It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MTV's new show "White People"

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

White people already do riots. For Football games.

Anyway -- Empty V can run all the garbage programing they like. It doesn't effect me in the least.

"I'm a white male. You can't even hurt my feelings." (Louis CK)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Kinda, except each video was about 3-5 minutes long. Palladia consists largely of long form (45+ minute) live shows, which is great when you have a great live act, and booooorrriiiing when you are watching (and listening to) a bunch of noodlers.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I can't even read this with a straight face. It's oozing with something that I can't quite name.

A reality check for you...

All youth would be wise to take a look at what their future in the U.S. will be. It doesn't matter what race they are, they are in for a world of shat regardless. The divide that you seem to be promoting here will just make that world far worse than it would be already. Why foster that? Why foster ignorance and hate where none should be?

Don't bother with an answer as I suppose the questions are rhetorical in nature.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: seasoul
The problem with humanity is, there has been too much "white privilege!"

Showing a picture of a bunch of privileged white kids with jobs doesn't help matters any.

The one kid even has a pocket watch! How very dare he....

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: grandmakdw

White people should be all for laws that benefit minorities.

After all, they're going to be minorities themselves eventually. The laws they pass to help minorities today will be the laws that help them in the future.

Just watch. When the math finally clicks over and whites "technically" become a minority, you will discover that goalposts will be uprooted and moved so that any benefits afforded previously to non-white minorities will magically disappear for whites. Somehow, we will still be the white devil oppressors.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

You forgot the ones who are smiling.. How dare they!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: ghostrager

I'm very hopeful about this because I'm thinking this will force white youth to really begin to examine what place, if any, they have in the future of the US. Hopefully, at the end of the process of watching this movie and talking about it with their friends, families and school mates, they'll really start to give their future some deep thought. It would be a big help in that effort if concomitant with this movie, someone in a leadership position, perhaps again....MTV, began to reopen the debate about Reparations, the form they would take, who would pay them and how the repayment would be made. That would be a big help in getting white youth to really start thinking about how much its going to cost them if they stay in the US.

One thing I hope that comes through to the white youth viewers is that, being white, saying "I'm sorry" is never going to be enough. They're white and much more is expected of them in terms of what they owe non-white society. Once that comes through to them, I think they'll finally begin to see how hopelessly difficult a future in the US is going to be for them.

I have to ask, are you trolling or just insane. Do you know anyone who owns slaves, apart from international bankers and debt slaves and that would be all of us, race don't matter? Reparations, pound sand. F'ing people with their hand out cause they think they're entitled due to something that happened a very long time ago. Why don't you go ask the Persians or the Arabs or the jews or the Italians for reparations? Oh wait, they'll tell you to pound sand as well.

Best thing people can do is forgive everything, along with that 700 trillion in world wide debt, and then start over and hope we get it right.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

originally posted by: JadeStar

It was awesome in the late 80's early 90's. My favorite block was "headbanger's ball"

I heard about that. i just found it hard to believe 'cause all i've ever seen on it were reality shows.

Nice to meet another metalhead
(tried to do the rock horns with the backslash-m-slash combination but ats doesn't likey)

BTW: Ever watch that show Metal Evolution?
Nah I mostly Anime these days.

Because anime is awesome.

You're right, Anime is awesome. The conventions are fun too!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I support this discussion and show, I'm far younger than the classic MTV generation... I don't remember music videos but I do remember the 90's and TRL, when it was somewhat based on music. After all the crap shows MTV has put out (Teen Mom)... I appreciate them trying to create a dialog, whether bias or not. It's something that should be discussed. I am a white man, but this country has so much racism... I think it's good for our youth to think about and see =) POW
edit on 7/9/2015 by christopher.eugene because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Twitter comment that sums up this pretty sufficiently.

Twitter name : CPHOWES

Why do I need to be ashamed of my ethnicity so someone else can be proud of their's?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

It was awesome in the late 80's early 90's. My favorite block was "headbanger's ball"

I heard about that. i just found it hard to believe 'cause all i've ever seen on it were reality shows.

Nice to meet another metalhead
(tried to do the rock horns with the backslash-m-slash combination but ats doesn't likey)

BTW: Ever watch that show Metal Evolution?
Nah I mostly Anime these days.

Because anime is awesome.

You're right, Anime is awesome. The conventions are fun too!

i bet you look nice in cosplay. as for the show...its just another way to distract the sheep.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoreBeer
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I suggest you talk about subjects you have knowledge on.

You are not from the US. You have zero idea what goes on here besides what you see on the media which is 99% lies on this issue.

There are enough social programs, incentives, and handouts for minorities that the tables are more than even. White people can't even dream of getting this level of assistance.

I'm not even attempting to play "victim" as so many like to accuse. I'm imparting knowledge to you on what the realities are here in the states.

I would say the scales of equality favor minorities by a large margin in this country in this day and age.

Garbage like this MTV show indicate as much.

Imagine a "Black People" show. The hilarity at even the suggestion of such a show indicates as much.

Imagine a "Black People" show. Really MoreBeer are you serious? Do you know how many black sitcoms there have been?!?!?!

Here are a few examples link

You think minorities have it easier? What part of town are you from? Do you think the city/state cares if you're white and move to the hood? Are they going to repave the side walk for you? Do you not think the whole structure and creation of cities and housing in the United States was not set up to benefit whites and make it a difficult way of life for minorities, especially the black community?

Do you realize that young middle class people are now moving into those low income neighborhoods and sometimes a gentrification process happens? What happens then? Rent goes up, because of the increase in property value. Do minorities not have to pay rent increases?

Now with MTV, owned by Viacom, they also own BET, VH1, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, Spike, etc...So do we want to go into every program and all content these channels have ever come out with that may have manipulated society and culture?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Viacom huh? Figures. They are big on administration supported social issues.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I just threw up a little in my mouth watching that vid. "White privilege". What a load of crap. Come to my world and see all that "privilege", lol. I wish I could get special college grants due to nothing more than my skin color.

I wonder what would happen if we created a show called "black people". Hoooo boy! That wouldn't end well...
edit on 10-7-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Yep, there's no struggling white families in America at all... We're all rich and live in mansions and drive Ferrari's.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

It's still racist. I don't even care if it's about showing "White People" in a positive way or a negative way. Whatever social commentary direction it's going makes no difference. It doesn't change the fact that the show is based on a Racial Identifier of a group of people. It's still racist even if it was called "Asian People" or "Latino People" or whatever other typical Race Label is used. Using "White People" is no different.

It's not that the premise is out of line IMO either as long as a show called "Black People" or "Irish People" could also be made with the same result. But it can't. So until all "Race Identifiers" are allowed to be a social commentary show without people losing their cool, then I don't think any of them should be allowed. We either need to all be included in these little group therapy sessions or there shouldn't be any. Because any time you single out a specific group based on Race, it's racist, by definition.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Imagine a "Black People" show. Really MoreBeer are you serious? Do you know how many black sitcoms there have been?!?!?!

You can link a site full of black sitcoms all day long, but you'd never come across one called "black people". Are you serious? You equate black sitcoms like "the Jeffersons" to something called "black people"? You do realize a show called "black people" like the show called "white people" would simply be a show to belittle the entire black race, don't you?

What a stupid argument you're making, wow. Anything to defend hatred of the entire white race.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

No one hates white ppl stop acting like someone with a victim mentality the same mentality you say you hate get over it your embarrassing yourself.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: christophoros'

NO-ONE?? Really? It seems a lot of people hate whites now no matter the spin being tried to put on it.

So you support a show called "black people"? WTF ever, use common sense, that's all.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

Q: Does "Wasicun," the Sioux word for the white man, really mean "greedy person who steals the fat"?
A: No. Wasicun is a real word in both Lakota and Dakota Sioux (variously spelled Wasicu, Wašicun, Wasichu, Washicun, or Washichu), and it does mean "non-Indian." But its literal meaning is someone with special powers. Of course as American-Sioux relations went downhill, the word began to be viewed more negatively. But the claim that wasicu had a negative meaning like "steals the bacon" or "greedy" or "tells lies" is not actually true--if anything, the original meaning was a positive one. Today, wasicu does sometimes have the connotation of a greedy or dishonorable person, because many Sioux perceive white people as being rather greedy and dishonorable; however the word does not actually have this or any other negative meaning, and it is used in ordinary contexts in spoken Lakota, not just derogatory ones.

Source

Just did some research on the video posted on page two, and it potentially confirms the whole poor research slant of the MTV program. Apparently the word could also be used to refer to black people etc who were referred to as 'black wasi'cun.' Equally it could refer to a Native American who had 'turned' into that perceived term.

I feel in this instance the full truth is far more interesting and sad than the glib discussion from the MTV clips so far. Unfortunately any discussion about this documentary will likely be dismissed as 'lol white people's feelz' or something like this and I'm fairly certain that very little positive will come from it.

Just seems like one more reason to hate on the 'entertainment era' of our society.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join