It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Question: Why are so Many People Afraid/Unaccepting of Transgender People?

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
not a very good one a reply to: ketsuko

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrappedPrincess
Your being presumptuous because I really don't nor do I really care to, to be honest.a reply to: Boadicea

Okay. You know yourself better than I do so I'll trust your judgment. My apologies for presuming you're smart. I promise I won't make that mistake again.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

There are cases of domestic abuse perpetrated by women on men every year. I don't know without doing the legwork what the numbers are, but it does happen. So I would not put it past the possibility that you could get some predators of the transitioning female on male kind. The thing that men are less likely to report things like that. If you were beat up and sexually assaulted by a woman in the locker room, what would you do? The societal pressure is there for most men to keep silent about it.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Oh I admit Im heated at this point but Im passionate about this and don't really have much going on today so here I stay for now.a reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Thats cool Ill return the sentiment in kind a reply to: Boadicea

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Oh I admit Im heated at this point but Im passionate about this and don't really have much going on today so here I stay for now.a reply to: Krazysh0t

You'll continue to get the 'calm down you're acting irrational' treatment.

Passion is frowned on if it begins to cloud the all powerful intellect!

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

There are cases of domestic abuse perpetrated by women on men every year. I don't know without doing the legwork what the numbers are, but it does happen. So I would not put it past the possibility that you could get some predators of the transitioning female on male kind. The thing that men are less likely to report things like that. If you were beat up and sexually assaulted by a woman in the locker room, what would you do? The societal pressure is there for most men to keep silent about it.

As I mentioned, I don't have a problem with it myself. Others may but I will stand firm that I do not support the very real implications of allowing men in the girls locker rooms and dressing rooms, especially under the umbrella of not being able to challenge their presence without being sued for discrimination. It is a recipe for disaster.

link   

A lot of people here are passionate about quite a few things, but if you pay attention, you will also notice that we also tend to be people who also disagree quite a bit. However, we also mostly get along.

The reason this works as well as it does is because we keep our passionate emotions in check. You cannot get upset and expect to last long here. There is too much controversy discussed on a daily basis.

link   
Doesn't bother me one bit you continue to treat me in whatever manner makes you feel good about yourself ok. a reply to: corvuscorrax

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Again I don't really care and you can check my small post history to see how actually down to earth I am. Check out my thread brief synopsis (though I admittedly made a typo spelling synopsis as synopis) and you will see. a reply to: ketsuko

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: infolurker

War on Women.. LOL

I'm a feminist who supports Equality.

It would be very hypocritical of me to support Women's Equality and not Trans Equality.

I've encountered women in the restroom that make me feel uncomfortable. The way restrooms are designed is scary in itself. They're like caves set apart from the rest of the world.

I vote for redesign where individual stalls are along a wall clearly visible to everyone. Washrooms and mirrors can be separate in an open area.

And showers and locker rooms?

And preventing men pretending or claiming to be transgender to get unchallenged access to womens bathrooms and locker rooms?

Cmon, have some common sense here.

Molestations happen everywhere.

No, I am not going to live my life in fear of the off chance a perverted man will go to that much trouble.

Shall we ban Lesbians from women's locker rooms too?

Why, they are women?

No, they are deviant lecherous Lesbians out to get your young daughter.

Are you saying they don't exist? Can you explain why our basketball coach in high school used to watch us shower all the time ...

She was kind of like the art teacher who used to leer down the front of our shirts in junior high. He was a creep too.

No, I'm not saying they don't exist.

I'm saying the fear of a transgender male or even a fake one on the premise of being ogled sexually is kind of ridiculous. Because you already have Lesbians. (a point of view - no disregard for Lesbians).

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Do you. I was just trying to give some friendly advise. People tend to say things they regret when they let themselves get too emotionally attached to an argument.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Well this thread also illustrates another one of the apparent cognitive dissonances I see in society today.

Right here, we have a big discussion about how we ought to be viewing the naked bodies of the male and female in a completely innocent manner.

However, we are having this discussion set in a society in which just about everything these days is set in a hyper-sexualized context.

Does no one see the apparent contradiction in that?

Now I would prefer the first societal view point where the body was simply the body and not a hyper-sexualized tool, but in the society we have today, kids as young as kindergarten are being taught the sexual uses of their bodies before they are even half aware of their bodies. How can their be an innocent view of the naked body in that cultural context? It just plain seems contradictory to me.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

Good.

But in all seriousness, I'm calling a ceasefire. I won't pretend to understand why, but I get that this is quite the touchy subject for you, and since I get no sense that we can discuss this reasonably or fairly, I don't want to engage any further. I do not see any good that can come from it. So good luck and God bless.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
You have shown me no disrespect only made a suggestion you felt to be good advice. I am going to politely decline and demonstrate my ability tactful and not snap at you who have done me no wrong.a reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Agreed a reply to: Boadicea

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

War on Women.. LOL

It would be very hypocritical of me to support Women's Equality and not Trans Equality.

I've encountered women in the restroom that make me feel uncomfortable. The way restrooms are designed is scary in itself. They're like caves set apart from the rest of the world.

I vote for redesign where individual stalls are along a wall clearly visible to everyone. Washrooms and mirrors can be separate in an open area.

And preventing men pretending or claiming to be transgender to get unchallenged access to womens bathrooms and locker rooms?

No, I am not going to live my life in fear of the off chance a perverted man will go to that much trouble.

Why, they are women?

Are you saying they don't exist? Can you explain why our basketball coach in high school used to watch us shower all the time ...

She was kind of like the art teacher who used to leer down the front of our shirts in junior high. He was a creep too.

I'm saying the fear of a transgender male or even a fake one on the premise of being ogled sexually is kind of ridiculous. Because you already have Lesbians. (a point of view - no disregard for Lesbians).

Eh, any fear I would have isn't the fear of the transgender doing something. If the transgender is truly transgender, then they should be behaving as a girl.

My fear, is that the presence of a male body will potentially cause issues for the other girls and problems with them.

My thought is the scenario could go like this:

Transgender comes in and stimulates some kind of attraction in one of the other girls. This causes confusion, and it manifests in hostility maybe. More bullying. It could be taken out on the transgender or other girls.

Let's be honest. Adolescent girls are mean enough to each other when they are fighting about the crushes who aren't naked in their midst every day.
edit on 18-5-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

War on Women.. LOL

Why, they are women?

Eh, any fear I would have isn't the fear of the transgender doing something. If the transgender is truly transgender, then they should be behaving as a girl.

My fear, is that the presence of a male body will potentially cause issues for the other girls and problems with them.

My thought is the scenario could go like this:

Transgender comes in and stimulates some kind of attraction in one of the other girls. This causes confusion, and it manifests in hostility maybe. More bullying. It could be taken out on the transgender or other girls.

So no gay man either.

But, lesbians OK.

The fear is kind of odd.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Well this thread also illustrates another one of the apparent cognitive dissonances I see in society today.

Right here, we have a big discussion about how we ought to be viewing the naked bodies of the male and female in a completely innocent manner.

However, we are having this discussion set in a society in which just about everything these days is set in a hyper-sexualized context.

Does no one see the apparent contradiction in that?

I'm glad you pointed that out. I did have that thought, and I've thought to mention it in regards to our focus on gender, but didn't want to go off on too many tangents.

The next thought that comes to mind is that we're being played from both sides against the middle -- just one more tactic in the divide-and-conquer battle.

I understand this is a very real issue for people, and I'm not trying to minimize or trivialize that, nor do I want to politicize it, but I do believe it's being exploited by others for political reasons.

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join