It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Question: Why are so Many People Afraid/Unaccepting of Transgender People?

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
then they should be behaving as a girl.

What do you even mean by that?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: aorAki

then they should be behaving as a girl.

What do you even mean by that?

If you have a transgender who is a girl trapped in a boys body, then they should be behaving as a girl. Yes?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: infolurker

War on Women.. LOL

I'm a feminist who supports Equality.

It would be very hypocritical of me to support Women's Equality and not Trans Equality.

I've encountered women in the restroom that make me feel uncomfortable. The way restrooms are designed is scary in itself. They're like caves set apart from the rest of the world.

I vote for redesign where individual stalls are along a wall clearly visible to everyone. Washrooms and mirrors can be separate in an open area.

And showers and locker rooms?

And preventing men pretending or claiming to be transgender to get unchallenged access to womens bathrooms and locker rooms?

Cmon, have some common sense here.

Molestations happen everywhere.

No, I am not going to live my life in fear of the off chance a perverted man will go to that much trouble.

Shall we ban Lesbians from women's locker rooms too?

Why, they are women?

No, they are deviant lecherous Lesbians out to get your young daughter.

Are you saying they don't exist? Can you explain why our basketball coach in high school used to watch us shower all the time ...

She was kind of like the art teacher who used to leer down the front of our shirts in junior high. He was a creep too.

No, I'm not saying they don't exist.

I'm saying the fear of a transgender male or even a fake one on the premise of being ogled sexually is kind of ridiculous. Because you already have Lesbians. (a point of view - no disregard for Lesbians).

Eh, any fear I would have isn't the fear of the transgender doing something. If the transgender is truly transgender, then they should be behaving as a girl.

My fear, is that the presence of a male body will potentially cause issues for the other girls and problems with them.

My thought is the scenario could go like this:

Transgender comes in and stimulates some kind of attraction in one of the other girls. This causes confusion, and it manifests in hostility maybe. More bullying. It could be taken out on the transgender or other girls.

So no gay man either.

But, lesbians OK.

The fear is kind of odd.

You'll need to explain that.

I wasn't aware that being a transgender was equivalent to being a gay man.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Again, What prevents any man from claiming to be transgender in accessing womens locker rooms and bathrooms unchallenged because to even challenge it is discrimination!!!

Those men already exist anyway. Men have been caught peeping and using hidden cameras all the time. I don't think those men will go through all that trouble to be a transgender just to waltz in and be found out easily.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: infolurker

Again, What prevents any man from claiming to be transgender in accessing womens locker rooms and bathrooms unchallenged because to even challenge it is discrimination!!!

Those men already exist anyway. Men have been caught peeping and using hidden cameras all the time. I don't think those men will go through all that trouble to be a transgender just to waltz in and be found out easily.

Maybe, maybe not. You'd be surprised. Look at all the people who abusing the therapy animal label in order to have their pets with them everywhere they go.

Again, how many people will question it if they get threatened with discrimination lawsuits if they try?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I understand but wouldn't they notice that the guy is ogling them way too much and maybe have a "stiffy"?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

I understand but wouldn't they notice that the guy is ogling them way too much and maybe have a "stiffy"?

Likely the same way that people notice that the dogs aren't therapy animals, but when someone yells, "Lawsuit!" How many people press the point?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Ok one of my girl friends just text me and it really lightened my mood so Im going to end it with gender neutral bathrooms are going to be about the best option available for the time being.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I think, on this thread, that the discussion is too focused on the Bathroom/Locker room issue. To be sure, it is an issue that needs to be addressed but in reality it's a small issue or minor issue.

If the only issue to transgender acceptance in society was the bathroom, that would be great. But somehow, I think all the violence, bullying, harassment, assault, discrimination, and suicide would tell us that there are many, many more issues.

How about first, we just treat people with respect and tolerance.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Agreed. Let's focus on that first.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
One last thing and I mean this sincerely and Im not trying to to be mean but you need to stop being scared of everything and making excuses for intolerance. It is sad and makes you come off as a fear mongerer, one other poster pointed out in different words that a little situational awareness would go a long way in determining who is a threat to you in the bathroom, Namaste. a reply to: ketsuko

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: honested3

1) I think there are a handful of extremists who are uncomfortable with change, especially such a new one.

2) A lot of older generations are still adapting to homosexuality in the public sphere.

3) People get worried that there rights will be infringed somehow to accommodate yours.

4) Sometimes us humans, project our insecurities onto others thinks they 'have a problem' when maybe we haven't accepted ourselves yet.

People are people no matter what they choose to do with their personal lives and we have to be civil with each other.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

War on Women.. LOL

It would be very hypocritical of me to support Women's Equality and not Trans Equality.

I've encountered women in the restroom that make me feel uncomfortable. The way restrooms are designed is scary in itself. They're like caves set apart from the rest of the world.

I vote for redesign where individual stalls are along a wall clearly visible to everyone. Washrooms and mirrors can be separate in an open area.

And preventing men pretending or claiming to be transgender to get unchallenged access to womens bathrooms and locker rooms?

No, I am not going to live my life in fear of the off chance a perverted man will go to that much trouble.

Why, they are women?

Are you saying they don't exist? Can you explain why our basketball coach in high school used to watch us shower all the time ...

She was kind of like the art teacher who used to leer down the front of our shirts in junior high. He was a creep too.

I'm saying the fear of a transgender male or even a fake one on the premise of being ogled sexually is kind of ridiculous. Because you already have Lesbians. (a point of view - no disregard for Lesbians).

Eh, any fear I would have isn't the fear of the transgender doing something. If the transgender is truly transgender, then they should be behaving as a girl.

My fear, is that the presence of a male body will potentially cause issues for the other girls and problems with them.

Transgender comes in and stimulates some kind of attraction in one of the other girls. This causes confusion, and it manifests in hostility maybe. More bullying. It could be taken out on the transgender or other girls.

So no gay man either.

But, lesbians OK.

The fear is kind of odd.

Physical body male - - not sexually interested in females.
Transgender M/F - - not sexually interested in females.
Lesbian - - sexually interested in females.

But, perfectly acceptable to have Lesbians in locker room because they have a physically female body.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Things I ponder...

We can't get over people changing their identities, people's skin colors, or their socioeconomic status. How on Earth would we deal with an alien species?

People here want "disclosure" to happen? Intelligent alien life won't be shown to us until we start seeing everyone as humans, and just humans through our eyes.

At the end of the day we're all stuck on this rock together, and its our amazing variety that makes us special. We'd field one hell of an "Intergalactic Olympic" team if we had to put one together -- assuming we could overcome our differences.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

You dont need to convince me, your body, your choice in my opinion.

Takes all sorts to make this world. Which is not to say that if one of my children decided to go down that particular road i would not be a bit flabbergasted.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

War on Women.. LOL

Why, they are women?

So no gay man either.

But, lesbians OK.

The fear is kind of odd.

Physical body male - - not sexually interested in females.
Transgender M/F - - not sexually interested in females.
Lesbian - - sexually interested in females.

But, perfectly acceptable to have Lesbians in locker room because they have a physically female body.

Not quite.

The issue is injecting sex where it is better if it stays out.

I personally could care less who you want to have sex with.

But if you don't see the difference between a transgender girl (? - Is a girl in a man's body called a transgirl or transboy) who has the physical seeming of something they aren't and a lesbian who simply has to maintain behavior standards in order for the sex to stay out things, I can't help you. Of course, since now everyone knows who is and isn't a lesbian, everyone knows which way the wind blows, so that becomes a problem too.

Ideally, no one would have to share with anyone if they didn't want to.

The alternative is for us to move away from a society where everything is 24/7 sex, and it would maybe stop being such an issue.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

You do know that not everyone is '24/7 sex' but yeah yeah rotten apples.

I only had sex once and frankly it was awful. No intentions of ever going down that road again.

edit on 18-5-2015 by corvuscorrax because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Thank you and a flabbergasted reaction would be fairly normal just so long as you still love them A reply toandy06shake

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

You do know that not everyone is '24/7 sex' but yeah yeah rotten apples.

I only had sex once and frankly it was awful. No intentions of ever going down that road again.

Not everyone is, but society pushes things that. If you can honestly look at our society and not see things are all pushing a sexualized view of the world and the people in it, then I can't help you. I'm not saying it has to stop, but this is one of the inevitable results - we shouldn't be surprised when everything is viewed through that context.

You want people to share a space when everyone is naked and not have to worry about how might be thinking about wanting to "do" you, you need to back off on a media and culture that promotes the idea that everyone is looking to hook up with anyone and everyone all the time. You know, stop teaching kindergarten kids about sex and maybe hang back on that for a few years. Let 'em be kids.

It might not take but a few years before people can look at a tasteful nude without immediately thinking if they want to hit that.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This reminds me of that shower scene in Starship Troopers where everybody, both male and female, took shower together like it was the most natural thing in the world and nobody was thinking about sex.

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join