It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 40,000 demand South Carolina remove slave memorial because it ‘shames’ whites

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: grandmakdw

But we aren't. We, White people, are not blamed for everything, or are we blamed for all of the problems that Black people have.

You're exaggerating and projecting your personal opinion onto the rest of us.

(see my post above)

Yea right Gryph. But your off the hook anyway considering you have mixed ancestry. Probably don't take it all that seriously considering you don't consider yourself white really. Thats your projection.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: yuppa
YA know the civil war according to the constitution was a ILLEGAL WAR. The states had every right to leave the union according to the 10th amendment. So those who say the south were traitors it was lincoln who was the traitor to the law of the land.

And Slaves and their supporters had every right to put a bullet in massa's brain for violating the We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. a part of the declaration of independence they took very seriously.

Speaking of slave supporters you've heard of John Brown, right? He decided to take action on the moral evil of slavery in Kansas. He armed himself and his sons and promptly went out and slaughtered an entire family of Southern migrants who didn't own any slaves.

Nat Turner's rebellion - most of their victims were actually women and children as the men were away that evening.

Evil in turn for evil rarely works out to justice in the end.
Seems history has a perverse sense of irony when it comes to that.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

"How does that flag equate with slavery when 95% of those soldiers did not own slaves"

You rock mate!

Well said, applause.

Kind regards. Bally

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

But we aren't. We, White people, are not blamed for everything, or are we blamed for all of the problems that Black people have.

You're exaggerating and projecting your personal opinion onto the rest of us.

(see my post above)

Yea right Gryph. But your off the hook anyway considering you have mixed ancestry. Probably don't take it all that seriously considering you don't consider yourself white really. Thats your projection.

Not "pure" enough for you Log?

Not surprising.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

I'm sorry, your post is filled with generalizing and rationalizing and personal commentary ... what are you saying here?

Did you have something to say about the petition to remove the slave memorial? Or did you just want to post vapid guesses about who you think I am?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TomRiddle

a reply to: yuppa

Yeah, except you didn't focus merely on President Lincoln, but upon the idea of secession, which has been conclusively demonstrated to be null, both by rule of law and by conquest.

I love it how Liberals like you, on the one hand spout off on how war never accomplishes anything, and on the other point to the Civil War as the deciding factor in the issue of secession. Decided by conquest? Lincoln refused to allow the issue to go to the Supreme Court because he knew he could never get a favorable outcome. Like him, you're a huge hypocrite.

That reminds me of how the North passed a law in 1861 allowing slavery forever in the Union in an attempt to entice the South back. YES THE GREAT EMANCIPATOR SIGNED OFF ON THAT IN 1861.

I think Southerners should move up North, tell you how to live, and tell you how you're allowed to honor your dead ancestors.

Hey, thanks for posting your manifesto about "what you think liberals believe."

Now, are you ready to deal with reality, rather than the fantasies you've conveniently concocted and listed out here?

No one here has ever said "war doesn't accomplish anything."

I've never said anything like "the Civil War was the deciding factor in the issue of secession" mainly because, well, that's irrational.

Let me remind you of a bit of history: secession first, then Civil War. Cause and effect.

... and not that it's true in any way, but I really don't mind being compared with President Lincoln in your rhetoric. Thanks.

Are you talking about the Corwin Amendment??? Are you kidding or do you really just not know it is?

First of all here's the text of it:

No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State.

This was a last ditch effort on the part of many in Congress (which President Lincoln approved) to entice the Southern states to return to the Union. Notice that the text is primarily "reinforcing" the idea of States' Rights, with the secondary effect to make the divisive issue of slavery a matter for EACH STATE TO DECIDE. (the 'Ghost' Amendment)

This was to AVOID war and keep the Union together. Also, as opposed to the way you're trying to twist it to fit your argument, the Corwin Amendment clearly demonstrates that the main cause of the Civil War was the disagreement over slavery.

When Lincoln was supporting it, we can't say whether he was "supporting slavery" or not ... what we can say is that he was supporting, at least as a political measure, the right of each State to make its own decision about the issue.

Dude ... I'm native Georgian. I'm not telling anyone how to honor their "dead ancestors." But the fact of how the Stars and Bars has been used in modern times ... is just a fact. No one mind controlled the South Carolina Legislature ... if you don't like what they did, take it up with them.

They know what that flag means, flying on the State House grounds. /shrug

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Is it just me or have other people noticed since Obama came to power the cold war has started again, unrest in the US , Jew "bashing" is back. A world at war

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: imod02
Is it just me or have other people noticed since Obama came to power the cold war has started again, unrest in the US , Jew "bashing" is back. A world at war

You mean since Mr. Obama became the duly-elected President of the United States?

And, just to be clear, are you saying the Mr. Obama, on his own, rekindled the Cold War?

There was no "unrest" in the US prior to 2008?

When did "Jew Bashing" or any other kinds of bashing actually stop, again?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, if you do!

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Why?

I've done nothing to be ashamed of.

This memorial can not possibly shame me. ...and I'm about as white as it gets.

This is just about stupid. Protesting a memorial to something we all find reprehensible... Really?

Because it "shames"? How can it shame someone a century and a half later...unless they're really, really old.

(post by Logarock removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66
My 2 coppers worth.

My beef is when a racial event happens you should calm people down first...That way a rational discussion can occur.. Making a speech a few hours later covering a lot of the bad that has happened to a racial group will only enflame tension.

The next step is you have to point out and hold up people of all colors coming together to speak with one voice against that act, so people know what the right path is (yes some folks are that dumb and need to be hit with a clue bat).

Haven't seen much of that from him either... He should be chastising all the news for focusing on just the bad... Instead of chastising 1 reporter for asking a tough question.

It's called being a leader... He's a horrible leader.
Eta these 40k people are stupid, and I really hope they don't breed.

edit on 19-7-2015 by Irishhaf because: Fricking auto correct

edit on 19-7-2015 by Irishhaf because: I hate my phone

edit on 19-7-2015 by Irishhaf because: Final thought

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
This thread is the gift that keeps on giving

I must be a sick bastard for laughing at this stuff...

No joke, I've read some funny sh1t!

What saddens me is that rampant thinly veiled racism and support for slavery and segregation is the "in thing" for many members on here and many other social media forums. We have become exactly what THEY want. We are being laughed at by the world...

Nevermind the man behind the curtain, I will continue being a desensitized psychopath who thinks this BS is funny as # for the simple fact that such trivial shenanigans has divided a whole nation just because of misguided ignorance.

Go sign your pro-slavery petition and sport your flag.

# your pretend free speech.

If I were to fly my ancestor's flag I would be banned...

Only difference is I am not a hate filled biggot who possesses nostalgic memory for my barbaric ancestors. Most of us all should be ashamed of our ancestors because most of our ancestors did horrible things that we criticize other cultures in history for. It does not mean we should feel guilty but if you feel a sense of historic connection with slavery and genocide then you need to check yourself and look in mirror before you pretend not to be a racist biggot.

Many of us are hypocrites for condoning our ancestors crimes since they were simply "born into it" but we look at other people who have done the exact same as if they are the low point in history.

Shame on us all.

I still think it is funny!!
edit on 19-7-2015 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Hell I think we should just Remove Everything and
let the Trees and Grass grow.
Maybe then we could look at each other as People and
not a Color.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluesman462002

not a Color.

That'd be nice.

Maybe one day. . . . .

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluesman462002

not a Color.

Hippie tree hugger! I kid I kid. But yeah...this would be nice. Think we can do it? Maybe we'll get to a point where we've mixed it all up so muh it won't matter anymore.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I wonder what's going to happen when the world police start to eat themselves. Do you think our enemies will sit back and watch? Or will they see it as a window of opportunity? What's more important, your petty point scoring, or the stability of your country?

These people never really gave a damn about America though, if they did they would be more careful in allowing their petty emotions destabilize it. This is their legacy, its what they have historically stood for. This is what they've been keeping alive all these years. They will selfishly re-activate it with no consideration for the larger climate we live in.

Amurca hates moderation and common sense.

edit on 07am09am312015-07-19T09:34:20-05:0009America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Those who signed that SHOULD feel shame.
If they are honest, intelligent, and aware...
a reply to: ~Lucidity

edit on 19-7-2015 by starswift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Thumbs up for the copy and paste treatise.

Whatever point you are trying to make can be summed up in two simple words: common sense.

The lack of common sense is the problem, there is no need make a complicated issue more complicated.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: real_one

Jenny Horne

This lady gets it, she is none other than the great granddaughter Of Jefferson Davis and a Republican to boot so we could not be more opposite on the political spectrum, but this she got .
incidentally I am wondering given her last name if she and her fam are somehow related to the diva Lena Horn, this could be uncovered if we had a History Forum... c'mon ATS brass give us the history forum pretty pls

edit on 19-7-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join