockpile.

But we cant turn back time and the longer the world gets the more lifes lost when the world does take action.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Yes indeed, however if we are really talking about shoulds, we should of finished North Korea off in the 50s and marched the 38th parallel all the way to china, but we didn't. Asian conflicts are extremely bloody and the west has been and still is tired from the recent ones we've had.
edit on 21-8-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: Rocker2013

It's interesting, that this situation seems to not divide the majority on political beliefs and partisan standings. Everyone or the majority of everyone stand in solidarity that this must stop at once. Usually that spells war, let's hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Well it's hard to say, seeing as the UN, US, China and Japan have all urged restraint from both sides. Personally I think the South has been far too restrained for far too long. It seems, at least on the outside, that the world is more inclined to let this carry on for decades with no progress, and that clearly isn't the way to resolve things or improve the security of the region.

There is only so much talking to be done. When you have a mad man holding a knife to someones throat you can only negotiate with them for so long before you need to put a perfectly aimed bullet in his skull.

The only goal should be reunification of the North and South, and clearly that needs to be led by the South for the benefit and security of all involved. That's not going to happen as long as there is a dictator in the North.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Just following the Mirror link and it seems the US is on the move in SK, bolstering defenses in at least one border town in preparation of an offensive by the North.

So, while the US is urging both sides to remain calm, it's preparing for an attack by the North too, and preparing to assist the South.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

maybe he didn't let n Korea get nuclear weapons, or at least tried to impact their production of the stuff. a lot happened in Bush Jr's first term.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: smirkley

The problem is North Korean threats on nuclear weapons use. I truly believe little kimmy will use them on the south.

He has to get them off the ground without exploding them first..

2nd

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

I see the Americans are mobilising troops on the border, specifically in Paju.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: BobaFettish

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: smirkley

The problem is North Korean threats on nuclear weapons use. I truly believe little kimmy will use them on the south.

He has to get them off the ground without exploding them first..

2nd

We need to act to prevent him from developing that capability.

I'm actually now wondering if this might be the plan.

The US is there on exercises already, various parties are publicly making statements about both sides remaining calm, while the US is clearly moving assets in South Korea and while Japan makes noises about the North needing to be dealt with, and all while China is seemingly becoming less interested in defending NK.

Perhaps there is already a plan in place to remove him and begin the process this weekend?

Again, I loathe all war, but enough is enough already. It's about time the world went in and fixed this problem before it really does go nuclear. I actually hope this is a plan being enacted and that we have all sides on board to go in and take out that little madman.

People can criticize regime change and invasion all they like, some regimes need to be changed before they start murdering potentially millions of people.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join