It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give me some examples of Political Correctness that you disagree with

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Saying something like "I support traditional marriage" is now considered hateful. Cities have threatened to ban or block businesses and people who donated privately to campaigns that backed it have been blacklisted from working.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: highfromphoenix

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

a reply to: highfromphoenix

He isn't dictating anything to you. He is just giving you a statement of reality. You can't change popular opinion. If popular opinion disagrees with your using a word, then that is something YOU alone have to deal with when you use it. You can either not use it or use it defiantly. But at no point are you not ALLOWED to use that word. No one will arrest you for it or fine you for it.

Okay I used the word in a post jokingly.

I would never walk up to a mentally disadvantaged person and call the person a retard.

What pisses me off is the pc baloney.

When did people become so sensitive? If you call me a name it may hurt for a moment but I brush it off and continue on with my life. Why is it some people are unable to ignore an insult?

Because it isn't a case of just ONE person calling you a name and then done. It is a case of EVERYONE using it. Constantly. We all have memories of being teased by some bully in school, who would be relentless with the abuse to the point that you didn't even want to see him anymore. Well now extend that analogy to literally your ENTIRE world. Everyone you meet calls you that one name that hurts you more than anything else. And the worst part is that many don't know they are causing harm, others DO know they are causing harm but just don't care, and the third group really ARE causing harm with it on purpose. Yet they are all literally impossible to tell apart. I don't know about you, but such a thing would certainly wear on MY nerves.

I disagree with your statement simply because we live in such a pc world.

I doubt a person is being called a name or insulted by the majority of people.

If a person insults another it's not like a horde of lunatics join in and molest the victim, at least it isn't that way where I live.

I'm talking about the pre-PC world. The reason we are IN the PC world is because of how the world behaved before the PC era. We only have our ourselves to blame for the direction society has gone.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
I know why you're mad. But I didn't want that thread to turn into a shouting match like this one will. So I refused to discuss examples .

But your thread your rules. I'm on my way to the dentist I will cite one and respond later .

Zero tolerance in schools in so far that you can't make a gun with your finger .

Zero tolerance is the easiest method to address the issue. It's also there as a security net on any questionable cases.

Now, some peoples execution of "zero tolerance" policies is more/less strict than others...but that is the case in all things.

What would be your policy about guns in school?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Frankly I'm just surprised at the lack of response.

I thought this thread was to discuss examples of PC-ness that are over the top in one's opinion.

But I realize that the examples given in the OP were about being able to call blacks the n word and call women pet names, and how political correctness prevents one from doing so.

Since my examples weren't that blatantly stupid and ignorant (I mean come on, seriously? Has anybody here actually said they wish they could call blacks the n word but that pesky PC stops them from doing it? Seriously?!?) they won't be acknowledged.

So much for discussion I guess.

Oh well.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Bit of confusion ...

Illegal Immigrant is one way of referring to people in a certain legal situation.

Undocumented Worker is another of referring to the same people.

For those of you complaining about the use of the second in place of the first ... aren't you really arguing that the second is "wrong" and the first is "right" and is preferable in light of your political beliefs?

Uh ... saywhatnow?

People were asked for examples of political correctness they disagree with.

So in this case, I disagree with using undocumented worker or immigrant in place of illegal alien. That's what the thread is about.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

No offense intended of course, I call myself Scot-Irish on occasion.

I am Irish/Scottish/Choctaw...screw trying to say that every time. I prefer the term "Hot Mess". Or just simply, "Me".

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: CB328
1. If you're white you're not allowed to say anything positive about your heritage or celebrate it in any way.
2. You're not allowed to dislike immigration for any reason, in spite of all the problems it causes.

What do you mean, you're "not allowed"? People do both of those ALL THE TIME!!! Who's stopping you?

Ah, but you can be aggressively shamed if you do it.

I see you participate in that all the time. Or am I confusing you with someone else who believes fervently in White Privilege?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Where were kids told not to say Merry Christmas?

Where the hell have you been? Didn't you know, it's "Happy Holidays" now. Get with the times.

edit on 31411America/ChicagoFri, 10 Jul 2015 13:41:28 -050031pm31190America/Chicago by tigertatzen because: sp

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I think the problem is that everyone is sooooo offended about every little thing that its draining.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Saying something like "I support traditional marriage" is now considered hateful.

That's because saying you support "traditional marriage" is just a politically correct way of saying that you don't think gays should have the right to marry.

After all, who DOESN'T support traditional marriage?

link   

Saying something like "I support traditional marriage" is now considered hateful. Cities have threatened to ban or block businesses and people who donated privately to campaigns that backed it have been blacklisted from working.

Did you have some examples of this that you could share? Just so we can all be on the same page with what you're referring to?

link   

originally posted by: villagesmithie
Demoting Pluto from a planet! Elitist, Liberal, educated, scientist, I tell ya. I'll call it a planet if I want to.

First one I think I have agreed with

link   

a reply to: highfromphoenix

He isn't dictating anything to you. He is just giving you a statement of reality. You can't change popular opinion. If popular opinion disagrees with your using a word, then that is something YOU alone have to deal with when you use it. You can either not use it or use it defiantly. But at no point are you not ALLOWED to use that word. No one will arrest you for it or fine you for it.

Okay I used the word in a post jokingly.

I would never walk up to a mentally disadvantaged person and call the person a retard.

What pisses me off is the pc baloney.

When did people become so sensitive? If you call me a name it may hurt for a moment but I brush it off and continue on with my life. Why is it some people are unable to ignore an insult?

Because it isn't a case of just ONE person calling you a name and then done. It is a case of EVERYONE using it. Constantly. We all have memories of being teased by some bully in school, who would be relentless with the abuse to the point that you didn't even want to see him anymore. Well now extend that analogy to literally your ENTIRE world. Everyone you meet calls you that one name that hurts you more than anything else. And the worst part is that many don't know they are causing harm, others DO know they are causing harm but just don't care, and the third group really ARE causing harm with it on purpose. Yet they are all literally impossible to tell apart. I don't know about you, but such a thing would certainly wear on MY nerves.

I disagree with your statement simply because we live in such a pc world.

I doubt a person is being called a name or insulted by the majority of people.

If a person insults another it's not like a horde of lunatics join in and molest the victim, at least it isn't that way where I live.

I'm talking about the pre-PC world. The reason we are IN the PC world is because of how the world behaved before the PC era. We only have our ourselves to blame for the direction society has gone.

Sure it is our fault. We are society.

I believe we both made some valid points during our little discussion.

Take care. I'll c ewe around the site.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

no, most people don't want to call blacks the N word, frankly I don't think people are as racist as TPTB would like us to believe, however there is a lot of anger now because we have been deemed as racist for these last few years.

and now everyone is in an uproar, some idiot politicians stirred up a hornets nest.

That white guilt MTV video makes me angery

link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
When someone is arrested for committing a crime. They are caught red handed. But the news outlets say alleged so and so. If a person is caught they are just plain guilty.

Here's one that annoys me:

How the media dances all around ethnicity details unless the skin is lily white. (Not that I think they are out to get white folks as much as it is they simply aren't afraid white will be offended to hear the skin color.)

Conversely, if your child ever disappears, you better hope she's an attractive blue-eyed blonde or the national press will never pick the story up. (I don't think that's so much PC as it is ... an unfortunate reality of the national press.)

link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Traditional marriage ... like King Solomon having 700 wives and 300 concubines?

Traditional marriage ... like the directive in the Old Testament that a woman has to marry her rapist?

That kind of traditional marriage?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

So anytime one uses a term somebody else doesn't like, you're automatically wrong and they're right?

Huh.

Nope...not "somebody"...but society.

Now, being against society is not always a bad thing...but in the cases we have been discussing...like wanting to call someone a retard...I think I can safely say that person is wrong.

link   

Ah, but you can be aggressively shamed if you do it.

So what? You can be aggressively shamed no matter what you do.

Or am I confusing you with someone else who believes fervently in White Privilege?

And I get aggressively shamed for it! So what??? My skin is thick. I can take it! What kind of people can't take it when others disagree?

link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen
a reply to: Gryphon66

No offense intended of course, I call myself Scot-Irish on occasion.

I am Irish/Scottish/Choctaw...screw trying to say that every time. I prefer the term "Hot Mess". Or just simply, "Me".

Lol, I hear 'ya. I'm usually only Scot-Irish around St. Patty's Day ...

Hot Mess and Me also apply.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Did you have some examples of this that you could share? Just so we can all be on the same page with what you're referring to?

Brendan Eich and Chik-fil-A. Eich was ousted when it came to light he made a small donation to the Prop 8 campaign privately years before he worked for Mozilla. Rahm Emanuel threatened to keep Chik-fil-A out of Chicago after the Chik-fil-A CEO made a statement supporting traditional marriage. Barilla pasta came under fire for saying it's add campaign reflected the traditional family.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join