It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give me some examples of Political Correctness that you disagree with

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: xXGriMe

"the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against."

Should this apply to anyone under the Constitution regardless of who you are? Political correctness is just a way to herd the people in a direction the government sees fit.

If you think about it, anything bad said directed to the government political correctness would apply. It undermines free speech. Soon we wont be able to vote because it would just be politically incorrect to vote for "insert name here".

Why? How could public opinion prevent you from voting for someone? Does public opinion currently prevent you from voting third party now? I certainly don't let the defeatist rhetoric employed to discourage third party voting stop ME from doing it.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Here's one. Honestly, is this really bad PC?

Sales lady hands guy a shirt to consider. He looks at it with it's odd color and style, hands it back, and says "too gay". If looks could kill...lol!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Did you know many Native Americans don't like the term and prefer their tribal name?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: highfromphoenix
a reply to: DrumStickNinja

Cool.

I have a problem with people expecting others to be pc.

If a statement offends you then say something.

Just because you are anal you can't expect every person to agree with your nonsense.

And at the same time, you can't expect every person to be ok with you using terms that have been deemed by society as negative.

Go ahead, use your non-PC terms...call people retards...just don't complain when you either lose your job over it, lose friends over it, or are confronted about it.

Here is a little test to see if you are in the wrong...if you know you are going to get backlash for using a certain term and you place the blame on people being too sensitive....you are in the wrong.

Perhaps I would be "wrong".

Who are you to dictate what I am allowed to say?

When did this stop being a free country?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

So you have a problem with calling them undocumented workers?

Does it really bother you that much? If so...why?

Undocumented worker accurately describes the majority of the group we are talking about. Labeling them "illegal" is deeming their whole existence as "illegal", when their only "crime" (which is more of an infraction than a crime) is crossing an imaginary line to find work in order to provide for their family.

So I guess my basic question to you is...why would you want to choose to actively insult someone with a label rather than using a term that is non-offensive?

They have been called "illegal aliens" because it is against the law for them to be working in this country when they are aliens to it and not a legal resident, and the "imaginary line" is the actual, existing border of a country that does not allow people from other countries to work and live inside it without permission. So why would you call them anything but what they are? They are not "undocumented workers". They don't just work here; they live here and are afforded everything the rest of the taxpaying legal residents of the country are, without having to pay the taxes that we do. Prettying up the moniker doesn't change reality; it just makes it sound a little less jacked up that way to some folks. You can dress a pig in a three-piece suit...at the end of the day it is still just a pig, regardless of what you dress it up in.

link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
Did you know many Native Americans don't like the term and prefer their tribal name?

Anecdotally, most African Americans I know call themselves Black, and prefer to be called Black.

link   
a reply to: highfromphoenix

He isn't dictating anything to you. He is just giving you a statement of reality. You can't change popular opinion. If popular opinion disagrees with your using a word, then that is something YOU alone have to deal with when you use it. You can either not use it or use it defiantly. But at no point are you not ALLOWED to use that word. No one will arrest you for it or fine you for it.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Stormdancer777

That's not a bad idea though. Instead of the regional prefix in front of American, how about we just call each other just American? The rest of the world doesn't make that distinction, and most of us have been here at least a generation. We are American through and through. Very few "African"-Americans in this country could move back to Africa and fit in with the locals. They stand out like sore thumbs just as badly as you or I would.

If a black guy yelled at me to call him American instead of African-American, I think I'd thank him.

can't argue with that

link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Thank you.

link   
Being from the "Good Ol South" you can call me anything you like. Just dont call me "late for dinner" ...Peace...

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I'm pretty politically incorrect in real life. I also cuss like a sailor, pretty much regularly. No one made any of this illegal, you just have to be a big boy and accept that you may get verbally assaulted back for the verbal diarrhea you are spewing.

Same here. I speak how I want to speak. I am not pressured by political correctness. I don't call people "undocumented workers" because of someone's expectations. I do it because it makes sense to me.

If others are pressured by the media telling them what they "should" say, that's THEIR problem. And it's clearly a problem with a lot of people, because I see more bitching about political correctness all the time. They don't want ANY expectations put on them to live in a polite society. Fine. I say ignore the expectations and say what makes sense to you, just don't be surprised when you get called a bigot or something.

PS. Calling someone a bigot is decidedly NOT PC! LOL! If you would rather NOT be called a bigot, you are supporting political correctness!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Washington Redskins, Bacon offends Muslims, Merry Christmas, etc... Just a few of many.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Bit of confusion ...

Illegal Immigrant is one way of referring to people in a certain legal situation.

Undocumented Worker is another of referring to the same people.

For those of you complaining about the use of the second in place of the first ... aren't you really arguing that the second is "wrong" and the first is "right" and is preferable in light of your political beliefs?

Uh ... saywhatnow?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
What's with the PC flap recently? Seems to be the latest fad on the internet and media.

As goes the media, so goes the people.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Anecdotally, most African Americans I know call themselves Black, and prefer to be called Black.

-cough cough I like both cough- Many African Americans have bought into the media narrative that Africa sucks, so some think there's a negative connotation to being "African American". I know the truth though, love Africa, and see no negative stigma about being associated with Africa. To each their own though.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I have two that bug me, and I'm not even a Republican,

1. If you're white you're not allowed to say anything positive about your heritage or celebrate it in any way.

2. You're not allowed to dislike immigration for any reason, in spite of all the problems it causes.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Zero tolerance in schools in so far that you can't make a gun with your finger .

Yup. Gun control, one way or the other, isn't my thing. I have no dog in that fight, but this kind of stuff really makes me mad. When we were kids, playing Cops and Robbers or shamelessly playing Cowboys and Indians, was a national past time, cooler than Apple Pie!

America has a fascination with guns and violence, but if our children imitate what they are constantly being fed, they're marked.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

a reply to: highfromphoenix

He isn't dictating anything to you. He is just giving you a statement of reality. You can't change popular opinion. If popular opinion disagrees with your using a word, then that is something YOU alone have to deal with when you use it. You can either not use it or use it defiantly. But at no point are you not ALLOWED to use that word. No one will arrest you for it or fine you for it.

Okay I used the word in a post jokingly.

I would never walk up to a mentally disadvantaged person and call the person a retard.

What pisses me off is the pc baloney.

When did people become so sensitive? If you call me a name it may hurt for a moment but I brush it off and continue on with my life. Why is it some people are unable to ignore an insult?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Can't call people chinaman anymore.
Can't call people crackers anymore.
Can't call Christians fanatics anymore.
Forced to use the word vagina.
Forced to use the word undocumented.

What's next, bend over and stick this rice cake up my butt?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

exactly, so people do get confused,

Remember back in the day , I was raised in diverse European immigrant neighborhood, they didn't like each other either, there was the Italians section, the polish, the German, you know what I mean.

and we all know the terms they used to greet one another , I remember people hated the Irish, and my grandfather who was Catholic hated the priest always called him a SOB, to his face LOL, but grandpa called everyone a SOB, or a gypsy, he was a character.

Bunch of folks from the old country, and most spoke their own language, my family did.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join