It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give me some examples of Political Correctness that you disagree with

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: highfromphoenixwhy would you want to call some a retard? Are you 14

"I don't feel tardy." - David Lee Roth, Hot for Teacher lyrics And no, he wasn't talking about being late. Lighten up, Francis.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
Swedish parliament removes Baroque artist's bare breasted painting for offending feminists and Muslims

Yea, that one really, really pisses me off, but then again, its the Swedish parliament. They've been bowing down and kissing Muslim butt for years now.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I think the term you are looking for is not politically correct. It is dog whistle. You are saying that saying traditional marriage is really a dog whistle for homophobic bigot.

So, you didn't like the term that Heretic used to describe something, and you want to change it to something else that makes you feel better?

How PC of you!

edit on 14Fri, 10 Jul 2015 14:05:57 -050015p022015766 by Gryphon66 because: Dang formatting

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen
a reply to: Krazysh0t

He isn't dictating anything to you. He is just giving you a statement of reality. You can't change popular opinion. If popular opinion disagrees with your using a word, then that is something YOU alone have to deal with when you use it. You can either not use it or use it defiantly. But at no point are you not ALLOWED to use that word. No one will arrest you for it or fine you for it.

Actually, that is not quite accurate...people can be arrested for using defamatory words. It is a form of harassment, under the law. If calling someone a "retard" can be proven to have caused quantifiable harm to the person it was directed at, it can be prosecuted as a criminal act. If it is a racial slur, it can technically be prosecuted as a hate crime.

Ok, you are going to have to prove that claim with some legal precedent. It better JUST be words as the arresting offense and not words being used to classify another incident as a hate crime though.

link   
Careful what you say with something not PC

A redneck told me to go back where I came from, so I put up a teepee in his back yard. — Charlie Hill, Oneida-Mohawk-Cree stand-up comedian and actor

link   
This does bring up a good question or a few good questions.

First of all, why would anyone be upset that they can't use the N or F word or call a woman honey in the work place? That's not really political correctness it's common sense and growing up. Grow up and don't be fixated on certain things.

Then...one of my pet peeves is yes, I should be able to call an illegal immigrant and illegal immigrant. Nothing wrong with that. But in the same vain, another person has every right to call them undocumented workers and I shouldn't be upset with that as long as they're not upset with me for using the term illegal immigrants.

That brings up Merry Christmas and happy Holidays. I tend to use Happy Holidays on my window decorations and business stuff but personally I'll say Merry Christmas just as much...it's retarded to get upset with either one. We're celebrating Christmas, but also the new year and a major Jewish Holiday as well. Nothing wrong with Happy Holidays. Getting upset at Happy Holidays is political correctness turned around the other way. Just as wrong.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

..........or when I ask a gay guy if I can push his stool in. I'm trying to be polite by seeing if I can help him sit closer to the bar, I'm not asking for sex. Relax people, it's a joke.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

The alleged "war on Christmas" is a red herring. Christmas or the usage of the word aren't going anywhere.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

For those of you complaining about the use of the second in place of the first ... aren't you really arguing that the second is "wrong" and the first is "right" and is preferable in light of your political beliefs?

I don't know if "complaining" is really an appropriate description...we are answering a question that was asked, not just arbitrarily bitching and whining about a word we don't like.

Personally, it isn't about being "right" or not , to me. It is about being honest. Saying what is meant, not what sounds like a nicer way to say what is meant.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: RunForTheHills
a reply to: kruphix

Washington Redskins, Bacon offends Muslims, Merry Christmas, etc... Just a few of many.

Redskins: It's a derogatory term...is "loyalty" to a sports team really more important than not insulting an entire race of people?

Bacon: They have a right to be offended...and you have the right to not care and continue to eat bacon

Merry Christmas: I just don't see the "war on Christmas". I'm a Christian, I say Merry Christmas all the time during the holidays...I have cashiers tell me Merry Christmas, Salvation Army bell ringers say it, cops say it, teachers say it, my bosses have said it....I have even had Atheists tell me Merry Christmas. I'm sorry, I don't buy the "war on Christmas"...I think it is fake outrage over something that only exists on Fox News.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Fair enough.

Let's be more general than responses to a particular question, however.

Is it generally true that to take exception, whether passionate or rabid, with replacing one word/phrasse with another word/phrase ... the very essential issue with "being PC."

One word/phrase makes the first set of people unhappy ... the second word/phrase makes another set of people unhappy.

The "bitching and whining" occurs in both circumstances, yes?

That's my point.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
On the bright side, using some of the un-PC words has it's value. Suppose you meet someone new and hear them call someone a "retard", or use the n-word. There you go! You don't have to wonder if they are educated, kind, savvy, or anything else! Done! You know the answer instantly. So you can then run baby run!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I have a couple of problems with Political Correctness.

I was brought up to be polite, and I have no intention of deliberately offending people. But, in these PC days it seems to be assumed that I want to use offensive words unless I am made not to.

I find it as irritating as religious people coming up to me with the intention of 'saving' me. The default position is that I am in need of saving. PC default position is that I am in need of telling to be inoffensive.

Plus - what words are acceptable these days? It changes so often. I don't need random people deciding to be offended because I used a word that was correct last week but is now deemed to be offensive.

I cannot abide people who take offense where none was intended. Even a dog knows the difference between being kicked and being fallen over, as the saying goes. Worse are those who take offense on another's behalf.

I am naturally reclusive, but i am actually almost afraid to talk to people any more. Someone somewhere had really evil intentions when they imposed PC on us - divide and conquer at it's best.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
I have two that bug me, and I'm not even a Republican,

1. If you're white you're not allowed to say anything positive about your heritage or celebrate it in any way.

2. You're not allowed to dislike immigration for any reason, in spite of all the problems it causes.

I have never seen any complaints about number 1.

We have national holidays that celebrate "white" heritage. Thanksgiving, Columbus day, St. Patrick's Day and Halloween are all holidays celebrating "white heritage"...and all races join in and celebrate with us. One of Chicago's biggest holidays is St. Patrick's day...I don't see anyone mad over this.

Could you please give an example about not being able to say anything positive about white heritage?

As far as number 2, disagreeing with immigration legislation and hating immigrants are two different things. Currently what we have is a lot of people focused on hating the immigrants themselves....calling the "illegals"...calling them "rapist" (thanks Trump)...calling them any derogatory term they can think of.

Now if you want to discuss immigration policy without being derogatory towards humans looking for a better life....knock yourself out.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

That brings up Merry Christmas and happy Holidays. I tend to use Happy Holidays on my window decorations and business stuff but personally I'll say Merry Christmas just as much...it's retarded to get upset with either one. We're celebrating Christmas, but also the new year and a major Jewish Holiday as well. Nothing wrong with Happy Holidays. Getting upset at Happy Holidays is political correctness turned around the other way. Just as wrong.

I've always said "Happy Holidays" because I am aware that, not being the only person living on the planet, not everyone out there celebrates Christmas or Kwanzaa or Yule. But if someone tells me "Merry Christmas", I'll say it right back to them...even though I am not a "christian". Ditto if someone wishes me a "Happy Chanukah", I'll say it right back...though I am not Jewish either. It is the polite thing to do, and I was raised to be polite. I cannot understand why that particular issue exists either...it is just silly and unnecessary as far as I am concerned.

edit on 31182America/ChicagoFri, 10 Jul 2015 14:18:11 -050031pm31190America/Chicago by tigertatzen because: sp

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
When someone is arrested for committing a crime. They are caught red handed. But the news outlets say alleged so and so. If a person is caught they are just plain guilty.

Ummm....no.

Innocent until proven guilty IN A COURT OF LAW.

Just wow on this one.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

originally posted by: CB328
I have two that bug me, and I'm not even a Republican,

1. If you're white you're not allowed to say anything positive about your heritage or celebrate it in any way.

2. You're not allowed to dislike immigration for any reason, in spite of all the problems it causes.

You know when I was a kid we went every year to this big celebration of our ethnic roots, all the Austrian dance and music dress and food, I wonder if that would be considered wrong now.

You mean like St. Patrick's Day or Oktoberfest?

Do you see anyone claiming those are wrong?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

When someone is arrested for committing a crime. They are caught red handed. But the news outlets say alleged so and so. If a person is caught they are just plain guilty.

To be fair, he/she did say "caught red handed". That would mean being caught in the act of perpetrating the crime, which is proof and therefore there is no need to prove it further.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Saying something like "I support traditional marriage" is now considered hateful. Cities have threatened to ban or block businesses and people who donated privately to campaigns that backed it have been blacklisted from working.

Really?

I would love to see some sources on this "blacklist" that has essentially banned people from working.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: Greathouse
I know why you're mad. But I didn't want that thread to turn into a shouting match like this one will. So I refused to discuss examples .

But your thread your rules. I'm on my way to the dentist I will cite one and respond later .

Zero tolerance in schools in so far that you can't make a gun with your finger .

Zero tolerance is the easiest method to address the issue. It's also there as a security net on any questionable cases.

Now, some peoples execution of "zero tolerance" policies is more/less strict than others...but that is the case in all things.

What would be your policy about guns in school?

So do you agree with suspending a child for making a gun with his thumb and finger ?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join