It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give me some examples of Political Correctness that you disagree with

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
That political correctness isn't politically correct.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

How did you get this:

Yeah, all this idea that women and Blacks have been discriminated against and are being descriminated against is just a load of liberal hooey right? Or as you like to call it, PC.

From this

Creating victims by labelling them as African Americans or as Female. The MSM and Politicians appear to think and accept that Women and African Americans aren't able to do get ahead by themselves without extra help.

Where did I say they were never discriminated against. However, in today’s day an age your sex or color has very little todo with your success. Money, education, and professional presentation has more of an impact in your success than color or sex orientation.

There are very prominent Black men and women that have proven time and time again that they have the smarts and ability to make it themselves in Today’s world.

Or are you saying that prominent Black individuals or Female individuals are where they are ,not because they were the best person for the job, but because the gov't forced corporations to hire them?

Or this:

2. Calling people racist because they don't agree with a African Americans view on topics or methodology.

Do you not recall the liberals and the MSM labelling republicans racist simply because they did not like or agree with Obama? Despite the fact ofcourse a REPUBLICAN is NOT going to Like or agree with a DEMOCRAT especially during election years.

Sometimes what I read is simply gob-smacking on this site.

You should probably stay away from reading your own posts, if it upsets you that much.

edit on 22731America/ChicagoFri, 10 Jul 2015 21:22:55 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
So many threads lately about Political Correctness and how it disgusts people, scares people, and enrages people. And yet when I comment in those threads and ask for examples of Political Correctness that disgusts/scares/enrages people...they can't seem to come up with any solid examples.

So please, let's discuss, give me some examples of Political Correctness that you disagree with and why you believe society shouldn't adhere to that particular example.

For example...are you mad that you can no longer call women "hunny" in the workplace? Disgusted that you can't use a certain N word or F word to describe a segment of society? Scared that not being able to call a mentally handicapped person a retard may take away all your freedoms?

And please note, even though all my examples above are indeed examples of Political Correctness...none of them are technically illegal (unless involved in a hate crime). The only judge who will sentence you over using the terms above resides in the court of public opinion. If you want to use those terms...go ahead...just be prepared to be looked at like an uncivilized slug.

So...for those of you against Political Correctness...let's hear some examples that make you SO against "Political Correctness".

That you cannot refer to the health impacts of particular sexually promiscuous lifestyles without being called phobic or bigoted.

That people are giving up hard won human rights law to accommodate the laws of a vocal religious minority (not to say that their law is invalid, just that we should come to mutually acceptable agreement before throwing away really necessary stuff).

That people think nothing of legislation against a minority opinion because "they are so ignorant".

That's a start.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

You spilled your beans in your first sentence. I realize that it is a point of faith with some (because it's certainly not based on facts) that we are in a post-racial, post-sexist America. The second part of that particular paradigm is that since there's no discrimination against anyone anymore there's no need for government protections (the so-called "special rights" argument). And third, of course, is that any sort of social programs ... social safety net, financial aid for education, etc. is somehow holding poorer Americans back ... by helping them and leveling the playing field a bit.

Of course there are successful Black men and women! Why wouldn't there be? There are also successful White women and men, successful Latin women and men, successful Asians, successful Pacific Islanders ... in short, successful Americans! That doesn't mean that there aren't people who still need a leg-up because of their backgrounds, help when times are tough, etc. etc. Republicans have been after social programs since the 60s. Even the total redesign in the 90s wasn't good enough.

No, I don't "remember" liberals or "the MSM" or anyone labeling Republicans as racists merely because they don't or agree with the President. What I do remember is some of the most atrocious and most overt racism directed at Mr. Obama that I've seen in my lifetime. No not all Republicans are racist ... but the ones that are want to have their cake and eat it to ... they want to make their crappy comments and then, when called on it, they want to whine that they're being victimized.

So you want to take a general comment and make it personal? Not surprising. On that note, if you think your posts are anything but bland warmed-over talking points from the right-wing media ... well, maybe don't bother yourself thinking about it too deeply. Eh?

edit on 22Fri, 10 Jul 2015 22:59:11 -050015p102015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

So you want to take a general comment and make it personal?

LOL, make it personal? I hope you don't mind me taking your quote

Sometimes what I read is simply gob-smacking on this site.

No, I don't "remember" liberals or "the MSM" or anyone labeling Republicans as racists merely because they don't or agree with the President.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.cbsnews.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

BTW, I DONT support neither the Republican or the Democrat Party, so don't think I'm party biased. Neither the Republican GOP or the Democrat DNC gives a rats @ss about anything or anyone but ensuring the Mega Corporate Oligopoly selected candidates are chosen to be their leader. They work together to make sure who ever gets in office is a team player for the Mega Corporate Oligopolies.

Bottom line: You can't get equality by giving special treatment to certain individuals.

edit on 15731America/ChicagoSat, 11 Jul 2015 00:15:24 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Nope, not making any more sense than the first time you tried to be cute with my comment.

Might be a good idea to stick to parroting Glenn Beck.

So, you link three articles about two people calling Republicans racist ... and that proves that the entire Democratic Party and all liberals everywhere were calling Republicans racist with no reason?

Swing and a miss. Also, you might want to use examples in which the Republicans involved AREN'T actually being racist; just sayin'

As opposed to the moderation you want to claim here ... after showing Mr. Beck's favorite way referring to the Democrat party (rather than the Democratic Party) and spewing nothing more than Republican talking points, well ... I'm usually of the opinion that if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck ...

If you don't support the Republicans, consider not using their rhetoric exclusively.

There is no "equality" ... but there is equity and equality before the law.

And you don't solve problems by pretending that they don't exist ... even if it is politically correct to do so.

/shrug
edit on 2Sat, 11 Jul 2015 02:31:29 -050015p022015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Does it have to be MSM?

Because right off the top of my head I can think of one member that waves the race card anytime somebody trashes Obama.

And preemptively waves it as well.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Might be a good idea to stick to parroting Glenn Beck.

If you don't support the Republicans, consider not using their rhetoric exclusively.

After showing Mr. Beck's favorite way referring to the Democrat party (rather than the Democratic Party) and spewing nothing more than Republican talking points, well ... I'm usually of the opinion that if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck ...

I have no idea what that load mouth idiot says, but perhaps of trying to make this personal or trying to put me in a republican soap box so your reality doesn't evaporate , just try to focus on the merits of the argument. I listened to him long enough to figure out he was full of B$ and that took less than one show back when he was on tv.

From your insight of Glenn Beck , I say its fair to assume that you are one of his listeners?

Honestly, trust me I truly believe the Republican party , Bush, Reagan , and Every current Republican equally sucks as much as their democrat equivalent. Neither party is for the consumer and are just tools by the Oligopolies to get their candidates elected. So again try to focus and discuss on merit and not party association.

Secondly, I was not born in this country and I came here with my family with nothing and was on welfare for a few years. We were lucky enough to get an ahead to where we are currently today . So I'm not against helping people.

What I'm against is helping CERTAIN type of people, either you need help or you don't: your color or sex shouldn't be part of the equation.
edit on 59731America/ChicagoSat, 11 Jul 2015 08:59:03 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

/yawn

So it's pure coincidence that you're repeating Beck's arguments, terms, etc. verbatum?

LOL ... okay, while utterly against the laws of probability, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Hey with your luck with the rules of chance, maybe buy a lottery ticket!

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Does it have to be MSM?

Because right off the top of my head I can think of one member that waves the race card anytime somebody trashes Obama.

And preemptively waves it as well.

"MSM" was interupt's choice of words.

They asked me if I believed that all liberals and all MSM were labelled racist because they didn't "like" Obama or agree with his policies.

I responded to that in the negative.

Do people "use the race card"? Yes, all the time, on both sides of the argument.

Though I often fail, I try to focus on the facts of a given matter, because everyone has their cross of "belief-based nonsense" to bear.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Nowadays "political correctnes" usually means "let's screw a million of decent enough, reasonable/grown up enough and smart enough people, because a hundred people are too immature to mind their own business and will get offended if you don't obey their will". Enough examples were already given. Political "correctness"? Looks to me like political incorrectness towards the decent people who haven't lost common sense. Of course, we aren't allowed to get "offended" (And for really fgood, not ridiculous made-up reasons). If we get offended for political incorrectness towards us, then we are racists, bigots, fascists... Yea, war is peace, up is down.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mkpetrov
Nowadays "political correctnes" usually means "let's screw a million of decent enough, reasonable/grown up enough and smart enough people, because a hundred people are too immature to mind their own business and will get offended if you don't obey their will". Enough examples were already given. Political "correctness"? Looks to me like political incorrectness towards the decent people who haven't lost common sense. Of course, we aren't allowed to get "offended" (And for really fgood, not ridiculous made-up reasons). If we get offended for political incorrectness towards us, then we are racists, bigots, fascists... Yea, war is peace, up is down.

The "decent people" ... oh, you mean The Real America? Let me guess, do they live in Red States?

How have you been "screwed" personally by this hundred people you're alluding to? Give examples.

Whose will are you "obeying" rather than your own? Any specifics?

Are you a racist or bigot or fascist? Because if you are, it doesn't really matter whether someone told you so or not.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

So it's pure coincidence that you're repeating Beck's arguments, terms, etc. verbatum?

LOL ... okay, while utterly against the laws of probability, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt

Again, I just told you that the republican party sucks and yet you still think I'm for the republican party? If you like you can go through my posts and you will fine that I equally dislike both party.

I have no Idea what your Glenn beck says about the issue so I can't comment on what he says.

It appears to me from your responses and determination to label me a republican that you might be conditioned by the MSM and are having a hard time thinking for yourself on the issues. Little advice leave politics out of the equation when you want to get to the truth of the matter.

Hey with your luck with the rules of chance, maybe buy a lottery ticket!

My education , expertise, determination , and critical thinking is what allowed me to become a successful engineering consultant. My race did not hinder me from my persistence to overcome hurdles nor was luck the main focus for my career.

Again, try to stick to the point and try to argue on merits and not political party association:

What I'm against is discriminating by helping only CERTAIN type of people in todays world, either you need help or you don't: your color or sex shouldn't be part of the equation. There are plenty of people regardless of color , race, or whatever that need help.

I hate to tell you but a white guy born in the ghetto or living in a trailer park does not have a privileged life. Nor does a white middle class guy compared to a black middle-class female. The biggest discrimination in America today is MONEY and CLASS WELFARE .
edit on 10731America/ChicagoSat, 11 Jul 2015 14:10:52 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Bit of confusion ...

Illegal Immigrant is one way of referring to people in a certain legal situation.

Undocumented Worker is another of referring to the same people.

For those of you complaining about the use of the second in place of the first ... aren't you really arguing that the second is "wrong" and the first is "right" and is preferable in light of your political beliefs?

Uh ... saywhatnow?

It depends if it is undocumented worker could be a person that works under the table but still a citizen. An undocumented alien is kind of the same except they are here illegally.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I agree with the guy who said you can't say "retard" anymore - a word which, by definition, literally means slow. It was the first thing to come to my mind. Sometimes something is just f'ing retarded - like every counter argument made about his post.

But I digress. There are 2 things that have really bothered me for a long time - a public ban on two specific words. When I was growing up, if someone called you a "faggot", it had absolutely nothing to do with your sexual orientation. No one I have ever known was called a "faggot" because of how they preferred to utilize a penis. However, that word is officially considered off-limits, and the slightest utterance of it will get you banned from nearly any social gathering.

The second word, and the one I find more frustrating, is the word "'n-word'". If a news report is on, and the newscaster must say something like "There is a public outrage over President-Elect Mitt Romney, after calling several NAACP members 'n-word's." The newscaster will not be able to say the actual word. They must instead replace the word with "n-word". Now, let me be clear, I consider the word to be quite rude and I can easily see how a person can be offended when they are called a 'n-word'. But the simple fact that we can't even refer to the word in passing by its proper name, I just find utterly ridiculous. We all just pretend that racism doesn't exist. It's just a fairytale, and only a heathen would dare speak such a word aloud.

As a final note, I don't know if I'm even allowed to say these words on this forum... but how can you have a discussion about PC without using terms that are... well, non-PC?

Edit: WOW. After making my post, the forum code literally went through and changed every time I put n**ger into "n-word". Good job, PC police. You officially win. If you don't believe me, just try it. I'm flabbergasted.
edit on 15-7-2015 by MrSensible because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Having to call black people "African American" just because they are black. When they most likely have never even been to africa. I have a "real" African American friend, and guess what?... he is WHITE!

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
...reminds me of the time I went out on a date with a 'personage of the opposite sex' who had in the last week, broken their ankle...she was struggling with one of her proxy supports, as she sat at the table...

Me: 'Do you want me to hold your crutch'

Her: Roundhouse across the table - date over!

Å99
edit on 15-7-2015 by akushla99 because: Correct

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

give me some examples of Political Correctness that you disagree with and why you believe society shouldn't adhere to that particular example.

When you make it taboo to say a word, ANY word, you give it power. That doesn't mean we should accept folks swearing in normal conversation, because those words SHOULD have power. But, if you make hate words taboo, you make them powerful, the power to wound. It's why words like Cracker, etc. never worked for white people. Caucasians (screw it, White People) simply laughed it off, and never made terms taboo. Whether the F word or N word (or other words for groups of people), making them taboo is just perpetuating the problem. Instead, let folks say it, and showcase their ignorance. (and, it doesn't help when some groups use the terms themselves, just to confuse it, and this isn't just the N word folks).

Just like we can't say "white" or "black" or "Asian", really? Those are the terms we grew up with. Nobody had an issue with it then, why now?

This whole Confederate flag business is retarded (and yes, it's also dumb that it isn't PC to say "retarded"). C'mon, any sane person knows whether or not you're actually talking about genuinely retarded people. The Civil War wasn't about slavery. It was about State's rights. (and there was slavery in the North too). The flag is part of history, not a symbol of hate. Even most slave owners didn't HATE their slaves. Now, slavery is just plain wrong, no doubt there, but if we're going to hate on history, we should at least get our facts straight.

Everyone really just needs to get a bit thicker skin about it.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I made a post earlier but decided to delete it because I didn't want to be provocative or insensitive but - I'll ask now.

NAACP - abbreviation for National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Presumably when the association was formed the term 'coloured people' was acceptable? But now we have people such as Benedict Cumberbatch getting into trouble for using that term.

How is one supposed to keep up? If the term is used simply to describe someone and is not meant offensively why does there have to be such an outcry about it when organisations such as the NAACP exist and don't appear to think it necessary to change their name?
edit on 15-7-2015 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: highfromphoenixwhy would you want to call some a retard? Are you 14

I remember a time when people accurately referred to it as "mental retardation". Within that context it was appropriate to refer to someone as "retarded", or simply "a retard". It was all correct and fine, and everyone moved on about their lives. Or at least that's how it was before somebody's emotionally driven mom got all riled up and brought out the ol' sugarcoat paintbrush (I'm presuming).

You know, "mentally challenged" can be and often is used derogatively. Let's just call it what it is -- retardation, and move along. Little Jimmie is better, stronger, and date I say wiser for knowing that about himself. Everyone grows when they come to recognize a weakness in themselves.

Political correctness only creates more division and more resentment on all sides of the fence. It teaches us to coddle groups of people because certain topics, words, or symbols might offend and/or just hurt their feelings. Then people laden to constantly wear their emotions on their sleeves, and before you know it an entire country can become stuck in limbo.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join