It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give me some examples of Political Correctness that you disagree with

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Your microaggresive thread offends my sensibilities I suggest the mods shut it down.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
1. If you're white you're not allowed to say anything positive about your heritage or celebrate it in any way.
2. You're not allowed to dislike immigration for any reason, in spite of all the problems it causes.

What do you mean, you're "not allowed"? People do both of those ALL THE TIME!!! Who's stopping you?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FinalCountdown

What's next, bend over and stick this rice cake up my butt?

LOL what?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
To each their own though.

And should 100% of us start following that maxim tomorrow, 99% of the world's problems would have evaporated by tomorrow night.

No offense intended of course, I call myself Scot-Irish on occasion.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: highfromphoenix

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: highfromphoenix

He isn't dictating anything to you. He is just giving you a statement of reality. You can't change popular opinion. If popular opinion disagrees with your using a word, then that is something YOU alone have to deal with when you use it. You can either not use it or use it defiantly. But at no point are you not ALLOWED to use that word. No one will arrest you for it or fine you for it.

Okay I used the word in a post jokingly.

I would never walk up to a mentally disadvantaged person and call the person a retard.

What pisses me off is the pc baloney.

When did people become so sensitive? If you call me a name it may hurt for a moment but I brush it off and continue on with my life. Why is it some people are unable to ignore an insult?

Because it isn't a case of just ONE person calling you a name and then done. It is a case of EVERYONE using it. Constantly. We all have memories of being teased by some bully in school, who would be relentless with the abuse to the point that you didn't even want to see him anymore. Well now extend that analogy to literally your ENTIRE world. Everyone you meet calls you that one name that hurts you more than anything else. And the worst part is that many don't know they are causing harm, others DO know they are causing harm but just don't care, and the third group really ARE causing harm with it on purpose. Yet they are all literally impossible to tell apart. I don't know about you, but such a thing would certainly wear on MY nerves.

link   
a reply to: kruphix
When someone is arrested for committing a crime. They are caught red handed. But the news outlets say alleged so and so. If a person is caught they are just plain guilty.

link   

originally posted by: FinalCountdown
Can't call people chinaman anymore.
Can't call people crackers anymore.
Can't call Christians fanatics anymore.
Forced to use the word vagina.
Forced to use the word undocumented.

What do you mean you "can't" call people those things and you're "forced" to use certain words? Hello? What are you people talking about? Political correctness isn't something that's FORCED. It's a choice. Do you not like the freedom of choice?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoreBeer
Your microaggresive thread offends my sensibilities I suggest the mods shut it down.

Just out of curiosity, can you quote something from the T&C that would justify your suggestion?

I mean, you know, just wonderin'?

link   

originally posted by: MoreBeer

Nice.

Another form a censorship.

If you don't like what we have to say then move on to a different thread.

(#ing reta....)

link   
a reply to: DrumStickNinja

You seem to be pretty fired up - so I'm guessing this thread will go the way of you disagreeing with every post.

Pretty sure you nailed it...OP doesn't want to know what "politically correct" terms we dislike for any other reason than to use it as a vehicle by which to argue with people for having an opinion.

I personally disagree with the term "politically correct". All that means is that the term is being used while other people are watching...after that it's right back to whatever term they use when they're not being observed. It is the epitome of insincerity and artifice. I have far more respect for people who say what they really mean...even if their choice of terminology is not perhaps one that I myself would use. Which is something that I must remind myself of at times, especially when in the company of people like my housemate, who seems incapable of referring to persons of any other ethnicity than his without sounding derogatory...at least he's not being pretentious. There is that.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
When someone is arrested for committing a crime. They are caught red handed. But the news outlets say alleged so and so. If a person is caught they are just plain guilty.

Yea, it's always a good idea to let the media make assumptions about a supposed criminal's guilt. We all know THAT always works out for the best when the opposite conviction that the media has determined comes down the pipes.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

So every person arrested for a "witnessed" crime is automatically guilty? No need for a trial ... just shoot them in the street?

I'd have to admit, that does seem to be happening a lot lately ...

(#jumpinjesus)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Be a good host now and change because i find you offensive

I'm willing to accept your judgment of me if you find me offensive.

Now, if the majority of society finds me offensive, it would be in my best interest to change.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
I have two that bug me, and I'm not even a Republican,

1. If you're white you're not allowed to say anything positive about your heritage or celebrate it in any way.

2. You're not allowed to dislike immigration for any reason, in spite of all the problems it causes.

You know when I was a kid we went every year to this big celebration of our ethnic roots, all the Austrian dance and music dress and food, I wonder if that would be considered wrong now.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

They way our justice system works (or doesn't work) is that a person is innocent until PROVEN guilty in a court of law. I understand what you're saying, but there's a legal reason for the media to say "allegedly", even if a person is caught red-handed. But you and I are free to refer to them as "guilty".

link   
Wasn't there some crackdown on feeding the homeless in one state over there?
That just seemed ludicrous to me.

link   
The example of "political correctness" that I find ludicrous to the point of being intellectually appalling, is that some conservatives can't conceive that there is "PC" on all political sides ...

Kinda the definition of it being "political" huh?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: highfromphoenix

a reply to: highfromphoenix

He isn't dictating anything to you. He is just giving you a statement of reality. You can't change popular opinion. If popular opinion disagrees with your using a word, then that is something YOU alone have to deal with when you use it. You can either not use it or use it defiantly. But at no point are you not ALLOWED to use that word. No one will arrest you for it or fine you for it.

Okay I used the word in a post jokingly.

I would never walk up to a mentally disadvantaged person and call the person a retard.

What pisses me off is the pc baloney.

When did people become so sensitive? If you call me a name it may hurt for a moment but I brush it off and continue on with my life. Why is it some people are unable to ignore an insult?

Because it isn't a case of just ONE person calling you a name and then done. It is a case of EVERYONE using it. Constantly. We all have memories of being teased by some bully in school, who would be relentless with the abuse to the point that you didn't even want to see him anymore. Well now extend that analogy to literally your ENTIRE world. Everyone you meet calls you that one name that hurts you more than anything else. And the worst part is that many don't know they are causing harm, others DO know they are causing harm but just don't care, and the third group really ARE causing harm with it on purpose. Yet they are all literally impossible to tell apart. I don't know about you, but such a thing would certainly wear on MY nerves.

I disagree with your statement simply because we live in such a pc world.

I doubt a person is being called a name or insulted by the majority of people.

If a person insults another it's not like a horde of lunatics join in and molest the victim, at least it isn't that way where I live.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

no listen I came here to participate not be judged, yes If you are illegal, you are illegally, and I am the daughter of immigrants

You are a member of society, you are always judged by your beliefs and actions.

But it seems like you want to judge others, those that believe in PC terms, and be excluded from being judged yourself...very interesting.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Banning the display or wearing of U.S. flags because it might offend people.

The obsession with dividing everybody into "something-American" groups. As long as the "something" is a minority, anyway.

Calling the Fort Hood shooting "workplace violence" instead of domestic terrorism. Or just plain terrorism. Not to mention that the Army knew the shooter was in contact with radical imams and did nothing out of fear of being accused of profiling.

An Xbox gamer had his account terminated because he used the term "gay" in his account. Turns out it was part of the name of the town he lived in, and it was used when he put in his address info. But, gay is offensive, so there's that.

Shouldn't say "merry Christmas" anymore.

Switch from BC/AD to BCE/CE. Though to be fair that one I can sort of see the argument. Still strikes me as silly.

The rush to wave the race card because somebody disagrees with the President, who happens to be black. Can't be his policies, has to be his color.

I wonder sometimes if these PC terms aren't actually someone's inside joke...like the way women in the Deep South are so adept at giving what my grandmother called "backward compliments" (punctuated by "bless his/her/its heart", of course). Cutting a person to ribbons while making it sound like a positive affirmation of them as a human being.

Like the "_____-American" ones, for example. They still single a person out, still call full attention to the fact that they are "different"...but it's ok, you see, because it's got the -American on the end. Kind of like being the honorary member of some club...you don't really belong but we can all pretend like you do, as long as other people are watching.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join