It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 40,000 demand South Carolina remove slave memorial because it ‘shames’ whites

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: EverydayInVA

Anecdotal evidence aside, let's be real for a second. We aren't talking about the people you know, nor the situations that you personally are aware of. Also, White priviledge does not suggest that other races cannot succeed, or that all White people are bad, or that White people are to blame for everything.

The fact remains, however, that we are and have been in the vast majority since this country was born. We own the businesses, we hold the political offices, we dominate administrative positions ... there are, by far, more White people in national government (Congress), State government, etc., even more than our population advantage would suggest.

You see no difference in the way White people are treated by law enforcement as compared with any other racial group?

You see no difference in the opportunities available to the average White person as compared with any other racial group?

Again, privilege does not mean "everything is the fault of White people" as has been suggested here. But rather, only that we as a group (not, necessarily as individuals) have more social clout and are typically treated differently than others.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lindarm
a reply to: Gryphon66What's next, Mount Rushmore, or are ya gonne dig up my family graves because the last name is Lee? They are going to dig up General Forrest's body along with his wife's and relocate in Memphhis. I say stuff your sorehead, poor me . enough is enough. grow up.

Okay, that's what you say. You don't see the Stars and Bars in your face as a visible symbol that you are to remain separate because of the color of your skin. That is the basis of the "bring back" of the battleflag in the 50s.

I'm not sure what stuff my sore head, poor me, etc. means. I haven't advocated here for anything to be changed, but I have pointed out the facts about why the Confederate Battle Flag is not merely "a part of history."

I'm not aware of any designs on Mount Rushmore. I haven't heard that Virginia has any designs on the Lee family's remains.

So ... maybe take your own advice, stop getting your knickers in such a knot ... the people of South Carolina CHOSE to take down the flag. The people of Memphis are choosing to move Forrest's remains.

If you want to try to dictate what other people can do, based on your own beliefs ... have at it.

Don't blame the people who are merely telling you the truth, however.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Never thought I would live to see the day that in 2015 people are actually trying to rekindle the most bloodiest war in American history.

Didn't turn out too well the last time.

Sure the hell isn't going to turn out well this time.

Guess some people haven't learned a damn thing from history since they are hell bent on repeating it.

You have got to be kidding here, or do you think we don't remember anything longer than you do.

Should we go pull out your pontificating about States' Rights, the right of secession, or the right of nullification?

Yeah, it's the folks here who are "rekindling" the Civil War because of stupid racist BS from the 1950s.

Come on! Have some personal dignity.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

The Tenth Amendment says nothing about secession.

The Tenth Amendment is part of the Constitution, a document which brought States together into a Nation.

Your "point" is an old mistake, that was settled almost 140 years ago, conclusively.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: yuppa
YA know the civil war according to the constitution was a ILLEGAL WAR. The states had every right to leave the union according to the 10th amendment. So those who say the south were traitors it was lincoln who was the traitor to the law of the land.

And Slaves and their supporters had every right to put a bullet in massa's brain for violating the We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. a part of the declaration of independence they took very seriously.

Unfortunatly washington and th e founders did not include them because they considered them inferior to them. They didnt consider them to be men. Im not saying slavery was OK,but the Ends didnt justify the means. At that time They were not considered men but property.

Still does not change the fact that Lincoln was the actual traitor to the United states because he went against the constitution as it was written then. HE should had been impeached for breaking the oath of office.

There was nothing in the constitution that supported Slavery regardless of how they may have felt at the time they, did not hamper future generations to include slaves and their descendants, that's why it was a brilliant document.
Lincoln was a hero although a flawed human like us all.

Lincoln in his own words was a racist actually. Look i tup he said himself the slaves were not equal to a white man. Also The 10th amendment didnt mention slavery did it? Lincoln had plans to ship away the slaves as well to liberia. the only reason the Sucession was called illegal was the south lost the battle not due to the rule of law. The WINNERS write the HISTORY,and the LAWS. Lincoln was a traitor who got what was coming to him for breaking his oath of office.

SLavery was wrong though i do agree. MAchinery was replacing slavery though. Know why?because you didnt need to feed,house or cloth them. SOuth would had eventually self deported them or freed them.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I'm sure you "kept your Confederate money" too, right?

Jeez. Talk about refighting the Civil War.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

The Tenth Amendment says nothing about secession.

The Tenth Amendment is part of the Constitution, a document which brought States together into a Nation.

Your "point" is an old mistake, that was settled almost 140 years ago, conclusively.

Its funny that the states volunteered to come into the union some states evenhave stipulations in writing they can leave if they feel abused the problem is th eUS government LIED liek they Still do today. Also they 10th states any law not specifically given to th e US government is property of the states.They didnt say you could not leave wround that time,but it wa slater amended.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I'm sure you "kept your Confederate money" too, right?

Jeez. Talk about refighting the Civil War.

Not refighting anything. Just stating Lincoln was not a saint. he was a bastard who saw a oppurtunity to execute a landgrab.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Since you're kinda massacring it, here's the actual text of the Tenth Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Nothing about law or property or ... what ever else you're claiming it says.

There is, however, within the body of the Constitution Article VI Clause 2 this notation:

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.

There is no right of secession or nullification. These are fictions that are occasionally trotted out, that have ZERO legal standing.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Yeah, except you didn't focus merely on President Lincoln, but upon the idea of secession, which has been conclusively demonstrated to be null, both by rule of law and by conquest.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Pretty soon, slavery and the time period blacks didn't have rights will be in the occult section of common knowledge. Maybe that's a good thing, it isn't the blacks that annoy me at all when it comes to stuff like this, I can understand, its the overly politically correct whites that annoy me. I don't feel there is anything wrong with being politically correct but too much of anything gets old to me quick.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Yeah, except you didn't focus merely on President Lincoln, but upon the idea of secession, which has been conclusively demonstrated to be null, both by rule of law and by conquest.

by a unlawful federal govenmrnt

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

a reply to: grandmakdw

But we aren't. We, White people, are not blamed for everything, or are we blamed for all of the problems that Black people have.

You're exaggerating and projecting your personal opinion onto the rest of us.

(see my post above)

Oh come on now. For one, you're broadly generalizing in the same way you criticize. Secondly, white people are clearly being blamed for a lot of bad things. It's constantly the media. It;s a staple of academia. You think denying the reality in front of your face makes you more enlightened?

Most of your own posts are just rationalizing and justifying the behavior you claim does not exist.
edit on 18-7-2015 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Time to get rid of Colonel Harland Sanders, KFC

What about we get rid of cotton too, I feel offended by cotton, my peoples, had's to pick that cotton as slaves, I am offended by this cotton, the Irish people's deserve better than dis.

Let us drive a stake deep into the heart of the Confederacy.

Let's kill anyone with the name Thomas or Jefferson, utO. I mean Davis, I think, who was on the slave's side . Wait Jefferson Thomas owned slave too, so him too, and take Washington off the Dollar too, And get George Jefferson off the reruns on the TV.
edit on 18-7-2015 by OOOOOO because: (no reason given)

(post by TomRiddle removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I love it how Liberals like you, on the one hand spout off on how war never accomplishes anything, and on the other point to the Civil War as the deciding factor in the issue of secession. Decided by conquest? Lincoln refused to allow the issue to go to the Supreme Court because he knew he could never get a favorable outcome. Like him, you're a huge hypocrite.

That reminds me of how the North passed a law in 1861 allowing slavery forever in the Union in an attempt to entice the South back. YES THE GREAT EMANCIPATOR SIGNED OFF ON THAT IN 1861.

I think Southerners should move up North, tell you how to live, and tell you how you're allowed to honor your dead ancestors.
edit on 18-7-2015 by TomRiddle because: .

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
"Nearly 40,000 demand South Carolina remove slave memorial because it ‘shames’ whites"

Everybody always ignores the fact that there were way more white slaves in this country than blacks and that they were for the most part treated worse and considered cheaper than black slaves.

I am not getting on a soap box, I just wish more people would do a little research into their history before taking up a cause. Remember the Mayflower from your history books? Ever wonder why they left out the part about how many of them were slaves? Yes you got it...white slaves.... or indentured servants if that makes you feel better morally.

Humanity should be ashamed of slavery.... not just a specific group. Humans are capable of unspeakable atrocities.
edit on R002015-07-19T00:00:11-05:00k007Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Yes, it is well documented Lincoln was a racist - the vast majority of the population at the time were racist, and many of those who were not, pretended to be because of the possible social repercussions. It's the banality of evil - most don't commit evil acts because they are evil, but because of social self-promotion/acceptance. It still happens to this very day.

edit - Lincoln being a racist doesn't mean he wasn't serious when he expressed that he thought human chattel slavery was abhorrent - thinking one superior to another doesn't equate to the agreement of slavery of the times.
edit on 19-7-2015 by Syyth007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
A statehouse is an office building. Let it just be that. Every symbol of anything will generate this kind of fight. I think is it Oklahoma? Still locked in the perpetual battle over the Ten Commandments stone? Just don't do these things at a capital. a reply to: ~Lucidity

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

It is the constant barrage of headlines like these
that the people in South Carolina
are over reacting to.

Q: How stupid does one need to be if they are reacting to what is spoon-fed to them via the media?

A: Very stupid.

Bob Costas Wants MSNBC To Stop Blaming White People For ‘Issues Afflicting Black America’
thedailybanter.com...

New MTV Show Hosted by Illegal Alien Shames ‘White People’ for What They’ve ‘Done’ in America
toprightnews.com...

Too Much Or Too Real? Incoming Black Professor Says White Males Are The Problem For America’s Colleges
madamenoire.com...

Why do blacks blame the white man for EVERYTRHING?????
www.topix.com...

Chris Rock Says All White People Are Responsible For Their Father's Racism and should not be allowed to inherit money
lastresistance.com...
www.inquisitr.com...
cons.com/famous-comedian-thinks-its-unfair-for-white-people-to/

Unreal...
edit on 19-7-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join