It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MTV's new show "White People"

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: JadeStar

Kinda, except each video was about 3-5 minutes long. Palladia consists largely of long form (45+ minute) live shows, which is great when you have a great live act, and booooorrriiiing when you are watching (and listening to) a bunch of noodlers.

That's sounds nice. But now we have Youtube for that.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
a reply to: TonyS

I can't even read this with a straight face. It's oozing with something that I can't quite name.

A reality check for you...

All youth would be wise to take a look at what their future in the U.S. will be. It doesn't matter what race they are, they are in for a world of shat regardless. The divide that you seem to be promoting here will just make that world far worse than it would be already. Why foster that? Why foster ignorance and hate where none should be?

Don't bother with an answer as I suppose the questions are rhetorical in nature.

FWIW: I'm 20 and I have friends of just about every shade to the point where we tend to not even think about it unless some situation warrants it. But we are in Seattle so it's kinda a diverse place with fairly progressive people. I don't necessarily think it represents the entire country, but then again neither does Charleston, South Carolina.

As for the future, I am an optimist.
edit on 10-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Problems of racism against white americans is something I am knee deep in at the moment, and I feel that there are issues in there that could be addressed.... though I have no idea how that could be done effectively. I suspect that shows like this will unfortunately be eaten up by the youth in other countries.

Here in France, Jerry Springer was a big thing for a while - you can imagine the ideas it gave the public about americans (specifically those with lower incomes and unable to actually travel themselves). The kids here eat up the dumb american "reality shows" - again putting emphasis on the superfical idiocy of americans.

I am the middle of a uproar at the hospital I work at right this moment - my husband is muttering and pacing, ready to go kill someone, and I am trying to keep him under control.

I have repeatedly had people at that hospital treat me with outbursts of hostility at first sight - as I walk in, before I say a word, without any reason. It has been so common, that I have been assuming that is just how french people are, and I just lack the experience and strength of character to respond to it.

But each time, the behavior strikes the (french) observers also, as completely irrational and shocking. I've had onlookers yell out in my defense, had people defend me either right away, or in other ways behind the scenes (and without my demanding it). I just keep thinking I need to suck it up, or figure out how I am provoking these reactions.
My most recent hypothesis has been body language - I must have a way of holding myself or walking that is provokes offense. I repeatedly reject friends and coworkers perceptions that I am a victim... I assert that one way or another, I am responsible for this.

Recently, the director of the human resources, who I had never met, and apparently knew nothing of me, met me with another one of those hostile yelling insulting behaviors. The people around were shocked, and even more so that he fired me upon seeing me walk in, without any reason or explaination. I said okay, thank you and I am sorry if I inconvenienced you somehow (bangs head on wall- can't get rid of the american habit of saying sorry and thank you every time I speak).

I left, but apparently a whirlwind of complaints from his secretaries who witnessed it, calls flying back and forth, my immediate superiors and the syndicate rushing to my defense, and the head director of the hospital stalking into his office all happened the day after. He had his hands slapped, I guess, because his secretary called yesterday and asked me to meet with him again.

He greeted me with rudeness, but attempted his best version of an apology by explaining "You see, I don't like americans. I grew up in a town that had an american military base in it."

Being my usual comprehensive and sympathetic self, I said I understood... so that left a bad taste in your mouth? I get it. But you know, I have nothing at all to do with that, or them.

He went on, "I also hate them because of what they did to Santa Claus (going on about Coca-Cola changed the image in commercializing it). Again, I understand.

He claimed that he pulled my files, and changed his mind, because he saw that I have been a very serious and reliable employee, with a very good reputation and highly valued for the hospital. Also that I have capacities and experience that go way beyond the post I have been in.

He was probably forced to do this, and the interview had to include a third person (his secretary had to sit in) probably as a witness to his behavior, which was probably enforced upon him too. They were probably worried about me suing them. I had no intention to, but the story had reached levels in which other parties were getting ready to attack (the syndicate and the social security office).

What has come of this is the realization, through his on admission, that "racism" or prejudice because of my nationality, is the root of the behaviors I get repeteadly assulted with. All those who have done it didn't know me personally, but had knowledge of where I come from.

I have asserted often that the french don't hate americans - they have an admiration and almost worship of them.... but that perception also spurs resentment. Just like anyone that puts another on a pedestal, a love/hate feeling is created.

Hell, sorry.. I needed to write this out somewhere, this was not the best place to do that.
It connected in my mind because of the strange way that it is assumed white americans do not suffer prejudice and racism. If I had been arab, no one would dare act that way towards me, much less say outwardly to me that they hate arabs as an excuse for them to do so.

People tend to assume here that issues of racism and prejudice do not pertain to me, as I am not considered of a background that is targetted. This is false, and gives it more room to continue.
The tv shows sent out here which focus on the worst aspects of our society and people do not help!!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
The problem is you can't just lump people together by the color of their skin and assume some kind of universal social pattern that connects them all. "White People" come from all over the planet. You can be European, Irish, French, American, etc. and be "white". Same with Black, Brown, etc.

How much in common do you think a middle class Black Canadian Man has with a South African Tribesman??? Probably nothing other than skin color. But they're both Black right???

What about a poor Mexican girl born in Mexico with a Middle eastern girl in Iran??? Both have brown skin so obviously they must share some kind of stereotypical attribute, correct???

How about a Southern born white cowboy here in America with a northern Italian boy who's the son of an Italian Diplomat??? Think they pretty much have the same world view and mannerisms??? Doubtful.

"White People", whether or not it is being commented on socially as a good thing or a bad thing makes no difference because "White" doesn't mean anything other than visually, you have light skin color. Same goes for any other Color too which we all know and understand. This is why people get weird at anything said about "Some Racial Identifier" People ......" here in the US because we are supposed to know by now that such statements are in fact BS stereotypes.

When the news labels "Black Protestors" as "Gangster Thugs" or whatever and attributes it to "Black Culture" does anyone assume you could throw that same type of implication to a Black Man born in some remote area of France who is protesting some issue with it having the same meaning at all??? I seriously doubt it.

Why, because skin color isn't some kind of known characteristic or personality trait to be accounted for or assumed to mean anything at all. When it is used that way or implied, it's racist and it's a BS. Even when it's done to compliment that group too. All the same inaccurate assumption however it's used.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I guess this thread is not so much about MTV but more about reality tv shows . One that comes to mind is swamp people . After being fooled a little by the first couple of shows i watched as i watched with pre conceived ideas i came to realise that one of its stars Troy Landry is the perfect example of what a husband/dad should be . His sense of community spirit and family should be the blueprint all of us aspire to .

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Of course, I am speaking as an american outside of the country, but I think the color of the skin IS an influence in how people act!

Because there is conscious awareness of "racism" against people according to their skin color- in this country, even if someone knew I was american, and hated americans, they would not dare let go and act on it if I was a black American.

The media and public broadcast daily that people of darker skin are vulnerable to racism, those from countries of Africa, as well as those in America (they receive the news reports from our country, which express the plight of racism against blacks in America). They would be highly conscious of having to rein and even try to repress any urge to be prejudice.

The fact that I am a white American gives them license to let fly. I might as well be a southern plantation slave owner- I do not deserve to be considered with respect as an individual. A black american, on the other hand, is seen as one of the victims of us whites, so not part of the America they hate.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

You do realize that if the options of:

A. Pay reparations to minorities

or

B. Leave the country

were presented to "whites," there would probably be a civil war and/or revolution.

That is a horrible idea.
edit on 10-7-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

I believe that poster is a troll who is just trying to cause more division, for whatever reasons. Maybe they are sitting in a basement laughing at all the reactions, thinking they are totally cool. Or maybe something else. Either way, their post was so ridiculous, there is no way we should believe it was anything more than that. Only totally insane people talk that way.

For that reason, I just ignored it and chose not to entertain the idea of responding to it.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

" All Effective Propaganda must be Popular and its Intellectual level must be Adjusted to the most Limited Intelligence among those it is addressed to…to influence a whole people, we must Avoid Excessive Intellectual Demands on our public, and too much caution cannot be exerted in this direction. "

Adolf Hitler - 1940

Seems to me some in the Media Business and on some Collage Campuses have taken that Advice to Heart here in America Lately ....Hmm....

edit on 10-7-2015 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Hey MTV, us white people were being sarcastic when we said "why don't white people have a show"

Someone please introduce MTV to sarcasm, or quaaludes

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: ghostrager

I'm very hopeful about this because I'm thinking this will force white youth to really begin to examine what place, if any, they have in the future of the US. Hopefully, at the end of the process of watching this movie and talking about it with their friends, families and school mates, they'll really start to give their future some deep thought. It would be a big help in that effort if concomitant with this movie, someone in a leadership position, perhaps again....MTV, began to reopen the debate about Reparations, the form they would take, who would pay them and how the repayment would be made. That would be a big help in getting white youth to really start thinking about how much its going to cost them if they stay in the US.

One thing I hope that comes through to the white youth viewers is that, being white, saying "I'm sorry" is never going to be enough. They're white and much more is expected of them in terms of what they owe non-white society. Once that comes through to them, I think they'll finally begin to see how hopelessly difficult a future in the US is going to be for them.

The white youth doesn't even know what you're talking about. Walk into a school in the country or burbs and take a good look around, all you'll see is white kids with saggy pants and flat-billed hats, and every one of them will be blaring "rap" any chance they get.

No...black people do not need a sorry. Why? Because a whole generation of white people need to hand over their hard-earned cash for something they have absolutely nothing to do with? Lmao, get out of here.

If any peoples need cash for anything, it's the natives. They were damn-near murdered completely off the map and still, TO THIS DAY, live in "reservations." At least black slaves had meals and a fairly safe place to sleep. Natives were murdered, infected with sickness on purpose, among many other heinous things.

And sorry, bud, but future of the United States will be one of unity and intelligence, because the youth of today have abundant access to information that NO ONE in mankind's History has ever had all at once, and most people, smart people, have no time for petty out-dated and ridiculous ideals such as "racism."

Any blacks or whites that perpetrate racism are emotional cripples, and the weakest link in the evolution chain, and as nature usually does, eventually they'll die off like fleas on a dead cat.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

This is the new normal they're teaching in colleges in the whole Western world now, you wonder why the far right is on the rise in Europe when this is the new normal they're trying to push. Especially with the whole immigration issue. They should know though, that we'll never give up Europe.

Who knows, maybe it'll be Helter Skelter in the US. Maybe Mad Max too, I gotta admit, I'd be a little disappointed if all that happened and there were no zombies.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

So you believe the world is gonna end becIse they made a show called white people? Lol

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

That part where you tried to justify slavery because native American had genocide committed against them yeeeeaaahhhh that's not a good look right there. Lol

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I know you guys don't like the show but don't spew blatantly hateful words with contempt your only proving people right all this conjecture bashing this or that isn't going to change #.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

could also be implying banishment, or being pushed out.

Or it could simply be a statement that white people will become 2nd, or even 3rd class citizens in this country, which has been a fantasy of theirs for a while..

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

wtf are you on about?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: UnBreakable

Classic "look over there" fallacy.

Sort your sh# out America.

Prioritise your outrage.

Maybe if you made as much noise about your criminal injustice system than you did about a TV show that white privilege wouldn't be so evidently dripping from the froth in your mouths.

lol..

You toss out a red herring, then you get pissy when people try to steer the conversation back on topic.

As i said before, the idea of "white privilege", in this day and age, is just as silly as the idea of "male privilege".

What's even more laughable about that last bit, is that you think that a few people discussing a moronic piece of programming on a television network, is REALLY more substantial than the campaign to fix the justice system. This statement alone, demonstrates your inarguable ignorance on the subject. The fact that you think that a few people talking about a moronic piece of programming on a television network, is somehow, some kind of demonstration of "white privilege".....well, that's just icing on the cake..

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: BlastedCaddy

Quite.....and based on what i'm seeing, it looks like it's gonna stay that way, lol

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

and if the shoe fits, you're an ignoramus.

You have not even the slightest clue what you're on about....everything you've said up to this point has demonstrated that quite readily.

You, sir, are a fool.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join