It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Question: Why are so Many People Afraid/Unaccepting of Transgender People?

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrappedPrincess
Good point so lets just ban any position or occupation that may be an ideal place for a sexual predator. We have to protect the little women and children from the armies of pervs out there.a reply to: Firefly_

There are checks and balances in place to keep predators out of child-facing professions, you know. Convicted sexual predators generally don't get hired on as teachers, or doctors. In fact, I have a friend who is a registered sex offender. He had a terrible time trying to find a job, basically his options were either construction or some other mindless menial labor with little to no actual human contact. Anytime he applied for a job where he'd interact with the public, he'd get turned down due to his history.

Those same checks and balances can't apply at public restrooms. You can't screen people before they enter a restroom. (Not yet, at least) There is a big difference between occupations and public restrooms. You're building an improper strawman.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Good point so lets just ban any position or occupation that may be an ideal place for a sexual predator. We have to protect the little women and children from the armies of pervs out there.a reply to: Firefly_

Banning men who can say they are transgender from womens locker rooms and shower facilities is an excellent start.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Did you really refer to a blind person as lucky because they would not have to see a naked male body???? WTF kind of...face palma reply to: ketsuko

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I already said I believe in a third option. But this is not always available. There are those who don't fully pass who are early in transition, or there are other reasons. However there are cubicles in toilets that a person can use, with lockable doors. Nobody needs to expose any parts to anybody else. Those who do - they are the ones who need to be stopped, and let's face it, they'll do it regardless. But the rest, does it really matter.

If someone is stealth, that is they completely pass as the gender they identify with, how would you know any different? If they are a decent person just wanting to use the toilet? Fact is, plenty of people fall into this category and nobody is ever any the wiser - nor should they be IMO as they are just normal people wanting to live their lives in peace. If anything, going into the room that society says they should will only bring about more negativity, if a trans man is in the womans toilets, that will definitely cause distress for women even though he was born female. A trans woman in a mens room will also cause embarassment and potentially trouble.

Of course, there is a fourth option too. Just don't use public facilities. Go before you leave the house.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

What about banning trans men from men's locker rooms?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Go over and live in the middle east, you'll fit right in. They are all about oppression and covering the human body too lest it be seen and someones head explodes.a reply to: ketsuko

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Firefly_

I'm talking about locker rooms and showers, changing facilities.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I guess we'll just need to start building like 5 different sets of bathrooms and locker rooms at every location and maybe add a 6th for people who aren't sure what they are yet.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

There are no checks for those who have not yet been caught. My point is that if you block one route, they will simply find another. And in the meantime, innocent people suffer because you punish everyone for the crimes of a few.

link   

Did you really refer to a blind person as lucky because they would not have to see a naked male body???? WTF kind of...face palma reply to: ketsuko

Yes, I'm sorry for having a sense of humor.
edit on 18-5-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

link   
Sure and you don't have to like it, Im callous at this point.a reply to: ScientificRailgun

link   

Go over and live in the middle east, you'll fit right in. They are all about oppression and covering the human body too lest it be seen and someones head explodes.a reply to: ketsuko

Hyperbole much?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Speaking as a woman, if I were in a locker room and suddenly saw male parts I'd be more than a little uncomfortable. Just saying. As I've said before, in current society you can't expect people to change over night. I fully support the rights of transgender people, but I admit that even myself, would be a little uncomfortable if a physical man were in the same locker room as me, regardless if that person were a female mentally. One: I'm not used to seeing male dangly bits in the female locker room, it would be a shock. Two: Because of this irregularity, I would immediately wonder if I were about to be victimized. It's natural, because I'm not used to seeing it. It's not a "normal" thing in today's society.

Society will change, it has, and it will continue to do so. Perhaps in future I will be comfortable changing in the presence of men because it's become common. But today it's unreasonable, because perceptions must change before we can affect actual change.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

No offense or anything, but you may want to take a break from the thread. I think your emotions may be getting the better of your rationality.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
From the same person who said a blind person is lucky to be blind so as to not see a naked body, god forbid. SMFHa reply to: ketsuko

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Sure and you don't have to like it, Im callous at this point.a reply to: ScientificRailgun

If you act like a child, expect to be treated like one.

That's all I'll say about your attitude.

On Topic: You never answered my question. What are your opinions on gender neutral facilities? You've been so busy being snarky and rude that you may have missed that question, so I understand if you did.

I eagerly await your response.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Then, the older you get the harder it is to adapt to the changing norms. Some of these changes are going to have to wait until the older generations die out before becoming more pervasive.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Firefly_
a reply to: infolurker

What about banning trans men from men's locker rooms?

You would have to otherwise the trans women would say it was unequal.

I personally could care less but safety is not the overwhelming factor there. I don't think there is as much chance that a biological female who is or claims to be a transgender male or an impersonator is going to go predator on men and boys in a locker room. Female predators are nowhere near as numerous and most are non-violent. I have no problem with unisex showers for those Who Choose to use them. Choice is key. They are providing women no choice on the subject and forcing them to accept "anatomical men" in their facilities with no ability to challenge or object.

But I don't think men have anywhere near the same safety factors to worry about.

The slogans War on Women, A Woman's right to Choose have all new meanings with this topic.
edit on 18-5-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-5-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I was being facetious, clearly.a reply to: ScientificRailgun

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Okay bossa reply to: infolurker

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join