It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N Korea shells S Korean border unit . South Korea retaliates .

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Update:

Kim Myong-chol, the executive director of The Centre for North Korea-US Peace - a body which sympathises with Kim Jong-un based in Japan - has warned of nuclear war. He said: "The North does not want a war, but South Korea and the US want war. So we will destroy their forces in an instant". Earlier we told you how US troops are on the ground in South Korea. He added: "It depends on the situation and the reactions of South Korea and the US, but it could be a nuclear war. The choice is up to the Americans".

So the irrational ranting continues.
If anything all he's done is encourage the opinion that we need to deal with NK now, rather than do nothing and one day see them nuke the South.

With every utterance these loons make they sound more and more dangerous, and they're seemingly just giving us more and more reason to remove them while we have the opportunity.

I'll say it again, I loathe war, but I'm not naive enough to think that we can deal with psychopaths like little Kimmy and his crazy state through sensible means, and doing nothing will only embolden them.

A part of me hopes the North does target those sites (although hopefully with no casualties involved) so that we then have the excuse to remove this threat before it becomes something far more sinister than it has been so far.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Another update:

A North Korean military official said a meeting of senior party and defence officials led by Kim Jong-un have "reviewed and approved the final attack operation".

This is interesting, but more telling is the next statement:

He suggested human error might have been a factor on the South Korean side and said the South's decision to retaliate with its own barrage was dangerous and rash.

Looks like the North is already trying to back down. They're offering a way in which the South can take "blame" for this and prevent any action being taken, which of course is something the South is not likely to accept.

Even though it's pretty stupid and quite weak, it does show that not everyone in the North is so prepared to go to war, and it doesn't look like they're that confident about their supposed "attack operation".

I think there's still an opportunity for the North to back down here, and that's entirely plausible given their history of ranting insanely before doing nothing.

I think we're probably going to be seeing a lot of confusing statements coming out of NK for the next few hours, the question is really whether Kim has the spine to do what he threatens when the South ignores them.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
In reply to Hutch re that article, posting a snippet any anyone interested.

The Mirror - NK live updates

The Scud middles that South Korea believe the North is preparing to launch this morning will target 11 sites, according to intelligence sources in the South.

Locations where loudspeakers are situated on the Southern side of the border will be targeted after the North accused its rival of broadcasting 'anti-North Korea propaganda'.

South Korea has confirmed that it expects to be attacked, and insists that it will retaliate.

Text bolded by me.

That bit worries me.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I don't see this ending well for the Korean peninsula. Either nuclear contamination or more Western influence, sure to make China much more aggressive. I hope it is a limited exchange with no civilian casualties.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus
a reply to: 2wheelvet

Cheers for the boots on the ground report! I had read that the US were conducting operations/training in the vicinity but obviously specifics and locales could not be given.

Are the loudspeakers pretty annoying?

Also confused now. The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) said there was a 48hour deadline to stop the loudspeakers (ending at 5pm local time on sat), but then British media were reporting that the deadline was today at 5pm local time. Can you tell us what was what?

Cheers again!

My little report isn't very useful, I know just as much as all of you who analyze all the different news reports. I can't put out too much of our specifics(we actually have soldiers in trouble for this now).

As for the speakers, no I am not near enough to them to hear, however I have been to the DMZ many times in the past, and am sure if I went now I'd hear them.

When things happened, we were stripped of communication devices, so we had no news. We were briefed on a 48hr deadline for the South to apologize. Yesterday leading into this morning was a long day for us, up for over 28 hours.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Question... I know lots of employees cross the DMZ for work. Is that still happening at the moment?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

As for the speakers, no I am not near enough to them to hear

Hmm if they fire rodong 1s you might be safer being closer to the speakers .

The main characteristics of the Rodong are a range of 1000 km and a CEP estimated at 2,000-4,000 m,

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

Yes i read that there are a few workers over there at the moment although i cant link . Apparently there are junior soccer teams there as well .

ETA . The soccer teamare in Pyongyang not the industrial area .

www.wsj.com...
edit on 21-8-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Well, if Fox News means the opposite. and you forget about the third force that secretly and under cover of lies fighting for both sides, or rather against both sides and therefore never loses it's 6000 summer war with Aboriginal of earth
edit on 21/8/15 by mangust69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
This is it, the point of no return. War within the weekend? NK ambassador in Beijing warned the situation goes towards a war. First conventional, then who knows what.

If officially NK has some 12 - 22 nukes, multiply it by 10 to get the real numbers.

A miracle can still save the world from WW3. But it has to happen NOW. Post factum grace and miracle won't help.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mangust69

Well, if Fox News t2.gstatic.com...:ANd9GcRxsv_oFP-433DagHs_aMb0P7Ew9VBBDfHe7plTWs071LGVZunO means the opposite. and you forget about the third force that secretly and under cover of lies fighting for both sides, or rather against both sides and therefore never loses it's 6000 summer war with Aboriginal of earth

What the hell was that about . And i am positive i am not clicking that link .

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: 2012newstart
This is it, the point of no return. War within the weekend? NK ambassador in Beijing warned the situation goes towards a war. First conventional, then who knows what.

If officially NK has some 12 - 22 nukes, multiply it by 10 to get the real numbers.

A miracle can still save the world from WW3. But it has to happen NOW. Post factum grace and miracle won't help.

Officially?
North Korea is estimated to have enough material for 6 Nuclear weapons, but it doesn't have the capability to launch them.

There is no "official" statement of their capabilities, only what the rest of the world knows from intelligence and estimates of their weaponry and nuclear progress.

People really need to stop believing the NK hyperbolic bs they like to scream, the only way they could nuke the South would be if they drove a truck across the border.

This will not become a Nuclear event.

All eyes are on NK right now. Even if they did have the capability, the moment the US and the South saw a missile they would bomb the crap out of Pyongyang and the launch site within an hour. This is not a Nuclear power like the US or Russia, they have no capability to stealthily launch anything.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Not this again, this lunatic kicks off 3 or 4 times a year.

He’s not going to do anything; it’s just from time to time he likes to let the world know he is here

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: felixjames20

like the boy who cried wolf.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I think the difference is that this time, he's gone further than the usual harsh words and rhetoric.

edit on 21/8/15 by HumanPLC because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: felixjames20
Not this again, this lunatic kicks off 3 or 4 times a year.

He’s not going to do anything; it’s just from time to time he likes to let the world know he is here

While I would normally agree with this suggestion, there is still the possibility for an accidental escalation or a spiraling out of the control of Pyongyang.

There is a belief that senior military figures in NK are not happy with maintaining the status quo and are itching for war with the South. If any one of them wants to escalate things they could use this as an opportunity to do so.

All it takes is one person in NK to shoot, and the whole thing then spirals out of control. The South has started a policy of disproportionate retaliation, meaning that for every one shot the North fires they will fire back with up to 5 times as much force.

It's also important to consider that previous provocations by the North have generally not gone this far. They mouth off or make threats, then retreat back to the diplomatic table (usually to get their treats, which then keeps them quiet for a while). When you have nations actually moving hardware and troops it's an entirely different level of threat.

The South now has weapons aimed at various NK positions, and they are waiting for that first shot. The moment the North fires anything the two sides are again at war.

Will Kim do it?
I don't know. I would like to think he wouldn't and that he's currently looking for a way to back down without losing face, but I'm not entirely sure he has all of his military under his control.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Stay safe brother - I'm hoping this is just Mr. blowhard in the north trying to be relevant, and not actually start lobbing scuds.

I am going to reach out to a family member who works in the joint command in the Pentagon and see if they have any updates / let you know what I hear.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: HumanPLC

Really??

Last year alone he tested ballistic missiles, done a few cyber attacks and crashed a few drones into the south - He tests missiles every year, usually followed by some "burn Seoul to the ground" speech

its the same nonsense every year

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: felixjames20
its the same nonsense every year

How many times has the North fired at the South?
How many times has the North moved military assets?
How many times has the North made statements putting their military into preparedness?
How many times has anything been taken seriously by the South?
How long has the South had a policy of disproportionate retaliation?

We all know that NK is a ranting madman, but this is absolutely different to the usual ranting from NK.

A lot has changed and a lot is different this time. It's not just business as usual from the North and this should not be simply dismissed as yet more bluster. The two sides have not faced off like this for a damn long time.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I don't think he's deliberately fired at SK targets before though; isn't that essentially an act of war?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join