It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun like 'stone' on mars

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It reminds me of the object that is ejected from the egg sack in the movie Aliens at first glance strange indeed.

Alien

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Wtf is this sh#t? Is this the tentacle alien we always dreamed about?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The image that is being presented as being a crab is not the image on NASA's site.

This is a zoom of the actual image, which I've increased to 300 dpi and adjusted the brightness levels. Nothing else:

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
There's a lot of hub-bub about whether the original was somehow altered into the one circulating the web that is crisper and defined.

I went to the MSL Curiosity website, downloaded the original, extracted the area and question and resized to do an overlay.

The first one is from the original, unaltered except in size:

The second one here is with the one on the web that has been enhanced, as a fitted overlay.

The choice is yours.

Have a nice day

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
i found an original black and white picture on the mars nasa website, OP didnt change it much...

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Has anyone done a joke on spiders from Mars yet? I didn't check all 9 pages, but if not should I make one? Has anyone contacted David Bowie for a comment? I mean, how could he know that there are spiders on Mars, 43 years before this picture was taken? I thought he made it all up while strung out on chrystal meth, how naive I was...

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
There are some great arguements both for and against what this rock formation could be!
It does look strange. Sorry if this is a repeat of someone else's post (haven't had a chance to look at everyone's so far!), but has anyone seen anything similar to this on our planet?

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Nice find, forward a couple days later it's in the MSM now. Letting you know if you originally made the graphic image with the red squares it's being used from FB to news sites.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ypperst

I'm not one to post on these Mars paradeolia subjects, but this looks intriguing. It almost looks like a crab-like creature hanging over its home.
Nothing in the vicinity matches this kind of weathering. Very strange.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I am no geologist but... I just can't look at this 'thing' and call it a rock.
-Why not? -
Well, if this image was from a desert or under the sea on planet Earth, the first impression would be... what? A rock?

Not quite.

On a sidenote, Seth Shostak has opened up a barrage of criticism of this image, though, for the life of me, I don't see how anyone with his (supposed) credentials, could be saying what he is saying. To call it anything without question... anything at all; alien lifeform or rock or conspiracy theory (Daily Mail) or pareidolia... is illogical because we've never found any life on any world other than our own.

We just can not, and do not know sitting a full orbital path away, looking at an image on a screen.

IMESHO, the smart thing to do, IF we are on Mars to discover anything we didn't know before, would be to go back to it and look again.

Of course, we are talking NASA/JPL and if history holds the road map...
LOL, yeah, right

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Roxxo
Well this is kind of weird, but I've been looking through the other pictures in that set and whatever that is does not appear to be there in some of the pictures. Here is the full series. The relevant images start at this date and time: 2014-08-05 13:25:25 UTC.

In this picture the tentacled hell beast, as I have taken to calling it, is visible.(This is the full size image from the OP)

In this picture, if you zoom in, said tentacled hell beast does not appear to be in the image. On the left of the image, you can make out the same location and there are no tentacle like protrusions.

Here they are zoomed in, first pic is the main image, second is the bottom right portion.

So, weird shadows? Tentacled hellspawn? Martian sunflower? Spacefaring spider crab? You decide.

***Insert Giorgio not saying it's aliens pic here***

holy wow can we talk about this some more?
like the shot being spread around the nets is pretty impressive and cool looking and not remotely the regular sort of vaguely odd looking rock we all know and love from all those Arken threads we miss so much
but it really does seem to be absent in the second image
and come on that elevates this to a whole wild other level

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Lol cnn just showed this image. I recognized it instantly, from following this thread.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: redoubt

The second image appears to show a face in the center.. Im going to go with jesus on mars. Lol jk

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Yes, the whole world is looking at the fake one now, while the real item, imaged here on ATS by editor funbox on August 10, 2014, stands by itself as an intriguing possibility of a fossil remnant (and by possibility I mean at least a 1 percent chance of it being the fossil of a long-ago living creature).

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Funbox is a legend when it comes to mars finds.
I showed one pic in particular to a few geologists i work with. I didnt tell them where the photo was taken, but it looked like an old sea bed. Both geologists said what was pictured was fossil corals. It wasnt until after i told them the origin of the photo that they said, oh who knows then.
Pretty neat rocks up there anyway.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

IS it fake? Or the same image, you are confusing me

Here is Funboxs post from 2014, it looks like the same panorama?

originally posted by: funbox
a reply to: Jonjonj

seems like it , the circular oddity in the rockface

linketh

funbox

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

originally posted by: RMFX1
a reply to: ypperst

Normally, I wuldn't respond to such threads but I'm going to make an exception this time..because..I've had enough.

For years, we've had people posting pictures of rocks that could resemble almost anything if you stared at it long enough. "Hey guys! Is this a severed finger on mars?" or "hey guys! I found a primitive vase in the mars rover pictures!"

It's BS.

There's nothing on mars exept for rocks that have been eroded in an infinite and random fashion by the weather.

That's not to say mars is not interesting. We know that it has probably and still might be home to basic life in bacteria and such, but nothing advanced enough to make anything of this nature. Move along, there's nothing to see here...unless you came to look at rocks.

Maybe you should bring your squeals to the Rant forum if a thread like this offends you so much.

Telling from the stars and flags some of us find it rather intriguing to investigate and speculate on matters that frankly, nobody here knows the answers to. And if you claim that you do have the definitive answer with no supporting evidence other then your own bias, don't expect people to take you seriously.

Back to the topic at and, it does look incredibly out of place. Almost like a fossil or some sort of fungi? Never seen anything like this before in a Mars photo, definitely strange.

Good catch OP

I think ATS should make it clear that the picture linked to here, which seems to be one which is going around the net and may have even shown up on CNN (anyone have a youtube catch of that one?), is fake. It is a tampered with image, a work of art fiction and not representative of the real picture, which -- hold on to your hats -- is important enough to talk about on its own. funbox imaged it, the real one, not the fake picture. And it is, on it's own, capable of having a 1 percent chance of being the fossil of an exomarine life from the past ages of Mars. But now some people or media critics can point and say "Fake" because of the fake picture, so ATS should instead point them to the real image, which is quite interesting to say more than the least.

the original deal, as presented in above posts:

edit on 6-8-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

The image outlined in red on the web has indeed been enhanced but it has not been altered... at least, in any way that is apparent.

I posted an overlay comparison, above:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Somebody had a far better program than I do... but simply because I cannot copy the process, I won't deny that someone else can.

edit on 6-8-2015 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: onebigmonkey
The image that is being presented as being a crab is not the image on NASA's site.

This is a zoom of the actual image, which I've increased to 300 dpi and adjusted the brightness levels. Nothing else:

Do the vertical line separations seem to be made up of several different pictures, or hazed foggy in some way, to you. Maybe it's just my screen and screen settings.

As for the one being a fake or not, I don't mean it's a deliberate hoax. Maybe someone who thinks tweaking an image to make it different from the one he or she has in front of them only enhances an image. But to some of us once it's changed, it's artwork.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

When I look at the two pictures they are nothing alike in focus. funbox's picture is out of focus when you zoom in too much, but still holds on to quite a bit of detail. The slightly/medium-to-middling enhanced picture is much clearer, and seems to create detail which is only hinted at in the original. At least that's how I'm seeing it, as a work of art, and if I'm wrong then my apologies. Which one did CNN show? I haven't seen a clip of that as yet.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join